Calling all Naturalistas and Long Hair Divas!!!

Options

Replies

• slcostel
    slcostel Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I've got super short hair at the moment, so short I can't even have a pony tail and it's usually in a mohawk, but I'm trying to grow it out. I've got wavy red hair, which is really quite beautiful (if I do say so myself), if I can ever keep from cutting it off! I miss having it down to my waist, so that's my goal for now. I haven't had a haircut since March, which is awesome for me!
  • stepharega
    stepharega Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Me!!!!! I take biotin pills and just started using dry shampoo bc it has been SOO dry from showeringg allllll the time! I just want it a couple more inches longer down to my boobs .... oh and wavy!!
  • 2FattyXFatty4
    2FattyXFatty4 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I'm a coily girl growing out my fro. :-)
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Mine is not as curly as bushidomama, but same length!
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I'm currently growing my hair out, but my hair is a straight as a board and I resemble cousin it if I don't at least blow dry it. I get mine trimmed fairly often though, but I have a lot of really fine hair, so if I don't get it trimmed I look awful. Its taken me about 2 1/2 years to get it from my chin to the length in my picture, but I also wanted to make sure I grew my hair out really healthy and I had a time period in there where I put a lot of stress and damage on it, so I cut it off. I would to do no shampoo, but my head is a grease pit and I don't think I could go very long without it starting to look awful, I do go about every 3 days without shampooing though currently
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Curly haired gal here.. and trying to grow it out.

I bleach my hair with highlights, and was blow drying/flat ironing it for a good chunk of winter months... but now that it's summer, I tend to let it go more natural.
  • DyanCB
    DyanCB Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I, too, stopped relaxing my hair about 3-4 years ago. I tried a few things to manage the hair as I got used to my natural texture. I now love my texture and have no intention of EVER going back to treating my hair so harshly. As for cleansing I started using Wen this past March - and it works well for me.

i think you are right. Becoming more healthful overall has reinforced my decision about my hair.

I am looking forward to others who will be attracted to this thread.
  • foodietrudie
    Options
    I decided to go natural at the start of this year so its been 6 months since ive had a relaxer. I love the texture of my hair and i've been experimenting with new styles, any ideas!?

Im going to a natural hair expo this weekend and I'll share anything I learn:happy:
  • cspong
    cspong Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Mine is well below my shoulder blades, and I've been playing around wuth naturral shampoos. I've never really been one for product, lol.
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I definitely take care of my skin and hair just as much, if not more than I did before. It's all about promoting self confidence, and for me taking care of myself helps that.
  • Cinnamonie
    Cinnamonie Posts: 138
    Options
    I'm one! Just got rid of all my silicone/sulfates a couple weeks ago as a matter of fact. Still learning how to deal with it as I used to flatiron EVERY DAY! Looking for some good second day hair tips too, if ya got them.
  • KiwiKim25
    KiwiKim25 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    When I was 20 my hair was mid-back. Then I chopped it all to 1 inch long all over. SO fun!! ..for about 2 months. Then I wanted it LONG. The short hair made my face rounder and make me 5 years younger. Great if I had been older. Took me 2 years of butt-ugly 'growing my hair out' stage to make it touch my shoulders.

Now it's an inch below my armpits.

My hair has some natural wave, but isn't curly. I love John Frieda products for the gross to pretty effect. I also love In-Kind and Organix (brown bottle) for the same effect to a smaller degree but way amazing smell.
  • Curvimami
    Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I'm currently growing my hair out, but my hair is a straight as a board and I resemble cousin it if I don't at least blow dry it. I get mine trimmed fairly often though, but I have a lot of really fine hair, so if I don't get it trimmed I look awful. Its taken me about 2 1/2 years to get it from my chin to the length in my picture, but I also wanted to make sure I grew my hair out really healthy and I had a time period in there where I put a lot of stress and damage on it, so I cut it off. I would to do no shampoo, but my head is a grease pit and I don't think I could go very long without it starting to look awful, I do go about every 3 days without shampooing though currently

Alot of ppl think shampooing is necessary when it comes to oily hair but conditioner also has a cleansing agent in it as well. But if you absolutely must use 'Poo try Low poo. to keep from stripping your beautiful strands of its natural oils :-)
  • dme1977
    dme1977 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    last summer I cut off 18 inches for the 5th remembrance of my brothers passing.
    I have only used the generic form of the WEN (bought from Sally beauty supply ) on it for a year..
    Im happy to say it has gone from about an inch and 1/2 long ( I really chopped it) to past my shoulders.
  • Curvimami
    Options
    I'm one! Just got rid of all my silicone/sulfates a couple weeks ago as a matter of fact. Still learning how to deal with it as I used to flatiron EVERY DAY! Looking for some good second day hair tips too, if ya got them.

I learned a technique called the pineapple to preserve my curls at night. Just put all your hair in a loose pony on the very top of your head (almost to your forehead) and wrap side with scarf. In the morning take down, shake and viola! lol. 2nd day hair
  • Dickersondiva
    Dickersondiva Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm a natural!!! And loving it! No relaxers since February 2010....
  • Curvimami
    Options
    last summer I cut off 18 inches for the 5th remembrance of my brothers passing.
    I have only used the generic form of the WEN (bought from Sally beauty supply ) on it for a year..
    Im happy to say it has gone from about an inch and 1/2 long ( I really chopped it) to past my shoulders.

Ive tried the sally"s brand of WEN it worked fine, I think I was just addicted to the WEN infomercials.lol. And only use WEN if I get it as a gift
  • Cinnamonie
    Cinnamonie Posts: 138
    Options
    Thanks~I'll try this tonight. My hair grows super fast-I donated it about 2 years ago and am growing it out to do again. It's very thick so the curls are kind of hard to manage. I will try this pineapple scarf idea, though :)
  • blacksheepwhitecrow
    Options
    Classic length here! No dye, unnatural shampoos, or heat for 10 years. Last year it was almost to my knees and I'm determined to get it to mid calf in the next few years. Straight as a pin, though! Wish I had curly hair but it would probably be way too heavy to wear this long.

I think my diet change may be as much for hair health as it is for weight loss!
  • plusdivanva
    plusdivanva Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm 10 years natural with locs for 9 years! I am 17lbs away from my first goal of 50 lbs and plan on cutting my dreads at that time, still going to be a natural girl. I have already started purchasing my products and doing my research :) I'm def going to be a co-wash girl!

17480856.png