Denied by insurance for gastric sleeve today :(

Options

Replies

• FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    That really sucks when doctors and insurance tell you something and then backtrack. I've had that happen zillions of times and it's really frustrating.

The good news here is that it didn't cost you tons of $$ that they shrug and tell you "It doesn't matter what you were told, this is the cost."

/personalvendetta

Anyway, something I noticed from your profile is that you have been big your whole life. I'm curious--did you believe you could be as successful as you were on your own? People get used to being bigger, and it's not something that usually changes without some attention to the problem, and people begin believing that there is something "wrong" with them that needs more intervention. But the intervention here just may be your confidence.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I still feel strong....almost like this is a sign I should be doing this on my own....or a sign that surgery might lead to something far worse.

It's a sign of both. You should be proud of yourself that you managed to do this all on your own, without the risks and recovery associated with surgery.

Years from now, you will be able to look at the new, fit, thin you and say that YOU accomplished this. Not "a team of doctors". Not "medical science". YOU, and you alone, through willpower and perseverance.

The fact that you have proven you are ABLE to do this yourself says volumes about you as a person. You're far stronger than you think. The doctors just figured it out a little before you did.

PS: I'm not a doctor nor an insurance agent. I understand the insurance company did this for financial reasons. Even if money were no object, I'd have made the same decision they did. You've PROVEN that you can lose weight without surgery. If I were you, I'd avoid going under the knife at all costs, because gastric bypass surgery is for cases where the patient is entirely unable to lose weight. It's a surgery and carries risks, and you'll run the risk of dealing with scar tissue issues and possibly reduced physical capacity for life. It's a great way to prolong life in severe cases where the patient is eating themselves to death,but it is truly a weapon of last resort.

I don't mean to belittle or criticize anyone who actually needs the surgery, by the way. We're not all the same, and some people truly do need the help losing weight. Several friends have had the surgery, and for two of them the outcome was excellent and probably could not have been achieved any other way. One managed to re-expand his stomach and is currently in much deeper doo-doo but is trying to work his way through willpower issues. It's a useful tool and I recognize a necessary one in some cases.

You avoided needing it. GOOD JOB!
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I would think you would be thrilled to not need a surgery and that your able to do this yourself now. I`m sorry but I just don`t get why your upset at a good thing surgery should be an absolute last resort IMO and clearly your doing just fine at working it yourself
  • icandoit203
    icandoit203 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I did everything I was supposed to. I did what I was told and I started taking charge of my life. Now they're telling me I took too much charge and I no longer have the privilege of their services.It's bitter-sweet. I still feel strong....almost like this is a sign I should be doing this on my own....or a sign that surgery might lead to something far worse.

As you said here always remember you did it and to be denied this is a wonderful thing you did not need it, it's hard work and you passed that goal. Always be proud of yourself and keep your head up everyone here has your back so keep it UP.

That strong feeling is awesome I love it thanks for sharing you story. :-)
  • shanchamber
    Options
    You're too good for those quick fix solutions. You've proved you've got what it takes without needing surgery.

Um...you obviously don't know a thing about gastric bypass surgery. It is far from a "quick fix" solution. Indeed, it is a lifelong commitment to eating healthy food, and not very much of it, to avoid vomiting and other unpleasant side effects.

The prejudice against weight loss surgery on this thread is appalling, and so obviously born out of rank ignorance that I hardly know what to say. Study after study has shown it to be the only effective method of long-term weight loss, even if some of the weight is gained back, because very low calorie diets are usually the only method of weight loss that works for morbid obesity. It is not a way out for the lazy, and you are not a better person because you managed to lose it "on your own." It is a difficult, torturous path that means never being able to eat like a normal human being ever again. It is a brave and sensible thing to do in the majority of cases, and shame on all of you who implied otherwise without the slightest bit of research just because you heard Dr. Oz or Oprah say it was bad, or your friend's second cousin's gardener's sister had a hard time with it. Who's lazy now?

OP: Congratulations on your weight loss, and sorry to hear about your experience with the insurance company. I've known people to appeal these decisions and get somewhere, especially if their doctors are willing to write letters about how this early compliance makes one a particularly good candidate for the difficult regimen to follow. It might also make sense to see what other insurance options your employer offers. From what I understand, the PPOs are much more likely to approve these surgeries than HMOs, although it varies from company to company. You might check out the renewedreflections bulletin board for those who have had or are contemplating the surgery. There's an entire section on people's various experiences with insurance companies, so you might be able to find a company more amenable to helping you reach your goals.
  • shanchamber
    Options
    Years from now, you will be able to look at the new, fit, thin you and say that YOU accomplished this. Not "a team of doctors". Not "medical science". YOU, and you alone, through willpower and perseverance.

Um, sorry, but this is just so insulting to anyone who's had this surgery that I can't let it slide.

When you have weight loss surgery, your doctor spends maybe five hours operating on you. You spend the rest of your life trying to balance the demands of getting enough protein, nutrients, and physical activity, while eating a very small quantity of food--a quantity, indeed, that triggers most people's "I'm starving to death" mental switch, if not their physical one anymore. The results you achieve are due to your successful mastering of these skills, not your "team of doctors." If you think willpower doesn't enter into it anymore, you need to do some research and educate yourself about life after gastric bypass surgery, and I think you need at a minimum to apologize to all of the people on MyFitnessPal whose commitment and willpower you've just disparaged.
  • sarrah_n
    sarrah_n Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    If you've been able to make this much progress without surgery, why risk your life by going under the knife? You've already proven you've got the motivation to change your life!
  • MyTime1985
    MyTime1985 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Well, clearly you don't need surgery then.

You're 22 for christs sake. You can achieve anything you want if you put in the work. You don't need shortcuts like that. It's a good thing you were rejected in my opinion. You have the strength to do this without medical intervention.

Exactly!
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be disappointed, you should be giving yourself a massive pat on the back

You have lost an amazing amount of weight, and in the process educated yourself. You have obviously had to chagne your life style and you attitude. Im delighted for you, if you can loss 48lbs, you can do anything

You have also saved yourself a very risky surgery from what I am lead to believe.

Congratulations, thats amazing news
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    You're too good for those quick fix solutions. You've proved you've got what it takes without needing surgery.

Um...you obviously don't know a thing about gastric bypass surgery. It is far from a "quick fix" solution. Indeed, it is a lifelong commitment to eating healthy food, and not very much of it, to avoid vomiting and other unpleasant side effects.

The prejudice against weight loss surgery on this thread is appalling, and so obviously born out of rank ignorance that I hardly know what to say. Study after study has shown it to be the only effective method of long-term weight loss, even if some of the weight is gained back, because very low calorie diets are usually the only method of weight loss that works for morbid obesity. It is not a way out for the lazy, and you are not a better person because you managed to lose it "on your own." It is a difficult, torturous path that means never being able to eat like a normal human being ever again. It is a brave and sensible thing to do in the majority of cases, and shame on all of you who implied otherwise without the slightest bit of research just because you heard Dr. Oz or Oprah say it was bad, or your friend's second cousin's gardener's sister had a hard time with it. Who's lazy now?

OP: Congratulations on your weight loss, and sorry to hear about your experience with the insurance company. I've known people to appeal these decisions and get somewhere, especially if their doctors are willing to write letters about how this early compliance makes one a particularly good candidate for the difficult regimen to follow. It might also make sense to see what other insurance options your employer offers. From what I understand, the PPOs are much more likely to approve these surgeries than HMOs, although it varies from company to company. You might check out the renewedreflections bulletin board for those who have had or are contemplating the surgery. There's an entire section on people's various experiences with insurance companies, so you might be able to find a company more amenable to helping you reach your goals.

