Shedding for the Wedding?

Options

Replies

• blcotton
    blcotton Posts: 43
    Options
    I am getting married 8/11/12 only TWO months away! Its been a rough past few years and even though I knew my wedding was coming quickly I've had little motivation until now :( My goal is to lose 50lbs but I'm starting so late now that I probably won't even get close to that by my wedding date. I do want to lose as much as I can though so I can feel really great that day:)
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I am getting married 8/11/12 only TWO months away! Its been a rough past few years and even though I knew my wedding was coming quickly I've had little motivation until now :( My goal is to lose 50lbs but I'm starting so late now that I probably won't even get close to that by my wedding date. I do want to lose as much as I can though so I can feel really great that day:)

Girl, I have the exact same problem. we're getting married the same day and I want to lose 38lbs total, I thought maybe I could lose 10 or so this month before my fitting and lose the rest after the wedding but from all the reading I've been doing it seems like 10lbs isn't going to make too much of a difference in how the dress fits. We'll see, though!
  • DeeVanderbles
    Options
    I have a random question regarding dress alterations after losing weight.

I bought my dress this week in NYC -- my wedding is in about a year. I live in CA so I need to get my alterations done there. Should I go in for a fitting now (I bought my dress a little loose), or wait another couple months since I'm planning on losing some weight before the wedding?

My goal is to lose 20lbs over the course of the next year.

I've heard that alterations can take a lot of time. How many times do you get your dress altered? And how soon to the actual wedding do you do the final fitting?

Thank you! This is all new to me :heart:
    I bought my dress at Alfred Angelo. I asked them how long it would take if I needed alterations and they said about 6 weeks, which is why I'm having my fitting at the end of June for my August wedding. You don't need to take your dress in until 2 months before for your fitting. But you can always call the salon you're going to and ask their policy. They'll be able to give you a decent guideline as to how long their alterations take. But if your wedding isn't for another year, definitely wait a good 6 months or so.

Thank you so much for the advice. I'm going to just put that gigantic bag in the basement for the next 5-6 months and focus on losing some weight before then!

I started working out in October 2011, but I didn't really stick with it. I started again in January and didn't stick with it. Now, my wedding is two months away and I don't have time to lose the weight I really want to lose. Definitely focus on your weight loss over the next few months, you've got a great head start. I wish I started and stuck with it sooner. :frown: Lesson learned. :tongue:
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I have a random question regarding dress alterations after losing weight.

I bought my dress this week in NYC -- my wedding is in about a year. I live in CA so I need to get my alterations done there. Should I go in for a fitting now (I bought my dress a little loose), or wait another couple months since I'm planning on losing some weight before the wedding?

My goal is to lose 20lbs over the course of the next year.

I've heard that alterations can take a lot of time. How many times do you get your dress altered? And how soon to the actual wedding do you do the final fitting?

Thank you! This is all new to me :heart:
    I bought my dress at Alfred Angelo. I asked them how long it would take if I needed alterations and they said about 6 weeks, which is why I'm having my fitting at the end of June for my August wedding. You don't need to take your dress in until 2 months before for your fitting. But you can always call the salon you're going to and ask their policy. They'll be able to give you a decent guideline as to how long their alterations take. But if your wedding isn't for another year, definitely wait a good 6 months or so.

Thank you so much for the advice. I'm going to just put that gigantic bag in the basement for the next 5-6 months and focus on losing some weight before then!

I started working out in October 2011, but I didn't really stick with it. I started again in January and didn't stick with it. Now, my wedding is two months away and I don't have time to lose the weight I really want to lose. Definitely focus on your weight loss over the next few months, you've got a great head start. I wish I started and stuck with it sooner. :frown: Lesson learned. :tongue:

Thank you for the advice. You will look gorgeous no matter what. It's YOUR day and you are not allowed to feel bad in any way, shape or form! Too many women drop a ton of weight before the wedding and then spend the next year putting it all back on. You'll be making the change slowly and it will stick with you for much longer if you do it right!

P.S. I adore Alfred Angelo dresses. **swoon**
  • hark15
    hark15 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I am getting married Sept. 15 and my dress just came in so I tried it on this past weekend. The only thing they altered was the bust area (needed a bit of a lift) but said they wouldn't alter anything else until just a few weeks before the wedding (I was happy to note that the dress was quite loose in the hip/stomach area). SO I can keep losing until probably the end of August! (they also said it wouldn't be good to lose more than 2 dress sizes, but I don't think that would have been possible for me with my frame - I would not look healthy.

Anyway, my goal is to get to 145 by August 30 (6 more pounds!) and do my final fitting around that time :) Then after that I will focus on toning up my stomach for the honeymoon!

Sounds like everyone has great goals but the bottom line is you will feel and look gorgeous on your wedding day no matter what :) when I tried on my wedding dress I loved the way it made me look (12 pounds ago) - mostly i want to lose the weight for the honeymoon and tone up :)
  • wanderinglight
    Options
    What are you all doing for a workout this weekend?

I'm about to walk to the gym -- about 2 miles each way -- and once there do some strength training focusing on bis and tris.

Who else is getting in a workout...and what are you doing??:wink:
  • DeeVanderbles
    Options
    Yesterday, my fiance and I started a running program like the Couch to 5k. It wasn't nearly as excruciating as we thought it was going to be but our legs are killing us today!

Today we're doing day 2 which is just walking, but I also just bought Jillian MIchaels Yoga Meltdown so I'm going to give that a shot today, too. :smile:
  • swati37
    swati37 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    i am also one of u guys... i am loosing weight for my marriage.. i want to look great on my D day.... still have 10 kgs to go and have 8 months to get there... hope i do well..
  • wanderinglight
    Options
    We can do it!

Today I'm going to hit the gym to lift weights. And then maybe a slow wander around NYC.

Yesterday I downloaded a free app called MyMap and I ***love**** it. It uses GPS to track your route and keeps you updated along the way with your miles walked, average pace and time (if you want. Or you can just put it in your pocket and forget about it). I walked 5 miles.

I'm trying to walk 2 miles every day -- taking a break from 10+ years of chronic cardio to see if slowing down makes a difference for me.

Have a great Sunday!
  • hark15
    Options
    Unfortunately I wasn't able to get any workouts in this weekend. Busy weekend at the office and snuck away for a college reunion. I didn't drink much at the reunion but today work has been rough and my eating has, unfortunately, reflected that. I am hoping to get a good workout in tomorrow.

The walking sounds like a GREAT idea. Let us know how it works out :)

As promised - here are my goals for this week:

(1) Do some kind of workout 6 days this week (Monday-Sunday) - do at least 3 days of strength training (my personal training workout).
    (2) Visit the new gym I am considering joining and see about getting a pass for a few free days to check it out (they have a bootcamp class I think would be great for me)
    (3) Cook healthy, low-carb dinners at least 3 of the 7 nights (this past week I did this 0 times due to work, so I am thinking baby steps here)
    (4) Don't go over on calories all week to make up for last week - but get the calories in with cleaner eating

Hope everyone had a great weekend :)
  • wanderinglight
    Options
    Hark15, your goals sound awesome and attainable too.

Keep me updated on what you end up cooking for your three dinners! I'll be doing the same. I cleaned up at the Farmer's Market today and am armed with fresh veggies, fresh fish and the sweetest blackberries EVER.

The market ended up being a full mile from the apartment so all in all I walked 2.7 miles today, with a stop in between at the gym to lift weights. I've fallen in love with walking again.
  • hark15
    Options
    Today I did 45 minutes of cardio and was under my calorie goal! How did everyone else do?!

Tomorrow I am going to do an hour of circuit training and, again, stay under my calorie goal! Had a cupcake tomorrow so tomorrow if I want sweets it will just be one or two dove dark chocolate candies :)
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I am not getting married, but I am trying to lose weight before my cousins wedding Sept 22nd. I would like to drop 30 lbs by then.
    Congrats to all who are getting married soon!
  • wanderinglight
    Options
    I didn't work out today but I'm thinking about going for a short walk or maybe 30 minutes on the elliptical before bed and then interval sprints tomorrow! Great job to everyone who kept it healthy this weekend!
  • rvrtplus2
    rvrtplus2 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    This board seems to be very motivating! I'm getting married November 3, 2012. I've battled with weight my whole life. I thought once I was engaged that I would lose weight. I've struggled these past few months. Ive lost a few pounds and inches then gained.

Current weight 209
    Goal weight by wedding 180

Not sure if this is possible, but I'm going to get as close as possible!!
  • wanderinglight
    Options
    This board seems to be very motivating! I'm getting married November 3, 2012. I've battled with weight my whole life. I thought once I was engaged that I would lose weight. I've struggled these past few months. Ive lost a few pounds and inches then gained.

Current weight 209

You still have time! You have over 20 weeks to go! Even if you kept your goals moderate (at 1lb lost per week), you would be right on track to look fabulous by then!

What's your plan? We're all here to help, support, encourage, or motivate if you need that too.

I switched my focus from exercise to diet. It's been really challenging for me to stick to a nutrition program that means weight loss for me but I'm finally seeing slow results. I am going to have to work at it every single day from now until my wedding and then every day after that as well (I do NOT want to be one of those people that gains it all back six months after the wedding). I'm prepared to do that.

I am stronger than the almighty cookie!
  • hark15
    Options

Current weight 209

You still have time! You have over 20 weeks to go! Even if you kept your goals moderate (at 1lb lost per week), you would be right on track to look fabulous by then!

What's your plan? We're all here to help, support, encourage, or motivate if you need that too.

I switched my focus from exercise to diet. It's been really challenging for me to stick to a nutrition program that means weight loss for me but I'm finally seeing slow results. I am going to have to work at it every single day from now until my wedding and then every day after that as well (I do NOT want to be one of those people that gains it all back six months after the wedding). I'm prepared to do that.

I am stronger than the almighty cookie!

It is absolutely possible! Come up with a plan and then stick to it (unless you find you are stalling and then maybe tweak it a little bit). I also agree with the above - focus on it as a lifestyle change and not just a diet. The wedding is just the motivation we needed to make the change.

Like you, my weight bounced around a bit right after I got engaged - I thought I'd be more motivated but it didn't really sink in. I started fully committing in March and have been very active on MFP for the last 30 days. Since March I've lost 12 pounds (6-7 to go). I only say that, not to toot my own horn, but because you have five months so your goal is totally realistic. We will be here to motivate you every step of the way! i found that I was struggling before getting active on MFP, but now that I am active and track EVERYTHING I eat and focus on taking care of myself I have been much more successful!! The support is amazing on here :)
  • SarahBrown1979
    SarahBrown1979 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    1st off I would like to say congrats! :flowerforyou: Being a newlywed I know all to well of what your going through. You can do it and I'm here for support if you need it! I lost 4 dress sizes for my wedding this past May, it took me about a yr to do it but I did. Best thing you can do is what your doing now, Logging and exercise! Good luck and feel free to friend me, cause even though my wedding is over I still need to support also!
  • cclara
    cclara Posts: 5
    Options
    We are getting married September 1st after a 6-month engagement. At first, I wasn't planning on losing any weight, since my fiance loves me as is (obviously!) but I found myself actually GAINING from stress-eating during planning. So now, with 2 1/2 months to go, I am hoping to lose around 10 or 15 lbs to get back to the weight I was when my fiance and I started dating.

Post-honeymoon, I hope to continue keeping track of what I eat and maybe even get down to what I weighed five years ago!

Best wishes to all you engaged ladies! A lot of you have made amazing progress, it is very encouraging now that I'm starting to do this!
  • wanderinglight
    Options
    We are getting married September 1st after a 6-month engagement. At first, I wasn't planning on losing any weight, since my fiance loves me as is (obviously!) but I found myself actually GAINING from stress-eating during planning. So now, with 2 1/2 months to go, I am hoping to lose around 10 or 15 lbs to get back to the weight I was when my fiance and I started dating.

Post-honeymoon, I hope to continue keeping track of what I eat and maybe even get down to what I weighed five years ago!

Best wishes to all you engaged ladies! A lot of you have made amazing progress, it is very encouraging now that I'm starting to do this!

This seems do-able!