Black Coffee?

Options

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I admit that I always have a splash of milk in my coffee (from a drip at work) to take the edge off the bitterness.

But black coffee from a french press is totally palatable.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I usually drink mine black with a few drops of peppermint essential oil (health food store, youngliving.com). It's fabulously delicious.

This is a great idea... I'm going to try it!!
  • katharos3
    katharos3 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Black coffee gives me heartburn for some reason. I used to use flavored creamers, but when I discovered MFP I decided to transition to a cleaner diet, starting with the foods I consumed the most. And coffee creamer was the first to go! I tried different types of milk, and I switched to honey for a sweetener. Eventually I settled on 2% cow's milk, and I gave up the honey a few months ago. Sometimes I will add a little for a sweet treat if I'm having an extra cup in the afternoon, but most days it's just milk & coffee. And now flavored creamers taste pretty gross to me. :bigsmile:
  • BakerRunnerBadass
    BakerRunnerBadass Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I started at 2 milk and 2 sugar, eventually worked down to 1 milk and with a group in my office we all made the last just to black, and surprising was not bad at all, now can't stand anything in it.
  • hulietta
    hulietta Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I started with french vanilla creamer, then went to half/half with no sugar. Now, I'm drinking it with just some skim milk. I don't even like the french vanilla anymore -- too sweet. If I were you, I'd try a gradual approach like this. Good luck!
  • fatfrost
    fatfrost Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Once you go black ;)

Sorry, couldn't help myself.
  • fenrirGrey
    fenrirGrey Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I think this thread has motivated me to go cold turkey too. Starting now :)
  • Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I myself love the taste of Black Coffee. I guess it is just taste really. The only thing I can suggest is, like posts before me, get get quality.
  • cls_333
    cls_333 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    It's all I drink, and when I try sweetened, or anything like cappacino, I cannot drink it. You definitely get used to drinking it black. I love the Folgers Vanilla coffee. Coffee really is wonderful all by itself.
    I kinda think it's like soda, once you start drinking just water, soda is hard to drink anymore, it tastes soooo sweet.
  • suefrasson
    Options
    Does caffeine really effect weight loss?
    I drink two large a day with 2 milk and 1 sweetner...I really cant give up my coffee..
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    (didn't read all posts before me, so sorry if redundant)

1) Black coffee, no sugar, no cream, that's the type of girl I need down on my team (R&B reference)
    2) Don't grind whole beans... mill them! Get a burr mill. Much better than a grinder/pulverizer.
    3) French press ( I think that has been covered already)
    4) Mix in a tablespoon of coconut oil instead of sugar or cream.

And there you have your morning superfood/drink.

edit: anyone using f-ing skim milk in their coffee is no friend of mine. if ur gonna go dairy, use some organic heavy cream and quit being a sissy.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    So I find bad coffee tastes better black. This is why I switched to black when I was working at a place that had one of those speed water shooting brew coffee pots :P

Since then I've been more concerned with nutrition then calories. I'm adding milk again because 1. I'm drinking good coffee and 2. I hardly get protein as is.
  • Kmwienke
    Kmwienke Posts: 8
    Options
    Black coffee is interesting- you just have to try a little bit of everything until you find what you like. A medium roast is usually a good starter- and usually something of a little higher than, say, Folgers. My coffee-snob boyfriend and his parents drink Gevalia. It's a little cheaper than Starbucks and it's pretty good. I actually wouldn't start with flavored coffee. 1) Because then you have a certain expectation of what it's going to taste like (and it never does so you're disappointed) and 2) Because you get all the bitterness of coffee mixed with this strange almost chemical tasting flavoring all with a horrible aftertaste. But take that with a grain of salt: I have hated every flavored coffee I've ever tried so I'm horribly biased. ;)

Summary version: Pick something simple and drink till you like it. And unless it's meant to be iced, don't let it get cold!
  • marcf2001
    marcf2001 Posts: 110
    Options
    I am always getting my coffee black.

Drip machine coffee in the morning, but I drink a lot of it (1/3 liter, ~ 2 cups) and expresso the rest of the day. With an expresso machine, but being French, this is not too odd...

I used to put sugar in my coffee, but my doctor asked me to refrain a long while ago (I was drinking 10 more expresso per day).
    Now I use a sweetener. not aspartam, I don;t like the taste, but saccharine. I have good and bad on sacharrine, but I have been doing it for over 10 years now.
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Black coffee is not bad for you at all because it doesn't have all of that artificial flavoring (sugar and creamer)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    spark is the best energy drink ever!! no sugar, no crash... 10x the energy as red bull, 5 hour energy, or coffee with no crash :)
    But then you lose all the health benefits of coffee. Loads of antioxidants, helps prevent cancer, dementia, alzheimer's, diabetes, stroke, hypertension, heart disease...

Best way to get used to black coffee? Drink it HOT. Coffee has a bitter aftertaste that is much stronger when it's cold. Good quality coffee, brew it fresh, don't burn it, MAKE IT STRONG (brewing weak coffee means more bitterness, as the water extracts more bitterness out of a smaller amount of grounds, strong coffee means more grounds for the water to brew = less bitter. Yes it's counter-intuitive, yes it's true.)

Also, experiment with different roasts, different levels of roasting have different flavors. Personally I like light and dark roasts, but not medium roasts.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Get a French press, grind it more on the coarse side... get a good coffee. Drink it hot.
  • HannahDiaz25
    HannahDiaz25 Posts: 104
    Options
    Buy the flaovered coffee grounds...they taste really good even without sugar. I like black coffee, but generally put a few tablespoons of milk in mine... a few drops of twp percent milk probably isnt gonna hurt my diet.
  • EnuffaMyButt
    EnuffaMyButt Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm considering learning to like black coffee. Any thoughts/tips/advice?

Any of you converted? :)

It's the only way I drink it!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    eh! are none of you caring about getting discoloured teeth? seriously a small amount of skimmed milk isn't going to make that much a difference... have it the way you prefer it is what I say :)