The Fat Acceptance Movement… Thoughts??

Options

Replies

• sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I think it's sad that wonderfully talented, kind, loving and accomplished people are regarded as "less than" because their waistline is "more than'.

Let me introduce you to my older sister: She double majored in math & chemistry and minored in physics. . .graduated with one of those "laude" superlatives that smart folks get (note...I did NOT!). She nearly finished a master's in mathematics until a difficult pregnancy side lined that. She went back to school when her, then, youngest went to Kindergarten and got an accounting degree. The girl is FANTASTIC with numbers. She's a wonderful teacher. As a G.A. in her master's program, kids would be on waiting lists to take her college math class! She's taught nursing students chemistry. She has been married to the same (and only) husband for 21 years. She doesn't much care for make up or hairstyling so she can look a little less polished than some ladies at times. She had a late-in-life baby at almost 46. She held my hand and kept me sane while I went through my divorce. She loves and serves the Lord regularly.

She's 5' 3" and roughly 275.

I'm 5'5" and 133...guess who has it easier in life?

She's smarter, kinder, and much more accomplished in things that have REAL value in life. I have my successes as well, but I seem to get more compliments, more recognition, and generally a more positive vibe from folks. I mean, is running a half marathon at age 40 in under 2 hours REALLY that much more impressive than maintaining a rock solid marriage for 21 years and raising 3 brilliant and gifted daughters and being a loving example of Christ's love? REALLY? I get all kinds of praise for running accomplishments and my sister stands by with a smile on her face.

I don't ACCEPT my sister's weight as the totallity of who she is. It's unhealthy. She's smart enough to figure that out. I love HER and accept HER regardless of what the scale says. I think if we could have that sort of acceptance for PEOPLE regardless of physical characteristics they have or don't have, we wouldn't need many of the "movements" or "clubs" that seek to elevate the status or positive qualities of any particular group.
  • jpuderbaugh
    jpuderbaugh Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I think that there shouldn't be a question that we accept people no matter their size, race, gender, sexual preference, marriage status, religious preference, and on and on. Whatever happened to there just being human acceptance? Why are we so hell bent on making ourselves different from others and then exploiting it? I was just raised in the concept that all people deserve respect until they do something heinous.

As far as the movement, I don't have a problem with it, but I will admit I don't understand people who want to be obese and choose to live their life that way and exploit themselves (specifically, I'm thinking of a Dr. Phil episode recently when a 500lb woman wanted to be the biggest person in the world). I think that calling unneccesary attention to yourself gives the impression of low-self-worth and desperation.

^^^^ This.
  • kathdela
    kathdela Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I have met very very few smokers that don't know that smoking is bad for you.

I have met very very few fat people that don't know that being fat is bad for you.

I have met many people that feel the need to share with fat people that they are disgusting and that they are unhealthy. If we're going to crusade against the fat people being unhealthy we better also pack up and start letting the smokers know that they are going to die and the *kitten* need to be informed that their sport-****** is going to lead to HIV and death as well.

It's similar to religious people telling other people that if they don't read their holy book and accept their holy dogma that they will burn in a pit of fire for all time.

To anyone who feels the pressing need to tell fat people they are unhealthy, unless you are their doctor or unless they specifically asked you for your opinion on being fat, please kindly STFU. I can pretty much guarantee you that being fat carries with it an entire package deal of ridicule and social issues and that they have probably been told by a good many non-fat people how unhealthy they are, so even the dimmest of fat people knows that being fat is probably not the best thing for them if only because people treat them like feces on a day to day basis.
    THIS.
  • krawl78
    krawl78 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    We've been accepting the bone thin, anorexic, stick looking models in magazine and in movies for years as the "norm". How is that ANY healthier than being overweight or obese? It isn't.

It is what it is people. Accepting, not accepting, our opinions don't matter because until an obese person (e.g., ME) gives a damn about their own lives, nothing will ever change. We cannot force someone to be healthy or thin, just like we cannot force someone to be smart.
  • dutchesse
    dutchesse Posts: 11
    Options
    Both. Some will use it as an excuse, but that's not a bad thing. If they're happy with who they are, who am I (or anyone else for that matter) to change that? Fat does not necessarily mean unhealthy or not fit, after all.
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    I've seen alot of this on my sister's facebook page. I think it's great. They post pictures of girls of ALL different sizes and shapes saying "I'm beautiful" or something along those lines and then they get 10,000 likes. If people can look at a girl who is a size 20 can accept her as beautiful and give her confidence, I'm all for it!

