Is anyone training for something specific?

Options

Replies

• 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    It started with "just" getting in shape and looking good. Then, to keep motivation up to get out there and run, I started entering races. I've run a half-marathon relay and a full half-marathon already (Disney's Princess Half-Marathon 1:54:16). I've got a 4-race "season" coming up starting in September, so I'm working toward a half-marathon PR sometime this fall.

As much as I've come to love running (nothing like watching the sun come up on a Saturday morning LSD), having something specific to work toward, aside from just the abstract or vague goal of "be more fit," has definitely helped keep me motivated.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i'm training for my first triathlon. it's next sunday!!

crap... i should hit the pool.
  • JMPerlin
    JMPerlin Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I too am a martial artist on and off for 20 years and now back into it. I am training so I can continue in my sport and next year I am going to run the 2nd annual Ninja Challenge. Which is a 5k mud race.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    The zombie apocalypse.
    Or yknow, the goal of eventually running in a 5k or something with my dad.

I think the second is a bit more attainable.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    I want to look good and I am training to run 5 and 10k races later in the year.
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I originally decided to get fit to live longer, be more productive and become a good role model for my kiddos. Although I didn't mind shrinking to a smaller size - my main motivation was to become fit and healthier.

I am maintaining now but keep fit by training for a marathon and keeping up with running. My motivation now is to continue improving by running faster, running further, or differently - e.g., do challenging trail races. So far I am enjoying it! :drinker: I feel GREAT and FIT. It is nice to be able to say that.
  • chrissyrn04
    chrissyrn04 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I just completed training for a half marathon, July 1st I will start training for a full that is in Nov.

Im not trying to lose weight to "look good" but instead to be healthy, have energy and be a good role model for my kids.
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I'm training for a powerlifting event in mid-July.
  • liog
    liog Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I am training for the Princess Half Marathon at Disney World next February. Losing weight, getting fit, eating healthy and looking good are all kind of rolled up into that goal. I was at Disney World this past January so I have several pics of me in front of the castle (my before pictures). I so can't wait to have my picture taken in front of the castle again next February after working so hard and losing all of this weight and hopefully being in the best shape of my life.
  • hevhoyda
    hevhoyda Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    @ gchutson- the tough mudder is a 12 mile or so run with obstacles..it's supposed to be pretty intense hence the Tough mudder title...we are making a team so it should be fun
  • bratleen
    bratleen Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I am training for the zombie apocalypse, as well as a half marathon in October, possibly an obstacle/mud race during the summer..but mostly training for life. I did the PA Tough Mudder on 4/29 and the LI Half Marathon on 5/6...I wasn't as ready as I wanted to be for the tough mudder and am trying to build a better base fitness level. My teammates and I are planning on doing another tough mudder in 2013.
  • gchutson
    gchutson Posts: 657
    Options
    @ gchutson- the tough mudder is a 12 mile or so run with obstacles..it's supposed to be pretty intense hence the Tough mudder title...we are making a team so it should be fun

Go team! ... that's what I'll be shouting from the audience, just before I take a nap. ;)
  • sarahjay1
    sarahjay1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Warrior Dash in July! Woot!
  • gchutson
    Options
    I am training for the zombie apocalypse, as well as a half marathon in October, possibly an obstacle/mud race during the summer..but mostly training for life. I want to be fit and healthy.

Damn zombies.
  • chrisrollins1
    Options
    I have three major events to accomplish in the next 12 months...

2012 Tough Mudder in Kentucky

U.S. Army Air Assault School

U.S. Army Airborne School
  • Melonhead
    Melonhead Posts: 168
    Options
    I am training for my life. No male in my family has ever made it past 77 years. Sorry, it's not a MMA title fight, or a marathon (built like a fatter version of a tank) but that's why I'm doing it.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I am training for my life. No male in my family has ever made it past 77 years. Sorry, it's not a MMA title fight, or a marathon (built like a fatter version of a tank) but that's why I'm doing it.
    I hope you win this one!
  • marylynn85
    marylynn85 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Im doing the Color Run in October. Id like to be able to run the whole way, its a 5k.
  • gchutson
    Options
    I am training for the Princess Half Marathon at Disney World next February. Losing weight, getting fit, eating healthy and looking good are all kind of rolled up into that goal. I was at Disney World this past January so I have several pics of me in front of the castle (my before pictures). I so can't wait to have my picture taken in front of the castle again next February after working so hard and losing all of this weight and hopefully being in the best shape of my life.

That would make me run. Disney Princesses scare the hell out of me.
  • bikechic61
    bikechic61 Posts: 39
    Options
    The iceman cometh, a mountain bike race. I did it last year and I would like to improve my time. I finished, but was slow. I gained 5 pounds over Christmas that I seem to have a hard time losing, but it may be metabolic changes from natural life circumstances. I just don't want to have it be too hard on some of my joints to train for something that grueling at the weight that I am now.