All you mentione about the surgery are things one must do to lose weight anyway! so why even go through the surgery when one needs to change ones ways even with surgery? I am so glad insurance tells one to lose weight before this type of surgery, had I not been told to this, I would have probably gone through with this surgery, never realizing that i could do it on my own!
  • reshapemariah21
    reshapemariah21 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I noticed you're in the same city as me. Hello fellow Texan :flowerforyou:
    It's great you've lost that much. And you definitely don't need surgery. You've proved to yourself that you don't need it. I was told by a doctor that I needed the lap band.. I was 283 pounds, 275 when I found MFP. I am now 208 and steadily losing. I'm almost to 70 pounds lost thanks to MFP! I'm a bit younger, 18. Which isn't a big difference at all. If I can do it without surgery, you surely can!
  • DianeG213
    DianeG213 Posts: 253
    Options
    You are awesome and unstoppable. By next year you will be glad you got that phone call today. You will have accomplished your goal on your own and will be very proud of yourself. I wish you much success. :drinker:
  • shanchamber
    Options

All you mentione about the surgery are things one must do to lose weight anyway! so why even go through the surgery when one needs to change ones ways even with surgery? I am so glad insurance tells one to lose weight before this type of surgery, had I not been told to this, I would have probably gone through with this surgery, never realizing that i could do it on my own!

You obviously didn't get very far in the process, did you? Whether or not you're told to lose weight before the surgery depends on your starting weight. Some people are too heavy to operate on. Usually the surgeon asks you to lose about 10 lbs. right before the surgery to shrink the size of your liver, so that it is easier to image the rest of the organs.

As for why you would undergo this process, well, empirically, as I said, it is the only method of weight loss that seems to stick for the morbidly obese. Statistically speaking, you're going to gain back all of the weight that you've lost through other methods. (Sorry.) Gastric bypass patients on average lose 80-90 percent of their excess weight and gain about 10-20 percent back over the course of their lifetimes. Obese patients who lose 80-90 percent of their body weight generally gain all of it back plus another 5-10 percent. My UCSF surgeon said that the reasons for this are not well-understood, but are empirically demonstrable nonetheless. Weight loss surgery also generally and immediately corrects such conditions as diabetes and high cholesterol, which normal weight loss generally does not correct immediately.

But all of you impugning weight loss surgery and the willpower of those who have it know all of this, right? Because you wouldn't have said all of these things without knowing the facts. Of course not.
  • Alpine005
    Alpine005 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Take it as a blessing in disguise. Not to discourage anyone who has had the surgery, but it's obviously better if you can lose it on your own. You reach your goal without any of the risks and negatives invovled with the surgery. Keep it up!
  • hezzyhlo
    hezzyhlo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your amazing loss!! You deserve to feel strong and proud!!!
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Somehow I can't help but imagine that a guardian angel just steered you away from dying after complications from a "simple" surgery.

Live strong!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I still feel strong....almost like this is a sign I should be doing this on my own....

This is the only voice you need to listen to. Say it. Loud.

^^^ This!!! I hope you are walking around with your head held high because you have already accomplished something AMAZING! The best part - There is more amazing ahead of you still : ) Go Rock It!!!

:heart: :heart: :heart:
  • AbbsyBabbsy
    AbbsyBabbsy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Don't think of it as your insurance company denying you for the surgery. Think of it as your insurance company saying you're too awesome for the surgery.
  • Alpine005
    Alpine005 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    That's all fine and good. The fact is that if you can do it without surgery you are better off. If you can't, then by all means get the surgery.

You obviously didn't get very far in the process, did you? Whether or not you're told to lose weight before the surgery depends on your starting weight. Some people are too heavy to operate on. Usually the surgeon asks you to lose about 10 lbs. right before the surgery to shrink the size of your liver, so that it is easier to image the rest of the organs.

As for why you would undergo this process, well, empirically, as I said, it is the only method of weight loss that seems to stick for the morbidly obese. Statistically speaking, you're going to gain back all of the weight that you've lost through other methods. (Sorry.) Gastric bypass patients on average lose 80-90 percent of their excess weight and gain about 10-20 percent back over the course of their lifetimes. Obese patients who lose 80-90 percent of their body weight generally gain all of it back plus another 5-10 percent. My UCSF surgeon said that the reasons for this are not well-understood, but are empirically demonstrable nonetheless. Weight loss surgery also generally and immediately corrects such conditions as diabetes and high cholesterol, which normal weight loss generally does not correct immediately.

But all of you impugning weight loss surgery and the willpower of those who have it know all of this, right? Because you wouldn't have said all of these things without knowing the facts. Of course not.