I don't think it's an excuse to stay overweight and certainly hope it doesn't become that. But people being happy and confident is a good thing. Espcially in children and teens.
    It's not about being beautiful or ugly. It's about being healthy, and while fat people can be relatively healthy, there is no debating the fact that obese people are much more likely to have all kinds of health problems, from diabetes to hypertension to heart disease. Why accept something that is detrimental that can be changed?
  • kathdela
    kathdela Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Here's the bottom line, guys. It is not YOU job to police anyone's body or their choices. It doesn't matter what they are doing. IT. IS. NOT. YOUR JOB. You have no business telling anyone how they should be eating.

If you wouldn't accept it for yourself, that's fine. Then don't do it yourself. You're not some great hero who's come in and giving this overweight person brand new information. Chances are, they've heard it before.

But again, and I can't say it enough. IT IS NOT YOUR JOB.
  • grnice
    grnice Posts: 96
    Options
    I think it's sad that wonderfully talented, kind, loving and accomplished people are regarded as "less than" because their waistline is "more than'.

Let me introduce you to my older sister: She double majored in math & chemistry and minored in physics. . .graduated with one of those "laude" superlatives that smart folks get (note...I did NOT!). She nearly finished a master's in mathematics until a difficult pregnancy side lined that. She went back to school when her, then, youngest went to Kindergarten and got an accounting degree. The girl is FANTASTIC with numbers. She's a wonderful teacher. As a G.A. in her master's program, kids would be on waiting lists to take her college math class! She's taught nursing students chemistry. She has been married to the same (and only) husband for 21 years. She doesn't much care for make up or hairstyling so she can look a little less polished than some ladies at times. She had a late-in-life baby at almost 46. She held my hand and kept me sane while I went through my divorce. She loves and serves the Lord regularly.

She's smarter, kinder, and much more accomplished in things that have REAL value in life. I have my successes as well, but I seem to get more compliments, more recognition, and generally a more positive vibe from folks. I mean, is running a half marathon at age 40 in under 2 hours REALLY that much more impressive than maintaining a rock solid marriage for 21 years and raising 3 brilliant and gifted daughters and being a loving example of Christ's love? REALLY? I get all kinds of praise for running accomplishments and my sister stands by with a smile on her face.

I don't ACCEPT my sister's weight as the totallity of who she is. It's unhealthy. She's smart enough to figure that out. I love HER and accept HER regardless of what the scale says. I think if we could have that sort of acceptance for PEOPLE regardless of physical characteristics they have or don't have, we wouldn't need many of the "movements" or "clubs" that seek to elevate the status or positive qualities of any particular group.

That was so sweet! I wish my sister would tell me something like that!
  • piesbd
    piesbd Posts: 196 Member
    Options

That was so sweet! I wish my sister would tell me something like that!

LOVE THIS :)
  • kmayer01
    kmayer01 Posts: 1
    Options
    You know its funny you say that. I think its goes both ways. People are so focused on the outward appearance they rarely look past it to other's characters, personality, and heart. What is inside is so much more important. Its good to be healthy, but be healthy inside first and outside next. I'm thin and get the cold shoulder even though I never flaunt it. I think that cold shoulder goes for all people, fat and thin, and stems from jealousy, insecurity, and shallowness. We need to look beyond to who people are inside. The outside is temporary!
  • BustyTransformer
    BustyTransformer Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Fat or skinny. Short or tall It doesn't really matter. It's about your health. If you're big and have no health issues whatsoever because of your weight then fine. Being FAT and not simply a tad overweight will always bring health problems. Your body was not meant to be weighed down by 50+ lbs of greasy FAT. Yell to the world that you're happy to be fat if you wan,t but if you need to make such a big deal of how happy you are, then I'm 99% sure you're miserable. Self confidence is a lovely thing, being sick and unhealthy is not.
  • taram1981
    taram1981 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I think it comes down to basic courtesy - the purpose of this movement is to teach others that treating people who are very overweight differently is unacceptable. It's not about how much they weigh, their sexual orientation, the color of their skin - we should treat EVERYONE we come across with kindness and respect. That does not mean that we should tolerate obesity or preach acceptance of it. Being obese causes serious health issues and we need to continue to teach and practice good health. However, being overweight is not the sum total of a person - just like your past is not your future. It's simply a part of who you are, and it can be changed. Example: you wouldn't treat someone differently because they are a smoker - smoking is generally accepted as normal, and in some circles expected. But if you see a 300lb woman at McDonald's you might make faces or whisper about her at your table. Both individuals are making very poor health choices - but we should not judge people....period. YOUR WORTH IS NOT BASED ON YOUR LOOKS. And I am so tired of media, society, and pop culture trying to convince us that it is. Bottom line: I think it's a positive thing to see pictures of attractive, confident, overweight women - we do not need to shame each other any more than we have.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Here's the bottom line, guys. It is not YOU job to police anyone's body or their choices. It doesn't matter what they are doing. IT. IS. NOT. YOUR JOB. You have no business telling anyone how they should be eating.

If you wouldn't accept it for yourself, that's fine. Then don't do it yourself. You're not some great hero who's come in and giving this overweight person brand new information. Chances are, they've heard it before.

Nobody is saying go up to strangers in the street or stand on a soapbox with a megaphone in the middle of a shopping mall, very few if any would do that. But if someone says, "Jeez my back is getting worse", or "Do you know, I can't climb a flight of stairs without getting out of breath", then is there anything wrong with telling someone in a polite and constructive way "Hey it might help if you joined me on my new exercise and diet plan - what's your thoughts?"
  • liog
    liog Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I do not believe in treating any overweight person as less than. I do not believe in ridiculing or berating. We all come in different shapes and sizes and should be loved an appreciated for the person we are, not what we look like. That said, we as a country need to wake up and realize that we have a problem with our overall health and we are the only ones who can change it.

I cringe when I hear that my kids' generation will likely not live as long as my generation with the major culprit being obesity related diseases. This is something that most of us can do something about. I realize that there are people with health issues who are overweight because of those health issues. Economic factors that play into it too. Instead of making concessions we should be working toward the norm being a healthy lifestyle. Our kids need to eat better. We need grocery stores in every community. We need places for people to walk and playgrounds for kids to play on. If we do this as a whole, I believe most of us will see positive changes in our health and the health of our families. We are the only ones who can reverse the trend.

I also believe that weight will catch up with most people eventually. My father and father-in-law are examples of this. My father-in-law has been obese for over thirty years and developed diabetes about seven years ago. The major problems just started within the last 2 years. It is amazing how his health has spiraled down so quickly. He is only 65 and he is facing the real possibility of amputation due to complications from diabetes. We will find out more next week. He has neuropathy, hardening of the arteries, decreased heart/lung/kidney function and his vision has been impaired. He also has short-term memory loss. My father, who is also morbidly obese has started to have a lot of problems too.

Neither of them can play with their grandkids. My kids will never know what it is like to play ball or go fishing with grandpa. Instead of enjoying their retirement years, they are constantly going to doctors and hospitals. They have to spend so much on medication that they can't afford to do the things they always planned on doing when they retired. It is sad and very unfortunate.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    It is extremely important (as is the Health at Every Size movement).

There are a couple of key reasons:

1. There is a lot of fat discrimination, it is the only kind that is acceptable. Most of it is dependent on our stereotypes of fat people. We have basically associated all of the "bad" traits to being fat. And we have also labeled it as something fixable, like being poor. It is very much tied into the American identity.

"Fat people are slothful, lazy and over indulgent. If they would just get some self control and pick themselves up by the bootstraps they will be thin and normal." (Doesn't this sound a lot like what we say about poor people, and black people and other non-Asian ethnic people. As if society has zero role in circumstance and opportunity.)

2. The generally accepted message is, if you are "fat" you can't be happy, confident, have nice hings or live your life until you are "normal and thin."

People with positive self images generally treat themselves better, (and are more likely to adopt healthy habits) and our society makes it very difficult to have a positive self-image if you aren't "normal." Unfortunately normalcy applies to size, stature, race, wealth, class and virtually every attribute. Why is "nude" the color beige? Does this mean if I am not "beige" then there is no nude tone that matches me, because I am "abnormal." Or there are "normal" stores with "regular" sizes. And if you don't fit into this "normal" size, you are banished to the deep dark basement where the "abnormal" plus sized clothing goes.

3. We have confused weight with health. There is a loose correlation with weight and health, but people can be healthy at many weights, and unhealthy at the same weight. The biggest problem is that we are so focused on losing weight and not GAINING health, people will resort to ridiculously unhealthy methods in order to see the right number on the scale. These habits are not maintainable and the weight comes back with interest. Causing even poorer health. Focusing on improving health, will help more than losing weight will. And improving health might have a side effect of weight loss. The more we tell people that weight - health, the more people will resort to fad diets, pointless supplements, and remain as unhealthy as they were before.

4. There is no one standard of a healthy weight. My healthy weight might be "fat" or "skinny" or "unhealthy" on someone else.

5. Loving yourself as you are now, doesn't mean that you have to stop improving. Do parents stop loving their kids when they do something bad? Should you stop loving and caring for yourself because you don't have a perfect body/perfect health right now? Of course not, so why are we trying to force this message that you are "less than" and not deserving of love or respect or sympathy because of your current appearance.

VERY WELL SAID AND I THINK YOU ARE MY NEW HERO~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ :drinker:

Thanks!
  • xcrmonger
    xcrmonger Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I don't believe anyone has a right to make another person feel badly about themselves.

Chances are an overweight person isn't going to change just because other people view them badly. They have to change because they want to. Because it's a choice for them.

Shaming people never brings out any truly positive results. You have to love yourself, take care of yourself, and work toward being a better person because YOU want it. Not because others want it.

A lifetime of servitude to the opinions of others is no life at all.
  • manda1002
    manda1002 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I think that if it means people will stop judging me when I'm not working out (which I do at home so you wouldn't know that I do unless you actually knew me) or when I'm grocery shopping for my family (and sometimes friends because they just can't make it out for a few things) or when my husband takes me out to eat, then I'm all for it. As a person with very low self esteem and self image issues (I don't like how I look, I think I look way bigger than I do, but I'M working on it) you're not helping me by telling me that I should work out more, or that my food choices are terrible, or that what I've put in my cart isn't good for someone of my weight to eat (thank you, it's for my husband, not for me) or that I just look ugly because I'm so fat. If you don't know me well enough for me to invite you into my home, then don't judge me, because you don't know me. You don't know how hard I try to lose the weight, how hard I try to fight 28 YEARS of bad habits, how hard I fight to reverse 5 long agonizing years of a man telling me how fat and ugly I am. I left him 8 years ago and I still can't shake the horrible thoughts and feelings. My husband is amazing to me, loves me no matter how small/large I am, but until I can love me and accept me, and you stop judging me, I'm going to keep fighting this fight. So if FA means people will leave me alone in regards to my weight, then great. Maybe I can finally take one step forward, without any back.

/sigh. Sorry it's long, and if it doesn't make sense.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

Nor yours to tell others not to. That's the world we live in. I'm all for people feeling good about themselves. Being bullied as a kid, I don't approve of people being mocked for whatever creed they decide to live by. But when you are trying to force me to live by your standards and it costs me to pay for yourself when you're not taking proper care of yourself, I have a problem. I really can't believe that there are laws that says because you are such and such weight, you can be deemed disabled, give you a disability tag and it's OK. Meanwhile, you can walk to he grocery store on your own power, but then sit and ride a scooter and bump into my cart. That's the problem I have. My neighbor, who is a social worker, will say people will admit to her that they refuse to lose the weight because they will lose their benefits. God bless America!
  • gogophers
    gogophers Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Most people here seem to be saying that no one should be judged on appearances, everyone loved for who they are, etc. Which is true, but that is not what the fat acceptance movement is about. It's about being FORCED to make accomodations for large peopl. Example: Airlines being required to have larger seats. It's kinda like ADA but for large people who are not "disabled".

So the question here should be: How do you feel about that?

As an overweight person who travels very frequently I think it is ridiculous that they would force airlines to make there seats larger. If I am uncomfortable that is on me. I am not disabled, in my situation I have chosen to focus on other things and let my health go.

I don't think airlines should be forced to accommodate larger people. If the market for accommodations is big enough, an airline would reconfigure some planes to allow for heavier people and charge a little more. As it stands now, overly obese people have to pay for two seats. I think that's a fair way to handle it (as long as they actually get the benefits associated with a second seat like a doubled luggage allowance and additional carry-on space).
  • Panda_1999
    Panda_1999 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    It's just an excuse. Period. I don't care what anyone says, you cannot be healthy and fat at the same time.

And attitudes like this are why this movement is needed, there are many reasons people end up over-weight. As for fat kids, maybe if they didn't put HFCS in infant formula/and almost everything else we wouldn't have obese 6 month olds, or are they just lazy?

This kind of "No Acceptance" attitude even stops people from getting help or even trying to get better.
    http://litu.dlife.com/diabetes/your-doctor-and-you/fat_prejudice_and_obesity