WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2012

Options

Replies

• borichfan
    borichfan Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I will be 50 next April, but i feel like i am over 50 now, i am so out of shape, because i quit exercising few years ago. I have 2 spare bedrooms FULL of exercise machines & equipment and not been using them. About 6 months ago, i bought me an Elliptical, been on it about 5 times. I weigh 220 lbs. and feel obese, my legs are always tired, i guess because of my weight.
    I work for the school & tomorrow is my last day of work, then we will be out for 10 weeks for the summer.
    My goals for the summer are:
    1.) To get back on track of eating right
    2.) Get back into the routine of exercising
    3.) Drink water.
    4.) Spend less time on the computer and more time being active.
    5.) Cut way back on eating out.
    6.) Cut back on the artificial sweetener i use in coffee, cut back on coffee too because the coffee & artificial sweetener makes me lazy & feel sluggish.
    7.) I am going to make healthy eating and exercising my first priority this summer. and when school starts back in Aug. i am going to keep it up.
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Here to a Thrilling Thursday all,

I am so stressed about this project at work. I know it will all be good once I get thru the day. I have two more interviews for other positions next week. (I didn't get the other one but oh well, I just keep on trying)

Take care.

Robin, Rit and the Bodman.
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Happy Day to All,

Rose- a twice baked potato....it's been so long since I've had one...good for you putting in a little extra exercise to burn it off:drinker: I'm going to share your poem with my DIL #3, she is a speech pathologist at a rehab / extended care / nursing home and I know she loves her little old people and she would appreciate it:heart:

Barbie- your doggies are blessed to have you as their owner...not many walk their dogs as often or as long as you do:smile:

jubar- sounds like you have a good trainer:flowerforyou:

fitz- glad to hear you are getting back into your therapy with your trainer:smile:

Michele- are your Chocolate Bran Muffins of a healthy variety:huh: or for those that you give away. I make a bran muffin that's pretty healthy but the Chocolate...that would be wonderful:wink:

Banded- so glad you broke your plateau:drinker: that's always a feeling of success.

Kat- love the picture of you with your Aunt:heart:

Jenni- working out with your daughter sounds like a great way to keep your relationship going. I Love it when I get to do special things with my sons.:happy:

Amanda- your words of encouragement are so timely:flowerforyou:

Becky282- Welcome:flowerforyou: this is the place to get plenty of encouragement.

Robin- will look forward to hearing how next weeks interviews go...sorry you didn't get the last one. Hubby still hasn't had any other communication with the companies he interviewed with:huh: common courtesy would be to at least say no you aren't interested.

Last night we had those slow moving thunderstoms come through our part of town. Lightening & thunder sent Peanut under our bed:cry: he really didn't like it. Then when the next round came several hours later the hail totally beat up my flowers:sad: I know they will come back but it's so hard to wait.

#1 Son called me yesterday when I was doing my workout and told me to get on the World Series of Poker web site and check out the live feed of the final table as he would be the dealer by the time I finished my workout. So I did and it was fun to see him there dealing to the final 4 people of the days tournement. Those people had a lot of chips in front of them:wink:

I have lots to do and a messy desk calling me. Everyone have a great day on your logging the food, drinking plenty of water:drinker: and let's keep moving.

Laura80111:smile:
  • katiejarr
    katiejarr Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile:
    Good Morning All

Ive been back reading all the posts and I wanted to take a sec to respond to
    :bigsmile: kathyszoo, I also suffered badly from osteoarthritis, I have it in my back, my hands, my feet, my neck, basically all over and I would wake up in the morning and be all hunched over like an 80 year old woman BUT after I lost weight it really magically went away!!! I am virtually cured! I literally have no pain any more. Now I do exercise a bit more than I used too but I have always done some sort of exercise, but I am better at yoga than before (my fat stomach doest get in the way anymore :laugh: ), really though loosing almost 35 pounds has really really made a huge difference in the pain...so I don't know where you are in your weight loss but for me this has made a huge difference....I am only 5'1 and I started out at 170 pounds and now Im just over 135 and Im a small frame and my goal is to weigh 110, so just thought I would share :heart: :heart:

Love Kat
  • westernjoy
    westernjoy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Went back to the doctor for some results on blood work. Cholesterol is 189 borderline high. But we decide to do a vitamin D test they came back extremely low. Already do 1000 calcium and 800 on vitamin D. She up me to 2000 on vitamin D for 3 months and re test. This should be a standard test.Vitamin D affects how other vitamins react or doesn't react. Lack of Vitamin D can cause seasonal depression. Which I have.They also say it can affect your ability to lose weight. And a handful of other thing. BEFORE YOU RUN OUT GET SOME VITAMIN D YOU CAN OVER DOSE ON IT. WHATEVER YOUR BODY DOESN'T USE STAYS IN THE LIVER AND CAN AFFECT YOUR KIDNEYS. My doctor was saying how people in the northern hemispheres should be tested. For the lack of sun light. That would really be true for us who live in PNW.
    Blood pressure was 101 over 60. Pulse was 56. All and all I will be reading on vitamins and minerals how they affect us.
    Change my eating habits and losing weight has really helped.
    Joyce
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy onderland Kat!
    Hope everyone is doing ok.Need to find time to read the post.
    Spent time with Violet in the pool,got a workout and cooled off.
    happy thurs!
    HUGS
  • sjoytomasi
    sjoytomasi Posts: 12
    Options
    You sound just like me :0 Best to you.......
  • katiejarr
    katiejarr Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Happy onderland Kat!
    Hope everyone is doing ok.Need to find time to read the post.
    Spent time with Violet in the pool,got a workout and cooled off.
    happy thurs!
    HUGS

Thanks Jane!!
    xoxo
    :heart: Kat
  • carolmeek
    carolmeek Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm new. Well, not really, I was using this app on my Iphone but since I don't have any Iphone any longer......here I am.

My goals for June:

Gym 5x week - 2 hr/visit
    Walk 5x week - 3.5 mph/50 minutes
    Eat more protein, cut back on fats
    Get more sleep
    Drink my protein drink before I go to bed
    Put my hormone cream on both am & pm

Okay, so with that list I might be able to accomplish about half which will make me happy.....:)
  • carolmeek
    carolmeek Posts: 2
    Options
    Seriously, I can't delete a post?
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good evening all, just a quick note tonight. Worked a 10 hour day and am exhausted. I walked a 15 min mile at lunch time and I wanted to walk with my daughter this evening but it was threatening a thunder storm.:huh: So I did 20 min on the stationary bike. ( would have rode longer but my legs are getting really tight and started to burn) Thank you everyone for all of the encouragement and I am so glad everyone liked the poem. I pray everyone meets their goals. Tomorrow is the first official weigh in and I can't wait to see if my hard work has paid off. I will be 57 on June 20th and I would like to lose 10 lbs as a present to myself :bigsmile: ) Everyone have a great Thursday. :drinker: Rose
  • djhobs
    djhobs Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Have been a little mia...DS is home until the 17th!!:love: It has only been a couple of days, but wow real growth in him as a person. He has probably huggedme more in these few days than in the last 6 years...what a feeling!! :smooched: I am going enjoy every one of his hugs...and how about the "thanks for dinner Mom "...who is this boy /man?!

I have to confess I expect to misbehave for the next few days:blushing: ..but I will log and workout and maybe I won't be too too bad. Tonight we found out that the hospital where our daughter works is giving her all of next week off so she can spend the time with her brother...I guess our empty nest willbe a little full for the next week...I will enjoy them both while they are here (and no doubt be exhausted when they leave!):laugh:

We are having an impromptu family reunion on Sunday..last count was over 30, so praying for dry weather...menu is pretty healthy..its the wine that will be the problem but plan on alternating with my ever -present bottle of water.:drinker:

Have a good evening, ladies..hugs to those with challenges in their lives and high fives to the successes on and off the scale

:heart:
    Jen
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Did 50 minutes of Jillian Michael's Shred It With Weights DVD. I did levels 1 and 2, just didn't do the cooldown between levels, did it when I got to the end of the second part. Tomorrow I'll walk on the treadmill sideways and then do some HIIT

katie - what a lovely pic of you and your aunt. She looks quite spry for 90 years old, good for her!

Vince is going to have some guys come over tomorrow night to play some of their electronic music. Me? I've asked Lynette (since Ken will be here) if she'd like to do something, maybe go to the movies or shopping. But she's not a big shopper, not like me anyway. So I made a lemon poppyseed cake since Ken is allergic to chocolate and some chocolate chip cookies since Vince won't eat the lemon poppyseed cake. I tell you, I'm absolutely loving my mixer. Just wish there was a way to incorporate the flour etc without it spraying out the bowl. Maybe I have to initially mix it by hand and then when it's somewhat incorporated, then use the mixer. they're going to be ordering pizza, I'm not real crazy about pizza, but wonder what I can get?

Amanda - those babies are so beautiful, and you look absolutely radiant with them.

Becky - welcome! If you start now with eating healthily, by the time you get back to school it'll be second nature. As a matter of fact, you'll probably be craving healthy food. Best of luck to you

Laura the chocolate bran muffins are the healthy ones, not something that I give away. Actually, I don't know too many people who would like them. They are chock full of wheat bran, which is high in fiber, makes you want to drink lots. But I like to have them in my freezer as a snack, good for the chocolate-munchies

Went to the soup kitchen and on the way there found out that the Salvation Army in that town closed so I asked them at the soup kitchen what happened. Seems they moved to another town nearby. So I just went there and made my donation. Now I know that they'll be open on the days when I'm usually at the Y in that town, so I can stop after my workout.

Took Vince for an early father's day gift, took him to this gokart place. The cars get up to something like 40mph, they're gas driven. We got the package where you get two 10 minutes rides, but they opted for one 20 minute ride. By the time we went home, Vince was talking about how his hands hurt him. I guess those goKarts are hard on the body.

Joyne - greap bp and pulse!

Hope everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • brunsda
    brunsda Posts: 78
    Options
    Wishing everyone a Happy Friday. I will try and check in next week. I have not even been able to record my food & exercise everyday this week. Just loads of things going on at the same time.
  • mrmv
    mrmv Posts: 95
    Options
    Plain Greek yogurt works great, Lowe in sugar and extra protein!!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,955 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Liselyn, lucky you to have a trainer to point you in the right direction with your workouts

:flowerforyou: Fitz, you are lucky to have Chris to work out with and help you get your back on track again.

:flowerforyou: Banded, I just noticed the weight you’ve already lost along with the new milestone in your photo…..you will succeed and we’ll be here with you to cheer you on.

:flowerforyou: Kat, great picture of you and your aunt at her party….thanks for sharing about how the osteoarthritis went away when you lost weight…..I had a similar experience with some back pain that took me to the chiropractor frequently….since I lost weight, my back has been fine.

:flowerforyou: Jenni, it sounds like you’re having a wonderful time with your daughter…exercising together is a great way to connect.

:flowerforyou: Becky, we welcome you….your goals sound great……the longest journey starts with a single step, so get away from the computer and go for a short walk…..you can walk farther next time

:flowerforyou: Robin, I love that you never, never, never give up…..the right job will be here soon.

:bigsmile: Amanda, thanks for the encouragement

:bigsmile: Laura, how cool to see you son on the World Series of Poker.

:flowerforyou: Joyce, we are all so different. Vitamin D has not been a problem for me, but even with weight loss, my cholesterol didn’t go down far enough so I’m destined to take a prescription.

:flowerforyou: Auntcarol, you’ve come to the right place to get encouragement to stick to your goals.

:flowerforyou: Rose, that’s great that even with a 10 hour work day, you still got some exercise.

:flowerforyou: Jen, enjoy your family…..if you focus on them you’ll focus less on the food.

:flowerforyou: Michele, escaping from the boys’ night of pizza and electronic music sounds very smart.

