diet cola

Options

Replies

• dianefambry
    dianefambry Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sugar is the #1 Enemy. Processed foods #2 Enemy. Diet soda keeps the liver (our fat burning tool) busy trying to get rid of the fake stuff (chemicals) that are used to make it taste good. Drink tons and tons of water and you won't get thirsty; you won't want to drink soda. Water only. It is the answer.
  • gogophers
    gogophers Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to lose weight, you should try to keep sodium intake to around 1100-1200 mg/day. If a can of soda has 35mg (I'm not sure of the exact number but it's around that) and you have four cans per day, that's 140 mg of sodium. Your ingesting over 10% of the sodium you should have for the entire day, and you are not getting any nutritional value from that sodium intake. There's not nearly that much sodium in drinking water. Drinking water has maybe 20% of that amount.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    Sugar is the #1 Enemy. Processed foods #2 Enemy. Diet soda keeps the liver (our fat burning tool) busy trying to get rid of the fake stuff (chemicals) that are used to make it taste good. Drink tons and tons of water and you won't get thirsty; you won't want to drink soda. Water only. It is the answer.

chemicals like dihydrogen monoxide?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Um, ok. Chemicals like Aspartame (aspartic acid + phenylalanine, two amino acids that are regularly ingested and processed at every meal,) sodium (has nothing to do with the liver,) Ace K (a potassium salt, also an essential mineral,) phosphoric acid (phosphorus also being an essential nutrient, )and dihydrogen monoxide (aka water?) There is nothing in a diet soda that you don't ingest, in far larger amounts, in regular foods on a daily basis. Plus the amounts in diet soda are so minuscule, that processing the ingredients are, for all intents and purposes, instantaneous.
  • gogophers
    Options
    There is nothing in a diet soda that you don't ingest, in far larger amounts, in regular foods on a daily basis.

This is simply incorrect. Although I agree with you about the dihydrogen monoxide (WTH?)
  • missymuffet459
    Options
    Bottom line for me is that I LOVE Diet Coke/ Pepsi . I was drinking 3-4 cans a day (with no water at all). I am now down to 1-2. I really don't plan on giving it up forever unless there is HARD scientific evidence that it is making me sick.

I have family members who think I am so naughty for drinking it, like it is a big sin or something. BLAH. To each their own :tongue: !!!
  • youcanhumpmyleg
    Options
    well looks like ive started a huge debate lol ! sorry. it doesn't cause me to have sugar cravings i use it as a substitute tbh so i dont have any sweets works well for me, and ive still lost 2 stone while drinking it every day ! only reason i wanted to stop drinking it so much was because i didnt know how healthy it actually was! but by looking at this post i dont think anyone knows to be fair ! will be cutting down though either way to see if anything changes weight wise.

ive been doing this for 2 years, and i go to the dentist every 6 months, hes only mentioned once that the enamel on my teeth are a bit worn away but he said it could also be from fruit too as i eat shed loads of that, he did say to cut out the fizzy pop but didnt give me a huge lecture about it when i told him how much i consume...
  • specialkyc
    specialkyc Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a lot of sweets and I used to be a Pepsi fiend. I have gotten myself down to 1 can of diet Pepsi per day, usually in the morning. It's covers my caffiene need and sweet tooth first thing in the morning and I'm usually good for the rest of the day. I am to the point now where I don't make it through the whole can before it gets flat and I end up throwing the rest away. Eventually I'll be completely off of it.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    There is nothing in a diet soda that you don't ingest, in far larger amounts, in regular foods on a daily basis.

This is simply incorrect. Although I agree with you about the dihydrogen monoxide (WTH?)
    Nice of you to have cut out all of the chemicals I listed. Would you care to explain how each one is unique to diet soda?
    Aspartame - aspartic acid and phenylalanine - both amino acids. Both found in all meat, fish, most nuts, grains, and legumes, in MUCH higher concentrations than in a diet soda. In fact, 4 oz of chicken breast contains about 4,500 mg of aspartic acid and phenylalanine. The average diet soda contains 180 mg. That's 25 times more "aspartame" in the chicken than in the soda. You can break down the other chemicals in the diet soda in similar ways.

Phosphorus in clams (1 oz) - 32 mg. Phosphorus in diet soda (1 oz) 3 mg That's 10 times more in clams, ounce for ounce.

Potassium in bananas (1oz) - 100mg. Potassium in diet soda (1 oz) 2mg. 50 times more in a banana, ounce for ounce.
  • doorki
    Options

This was a very informative post full of information supporting your arguments.
  • gogophers
    Options
    Nice of you to have cut out all of the chemicals I listed. Would you care to explain how each one is unique to diet soda?
    Aspartame - aspartic acid and phenylalanine - both amino acids. Both found in all meat, fish, most nuts, grains, and legumes, in MUCH higher concentrations than in a diet soda. In fact, 4 oz of chicken breast contains about 4,500 mg of aspartic acid and phenylalanine. The average diet soda contains 180 mg. That's 25 times more "aspartame" in the chicken than in the soda. You can break down the other chemicals in the diet soda in similar ways.

Phosphorus in clams (1 oz) - 32 mg. Phosphorus in diet soda (1 oz) 3 mg That's 10 times more in clams, ounce for ounce.

Potassium in bananas (1oz) - 100mg. Potassium in diet soda (1 oz) 2mg. 50 times more in a banana, ounce for ounce.

I'm not intentionally trying to strawman your argument, I'm just trying to keep the responses somewhat clean.

Since you mentioned Aspartame, lets start there. As far as I know, aspartame is not present at all in chicken, fish, or nuts. If I'm incorrect about that, then I will concede that to you. You seem to be assuming that just because Aspartame is made up of amino acids that are present in other foods it means that Aspartame is present in those foods. This isn't how chemistry works. The chemical bonds and positioning of molecules are highly important in determining the effects of a compound. I honestly don't have time to go into the details of why your argument is a fallacy and this forum wouldn't be the appropriate place for that anyway. If you're interested, you can start researching information about isomers.
  • gogophers
    Options
    only reason i wanted to stop drinking it so much was because i didnt know how healthy it actually was! but by looking at this post i dont think anyone knows to be fair !

It's not "healthy". What's unknown is the extent to which it's "unhealthy".
  • doorki
    Options

I'm not intentionally trying to strawman your argument, I'm just trying to keep the responses somewhat clean.

Since you mentioned Aspartame, lets start there. As far as I know, aspartame is not present at all in chicken, fish, or nuts. If I'm incorrect about that, then I will concede that to you. You seem to be assuming that just because Aspartame is made up of amino acids that are present in other foods it means that Aspartame is present in those foods. This isn't how chemistry works. The chemical bonds and positioning of molecules are highly important in determining the effects of a compound. I honestly don't have time to go into the details of why your argument is a fallacy and this forum wouldn't be the appropriate place for that anyway. If you're interested, you can start researching information about isomers.

When you get a chance, you should do some research into Betty Martini. That is the source of most of the sweetener conspiracy theories.
  • betteringmyselfeachday
    Options
    I was addicted to Coke and Mt. Dew. I have quiet in February of last year. I had a bad headache for awhile, then it went away. I had more energy then when I drank caffeine.

Start by everyday going down in how many cokes you drink. Say you have one coke, then you have to drink 2 bottles of water before you have another. Then in a couple weeks you have to have 3 before your next one, etc.

If you don't like the taste of water, add some water flavoring additive. I do the fruit punch and it is more refreshing!
  • PHATmommy68
    PHATmommy68 Posts: 112
    Options
    I LOVE diet soda... ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT and I drink alot every day. The worst thing I have come across with it is the water retention due to the high sodium count. Just drink more water and I balance myself out!

I don't drink alcohol and I don't smoke so I "want this one"!
  • psideon
    psideon Posts: 24
    Options
    Used to average 2 cans of Diet a day. Now I keep a pitcher of unsweetened ice tea in the fridge. Tastes better than water, still get the caffeine kick, better for hydration and keeps the s#!t in soda out of my diet, mostly. Might share a D.Coke with the wife if we're eating out or something but never have one to myself.

After 3 weeks, soda now tastes funny. Also, when having D.Coke with dinner, I would wake up at 3 or 4am with MASSIVE stomach pain. Since the switch, I only wake up to pee... ha!

Good luck.
  • gogophers
    Options
    When you get a chance, you should do some research into Betty Martini. That is the source of most of the sweetener conspiracy theories.

I'm a scientist. My research is based on scientific studies conducted and published in reputable journals.

Notice that at NO POINT have I said that Aspartame is definitely bad for you. I even specifically stated that scientists have not reached a consensus on Aspartame's health effects.

However, it is scientifically incorrect to say that Aspartame is present in some other substance because it's components are present in another substance. Do you agree with that?
  • starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I drink it occasionally but it always ends up bothering my stomach. Lately I've been using the crystal lite with truvia. Get through my water real fast with that!!
  • mrsjennifermaffei
    Options
    Today is the first day of me having only water as I don't want to drink my calories anymore. On cheat days I will allow myself either hot chocolate or diet cola but that's it....aside from maybe milk in my cereal.

Diet soda has no calories so no one can rag on you here about it. Does it help lose weight to cut it out? Probably not as its 0 calories anyway but it will probably help with your energy level and quite possibly bloat due to the carbonation.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I hate diet soda. If I have a soda its Mexican Coca-Cola with real sugar.