Big Girls in Bathing Suits

Options

Replies

• HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I was never fond of wearing a bathing suit because I always felt I looked huge, but there's no way I'm swimming in clothes! Once I get in the water I feel better.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    It's funny how I was more self-conscious when I was in my 20's and a size 4 than I am now at 44 in a size 12! I guess age makes the difference in confidence. I wear a tankini now.
  • HellsKells
    HellsKells Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I just did it yesterday. Add to that the fact that I have no tan whatsoever and I'm sure you can imagine the sight I must be. However, as a couple other people have said....no one cares! Really! And there are lots of cute bathing suit styles out there to help minimize, if you want to go that route.

For me, the sunshine and relaxation of going to the pool is more important than my own self consciousness. I just pretend that no one's looking, because chances are, that is exactly what's happening. They're too busy with their kids or themselves to notice me. And even if they do, the chances something bad would come of that attention are next to nothing.

Get out there and enjoy yourself! :smile:
  • Kaathmandu
    Kaathmandu Posts: 129
    Options
    I teach swimming and water aerobics - even when I wore a size 24. You think people judge? Check out the reactions when the instructor is overweight! (And the subsequent reaction when they can't keep up with me!) But I love the water, and am good at my jobs, so I do it. What I wear depends on what I'm doing. For water aerobics, I wore bike shorts, a sports bra and a 'rashie'. Now, still got the sports bra (gotta strap 'em up and in for jumping up and down) and a neck to knee sunsuit that has a small amount of cellulite-smoothing quality. For the beach, I wear a tankini and board shorts, or flattering swimsuit and a sarong. For laps, it has to be something sleeveless. I have thigh issues, so a tankini top and bike shorts for me. And, believe me, there are lots of shapes and sizes at the pool. Be one of them! :-)
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I too wear tankinis, but the tops got to be long enough that no belly hangs out, and since I'm tall it's a bit of a challenge to find! I was a 22 (3X) last year. This year I'll be wearing a size 16 (XL). I wear a sarong over my suit on the beach but take it off for swimming. That just leaves me feeling "exposed" for the walk from my spot on the beach to the water. I will probably always feel that way, even when I get to "skinny". LOL
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    please put on the suit and go out. i feel like if you don't you will be missing opportunities.

it will only help your weightloss to put it on.

go shopping and buy one that satisfies you, don't buy one that satisfies others.
  • mommy7
    mommy7 Posts: 153
    Options
    I'm a size 7 with a baby pooch and stretch marks. But you know what?? I feel that I look darn good for having had 7 kids and will wear that bikini regardless.
  • kristalfrissy
    kristalfrissy Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have noticed the people that notice are noticing flaws in EVERYONE! Most people don't care. I think you need to find some sort of happiness with yourself no matter what skin you are in! You are on a journey and the road is going to be long and bumpy, so take some pleasures for yourself along the way and find that peace and joy IN yourself FOR yourself...so wear it!!! I am a larger woman myself. I used to have a swim suit with a skirt. Now I wear a tankini top and a pair of women's swim shorts....I am super comfy and that is all that matters!

I think the above is very true. Most people are NOT looking for flaws in people and the people who are are the same ones saying that Kim kardashian is fat!! Crazy talk. I went to Hurricane Harbor this weekend and saw pretty much every shape and size in bathing suits and I didn't bat an eye! I always respect people who are confident enough with themselves enough to wear what they want. I saw 2 pieces, tankinis, bikinis, shorts and t shirts, and everything in between

ETA: The ONLY person who grabbed my attention in a negative way long enough to nudge my husband and say OMG was a man who was 100% covered in long black curly hair over his entire body and was wearing a royal blue speedo!! lol but whatever. his wife seemed to adore him.
  • BrightEyesx3
    BrightEyesx3 Posts: 335
    Options
    I am a size 12 and I have two bathing suits. I have a solid black one piece that I wear around family and a two piece when I'm around friends. I do get stares when I wear my bikini because people look at my tattoos but when I catch them staring I feel like they are calling me fat and etc. But even with that going through my head, I still hold my head up high and show that I'm pround of my body, and you should do the same. Be proud of who you are :smile: and hell if you really want to, flaunt a bit, won't hurt
  • nightsrainfall
    nightsrainfall Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I hate wearing them in public no matter what my size!!!

