Calling all Naturalistas and Long Hair Divas!!!

Options

Replies

• Curvimami
    Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Does it count that my hair naturally makes the walls jealous in it's flatness? :laugh:
    It's down to the bottom of my shoulder blades again and hopefully will be back to tushy length by the end of the year. :drinker:

Another lady for Tailbone length, alright!!
  • emirror
    emirror Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I would love to grow my hair out but sadly, I've noticed my hair falling out like crazy lately and I'm not sure why. It's not over processed or damaged so I'm kind of scared it may be a health issue. Any tips how I can change my diet to help?

Have there been any other changes lately? I had a major shed post-partum with my first baby. I also started losing a lot of hair when I tried conditioner-only washing. As a matter of fact, I shed a LOT if I put conditioner directly on my scalp.

Sorry I'm not much help for diet or supplements for hair loss, though... maybe someone else here knows?

Also, there is a long hair community forum that has a TON of info about natural hair, long hair, growing hair out, etc. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I've been growing mine out. It's about mid-back right now and I don't plan on chopping it off any time soon.
  • Curvimami
    Options
    I would love to grow my hair out but sadly, I've noticed my hair falling out like crazy lately and I'm not sure why. It's not over processed or damaged so I'm kind of scared it may be a health issue. Any tips how I can change my diet to help?

stress could be the issue. I dont know of any diet reasons it would be falling out unless you arent getting balanced nutrients. A hair and/or multivitamin may help with that. There are alot of Ayurvedic remedies that ppl swear by to reduce hair fallout. you should look into it. Just google "reduce hair fall" or "shedding"
  • BandForAlyAnne
    BandForAlyAnne Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    i'm a dreadhead. started last july. wash with completely natural/organic/vegan shampoo made for dreadlocks. don't do anything else to it. my hair is texture is med to fine with a loose spiral curl/wave. when its short i have curls. when long just a slight wave. its been an amazing natural experience so far. just being able to wake up and do nothing to my hair is amazing. i hope to keep my dreads for a couple years at least, but i will probably cut them at around 5 years. unless i decide to go all out hippy. lol. jk.
  • Curvimami
    Options
    i'm a dreadhead. started last july. wash with completely natural/organic/vegan shampoo made for dreadlocks. don't do anything else to it. my hair is texture is med to fine with a loose spiral curl/wave. when its short i have curls. when long just a slight wave. its been an amazing natural experience so far. just being able to wake up and do nothing to my hair is amazing. i hope to keep my dreads for a couple years at least, but i will probably cut them at around 5 years. unless i decide to go all out hippy. lol. jk.

just started and already planning to cut them off. grow baby grow. lol
  • Jezebel9
    Jezebel9 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I cut my dreads a few months back... they were so long and so heavy when I washed them. ~sigh~ I will have them again, ohhh yes my wild locks are waiting for me on the other side of my gw.
    8)
  • surromom2010
    surromom2010 Posts: 457 Member
    Options

Have there been any other changes lately? I had a major shed post-partum with my first baby. I also started losing a lot of hair when I tried conditioner-only washing. As a matter of fact, I shed a LOT if I put conditioner directly on my scalp.

Sorry I'm not much help for diet or supplements for hair loss, though... maybe someone else here knows?

Also, there is a long hair community forum that has a TON of info about natural hair, long hair, growing hair out, etc. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com

Well I had a miscarriage in the middle of last month, I know I had lost some after my son was born as well but at the point of miscarriage my hair had already been shedding more than normal, and now within the past couple weeks it has gotten worse. Might need to find me a pretty wig :frown:
  • PWalker1913
    Options
    hi! I just joined and I think it would be great to start a group like that. I have been natural for 9 months and I LOVE it. My hair looks healthy and feels great. Now to get my body going in the right direction!
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely not a naturalista by definition as I get trims done on my hair every 8 weeks and get a partial hightlight on the top of my head. I do however do not hair dry my hair and am interested in getting some good vegan all natural shampoo/conditioner.

Let me know if anyone has any good suggestions.
  • popat89
    popat89 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I got a perm last summer to give my hair some type of texture... I wish I could take it back because breakage increased for sure. But I have think hair that is a little longer than waist length :)
  • Milette812
    Milette812 Posts: 32
    Options
    I just cut 6 inches off my hair not too long ago to get it above my butt. I intake a lot of calcium and i think it has an effect on my hair. I buy my conditioner in bulk because anything else is expensive. I try to stick with Pantene or sulfate free stuff. Hot oil treatments are good too.
  • BandForAlyAnne
    BandForAlyAnne Posts: 321 Member
    Options

just started and already planning to cut them off. grow baby grow. lol

i just want it to be a journey, but i dont want to become obsessed with my hair as many dreadheads do. thats why i have a sort of limit. also its sort of a social and personal experiment.
  • LadyBeryl
    LadyBeryl Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I'm a nappy. :bigsmile:

My locs are just below my waist. I've been chemical free since 1996.

Well, I did color 10-15 of my 400 locs in 2007. :blushing:
  • Curvimami
    Options
    I'm definitely not a naturalista by definition as I get trims done on my hair every 8 weeks and get a partial hightlight on the top of my head. I do however do not hair dry my hair and am interested in getting some good vegan all natural shampoo/conditioner.

Let me know if anyone has any good suggestions.

someone earlier stated they are using trader Joes. which is supposed be mostly all natural and great for your hair
  • Curvimami
    Options

Well I had a miscarriage in the middle of last month, I know I had lost some after my son was born as well but at the point of miscarriage my hair had already been shedding more than normal, and now within the past couple weeks it has gotten worse. Might need to find me a pretty wig :frown:

Im so sorry for your loss. I hope you and your family are managing alright with that happening so recently...That may have alot to do with your shedding along with the stress of the traumatic experience. It should subside in a month or so. My prayers go out to you and your family ;-)
  • Curvimami
    Options
    I got a perm last summer to give my hair some type of texture... I wish I could take it back because breakage increased for sure. But I have think hair that is a little longer than waist length :)

Thats okay, we all have set backs. just nurse your hair back to health slowly. Conditioning and little trims every now and then will helpl keep your hair moisturized until all the damage has grown out. It will be fine hun
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I've been growing mine for the past 3 years, starting from a bob with an undercut, lol! I just trimmed the bottom inch off for the first time since I started growing it. It is far from natural though... as may be obvious from the purple in the profile pic, lol.

For years I kept it shorter than shoulder length and didn't even use shampoo. o_O (i was hardcore into sustainability at the time and I am really allergic to most soaps, though my current shampoo is fine)
  • Mommy2Avaj
    Mommy2Avaj Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I've been growing my hair out for years. It's down to my butt now. I can almost sit on it.
  • Curvimami
    Options
    I've been growing mine for the past 3 years, starting from a bob with an undercut, lol! I just trimmed the bottom inch off for the first time since I started growing it. It is far from natural though... as may be obvious from the purple in the profile pic, lol.

For years I kept it shorter than shoulder length and didn't even use shampoo. o_O (i was hardcore into sustainability at the time and I am really allergic to most soaps, though my current shampoo is fine)

You sound natural to me. :smile: Like I said before there are so many variations to the natural hair community. And many Naturals color they just no longer use perms or relaxers