Help with dry, frizzy, curly hair?

Options
13»

Replies

• Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Lorraine Massey has a book you should REALLY check out. It is for Curly Girls. Try sulfate free shampoos when you HAVE to shampoo (this is called "low-poo) and conditioner as shampoo when you can get by (called cowash).

Check out www.natutrallycurly.com. AWESOME and informative site.
  • SilkyHotspur
    SilkyHotspur Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'm quite surprised, for all the advice on conditioners, shampoos, and treatments...no one has mentioned an age old solution.

Go to Sally's or another beauty supply store. You will find a tub of "Cholesterol" for around $3, wash your hair, towel dry....lather up a good amount in the hair. Let it sit and wash out. A couple times a week will work nicely. The key is keeping the moisture in the hair. So while you may not want Cholesterol in your arteries, you want it in your hair...
  • AndiJoy812
    AndiJoy812 Posts: 236
    Options
    I'm quite surprised, for all the advice on conditioners, shampoos, and treatments...no one has mentioned an age old solution.

Go to Sally's or another beauty supply store. You will find a tub of "Cholesterol" for around $3, wash your hair, towel dry....lather up a good amount in the hair. Let it sit and wash out. A couple times a week will work nicely. The key is keeping the moisture in the hair. So while you may not want Cholesterol in your arteries, you want it in your hair...

I would be willing to try that, if you were doing the treatment. :blushing:
  • pamfm
    pamfm Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Agreeing with everyone else: only shampoo your hair once or twice a week. And only ever brush it while it's wet.

I use Nature's Gate organic herbal shampoo and conditioner, and on really humid days I also use the Garnier Fructis "Sleek & Shine" leave-in conditioner. But honestly, truly, in emergency situations (travel) I've gotten good results using Nivea hand lotion in place of leave-in conditioner!

I also make my own pomade out of 3 parts olive oil to 2 parts beeswax, and a few drops of essential oil. Put just a tiny dab on the fingertips, and then starting at the ends, not the roots, "comb" your hair with your fingers until it's evenly worked through.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I have curly hair that I bleach blond with high lights.. and currently, my hair is in the best shape of it's life.

Switch to Sulfate Free Shampoo/Conditioner(I use Colorese Moisture Shampoo/Conditioner at Sallys Beauty Supply.. and it's the equivalent to pureology.) I really like it, and find that my hair/color, react really well to it.

You may also want to have a stylist slice some layers into it.. it will help the curls separate and help with the frizziness.
  • Dayquasar
    Dayquasar Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I just started using Organic Shea Moisture shampoo and conditioner, the shampoo really cleans and the conditioner really conditions and you can use it as a leave in ( http://www.sheamoisture.com/ ), I get mine at Target. The hardest part is you can tell what part of your hair has been dyed, it's more dry and coarse feeling after the shampoo, but once you add the conditioner it's really silky. My advise is to stop coloring and try to get that all cut off, after I wash my hair I put in coconut oil and that calms it quite a bit, just don't put a lot near your scalp. If you braid it and then take it out later it looks nice. I'm trying not to flat iron anymore, I have thick half wavy hair. Oh yeah and I wash my hair 3-4x a week.
  • nicoleeliza4
    Options
    There's tons of great products out there but I can't afford the good ones being a student, newly moved out and starting a new job so here's my low cost routine.
    Aussie Moist shampoo and conditioner, only wash my hair every second day though, throw on a shower cap the other days. Then when it's still wet, but not dripping wet, I take Garniers sleek and shine anti-frizz serum ($3 at walmart), run a pump or two through my hair, it adds shine but by doing it when it's wet your hair won't look all greasy after. I try to avoid blow dryers, let it dry on its own but I have to straighten mine, I hate the curls. If you're heat styling it I spray aussie heat protector all over 5 minutes before styling. If I leave it curly I use Aussie mousse/leave in conditioner to scrunch the curls.
    I love Aussie if you can't tell...
  • Bunnybeesweet
    Bunnybeesweet Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Devacurl products are the best! And Get the Curly Girl handbook! It not only transformed my hair...it radically changed my life to take care of my hair and celebrate my curls.

I use no-poo once a week, one condition daily, and an-gel for styling. Note: both profile pics that show my hair are of slept-on or post wwork-out hair!
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Everyone's hair is different. I recommend checking out www.naturallycurly.com. They have a GREAT forum that really helped me years ago. To start out with, It's best NOT too use products with sulfates or silicones. Years ago, I used Frizz-ease and all those siliconey products, and they are horrible for your hair in the long run. Check out the book Curly Girl about going CG. There's a lot of info on naturallycurly too about choosing the best products for your hair type. I have type 2C or 3A hair and find using DevaCurl (especially OneCondition), KinkyCurly products (KnotToday+CurlyCustard) or shampoo bars with an Apple Cider vinegar rinse, and homemade flax seed/aloe gel work great for me most of the time, but it depends on the season- I switch it up. I also use Henna and Indigo to dye my hair and it makes it healthier. Good luck! :)

also, the Curl-Ease towel is a must-have!! :)

I was going to suggest Naturally Curly too! Also the Long Hair Forum. And I absolutely agree with you re. the John Frieda stuff - I found it didn't work for me at all, plus made my hair feel awful.

I tried the CG method but it exacerbated the psoriasis on my scalp, so I had to go back to using the shampoo my GP prescribed. However, it only ever goes on my scalp, and I use the CG method for the rest of my hair. Like others have said, only comb your hair when it has conditioner on it (use a wide-toothed comb). And don't brush it!

I also don't completely rinse out the conditioner; leaving a little in adds weight to my hair, and because I live in Thailand, it affords my hair some protection in the sun too. I'm currently using Tresemmé conditioner - it's not easy to get products for curly hair here - it works well, and is very reasonably-priced.

I sometimes make hair masques using castor oil, coconut oil, and aloe vera - it's best to use fresh aloe from a plant but if you can't, then you can buy the gel from the chemist - just make sure it's the pure stuff. Also, if you can get it, food-grade shea butter (the creamy brown stuff, not the white cosmetic grade which has had all the goodness removed) - just melt some between your palms and work into your hair. Wrap in a warm turban for 20 mins or so, then cleanse your hair as normal.

When not using psoriasis shampoo, I use African black soap (crumble a little into some hot water, mix to dissolve, let cool, then use on the scalp). In fact, ABS is a good all-rounder - I even use it on my face!

One of the most important things I do is to use a microfibre turban but you can also use m/fibre towels or an old tee shirt - but never a terry towel... they are really not good for curly hair, and contribute alarmingly to the frizzies! Here's a great video from Jessicurl about 'plunking' - THE best way to keep curls, IMO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2qD38ZYX6A

Since my hair grows really quickly, I trim it every few weeks (I never go to the hairdresser!), and I never colour it. In the past I've tried various mousses etc. and I've never found any which work - they all make my hair crispy (even if I only use a little). I found TIGI was the worst culprit, and it really dried my hair out too. Has a lovely blackcurrant smell though! :smile: Now all I use is a little Vitapointe, which works really well to keep the curls from going frizzy, plus it conditions my hair too!

I agree with the comment about diet - a healthy diet is essential for lovely hair! When I lived in Europe, I ate plenty of fresh veggies and salad but not so much fruit when I was in the UK, mostly because it's very expensive and largely lacking in flavour. Here in Thailand however, I eat more fruit than veg; it's stupidly cheap (around 50c for a large bunch of bananas, or three large mangoes, or a large pineapple), and much of it can just be picked from the tree (I have mangoes, bananas, longans, pomegranates, rose apples all growing within two minutes' walk of my apartment!). Since upping my fruit quota, I have noticed the difference in my hair (and nails & skin), so definitely eat fruit and veg. A lot! :bigsmile:
    I have super thick, and very curly hair, and have had my hair ruined by stylists who have no idea what they are doing when it comes to curly hair.

Same here; really thick hair + clueless hairdressers = pyramid hair!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Aussie 3 minute miracle every other hair wash. I use a sulfate free shampoo every other day and just a dab of the sulfate free conditioner every day except the days I use the Aussie. I also use It's A 10 Miracle leave in spray every day, worked through with my fingers before I comb it wet.
  • BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I will recommend you Miracle 10 Leave In conditioner and Coconut oil (organic, cold pressed).
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    First if you are coloring lighter then you are stripping your hair and leaving it in bad shape. Adding oils can help coconut, jojoba, carmella, argan, olive oil, castor oil etc all of these can be added to hair. They are different with different viscosity and heaviness. So for instance castor and coconut are far heavier than argan and camellia. The second thing I suggest is not to wash your hair everyday. So stretch your washes and when you do wash try conditioning your hair first (not your scalp just your hair) then wash your scalp and 1st inch or so of hair only, then conditioner again. Use a leave in conditioner and drink a lot of water.

ETA my hair is naturally curly with frizzy tendencies so I understand this type of hair. My hair is also Pretty tame now and long--its down to my butt simply from caring for it so well (no heat styling or stripping with bleach)
  • mtaylor007
    Options
    I use a great product that can help you, it's Pro Naturals Moroccan Argan Oil which protects the hair from any damage, makes it stronger and keeps it soft, shiny, frizz less and healthy. I luv it !! If you are interested you can check it out at safrons. com .
    Good luck. ! :D