1000 calorie deficit NOT for people with healthy BMI

Options

Replies

• kelpie06
    kelpie06 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    This is a good post. Thanks Banks and thanks Viviakay.

I'm wearing my heart monitor tomorrow to see what my true maintenance calories are.
  • edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    Options
    edyta,

I can only tell you what I get from the calculators, this is close to what it should be but you may, in fact, need tweaking.

Considering your BMI (already in the lower half of healthy, which is fine, but will make it extremely difficult to lose weight for you) your RMR or maintenance calories should be around 1900 IF you have a somewhat active lifestyle. If you are completely sedentary in your lifestyle, then 1750 or so calories will keep your current weight.
    You are kind of the perfect example of what I am talking about. Your body thinks it's fine. It doesn't want to lose more. So to do so you have to battle for every pound, in your case, expecting to see any tangable weight loss in less then a month is not very realistic. A couple of weeks of doing anything isn't going to give you results because the proportions and percentages you are trying to change are so small that it's not really measureable with most home equipment. I think at what you are currently trying (1550) you should be ok, maybe even 100 or 150 calories higher might be better.
    I want to stress that the point of this site is to be healthier, not to necessarilly lose weight. For many, the two are the same, but for someone like you, they aren't.
    If you want my opinion edyta, I would completely forget about weight loss as IMHO you are fine where you are, I would, instead focus on body fat % and muscle tone. If you goal is to shrink a size or two or modefy some of your curves, at this point that won't happen with healthy weight loss for you, it will happen by shaping your body, your muscles, and your lean mass.

I'm glad you replied to this because I believe that you are on the right track, which is good to see, but I also believe you can take it a bit further then you are.

Just my humble opinion. :happy:
    Best luck to you!

-Banks

Thanks for advice, Banks! What you write is really helpful.
    I'm glad I could illustrate your theory and I hope others can learn from it as well :flowerforyou:

I changed to 1650 calories a day. On Thursday I will wear my HRM and check what it says about my RMR :wink: and maybe adjust a little. If I'm really closer to 1750 RMR with my activity level then the deficit would be just 100 calories and I guess 200-250 would be better for now, at least before I loose let's say 2-3 lbs. Than I'll see.
    Wow, this whole thinking about weight, body fat and workouts takes me sooo much time I don't do almost anything else :laugh: Now I've set my goal, I'm going to log my food, go to the gym and don't think about changing anything for at least a month :smile:
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    If I can jump in here. . .
    I've only started to really change my body fat % since I've switched to maintenance calories. I recently wore my HRM all day, on a particularly inactive day and came in at 1700, which is more than this site says I'm at while sedentary (the whole muscle mass making everything a bit higher thing, I hope).

You must feed your muscles to build them. I'm not all pumped-up or anything, but my legs now look defined instead of just "big", and my arms are starting to look buff. (I'm actually looking forward to summer for the first time, well, ever)

For those of you ladies "on the last ten pounds" (Or five) please consider switching to maintenance and concentrating on your exercise. It was only after I decided "well, maybe this is a healthy weight for me" and quit concentrating on the "magic number" that I got to the "magic number." Concentrate on adding muscle to your body, and you will lose inches, I promise!:flowerforyou:

HERE HERE VIV! Good call. I would totally agree with that. :happy:

Okay Banks and Viv,

Not to confuse the issue - but I have been concentrating on exercise and balancing my diet better (I had no idea how off the mark i was on my carbs and protein). My question/problem/confusion is what I ran into yesterday - high number of calories needed to still be consumed after exercise but the amount of protein and carbs were very low. So I need to find foods that were high in calories but relatively low in either carb or protein. (Banks you suggested pb, which I just cannot eat albeit Un-American - I hate PB!)

Sooooo, i am on a search today for website that have food listing that will help solve this problem.

