Anyone else have a mentally ill parent?

Options

Replies

• spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Is it really enabling behaviors by your mom or is it just a deep founded love for her husband that is very difficult for her to pass up and admit to herself that he has a problem?

Schizophrenia is a very elaborate and often confused disease, I am sure you are well aware of that. If you have clearly shown her what the problem is you are having and she is not correcting it it may be time to move on.

I guess I should have clarified that she is well aware he has a problem... she had him committed for three weeks once when he tried to kill her. He was forced to take medication then, but the judge just let him out without requiring meds. The judge said he could order them, but there was no real way to enforce his taking them unless she wanted to risk his being institutionalized again, and she would just rather live with it.

They go to a religious counselor (his delusions center on religion so I'm not sure this is the best decision, IMHO), even though she is not religious. The more they go, the more she makes the effort to justify his emotional abuse of my brother and me, saying that it's just "his way" of showing that he loves us. Sorry, I don't need it. I have to set boundaries, and that makes me feel so incredibly guilty.

Sad day.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I believe my mum is undiagnosed bipolar. Only in the last few years did I realise that's probably the case, though I'd cut ties with her a few years beforehand.

She also appears to be a compulsive liar, but if I'm honest I haven't ever worked out if she knows she's lying, or has genuinely forgotten the things she's lying about.

Cut almost all contact with my mum over three years ago, though in reality I'd lost who she was long before that. I have good memories of her from very early childhood, but she's not been that person in a long time.
  • 17ChargerGirl17
    Options
    No I do not have a mentally ill parent. But I do have a Schizophrenic/Bi Polar/Suicidal son.
    He was abused by his step mother when he was younger and never told anyone and when he was about 17 he snapped and has had problems every since. He has tried to commint suicide numberous times and has been committed to Behavioral Health twice.
    I love him very much but I had to decide if he living with me was a good thing with my other kids. (he is 21 now).. I felt like he took everything out of me and my other children started to resent him. As a mother it is a lose, lose situation, ya know?
    He has moved now and is doing really good. He takes his meds and is working.
    So things can always get better. But when you have someone that enables that person, it is a tough situation. I know that I enabled my son to a degree and I am sorry that I did for as long as I did.
  • Octopies
    Octopies Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    My mother is bipolar I and refuses to get treatment. She acts like we can't tell (despite our father asking her to get help) but I really wish she would. There have been times that I just totally want to desert her because she is acting like a child and taking everything as a slight against her "immaculate self". This has been a battle ever since I was little, and I only recently began to see the signs. She actually told me about her being bipolar but she doesn't like medication because the few of them she's tried haven't been great... nevermind that they gave her antidepressants that make bipolar worse, it's not the doctors fault! All medications are terrible, you see! And it's not like there aren't a bunch of other medications out there for her to try. I don't even think she *wants* help.

(ALWAYS see a psychiatrist for brain meds. General practitioners don't know as much and are quick to prescribe antidepressants even when a patient isn't even depressed, which can really mess people who are actually bipolar up. Doctors do the physical body, psychiatrists do the mental body.)

I'm mentally ill as well, but it is under control and I don't refuse help for it.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    To each of the people posting today: I am never again going to complain about how hard it is to take care of myself and lose weight. I am awed by the amount of strength that you each have and have had to have to survive this far. My thoughts are with each of you.
  • chi18
    chi18 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you're going through this and I understand how hard it is. Because people don't realize the toll that years and years of putting up with this takes. And they don't understand the guilt or the confusion or the shame or the resentment which often causes further guilt. You cannot explain to someone what it's like to grow up with a parent who does not value their own life, or who will get angry over tiny things and break things and punch a hole in the wall. And they're your caretaker who is supposed to shelter you from these things. Or who is too depressed to get out of bed and would rather eat garbage, watch bad TV, chain smoke, and have all sorts of health problems than do anything else. And who, despite not seeming to care about anything, is still so completely selfish. And what it's like to realize that your other parent and your aunts and uncles and grandparents don't want to deal with it either so you just have to keep your head down, grow up, and then get the hell out of there.

I tried to be understanding. I tried to have an adult relationship with my father and my mother who stays because she is a martyr and co-dependent. And then last year I'd just had enough. I couldn't watch him try to passively kill himself anymore and I couldn't let her verbally abuse me because she won't say anything to him anymore. So I asked for some space. Even then they pushed back because they hate boundaries. But I started seeing a therapist to work through my issues with them and she helped me to hold my ground. I once said to her, "I don't like being around them because I don't get anything out of a relationship with them. They're crazy and I don't trust them." Her perfect response was, "That's not true - you don't get nothing. You get anxiety and guilt and you feel terrible. Don't minimize that by calling it nothing." I was feeling really good about having no contact because I felt like their issues and demands and feelings took up so much space that there was none left for me. Then in March my father finally made an attempt at his own life. And afterwards it was really difficult to decide what to do. And the best course of action for me was to say, "I'm not talking to them right now." You don't have to make some big declaration regarding forever and ever - just take it one day at a time and decide what you want to do for now. Because it's too much to think about if you go past that, you know? Decide what is best for you and your health and your sanity (Remember you? They may not be considering you but you should!) and go from there. Try finding a therapist who can help you if you're able to. I was very resistant to therapy for a long time because I felt like that was something THEY did. THEY were crazy and dysfunctional and need therapy but I was different and I was stronger and didn't need it. Nonsense. You grow up in that environment you need someone to help you through this - I don't care if I have to pay someone to be in my corner every week, she's in my corner and that's what matters.

I'm sorry this is so long and rambling and word-vomity. Just know that I think you're amazing and brave for posting this and reaching out for help because that is something I really struggle with. Feel free to send me a message or a friend request or anything at any time because those of us who "get it" need to stick together.
  • edena1987
    edena1987 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    My mother is bipolar I and refuses to get treatment. She acts like we can't tell (despite our father asking her to get help) but I really wish she would. There have been times that I just totally want to desert her because she is acting like a child and taking everything as a slight against her "immaculate self". This has been a battle ever since I was little, and I only recently began to see the signs. She actually told me about her being bipolar but she doesn't like medication because the few of them she's tried haven't been great... nevermind that they gave her antidepressants that make bipolar worse, it's not the doctors fault! All medications are terrible, you see! And it's not like there aren't a bunch of other medications out there for her to try. I don't even think she *wants* help.

(ALWAYS see a psychiatrist for brain meds. General practitioners don't know as much and are quick to prescribe antidepressants even when a patient isn't even depressed, which can really mess people who are actually bipolar up. Doctors do the physical body, psychiatrists do the mental body.)

I'm mentally ill as well, but it is under control and I don't refuse help for it.

This is my mother to a friggin T. She is a psycho.
  • spartangirl79
    Options
    No I do not have a mentally ill parent. But I do have a Schizophrenic/Bi Polar/Suicidal son.
    He was abused by his step mother when he was younger and never told anyone and when he was about 17 he snapped and has had problems every since. He has tried to commint suicide numberous times and has been committed to Behavioral Health twice.
    I love him very much but I had to decide if he living with me was a good thing with my other kids. (he is 21 now).. I felt like he took everything out of me and my other children started to resent him. As a mother it is a lose, lose situation, ya know?
    He has moved now and is doing really good. He takes his meds and is working.
    So things can always get better. But when you have someone that enables that person, it is a tough situation. I know that I enabled my son to a degree and I am sorry that I did for as long as I did.

I'm glad your son is doing better... how scary for you. Medication has such terrible side effects, but it can literally save your life, you know? I am sad to say that not only will my dad never take it, my mom has even refused to approach the subject with him anymore. She would rather live like that than even try the natural approach (not that it would cure anything, but high-level vitamin and fish oil treatments have been shown to have minimal but noticeable effect).

Does anyone else feel it is harder being a female relative (mother, daughter, sister) -- like we are supposed to be more caregiving, more forgiving, more willing to come back time and again to make the effort to have the relationship? I am being guilted into this and *I'm* the selfish one for not actively pursuing a relationship (over and over) and just ignoring the emotional abuse because it's "how he shows me he loves me." I feel like even though I'm an adult now, I shouldn't have to sacrifice my emotional wellbeing to satisfy the insane narcissistic needs of a grown man. Does that make me a horrible person? It sure feels like it and my mom's guilt trips are not helping. Just because she wants to care for a spoiled 64-year-old child who emotionally abuses her and manipulates her doesn't mean I do.
  • spartangirl79
    Options
    I have a mentally ill son.

My father was bipolar and he died of an overdose. I cut ties with him about a year before he died though.

My mom is a severe diabetic. She has had several surgeries, she had strokes, heart attacks, she's going blind...the list is just never ending with all her conditions. She refuses to take her medicines. She comes up with every excuse not to. To me, she's acting no different than my dad did. I recently cut ties with her. I'm not gonna sit around and watch her kill herself, everything that is wrong with her, is her own doing.

I'm so sorry about your mom, and your dad. My dad's dad was also an alcoholic schizophrenic and he killed himself several years back.

It is so infuriating to watch a loved one slowly kill themselves. My mom is also diabetic -- she doesn't take care of herself either, has always been this way whether it was just not buying herself new clothes from time to time to using bar soap on her face because she didn't want to spend the money on facial cleanser -- and she refuses to exercise. She would rather just take medications and complain about it. I am sure she is facing some sort of mental illness whether depression or codependency or who knows what else... she is definitely our family's martyr and it breaks my heart to see her this way. I guess after being emotionally abused for 40 years of marriage you cannot really see your own value anymore and have no self esteem. I'm starting to feel exactly the way you do and it just breaks my heart... but you have to take care of your own family and self, at some point, or you'll end up going down the exact same path, right?

So conflicting!

Sorry this thread has been such a downer, btw, but it sure sounds like there are a lot of us out there who need support. Self help books can only do so much! I hope everyone can find a support system and take good care of themselves!
  • spartangirl79
    Options
    To each of the people posting today: I am never again going to complain about how hard it is to take care of myself and lose weight. I am awed by the amount of strength that you each have and have had to have to survive this far. My thoughts are with each of you.

Thank you so much. Just reading others' posts, and knowing I am not alone, is incredibly helpful! Mental illness is super isolating and you can't really discuss it with your coworkers like you can when a family member has a heart attack or something, you know?
  • spartangirl79
    Options
    I'm so sorry you're going through this and I understand how hard it is. Because people don't realize the toll that years and years of putting up with this takes. And they don't understand the guilt or the confusion or the shame or the resentment which often causes further guilt. You cannot explain to someone what it's like to grow up with a parent who does not value their own life, or who will get angry over tiny things and break things and punch a hole in the wall. And they're your caretaker who is supposed to shelter you from these things. Or who is too depressed to get out of bed and would rather eat garbage, watch bad TV, chain smoke, and have all sorts of health problems than do anything else. And who, despite not seeming to care about anything, is still so completely selfish. And what it's like to realize that your other parent and your aunts and uncles and grandparents don't want to deal with it either so you just have to keep your head down, grow up, and then get the hell out of there.

I tried to be understanding. I tried to have an adult relationship with my father and my mother who stays because she is a martyr and co-dependent. And then last year I'd just had enough. I couldn't watch him try to passively kill himself anymore and I couldn't let her verbally abuse me because she won't say anything to him anymore. So I asked for some space. Even then they pushed back because they hate boundaries. But I started seeing a therapist to work through my issues with them and she helped me to hold my ground. I once said to her, "I don't like being around them because I don't get anything out of a relationship with them. They're crazy and I don't trust them." Her perfect response was, "That's not true - you don't get nothing. You get anxiety and guilt and you feel terrible. Don't minimize that by calling it nothing." I was feeling really good about having no contact because I felt like their issues and demands and feelings took up so much space that there was none left for me. Then in March my father finally made an attempt at his own life. And afterwards it was really difficult to decide what to do. And the best course of action for me was to say, "I'm not talking to them right now." You don't have to make some big declaration regarding forever and ever - just take it one day at a time and decide what you want to do for now. Because it's too much to think about if you go past that, you know? Decide what is best for you and your health and your sanity (Remember you? They may not be considering you but you should!) and go from there. Try finding a therapist who can help you if you're able to. I was very resistant to therapy for a long time because I felt like that was something THEY did. THEY were crazy and dysfunctional and need therapy but I was different and I was stronger and didn't need it. Nonsense. You grow up in that environment you need someone to help you through this - I don't care if I have to pay someone to be in my corner every week, she's in my corner and that's what matters.

I'm sorry this is so long and rambling and word-vomity. Just know that I think you're amazing and brave for posting this and reaching out for help because that is something I really struggle with. Feel free to send me a message or a friend request or anything at any time because those of us who "get it" need to stick together.

Thank you for this. I like word vomit, so it's all good.
    Friend request coming. :flowerforyou:
  • spartangirl79
    Options
    Hey. I live with a mother who is a hoarder & who displays boredline personality disorder symptoms, something that I have as well. It can get very frustrating living with her, as she has never sought mental help & doesn't even believe anything is wrong with her. If your parents won't respect your boundaries, then you just have to distance yourself. You can't control your mom or dad's actions. You're mom may be an enabler, but don't let yourself be one. Hold your parents accountable to the boundaries you respect. For instance, if you say don't call me after 8pm & he calls you after that constantly, then you tell him hey dad, i can't have you doing that. Until you can respect my boundaries I will not be answering any of your calls. Eventually he may come around and realize in order to have you in his life he may need to take his medication. I'd say stop worrying about your parents, and focus on yourself. They will come around eventually if you stay strong.

Hey, thanks for this. BTW, I think it was your thread I saw the other day where people were ripping on you saying that depression isn't real and it's all a matter of willpower to not be depressed... what a bunch of BS. (If that wasn't you, my bad, your pic looked familiar). Either way I'm sorry you have to live with a hoarder. That must be exhausting and I know I would be extremely clostrophobic if I had to live in that situation. My mom is definitely a hoarder, too (that runs in the family, her sister is as well).
  • beachlover317
    Options

Thank you so much. Just reading others' posts, and knowing I am not alone, is incredibly helpful! Mental illness is super isolating and you can't really discuss it with your coworkers like you can when a family member has a heart attack or something, you know?

It sure can be. Before I retired, I worked with young women who were first time parents. Many of them had mothers with a mental illness (diagnosed and not). One of the hardest obstables they had was learning to parent their own children in a healthy way. The saddest thing was that each one wanted a relationship with their mother - longed for this- and many times, for their own stability, they had to set pretty severe boundaries. I wish you safety and peace in your decisions.
  • aftergypsies
    aftergypsies Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    My mother is definitely mentally ill but I am not sure with what. If she was ever diagnosed I wouldn't know. She likes to hide her mental state from me despite her being in and out of hospitals (in the mental ward) for years now. I no longer speak with her as of 5 months ago in hopes she will get help since I have run out of options. I am sorry for anyone who has to deal with a mentally ill relative. It's hard.
  • Marenbea69
    Options
    My mother suffered from severe depression since I was 3, she had electro shocks lost her memory etc. I looked after my sister and brother and was always called the difficult child, maybe cause I stopped being one at the age of 6 to become an adult.
    It looks to me that here we have something in common and no wonder we all over eat, maybe is related to what we go through in daily basis. My mother got better with time but she was never completely normal. Totally dependent personality till the day she died., she was an other child.

Good luck to eveyone and is important to detach a little from their lives to live our own.

Liz
  • spartangirl79
    Options
    I just wanted to give you a virtual hug and urge you to see what options are available to you in your area (residential facilities, home health visits, etc.). I work in a mental health correctional facility. The majority of our residents suffer from schizophrenia and were ordered to our facility after trying to harm someone (usually a family member). A person suffering from schizophrenia and non-compliant with medications can escalate into violence very fast. For example: My best friend's grandfather was schizophrenic, and her grandmother was an enabler. He pulled a gun on her one day. Her solution was to empty all of the hunting rifles and remove all of the ammunition from the house. He ended up attacking her with a knife.

Schizophrenia is one of those things that's very hard on the families of those suffering from it. I wish you a lot of peace, calm, and strength. Just do what you can and encourage your mother to be careful.

Thank you for your note. I actually moved out of state, so I don't live near my parents. Unfortunately, the judge who released my dad from the facility he was in said he could order medication, but would not monitor it and basically they just said go about your merry way. The mental health system in MI is pretty pathetic, IMHO. My mom was once involved with the local chapter of NAMI (after my dad was first diagnosed) and I'm encouraging her to get involved again... I think the longer it is just the two of them in that house, the more she slips into her own issues and can't see clearly how his behaviors (and hers) affect others. Thanks again. :flowerforyou:
  • spartangirl79
    Options
    My mother suffered from severe depression since I was 3, she had electro shocks lost her memory etc. I looked after my sister and brother and was always called the difficult child, maybe cause I stopped being one at the age of 6 to become an adult.
    It looks to me that here we have something in common and no wonder we all over eat, maybe is related to what we go through in daily basis. My mother got better with time but she was never completely normal. Totally dependent personality till the day she died., she was an other child.

Good luck to eveyone and is important to detach a little from their lives to live our own.

Liz

Wow, how scary for a child... I hope you did not have to attend the electroshock therapy sessions with your mom. I have seen those documentaries and they are so sad. I completely understand having to grow up at a young age (kindergartners should not be breaking up their parents' fights, ya know??)... I would definitely imagine that these are major issues that contribute to (at least my) weight problems today.
  • spartangirl79
    Options

It sure can be. Before I retired, I worked with young women who were first time parents. Many of them had mothers with a mental illness (diagnosed and not). One of the hardest obstables they had was learning to parent their own children in a healthy way. The saddest thing was that each one wanted a relationship with their mother - longed for this- and many times, for their own stability, they had to set pretty severe boundaries. I wish you safety and peace in your decisions.

Thanks very much... I cannot imagine bringing a child into the world with this looming over me. The potential to pass on the illness is too great... we've decided to not have kids for lots of reasons, but this is definitely part of it. All the things we never were able to do (travel, etc.) as kids, I (and my husband who also had a difficult childhood) want to do as an adult. I'm in a massive amount of debt due to college and my own bipolar spending habits (didn't get diagnosed till my 30s), but as soon as that's paid off we want to enjoy our lives together and aren't really interested in kids. Have already been a parent long enough, in a sense.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Well yea!

All sorts going on.

Mother depressive (really bad long term untreated post natal depression plus she's that way as a personality).

Father PTSD.

Older sister has learning difficulties plus schizophrenia - since early adulthood I've always been her primary carer.

My very close brother took his own life 2 years ago, aged 52. (my older and not close brother died of cancer 6 months later).

Niece (daughter of the above) took her own life aged 15 in 2006.

I used to work as a mental health professional for many years - attracted to it by my background I think - but since the recent suicides in the family my attitude has changed. I struggled really to carry on after my niece's death, and after my brother's I gave up that career totally and am trying really hard to find a healthier way of living for myself. Both physically (hence MFP) and mentally.

I know all those feelings of being caught up and entrapped...

Anyone on this thread, please add me as a friend - I'm a supporter and encourager, not an emotional drain, but it's also good to know people who understand where the pits are, if you know what I mean.
  • beachlover317
    Options

Thanks very much... I cannot imagine bringing a child into the world with this looming over me. The potential to pass on the illness is too great... we've decided to not have kids for lots of reasons, but this is definitely part of it. All the things we never were able to do (travel, etc.) as kids, I (and my husband who also had a difficult childhood) want to do as an adult. I'm in a massive amount of debt due to college and my own bipolar spending habits (didn't get diagnosed till my 30s), but as soon as that's paid off we want to enjoy our lives together and aren't really interested in kids. Have already been a parent long enough, in a sense.

Wow. Also another caveat of having a parent with mental illness - you've already done the parenting thing. So many of my clients were not diagnosed with mental illness, but being raised by a mentally ill parent, they had to fight not to exhibit behaviors that they had learned growing up. Good for you and your husband. It sounds like you're there for each other. I hope your future is full of wonderful things to make your memories. Life is too short to dwell on what could have been....so they say. It's just really hard not to, sometimes. Stay strong.