Weigh yourself everyday

Options

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning =) It helps you understand how your weight fluctuates. Just don't panic when it goes up and down..

This! I weigh every night too
  • SONIA820
    SONIA820 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning...regardless of the number on the scale, it helps me remember what my goal is for the rest of the day! :) It's something I never did before when I was pigging out....If part of my "lifestyle change" means becoming aware of what goes on with my body then I would say those who do weigh every day are going to have an upper hand....

I take measurements as well and of course I check out how my clothes fit, but for people who have been overweight all their life to see new numbers, it's like a burst of awesomeness first thing in the morning OR a reminder to attack the goals with unending fury! Well...atleast that's what works for me....
  • EternalJourney
    Options
    Ive seen/heard many people who weighed daily and saw no change on the scale so they gave up. So I definitely disagree with the "study"..
    How many people? How did those numbers compare to those who weighed every day and were successful? And how did that compare to people who weighed less frequently? Oh, that's right... you have no idea.

Just because you have 5,000 posts of pure spam and crap does not mean your opinion is worth more than anyone elses on here :)
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    i also keep in mind that the body can shift considerably overnight, so I don't fret much. but i like to weigh myself every morning, just for kicks. i noticed that when i do this (as opposed to when i don't do it) i'm more likely to be conscious about what i put into my body.
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I weigh in twice a day. Morning first thing and before bed. I like seeing what effect my eating, fluids and exercise have on daily fluctuations. I agree with the others just dont freak out with the results and keep to the plan.
    Same here. It's interesting to see how my choices affect it. I only care about my weekly weigh-in, so I don't really mind if the numbers go up and down during the week. I'm well aware that a lot depends on exercise and bloating. I'm not one to give up, even the if the numbers go up a little. I know there are many, many factors, and I feel so much healthier - even during the weeks it doesn't move - that it would be stupid to give up.
  • keithgi
    keithgi Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I weight everyday as it helps me make minor adjustments in my diet so that I can keep trending downward.
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Also, if I'd been smart and bought a scale a couple years ago, maybe I could have prevented the last 50 pounds from piling on. It's easy to deny it and make excuses ("this store changed their clothing sizes", "the dryer is shrinking things"), but you can't argue with a scale when it keeps going up, up, up.

I plan to weigh myself at least every day or two, even after I hit my goal weight. I want to be accountable for every choice I make. I have to, or I'll end up here again, and I refuse to let that happen.
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I have been weighing myself every morning for the last 4 years lost 150 pounds previous 60 years not so much got to 367 pounds I think I will weigh myself every morning I have had weeks I didnt lose and havent quit yet
  • SquirrelFish
    Options
    I don't own a scale :S So I just weigh myself every time I go to the gym, which is usually everyday (or around 5 times a week I guess). I hate the scale though :P

I've also found that if I don't check my weight I try to lose until I feel comfortable. But then when I eventually see how much I weigh I start slacking off again because I think, ah, I've lost more than I expected, it's ok for me to relax a bit. NO! BAD!
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I weigh in twice a day. Morning first thing and before bed. I like seeing what effect my eating, fluids and exercise have on daily fluctuations. I agree with the others just dont freak out with the results and keep to the plan.

This is me! I find is fascinating to see how carbs, sodium, how much I drink, what I drink, exercise, etc. effect my weight. I feel like I know and understand my body better by weighing in the morning and at night. I look for overall downward trends.
  • fightingautism
    Options
    I weigh each morning. I can fluctuate as much as 5lbs/day. Realizing it has helped me be more ok with myself.

I wonder what type of scales you daily weighers use. I got a physician's scale a few yrs ago, best investment i ever made. I know it's extremely accurate.
  • jordyninja25
    jordyninja25 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I think every day is too much. Honestly it is so discouraging to see the scales move up and down, especially when you're going into this lifestyle change to lose numbers on the scale. What I've found with MFP is if you follow the calorie count religiously and exercise the weight comes off! I weigh myself 2-3 times a week, honestly, because I want to lose the weight and I like to check that I am being faithful with the calorie count. I know I'm cheating myself when the number goes up. Like other people have been saying it is so much more than the number on the scale, but it is still important. Like everything in life it's about balance lol
  • HeidiSmith419
    HeidiSmith419 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    It has been working for me. I do twice a day usuall AM/PM. That said during monthly bloating I weigh myself less often because the water weight irritates me. LOL I Just give it a couple days and try again. Usually it is a daily reminder that I'm doing WELL and that motivates *ME* to work even harder to eat better and workout more. I use it as a tool to see what works too so I'm gaining knowledge about how my body reacts to changes now, before I'm at a point of maintaining.
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Elle_Jamaicangirl81 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I don't know how true that is, but I weigh everyday...
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I tend to weigh myself everyday or every other day, but I only record once a week (usually Thursdays!).
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Elle_Jamaicangirl81 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I weigh each morning. I can fluctuate as much as 5lbs/day. Realizing it has helped me be more ok with myself.

Yes! I agree with this.
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning on two scales and it's amazing just to see day-to-day Isame time every morning) the differences. Some days the scales will be one lb apart; some days 2.5 lbs apart. One is the good old fashioned kind, the other a good digital....weighing myself every morning makes me more aware and accountable for myself.
  • obum88
    obum88 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    helps me realize when i am getting off track but i only take the weights i get sunday mornings as the one to record
  • chellebelle315
    Options
    I think the danger comes when you put "fact" in big capital letters and make a statement without citing the study from which you are drawing your information. It just invites people to argue with you. A cursory Google search produced a list of answers to this question that covers everything from only measuring inches to weighing monthly or weekly, to weighing every day, so in the context of "I just read something on the internet so it must be a fact" you're only inviting debate.

I just took my scale off the bathroom floor and put it in my closet because compulsively stepping on the scale every morning, sometimes multiple times a day was drawing my focus away from other important aspects of my life, and it was making me feel frustrated, which for me usually leads to buying a cupcake or a cheeseburger to "make myself feel better." In order to stop the sabotage I felt coming on, I took action. I don't think choosing not to look at the scale for a week or two will adversely affect my weight loss, and it might help me get through that awkward part of getting back to the gym where my body is readjusting to the new shocks and I'm not really losing lots of pounds yet.

All this being said if weighing every day motivates you, helps you, works for you, is improving your lifestyle and your outlook, then go for it.

My favorite thing I've read on MFP since returning this spring is this "I'll do me, and you do you." This doesn't mean we can't help, encourage, and share information, but it might mean a little less petty arguing about who is absolutely right-- especially when 99.9% of us aren't an expert in anything and are only sharing our opinions.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Definitely going to step on the scal every morning from now on haha

If thats what works for you, do it! But I cant say that people who only weigh themselves once a week are DOOOOOMED. :happy: