Does anyone pre-journal?

Options

Replies

• bratzchick
    bratzchick Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I plan mine the night before. The only meal I can't plan is the evening meal. I work FIFO and dinner depends what is served up in the mess that night. Breakfast, snacks and lunch always planned. I try to allow about 350 cals for dinner to cover me for what is available.
  • groovyfirechick
    Options
    that's a good idea....may try that....
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I prelog my snacks after I'm finished with dinner, so I dont have to worry ab what I have to eat to make my goal. The rest I log in my journal as I eat them. If I'm going out, I pre log everything because I will either cook it & take it with me or if we're goin to eat out, I already kno what I'm going to get because I look up the menu and the cals and decide before hand.
  • ajohn252
    ajohn252 Posts: 158
    Options
    Nope I do it for each and everyday :)
    Keeps me accountable and that way I don't
    make stupid food decisions on the fly.
  • Pink_Tina
    Pink_Tina Posts: 164
    Options
    I like to pre-journal for the day as soon as I wake up. My breakfast, lunch, and snacks are usually always the same so it doesn't take that long and really helps me to stay within my calorie goal. ;)
  • heykaraoke
    heykaraoke Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I try to log it all the night before, that way when I am going about my day I already know exactly what I'm going to eat. I find that having everything planned out a day ahead of time really helps me keep the snacking and "opportunity" eating to a minimum.
  • Teachinjen
    Teachinjen Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I pre-journal the night before.....My breakfasts are the same every single day, most of the time. I use it mostly to plan out what I pack for my lunch at work, and what I need left for whatever we are making for dinner.......It helps me stay on track, and not be deterred to get something out/fast food because I took the time to pack a healthy lunch.
  • stampinmama
    Options
    what a great idea... wish I could get organized enough to do that!
  • elanaknt
    elanaknt Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Even before starting logging here I have been planning meals one week in advance for a while now. I hit the local farmer's market on Saturday morning, get some ideas from whatever I buy there + what's in the fridge/freezer/pantry, then make a shopping list based on store sales/coupons/what I'll need for those meals. It really helps me eliminate the dreaded "What's for dinner?" and ensure I am eating well.

As far as pre-journaling, on work days I usually do it the night before with my breakfast, lunch and daytime snacks, since I pack my lunch everyday. For dinner, though I know what I am having, I like to cook and often don't follow a recipe or do the exact same thing twice, so I just wait until I am cooking, measure & weigh, jot it all down, then plug it in before I eat so that I can adjust quantities if needed.
  • JimmyfromNYC
    JimmyfromNYC Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I also pre-journal. I find it an excellent way to plan my day and check on calories and nutrients. I tweak my entries till I get the right mix of calories from protein, fat and carbs then try to stick as close to my plan as possible. It works for me.
  • jsukhan
    jsukhan Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I don't pre-journal but every sunday I cook something with five servings and that will be my lunch for the week. Most of the things I make for dinner have at least 4 portions. I eat the same thing for breakfast on week-days and my one daily sweet snack. So I usually know what I'm eating day to day. Can be repetitive but I like my cooking and don't mind leftovers.
  • Mrskatie
    Mrskatie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Totally! I journal my day the night before, especially if I have plans like dinner out. When I know I'll be going out for dinner, I try to plan for it by going on the restaurant's online menu to map out what I'll order and thenI can plan the earlier part of my day to accomodate for the calories I want to use up when I go out,
  • futiledevices
    futiledevices Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I usually plan my day the night before. Sometimes I don't end up feeling like having whatever I put in there, though, & end up changing it. I would never be able to do a week at a time - I'd forget what I even put in there and be constantly checking.
  • OMG_Twinkies
    OMG_Twinkies Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I pre-journal my meals on weekends because it gives me more structure, which I really need, especially since I'm just starting out and still trying to keep a hold on my self-control.
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    The only prejournalling I do is enter in my dinner while it's cooking. I play around with portion sizes until I get the calorie and macro balance I want before I dish up so I don't give myself too much.
  • melanie3103
    melanie3103 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I often plan the night before, but it's not set in stone, it's important to go with what you fancy and not eat for the sake of it, IE only eat when you're hungry (which I am getting better at!)...

I like to know that if I'm having something high in cals that I can plan for a low cal bfast and lunch to keep it all in check, or can plan where to fit in exercise.

Planning is the key.. but don't be too rigid.. you don't want to feel like you're on a "rigid diet plan" - that will mess with your head! If you fancy something else, you need to allow yourself (within reason!)... :)

Good luck x
  • theresamcd2
    theresamcd2 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I should... Great idea..
  • AmadaLynn
    AmadaLynn Posts: 116
    Options
    I pre-journal usually just the day of in the morning, but not always every day. I like to do it so I know how my snacks will play out.
  • michelec64
    michelec64 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    During the week I pre-journal breakfast and lunch since I pack them the night before. I find that helpful because then it gives me an idea of how many calories I have to work with for snacks and dinner. I'm less structured about it on the weekends, usually updating the journal as I go.
  • myke66
    myke66 Posts: 11
    Options
    Yes, I do this each morning for the day's food. It takes out the guesswork and the chance to over-eat when deciding.