BTW - for all of you skeptics, nay-sayers - I have been following the advise of these wonderful people for two months and I am in the best shape i have been in a very long time and the weight is coming off (I don't care about the number - my clothes don't fit and that makes me feel better!)
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Banks, since you seem to be very skilled at this weight loss thing I want your advice. I am 5ft 8 inches and weigh 147. My bmi is 23. According to all the charts I am in my ideal weight range for the normal but I don't want to weigh this much. I have always weighed 125-130 eating whatever I wanted and since I turned 35 three years ago I have seen it disappear slowly. I have tried dieting 1000 calories and felt faint. I am also working out at curves at least three days a week burning at least 625 a time. STILL NO WEIGHT LOSS. I have lost a few inches here and there (no pounds) but I get discouraged for a week or two and go back to ice cream and cookies and find the inches and a few pounds. I log on and see all the huge amounts of pounds these people drop and I can't even drop a few. I am taking the sites advice and doing their goals for myself instead of lower calories of my own. I just started that today. It just seems like alot of calories for me to eat. My base calories are 1200 and if I exercise (sometimes I walk and curves) I get 800 more calories. How can I possibly drop pounds eating that much? I just don't understand this whole diet thing... I always thought you starve and exercise and you drop pounds no matter what you weigh but that is not working or me. Is it possible for me to drop pounds if I am in my ideal range or is there something else I need to try to drop these impossible pounds.....? Thanks for you help!

well, first, I want you to focus on what's happening, your body is definitely changing, that's good. If you're yoyoing then you need to really focus on being consistant. Don't worry so much about a large deficit, you KNOW you can take the weight off, it just sounds like you put so much energy into thinking about a "target" weight, that you aren't as happy as you should be when you do make progress. IMHO at your BMI, losing inches is WAY more of an accomplishment then losing pounds. Because losing inches means you are losing fat, and if you are staying the same weight, that means you are gaining at least SOME muscle (some may be water), and that is SOOOOO good!

I would recommend you go back and read ALL of the links in this post, because I think, in your case, all of them have some relevant info in them: If you haven't read them yet, I would really take your time, maybe print them out, and really read them slowly until you understand everything that is being said as I really think it will help you out.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition
  • edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    Options
    Banks, since you seem to be very skilled at this weight loss thing I want your advice. I am 5ft 8 inches and weigh 147. My bmi is 23. According to all the charts I am in my ideal weight range for the normal but I don't want to weigh this much. I have always weighed 125-130 eating whatever I wanted and since I turned 35 three years ago I have seen it disappear slowly. I have tried dieting 1000 calories and felt faint. I am also working out at curves at least three days a week burning at least 625 a time. STILL NO WEIGHT LOSS. I have lost a few inches here and there (no pounds) but I get discouraged for a week or two and go back to ice cream and cookies and find the inches and a few pounds. I log on and see all the huge amounts of pounds these people drop and I can't even drop a few. I am taking the sites advice and doing their goals for myself instead of lower calories of my own. I just started that today. It just seems like alot of calories for me to eat. My base calories are 1200 and if I exercise (sometimes I walk and curves) I get 800 more calories. How can I possibly drop pounds eating that much? I just don't understand this whole diet thing... I always thought you starve and exercise and you drop pounds no matter what you weigh but that is not working or me. Is it possible for me to drop pounds if I am in my ideal range or is there something else I need to try to drop these impossible pounds.....? Thanks for you help!

I seams like there's no way to drop below your ideal weight in a healthy way.
    Sorry to say, but I guess that's the way it is :ohwell:
    It may have something to do with age. I was slimmer 1 or 2 years ago and than suddenly I gained about 8 pounds. My mom told me she also gained a few pounds out of nothing when she was my age (i.e. 24) so I assume I'm just like her... Ehhh, probably in every woman's life there comes a moment when you just can't drop to your previous weight. But - come on - we are beautiful the way we are! :flowerforyou:
    Don't look at Hollywood stars because they ARE starving. Let's be healthy and toned instead :smile:
  • banks1850
    Options
    I've only started to really change my body fat % since I've switched to maintenance calories. I recently wore my HRM all day, on a particularly inactive day and came in at 1700, which is more than this site says I'm at while sedentary (the whole muscle mass making everything a bit higher thing, I hope).

You must feed your muscles to build them. I'm not all pumped-up or anything, but my legs now look defined instead of just "big", and my arms are starting to look buff. (I'm actually looking forward to summer for the first time, well, ever)

For those of you ladies "on the last ten pounds" (Or five) please consider switching to maintenance and concentrating on your exercise. It was only after I decided "well, maybe this is a healthy weight for me" and quit concentrating on the "magic number" that I got to the "magic number." Concentrate on adding muscle to your body, and you will lose inches, I promise!:flowerforyou:

Okay Banks and Viv,

Not to confuse the issue - but I have been concentrating on exercise and balancing my diet better (I had no idea how off the mark i was on my carbs and protein). My question/problem/confusion is what I ran into yesterday - high number of calories needed to still be consumed after exercise but the amount of protein and carbs were very low. So I need to find foods that were high in calories but relatively low in either carb or protein. (Banks you suggested pb, which I just cannot eat albeit Un-American - I hate PB!)

Sooooo, i am on a search today for website that have food listing that will help solve this problem.

BTW - for all of you skeptics, nay-sayers - I have been following the advise of these wonderful people for two months and I am in the best shape i have been in a very long time and the weight is coming off (I don't care about the number - my clothes don't fit and that makes me feel better!)

hmm, pm, so if carbs and protein are your issue, then I would say that any type of nut is good, but some have less fat then others, so definitely go to a calorie site like www.calorieking.com and check them before you buy. ahh lets see....high carb low fat high protein. I got it, things like yogurt, 1% or Skim milk, ahh 75% reduced fat cheddar cheese from cabot farms is great for that. Um, thinking...
    as for meat, both chicken and turkey are usually high protein with low fat.
  • LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this!
    :happy: :happy:
    I have about 10lbs to lose, not exactly sure since I have a morbid fear of the scale, but that's what I kind of would like to see. I want every ounce of that to be fat - preferably on my tummy and inner thighs, but hey, I'll take what I can. Right now I am in a very healthy range, I think I'm at a 22-23 BMI. I'm not sure of my body fat, but I'd assume its around 24-25. I had it checked 3 years ago and I'm a little bigger than I was and it was like 22, so I figure that's about where it is.
    The site tells me that I have a BMR of 1400, which shocked me because that seems really low to me. But I was thinking that if I ate 1200, its only a 200 calorie deficit.
    I'm starting to realize that all this time when I thought I've been taking in enough calories to burn fat, it may not be enough and I might be gaining it? I've noticed that I've lost an inch or so, but I'm kind of hitting a plateau here.
    I think I'm going to try changing my settings for a month or so and see what I can do.

Is this a good assessment, or am I completely off?
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options

Okay Banks and Viv,

hmm, pm, so if carbs and protein are your issue, then I would say that any type of nut is good, but some have less fat then others, so definitely go to a calorie site like www.calorieking.com and check them before you buy. ahh lets see....high carb low fat high protein. I got it, things like yogurt, 1% or Skim milk, ahh 75% reduced fat cheddar cheese from cabot farms is great for that. Um, thinking...
    as for meat, both chicken and turkey are usually high protein with low fat.

I forgot about the nuts, you did mention that last night as well... I will take a look at almonds.
  • banks1850
    Options
    I have about 10lbs to lose, not exactly sure since I have a morbid fear of the scale, but that's what I kind of would like to see. I want every ounce of that to be fat - preferably on my tummy and inner thighs, but hey, I'll take what I can. Right now I am in a very healthy range, I think I'm at a 22-23 BMI. I'm not sure of my body fat, but I'd assume its around 24-25. I had it checked 3 years ago and I'm a little bigger than I was and it was like 22, so I figure that's about where it is.
    The site tells me that I have a BMR of 1400, which shocked me because that seems really low to me. But I was thinking that if I ate 1200, its only a 200 calorie deficit.
    I'm starting to realize that all this time when I thought I've been taking in enough calories to burn fat, it may not be enough and I might be gaining it? I've noticed that I've lost an inch or so, but I'm kind of hitting a plateau here.
    I think I'm going to try changing my settings for a month or so and see what I can do.