I second this. But I would say if you (and I) must or really want to - I would go shop around and find that suit that you love and feel comfortable in. Truthfully a lot of the styles don't flatter me or if they do, I don't like their colors, the fact it has ____, so that only adds to my insecurity. I had one suit that I loved once and I never had a problem with swimming. Sadly I no longer have that suit so... I too need to go shoping. I also want to get back into swimming.

Good luck to you!
  • GrammyWhammy
    GrammyWhammy Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I especially agree with Kaathmandu. Go swim or do water aerobics. Wear a cover-up that conceals all jiggly parts and drop it on a chair near the pool's stairs/ladders. Then slip into the pool. That's what I do! I have a fav suit that I wear with a bra (sports or otherwise), and has ample behind coverage--love the way it holds me in. To help get over the shyness of exposure, see if you can join a water aerobics class. I did that (average age was well over 50!). This group is the least critical--really. The fact that you're in the water and moving around gives you lots of credit for doing something positive for YOU! If all fails, take a friend or family member along. There's courage in numbers.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Mine isn't really about feeling embarrassed about myself. It's me thinking no one needs to see all this!
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I think it helps to have a good bathing suit. It's worth spending the money (in my opinion). I liked the idea of the ones that come in bra sizes, but it never worked for me because of having a small band size (the rest of the swimsuit seems to be made in proportion to the band size rather than the cup size). I bought my current one by accident when I wanted to go swimming on holiday and there was only one swimsuit in my size! It was one made by a company that makes professional swimwear, and I love it: good coverage and minimal jiggle!
  • livinfitanfun
    Options
    Just like what a lot of people are saying. Get one that YOU will feel comfortable in, believe it or not MOST people could care less. Most importantly you have to be happy with it, if you are walking around caring what other people think or what someone might say then your asking to get your feelings hurt. But not matter your size be happy with you and how you look!
  • Valera0466
    Valera0466 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I would hope you can get past it cause swimming is really good for you and fun too. I am a size 16 and love the water. When you are larger it is imperative that you get a good quality bra and you have to go to the higher end stores to get it. It is the same with a swim suit. A good quality suit will hold you in in all the right places. Get one with a little skirt it helps. In my experience people who go swimming are having to much fun to pay attention to anyone else. Also get a light cover up for when you are walking around. It will make you feel a little less uncomfortable.
  • bhug918
    bhug918 Posts: 23
    Options
    I see women my size wearing bikinis. I am so self conscious in a bathing suit and wonder how they are comfortable in a bikini. I just try to ignore what others may be thinking and try to enjoy the time with my son. Wish I could be more like the other women and not so insecure.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I meant to add, I'm not a big fan of swimming, but it can be a revelation if you're very overweight. You've build up the strength to carry all that extra weight around from day to day. Once you get in the water the weight is supported but you still have that strength! I was amazed to find when I went swimming around a time that I seemed to get breathless doing anything, I could easily swim a breadth underwater. I don't like actual swimming, but playing around in the water feels great! I like the feeling of not having to carry the weight or worry about my knees hurting, and just be able to do somersaults and acrobatics in the water.

Another thing if you're very overweight - and I'm serious - is that you seem to float better in the water. I can lie on my back in water now and almost go to sleep, as my face is held out of the water in a way that it wasn't when I was slimmer. It's very calming and relaxing.
  • torygirl79
    torygirl79 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I'm overweight and have a skin disease which is really noticeable in a swimming costume. Does this put me off swimming? Absolutely not! And I can swim a lot longer and further than most of the skinny girls at my gym who do 5-10 minutes max
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I wear a racing style suit (black with pink stripes) and wear a pair of spandex capri-pants with it. I'm not ashamed, and no one points and laughs. Most people don't pay any attention at all...just enjoy yourself.
  • witchywillow
    witchywillow Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    ive notice that some bigger woman tend to wear mens swimming shorts over there costumes, for more comfort :smile: