Replies

• Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    For fitness? No.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Nope. I wouldn't hire an obese nutritionist or dietitian either.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't think just because a trainer appears out of shape that they would lack knowledge. Check out Mark Rippetoe. Dude knows his stuff, but is not in the best shape.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Maybe. Are they in the process of improving their weight? Sometimes they can be more understanding than someone who has always been fit.
  • gchutson
    gchutson Posts: 657
    Options
    Yes. For entertainment purposes.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Just curious.

Nope. Even though I know that his/her level of knowledge on how to train ME isn't necessarily directly indicated by his/her weight...its still a chance I'd rather not take.

Honestly though, I wouldn't hire a trainer period.

Unless it was Niner lol.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    By obese do you mean chubby for their height (doesn't take much to be technically obese) or like 70 pounds overweight?
    I honestly don't think just because a trainer appears out of shape that they would lack knowledge. Check out Mark Rippetoe. Dude knows his stuff, but is not in the best shape.

This.
  • Surisaddai
    Surisaddai Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't. How can you show me how to work out hard if you can't do it? A trainer is also supposed to motivate you, and I do not think I would believe someone who was not in shape to get me in shape.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I wouldn't hire a trainer at all, but absolutely not an obese trainer. I just can't sit and listen to them try to push me to work hard if they won't even do it for themselves.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I think I would... I mean, my current trainer is not obese but he's bigger then what most people think a trainer should be.. .he's coming off a bulk though and trying to cut.. so I understand why he's like that.

What matters to me is:
    Do they know what they are talking about?
    Are we compatible? Cause if not, we will get no where.
    Do they listen to me and what I want to do? Or do they shove their own agenda on me?
    Can they do what exercises I do, without huffing and puffing?

I think those four things are more important then what someone looks like.
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    nope

but honestly I really don`t think I would ever hire a trainer regardless of there shape I just prefer to do my own thing and its working so why mess with it :)
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    No, I had a very overweight zumba instructor once and never went back to her class. I was a fair amount bigger at that point than now and I thought, no one bigger than ME should be instructing me on getting fit.
  • YassSpartan
    YassSpartan Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Not at all.

Today I discovered something though. The trainer of an MMA fighter, who actually was part of The Ultimate Fighter not long is an overweight guy :huh: they go to the gym I workout at.
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I work with a trainer. One day, he got food poisoning and another trainer took my session; he was being "shadowed' by a very fat guy who wanted to be a trainer. The next time I trained with my normal guy, I mentioned that I would be pissed if that guy was the trainer I started out with. He knew who I was talking about and agreed that he was (literally) in no shape to be a trainer.
  • mrmv
    mrmv Posts: 95
    Options
    My trainer was not in beat of shape when I started, retired marine. He is in shape now and really knows his stuff...I have never been injured in 3 years working with him. Gets really great results and have not done the same thing twice.. Always changing the routines...I dropped 80 with him, have restarted with him last week. Plus he is fun
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Sorry, no. Role models should practice what they preach.
  • BostonMatt
    BostonMatt Posts: 258
    Options
    Yes I would. Their own abilities are no indication of their own knowledge. Some of the best coaches in sports weren't the best athletes. It's more about what they know and what they can get out of me.
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Just curious.

nope. I'm bothered that the swim coach for the teen swim team at my gym is grossly overweight. He gets out of breath walking from one end of the pool to the other. I don't think he can be an effective coach when he is unable to talk to the swimmers except when they swim right up to him.

I wouldn't hire a trainer who was obese as they obviously are not capable of doing what they're trying to teach me to do. Not very inspirational.
  • Mcmilligen
    Mcmilligen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    That's a hard one. I mean, I am sure there are a lot of overweight nutrition and fitness experts out there we can all learn something from. But when it comes to first appearances, initially, I would not want to take their advice. But really, how do you know that they know what they are talking about if they can't even follow their own words of wisdom? As Tom Venuto has said in his books, "I am my best advertisement". I think anyone who expects to truely be successful in such a competitive industry, you need every edge you can get. And what better way to acheive that by physically illustrating your knowledge. Just my opinion.