The Fat Acceptance Movement… Thoughts??

Options

Replies

• Deidre33
    Deidre33 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I personally think some people much like myself have been overweight most of my life. I currenlty have a overweight child who struggles w/ it everyday.. she has always been over weight! u accept it because it is reality. hopefully one day something sparks in you that will make u want to change.. i have been overweight most of my life (as a child ) i accepted it because i didnt know how to change. no adult was around me showing how to properly eat and exercise.. so u learn by trial and error! i had a lightbulb moment.. but keep in mind alot of kids turn into adults who accept it , they don't know how to change or where to start. that's why a site like this can be the first step for people who struggle w/ obesity... so lets try not to judge people and keep this in mind... signed fat girl 101
  • Ketomaniac9
    Ketomaniac9 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I think if smoking were still cheap, socially accepted, and as strongly advertised as our junk food is today, the number of smokers would never have decreased and would probably still be increasing. Likewise, if junk foods were heavily taxed, socially unacceptable, and if all of the junk food ads (and weight loss "diet" ads) disappeared from TV and magazines, obesity wouldn't be as much of a problem. I'm not necessarily calling for more taxes or legislation on food, I just find it to be an interesting comparison. In general I don't think the majority of people will change if they are not forced in some way to do so whether it be economically or socially or maybe even a health scare. However, I know a lot of people who have health problems or have family members with health problems relating to obesity and they are still not motivated to change.

That's interesting. I do think it's a little different since food is a necessity and it's a choice about type as opposed to whether or not to purchase it. Since fast food is cheaper, I think one of the major motivating factors is price. If they were to increase prices through taxes, I think it would definitely be interesting to see the effect it has (although I would personally be against any such tax).

Ok how about the opposite - tax incentives on healthy food, just as we have tax incentives on low poluting cars to help towards a healthier environment, why can't we have for example, no tax on fruit and veg? Burgers taxed but lean meat tax free? Fizzy drinks taxed but bottled water tax free?

Our government is too corrupt and lazy to ever do that.. welcome to america.
  • BelleHeart
    BelleHeart Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I both love myself at my current weight AND I am trying to lose weight. I think these " movements" are to get people to love themselves no matter what society tries to dictate as beautiful. However, it is not trying to get people to stay unhealthy.
  • Jenncoc86
    Jenncoc86 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Being happy with yourself is important but come on lets be realistic. Unhealthy is unhealthy, if your happy about it or not.
  • BelleHeart
    BelleHeart Posts: 281 Member
    Options

I can't believe I wasted my time going to thins dumb link. That is a truly disgusting and ignorant way to think about other human beings.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    People are getting "fit and healthy" and "attractive" mixed up.

MOST people consider thin people to be more attractive than heavy people, and people value others that they find appealing. This is just human nature. That doesn't mean skinny-pack-a-day-smoker-to-kill-her-appetite is more fit or healthy than 200-pound-marathon-runner-fatty. Marathon fatty is healthier hands down, but skinny smoker is probably more pleasing to look at. A thin, toned woman who eats well and takes care of herself will trump both of them easily. All of that is irrelevant when the topic is accepting yourself as less than YOUR ideal.

People keep talking about how a lot of muscle gives you a high BMI and how these "fat" people are healthy. YOU CAN TELL THE DIFFERENCE just by LOOKING at them. No one is looking at Fabio and saying "wow you should lose some weight, your BMI is HIGH". Come on! This whole thread is excuses and justification and a giant pity party! If you aren't the 1% who has a medical condition, then you are fat because you haven't done anything about it and that is NOT ok.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    It is extremely important (as is the Health at Every Size movement).

There are a couple of key reasons:

1. There is a lot of fat discrimination, it is the only kind that is acceptable. Most of it is dependent on our stereotypes of fat people. We have basically associated all of the "bad" traits to being fat. And we have also labeled it as something fixable, like being poor. It is very much tied into the American identity.

"Fat people are slothful, lazy and over indulgent. If they would just get some self control and pick themselves up by the bootstraps they will be thin and normal." (Doesn't this sound a lot like what we say about poor people, and black people and other non-Asian ethnic people. As if society has zero role in circumstance and opportunity.)

2. The generally accepted message is, if you are "fat" you can't be happy, confident, have nice hings or live your life until you are "normal and thin."

People with positive self images generally treat themselves better, (and are more likely to adopt healthy habits) and our society makes it very difficult to have a positive self-image if you aren't "normal." Unfortunately normalcy applies to size, stature, race, wealth, class and virtually every attribute. Why is "nude" the color beige? Does this mean if I am not "beige" then there is no nude tone that matches me, because I am "abnormal." Or there are "normal" stores with "regular" sizes. And if you don't fit into this "normal" size, you are banished to the deep dark basement where the "abnormal" plus sized clothing goes.

3. We have confused weight with health. There is a loose correlation with weight and health, but people can be healthy at many weights, and unhealthy at the same weight. The biggest problem is that we are so focused on losing weight and not GAINING health, people will resort to ridiculously unhealthy methods in order to see the right number on the scale. These habits are not maintainable and the weight comes back with interest. Causing even poorer health. Focusing on improving health, will help more than losing weight will. And improving health might have a side effect of weight loss. The more we tell people that weight - health, the more people will resort to fad diets, pointless supplements, and remain as unhealthy as they were before.

4. There is no one standard of a healthy weight. My healthy weight might be "fat" or "skinny" or "unhealthy" on someone else.

5. Loving yourself as you are now, doesn't mean that you have to stop improving. Do parents stop loving their kids when they do something bad? Should you stop loving and caring for yourself because you don't have a perfect body/perfect health right now? Of course not, so why are we trying to force this message that you are "less than" and not deserving of love or respect or sympathy because of your current appearance.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Based on what I've read and heard from friends, the "fat acceptance movement" is not about "I'm overweight, and I'm okay with it!" in terms of health. It's "I'm considered overweight according to society's measures, but I still have feelings of confidence and self worth."

We live in a shaming society -- fat-shaming, skinny-shaming, black-shaming, white-shaming -- you name it, someone out there shames it. With the obesity crisis coming into the limelight (via laws concerning sodas and new programs in schools for overweight children), fat-shaming is becoming more prominent -- and more nasty and degrading.

The "fat acceptance movement" has been caused not only by the obesity "epidemic: (and the resulting shaming) but also by society's perception of beauty. Because of how we have been raised, we believe that fat people are "lazy, ugly, non-motivated", etc.

The fat acceptance movement was established to help people who consider themselves obese, overweight, etc., to accept themselves and love themselves. Would you love yourself if you felt like the entire world was calling you lazy and ugly? Would you feel good about yourself if your body was always cast in a negative light with nasty societal consequences?

This movement isn't about "acceptance of unhealthy ways"; it's about acceptance of oneself and love of oneself. It's about self esteem and self-confidence.

Unfortunately you can't force people to accept anything. You can't call people "haters" for shaming fat people and have any real changes. Shaming is shaming, even shaming the "haters".

I think the biggest help will be to stop having big industry and the media ram their skeleton girls down everyone's throat and castigate everyone who doesn't resemble them, (Which is most of us).
    If there's no media opinion of what is a normal way to look, then everyone becomes normal again.

Bottom line is, they're making money off getting us to hate ourselves, and having everyone else hate people who don't match the "social ideal".

The food industry fills our food with chemicals designed to make us eat more, and then come the weight loss scams to get us to try to lose it, and then medical bills for all the people with obesity related health issues.

Keeping us hating ourselves and others is a multi billion dollar industry.
  • gr8dayao
    gr8dayao Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have been curious for some time why society has made such an enormous deal out of anorexia but ignores the equally as bad for you eating disorders that make people obese. I have also noticed that with teenage girls the medical profession has no problem telling a skinny child to eat more but refuses to tell an overweight child (unless grossly obese and then they want to take the child away from the parents) to lose weight and eat right because it might cause them to become anorexic. What is healthy is healthy and what is not healthy is not healthy. What is so difficult about telling the truth and accepting the facts?

If you want to get into the subject of taxation as a motivator for healthy living all I can say is I live in a state that taxes cigarettes to death and sales have not been reduced. Taxation does not solve the problem. It is simply a legal means by which the government may steal from the people.
  • SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    I don't want to accept my fat. I want it to go away.

^^^^ SO THIS!!!....I saw a post saying it is refereing to rights that they have like on airplanes and all...Let me lose it and then I won't need my own rules.....#TEAMNOEXCUSE
  • Tonika44137
    Tonika44137 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    bump to read later..very good thread
  • lorib75
    lorib75 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Personally I think it is just an excuse. There is nothing comfortable or acceptable about being overweight. I would not go as far as to say that everyone should follow BMI calculators but I do feel that people should be at a healthy weight in close relation to the calculators. Its really just an excuse to be lazy and not worry about the health issues that come with bearing extra weight.

I beg to differ, I am expected to be accepting of others who have different religious beliefs than mine, but because I am obese, no one has to be accepting of me?
    Listen up people.... FAT DOES NOT EQUAL LAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Look how many "fat" people are on this site and burning up the calories... do you think that means they are lazy???
    I have MS I can't work out 24/7 like some other do, but just because you see an overweight person don't just ASSUME that they are lazy... SMH
    sheesh
  • lorib75
    lorib75 Posts: 490 Member
    Options

1. There is a lot of fat discrimination, it is the only kind that is acceptable. Most of it is dependent on our stereotypes of fat people. We have basically associated all of the "bad" traits to being fat. And we have also labeled it as something fixable, like being poor. It is very much tied into the American identity.

"Fat people are slothful, lazy and over indulgent. If they would just get some self control and pick themselves up by the bootstraps they will be thin and normal." (Doesn't this sound a lot like what we say about poor people, and black people and other non-Asian ethnic people. As if society has zero role in circumstance and opportunity.)

2. The generally accepted message is, if you are "fat" you can't be happy, confident, have nice hings or live your life until you are "normal and thin."

People with positive self images generally treat themselves better, (and are more likely to adopt healthy habits) and our society makes it very difficult to have a positive self-image if you aren't "normal." Unfortunately normalcy applies to size, stature, race, wealth, class and virtually every attribute. Why is "nude" the color beige? Does this mean if I am not "beige" then there is no nude tone that matches me, because I am "abnormal." Or there are "normal" stores with "regular" sizes. And if you don't fit into this "normal" size, you are banished to the deep dark basement where the "abnormal" plus sized clothing goes.

3. We have confused weight with health. There is a loose correlation with weight and health, but people can be healthy at many weights, and unhealthy at the same weight. The biggest problem is that we are so focused on losing weight and not GAINING health, people will resort to ridiculously unhealthy methods in order to see the right number on the scale. These habits are not maintainable and the weight comes back with interest. Causing even poorer health. Focusing on improving health, will help more than losing weight will. And improving health might have a side effect of weight loss. The more we tell people that weight - health, the more people will resort to fad diets, pointless supplements, and remain as unhealthy as they were before.

4. There is no one standard of a healthy weight. My healthy weight might be "fat" or "skinny" or "unhealthy" on someone else.

5. Loving yourself as you are now, doesn't mean that you have to stop improving. Do parents stop loving their kids when they do something bad? Should you stop loving and caring for yourself because you don't have a perfect body/perfect health right now? Of course not, so why are we trying to force this message that you are "less than" and not deserving of love or respect or sympathy because of your current appearance.

VERY WELL SAID AND I THINK YOU ARE MY NEW HERO~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ :drinker:
  • AmericanExpat
    AmericanExpat Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Most people here seem to be saying that no one should be judged on appearances, everyone loved for who they are, etc. Which is true, but that is not what the fat acceptance movement is about. It's about being FORCED to make accomodations for large peopl. Example: Airlines being required to have larger seats. It's kinda like ADA but for large people who are not "disabled".

So the question here should be: How do you feel about that?

As an overweight person who travels very frequently I think it is ridiculous that they would force airlines to make there seats larger. If I am uncomfortable that is on me. I am not disabled, in my situation I have chosen to focus on other things and let my health go.
  • gr8dayao
    gr8dayao Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Personally I think it is just an excuse. There is nothing comfortable or acceptable about being overweight. I would not go as far as to say that everyone should follow BMI calculators but I do feel that people should be at a healthy weight in close relation to the calculators. Its really just an excuse to be lazy and not worry about the health issues that come with bearing extra weight.

I beg to differ, I am expected to be accepting of others who have different religious beliefs than mine, but because I am obese, no one has to be accepting of me?
    Listen up people.... FAT DOES NOT EQUAL LAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Look how many "fat" people are on this site and burning up the calories... do you think that means they are lazy???
    I have MS I can't work out 24/7 like some other do, but just because you see an overweight person don't just ASSUME that they are lazy... SMH
    sheesh

Very true. Fat does not equal lazy.
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options

This.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    People are getting "fit and healthy" and "attractive" mixed up.

MOST people consider thin people to be more attractive than heavy people, and people value others that they find appealing. This is just human nature. That doesn't mean skinny-pack-a-day-smoker-to-kill-her-appetite is more fit or healthy than 200-pound-marathon-runner-fatty. Marathon fatty is healthier hands down, but skinny smoker is probably more pleasing to look at. A thin, toned woman who eats well and takes care of herself will trump both of them easily. All of that is irrelevant when the topic is accepting yourself as less than YOUR ideal.

People keep talking about how a lot of muscle gives you a high BMI and how these "fat" people are healthy. YOU CAN TELL THE DIFFERENCE just by LOOKING at them. No one is looking at Fabio and saying "wow you should lose some weight, your BMI is HIGH". Come on! This whole thread is excuses and justification and a giant pity party! If you aren't the 1% who has a medical condition, then you are fat because you haven't done anything about it and that is NOT ok.

This is the white elephant in the room.

The logic circuit that "attractive" == "healthy" and "unattractive" == "slovenly/lazy/unhealthy".
  • michaelfurey
    Options
    There's nothing beautiful about being obese. Fat is just fat. Get healthy, then you'll be beautiful, no matter what you look like.
  • michaelfurey
    Options
    I don't want to accept my fat. I want it to go away.

Awesome! You are BEAUTIFUL just for thinking like that. Now make it happen, girlie!
  • pfarley68
    pfarley68 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    If someone who is overweight or obese is genuinely happy then great but most of us know that we are less attractive fat. I don't want to be content fat, I don't want to accept myself as long as I have the ability to change. Another thing is, you can't force people to say fat people are beautiful. Some think so and some do not, we all have preferences. That being said I know it hurts to be ignored because of how you look and that breaks my heart to know that people who are heavy are suffering. Personally I won't like you or love you just because your fat but I won't not love you or like because of it either.