Hard to say without knowing numbers, but I never have a problem with someone eating a little more as a trial, my only fear usually comes from eating too little as a trial. Gaining a pound or two isn't the end of the world, but losing kidney function or partial liver function could be!
    At this point for you it could be as simple as your carb/fat/protein ratios and how much weight training you are doing. When you are at these points in your exercise/diet life, you may, in fact, benefit from a session or two with a good certified trainer. It can be tough when you are here, the tweaks become much smaller, and the timelines grow much longer at this point, everything must be thought of in a much more long term scale then just straight weight loss.
  • LightenUp_Caro
    Options

Hard to say without knowing numbers, but I never have a problem with someone eating a little more as a trial, my only fear usually comes from eating too little as a trial. Gaining a pound or two isn't the end of the world, but losing kidney function or partial liver function could be!
    At this point for you it could be as simple as your carb/fat/protein ratios and how much weight training you are doing. When you are at these points in your exercise/diet life, you may, in fact, benefit from a session or two with a good certified trainer. It can be tough when you are here, the tweaks become much smaller, and the timelines grow much longer at this point, everything must be thought of in a much more long term scale then just straight weight loss.

I am 5'8 and I guess 145ish. I feel like my BMR should be a little higher than 1400.
    Its taken me a long time to realize that not everyone is meant to be a size 2. I am finally accepting my body. I am not accepting however that my abs are extremely strong (I've been told by a couple of trainers that I have a very strong core) and they do not show on my body. All of my other muscles look fairly toned. I see definition that I used to not see, and I'm loving it. But my abs are being shy and aren't really wanting to be viewed.
    I know that fat loss can't be targeted, so I'm still doing my cardio (I run for about 5 miles 2-3 times a week and I do a bootcamp class which makes us do sprints and whatnot) along with weights.
    I guess I just want to know what else I can try. I'm going to up my caloric intake and continue to work my butt off.

any ideas?
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    OH, and one more thing about the "magic number". I have a beautiful friend who is 20 pounds lighter than me. About six months ago, we went shopping together, and tried on the exact same dress in a store. She needed two sizes bigger than me. So, she weighs less, but I am smaller.

If you're muscular at ALL, scale numbers really, truly don't matter.:flowerforyou:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options

I am 5'8 and I guess 145ish. I feel like my BMR should be a little higher than 1400.
    Its taken me a long time to realize that not everyone is meant to be a size 2. I am finally accepting my body. I am not accepting however that my abs are extremely strong (I've been told by a couple of trainers that I have a very strong core) and they do not show on my body. All of my other muscles look fairly toned. I see definition that I used to not see, and I'm loving it. But my abs are being shy and aren't really wanting to be viewed.
    I know that fat loss can't be targeted, so I'm still doing my cardio (I run for about 5 miles 2-3 times a week and I do a bootcamp class which makes us do sprints and whatnot) along with weights.
    I guess I just want to know what else I can try. I'm going to up my caloric intake and continue to work my butt off.

any ideas?

I think you're confusing BMR with maintenance calories. BMR is the bare minimum your body needs to survive (think in bed for 24 hours) It is necessarily lower than your maintenance calories. If you don't have much to lose, you really shouldn't be eating less than your BMR, and not much less than your maintenance calories.:flowerforyou:
  • banks1850
    Options

any ideas?

I think you're confusing BMR with maintenance calories. BMR is the bare minimum your body needs to survive (think in bed for 24 hours) It is necessarily lower than your maintenance calories. If you don't have much to lose, you really shouldn't be eating less than your BMR, and not much less than your maintenance calories.:flowerforyou:

Yep, viv is right, your BMR at 1400 sounds right, but your maintenance calories are probably somewhere around 1950. So eating around 1700 or so should get you to where you need to be, maybe even a little higher. This, of course, doesn't include any exercise calories you should also be eating.
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    I must say banks......you did it again....another great post.:flowerforyou:
  • LightenUp_Caro
    Options
    oooooh I see!!!
    Thank you, yeah I was confusing maintenance and BMR...silly me.
    Anyway, Thank you very much.

so, I've been in starvation mode for 3 months....great. haha!
    At least now I know!
  • banks1850
    Options
    I must say banks......you did it again....another great post.:flowerforyou:

:blushing:

Thanks
  • tracypaprocki
    Options
    Ok Banks please help. I weigh 161.5 and am 5'9. my goal weight is 145 but would be happy with 150. I work out 45-60 min 4-5days a week. What should my daily calorie intake be. was doing 1200 but of course its really not working and maiking me crazy. BTW my body fat % is 26
  • banks1850
    Options
    Ok Banks please help. I weigh 161.5 and am 5'9. my goal weight is 145 but would be happy with 150. I work out 45-60 min 4-5days a week. What should my daily calorie intake be. was doing 1200 but of course its really not working and maiking me crazy. BTW my body fat % is 26

well, again just going by the numbers, if you are somewhat active throughout the day, your Maintenance should be around 2000 calories a day. So yeah, I can totally see why 1200 isn't working for you. That's an 800 calorie deficit, that's really for someone with a BMI of around 30 or so.
    Since your BMI is just under 24, your deficit should be VERY small. It will take you a while to get to 150, (and I definitely think 145 is lower then you need to go), but if you do a 3 days of weights and 3 days of cardio routine (alternate days) with a day off, you will be looking svelt and toned in no time. I imagine within 4 to 6 months of that kind of routine with a 200 calorie deficit (say 1800 calories a day plus exercise calories) you will have lost some of the weight, but more importantly you will have gained plenty of muscle density and lost probably 3 to 6% body fat (which will be a much more noticable thing as far as how you look goes)
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Ok, I have been struggling lately with this same issue!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks so much with the post!!!! I am 44yrs old, 5'5" and last time I weighed myself (before the scale challenge) it was 133.5 My weight goal is 130 but I now, after reading this post, really don't care if I reach that. I am pretty happy with the way I look now, I see it and people see it. So, Banks, how many calories should I be eating?????????????? I need to find a place where they could measure my body fat. I know of one but they use the TANITA scale and I really don't think that is very accurate, right?? I do want to have a healthy body fat % and of course I want to maintain my weight now, maybe tone more...I exercise 5 to 7 days a week, usually 6 days a week, take Sundays off. I do resistance training and cardio... Oh, Banks, on days that I don't workout, how many calories should I eat??? Will it be the same as the days when I workout?? Oh, and I have a HRM but not a polar one...
  • banks1850
    Options
    So just so I don't have to keep doing this (not that I mind, it's just that I'm pretty much doing the same calculation for everyone, all I'm changing is the numbers). I'll detail the steps this time so you guys can do it on your own. It's not anything magical, just some numbers, and a little intuitive thinking based on past experience and research.

So I'll use alf as our guinney pig :tongue:

numbers:
    Sex : F
    height: 5'5"
    weight : 133.5
    activity level : somewhat active (??? dunno but guessing)

so I just go to the mayo clinic calorie calculator
    (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/calorie-calculator/NU00598 ) and put in the numbers
    and for Alf I get : 1750 caloires for maintenance

Then I go to http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/
    and find your bmi which is: 22.2

With those numbers I see that you really don't need to lose weight. If you do want to lose weight, it's gonna be slow and should be done with very small calorie deficit (remember, anything below 25 bmi is already healthy and you can't get blood from a stone)
    If you are looking to tone your body, you need to make weight training a part of your routine, cardio a few times a week, but weight training needs to be a big part, that's the only way to efficiently make your muscle more tone and dense(stronger). Stronger muscle reduces fat just by virtue of it being in your body, you can keep a small calorie deficit (maybe 100 to 250 calories) to help speed along the removal of any small fat stores you have, but I wouldn't go any higher then that. Remeber, this is the long, slow, little noticeable results part. By that I mean, building muscle takes time, and it isn't something your likely to notice by looking in the mirror, you really need to take a before and after picture to see a difference, just because we become familiar with our shape and don't see the gradual changes.

So that's about it. These are all pretty much variations on the same theme. It's pretty straight forward (I hope), if you're at a BMI of 25 or below, your focus should be switching from weight loss to muscle tone, muscle building and reducing fat stores.