:flowerforyou: This is the night I call my 87 year old cousin who is a bit of a complainer and then call my best friend who is always upbeat……what a contrast.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington
  • rpphillip
    rpphillip Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies Hope you all are having a good night , I know most of you are in bed and I am headed that way also, We had a busy day to day . after we ate breakfast which for me was a bagel and cream cheese and a cup of coffee , and DH made eggs and bacon with biscuits for every one else. any way my oldest granddaughter (Samantha) and grandson (Jacob) went with me to take cereal to the children's hospital for a food drive and since they have never been on a monorail before I let them ride the one that goes from the adult hospital (Methodist Hospital ) and the Children's hospital,( Riley Hospital) then after we turned in the cereal and I showed them where I worked we rode it back. Then got in the car and went down town to the circle to see the soldier and sailors monument. There is no parking on the circle so we had to park about 4 blocks away and walk to it. Now the monument sits in the middle of the circle and there are 4 main road that lead into it , The Soldiers and Sailors Monument recognized as one of the world's outstanding monuments, and symbolize both the city of Indianapolis and the State of Indiana
    it is 284 feet 6 inches high, only 15 feet shorter than the Statue of Liberty . The museum portrays Indiana's contribution to the American Civil War,the war that save the union from being split into two nations and ended the institution of slavery. Two hundred thiirty-one feet above the balcony level of the Monument is a glass enclosed observation deck, you can see all of downtown Indianapolis there is a lot more I could tell but this post is long and it is time to go to bed.
    will maybe type more tomorrow if you all would like.
    just wanted to check in and say hi . will check in tomorrow , good night all:yawn: :yawn: :yawn:
  • fitz1191
    fitz1191 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Michelle I have to disagree with you on the muffins I used your recipi except I substituded flax seed for bran cuz thats what I had and my son and his whole family including the littles loved them in fact I have to make more they ate them all

Barbie thanks I am very blessed to have Chris he is such a great kid and a great freind and a super great trainer I would never be where I am physically if it were not for him we grow closer all the time and it helps me also not miss my sons quite so much he is slowly becomimg like a son to me just like the rest of them

onderland congrats that is so amazing bet you feel fantastic and I too am lovin the socks
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Hello to All :flowerforyou:

I really should proof read my post. lol but I'm just to busy lol.

Doing well in the eating department.

Have a small quarter size lump on the left side of my left knee which hurts and is preventing me from doing a lot of walking. I finally had my physical and showed my Dr. So now I'm going to have an MRI to see what is going on. Then a Bone density test, Then and ultra sound because I'm spotting after not having a period after 9 months. Just precaution procedure.

I taking one day at a time and staying in the moment.

Chess Coach and myself, took my students to the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston Wednesday. What a blast the kids had. I myself did also. It's been a while for me to have gone. What a beautiful place for inspiration and.what a place for kids that have never seen how other people live and spend their time. Next year we are going to plan at least 4 visits for inspiration and encouragement. Teaching Fine Art at our City's Boy's & Girls club is new and from what I can see it will grow. The kids love to paint and learn new and different ways to express themselves. Chess is also a new program and that is flying also. We also have Dance Classes, Music Lessons, Kick Boxing, Boxing and a Great Study Lab. I just love working there. I will be off for the summer. That makes it great to spend more time with my husband who is retired.

Sorry for my rant. Hope you can understand what I typed. Got to go.

Big (((((HUGS))))) to everyone.

MFP is the BEST!

Kathy (plantlady):heart::flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: A quick hello, just returned from food shopping and I'm going in to work for the afternoon :ohwell: :ohwell: I know it's Friday afternoon, but I promised Jane a few weeks ago I'd come in and cover for her as she needs the afternoon to prepare for her brothers party on Saturday. I hope the weather improves, we've had rain rain and more rain the last few days, and I think they have organised a cricket game for her brother.

:flowerforyou: This morning I felt quite ill when I woke up, I've had a fuzzy head all week, but this morning I had a bad stomach ache and felt dizzy and sick. Thankfully the stomache ache went away, but I still felt dizzy (even when pushing my shopping trolley around the supermarket) feel a little better now thank goodness as long as I don't move my head too quick :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Kat lovely picture of you and your auntie, did she enjoy the party? My friend Cindy is going over to South Aftrica to see her aunt or cousin, they were going to have a surprise party for her but due to her age (not quite sure how old she is) they decided not to (just in case :laugh: )

:flowerforyou: rpphilip, the Soldiers and Sailors monument sounds breathtaking, I'd love to hear more about it.

:flowerforyou: Well I'd better get changed ready for work, I can only move slowly and don't want to be late. At least the rain seems to have stopped for the moment anyway.

Happy Friday