WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2012

Options

Replies

• westernjoy
    westernjoy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    just a quick post. I made those chocolate bran muffins. They are soooooo good and moist.
    I got 24 instead of 30. Would make 48 of the minis
    For 133 calories
    heat heat oven 350
    spray tins really well
    listed under
    JB chocolate bran muffin

1 box Betty Crocker low-fat brownie
    3 cups all bran original
    2 1/2 water
    1 1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 c. Walnuts.
    mix water and bran let sit for 5 minutes mix
    Add baking powder ,mix then walnuts.
    I baked until set 20 to 25 minutes

could add chocolate chips or white chocolate. But need to change calorie count
    Enjoy
    Joyce
  • katiejarr
    katiejarr Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Here's to a totally tantalizing terrificly titilating Tuesday.

Robin, Bodi Boy and the infamous Rit Bit.

You crack me up!
  • mynyddisamrs
    mynyddisamrs Posts: 387
    Options
    :flowerforyou: A quick nip in here tonight. ....

:flowerforyou: ....Happy Birthday (before I forget ) for tomorrow to Amanda. Hope you have a great day!!!

I've just stopped the DIY. DH is at work tonight so it's only me covered in paint tonight!!
    I was out today and came home to find DH had aged a lot!!:laugh: His hair ...what little he has and eyebrows were white!
    Sanding down the filler he so heavily handed used yesterday was the order of the day for him.

:noway: Did he wear a mask? ...... No!,That's why he looked as if he had been "Sniffing" up something he shouldn't!! and as if he'd seen a ghost!

:noway: Did he keep all the doors closed? ......No!, That's why everything in the house is covered in dust!

:laugh: Did I moan? ....not at all !! ...if you believe that you'll believe anything!!

And .....Shhh! no sign of ants!!! The ones stuck in the filler are now wearing a white gloss coat!!

And ...it hasn't rained so we can't tell if there are any drips! Only drips are in the paintwork!!

:laugh: Highlight of someone's evening was the sight of me in my painting gear! .....the poor man who delivered our box of wine made a hasty retreat!

Anyway ..tomorrows another day. Middle of the week folks!!

:drinker: BFN
    Jackie
  • sunsportsmom
    sunsportsmom Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I new to MFP ( since last Thursday). I've enjoyed reading through your posts. It's very encouraging. Although June is half-way through, my goal is to return to walking/ running 3-5x a week. I'd like to do a 5K in July. Earlier in the year when training for a 10K I developed hip pain. My primary care couldn't find anything wrong but every time I start up again it kills me. Any advice is welcome.
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good evening ladies, this is getting to be a habit with me BUT just another quick one tonight:huh: I got some really good news today at work.:wink: Time for our yearly review and my new boss ( I work in a nursing home and the administrator I had been working with for the last 3 years left about 3 months ago) called me into his office and read my review (much to my delight my review was so good I was a little embarrassed:blushing: ) I not only got a huge raise I am now a salaried employee!:smile: All my hard work has finally paid off :bigsmile: Going to do my Leslie Sansone , watch the Glee Project and go to bed. :yawn: Everyone have a great evening, Rose :heart: Love ((((Hugs)))) and prayers :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Oh, Rose...What FANTASTIC news:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: GOOD for you and I am so happy you got the recognition that you deserve...(AND the paycheck!) Thank you for sharing your happy news:drinker:

Robin: YES, you crack me up too...and I appreciate it:flowerforyou:

Birdie: Thank you for your nice post. Good to hear from you too!

AManda: HAPPY birthday:flowerforyou:

Sunsportsmom: WELCOME!! Glad to have you here! I hope that your hip gets better...I am sure that you are stretching very well after each bit of running, walking etc? I have to do hip openers and have also found that some good Fish Oil supplement helps with things like that! Good luck!!!

Well, DH has booked us an ocean front room in a lovely resort not far from us for the next 2 nights as a "Get-away" and as a special treat for me(His Caregiver), so that I don't have to cook or clean up for a couple of days. It will be a great time and I will enjoy being able to walk the beach and he can sit on the balcony over the ocean and read while he continues to recover. (If I posted this here already, forgive me...I am so sleepy right now:yawn: , I cant' remember who I have told! Can you tell that I am EXCITED!!!???:tongue: ) So...I will try to walk enough to make up for eating restaurant food, but at least there is lots of good fresh seafood to order. And I LOVE not having to cook the seafood...but just...EAT it:-):drinker:

Off to iron clothes:grumble: :grumble:
    Have a great week, Kackie:heart:
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Been AWOL for quite awhile. Thank you to everyone who messaged to ask about me. I am living proof that a low fat diet alone will NOT make you lose weight. Due to digestive issues I have basically been living on the BRATY (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast, yogurt) diet for months ~ now unable to tolerate even minute amounts of mufa fats, let alone meat or dairy. No energy for exercise and put on 8 lbs.

Good news is our remodel is now complete and I am scheduled to have my gall bladder removed next week, the 20th. Plan to begin exercising and participating in this group again once I get that behind me.
  • djhobs
    djhobs Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Well I did 10 miles on the bike this am and am back to "normal "eating...already feel better...and the scale # wasn't too bad..hoping mostly water, will find out tomorrow. DS is still home and I am so happy to see the man he is becoming...I KNEW he was in there during those tough, dark days..so to those with teenagers...hang in there and keep talking to them and hugs whenever you can give or get them!!!

Love the DIY stories...only way we get things done. We are working on the kitchen (I use we very Loosely) and the Monday before the fam reunion DH sanded the new walls...the walls were redone in MARCH...needless to say I spent all day Saturday cleaning...nothing like a deadline to get stuff done.

Well off to bed and reading time for me...had the menopause insomnia last night...hopefully the exercise will help me sleep tonight.

:flowerforyou: Hugs and prayers to all who need them and high fives to us for being here!

Have to share another DS story...when he was in 4th or 5th grade he decided he would not hug or kiss me good night anymore..he shook my hand:laugh: ..and tonight he was leaving to go out and meet friends and not only volunteered his plans but gave me a hug good night:love: ...full circle??

Thanks for listening
    :heart:
    Jen
  • maradot
    maradot Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    MaraDot here,

My goal is to walk the dogs every evening during the week, and to work in the garden on the weekend.
    There are two lovely parks near where I live. One is a large square filled with great old trees. I simply love trees. They're so beautiful, and I am never happier then when I'm walking under their generous shade. Not far from this park is a new park. It too is on the small side, but it contains a large pond with a tree shaded path that goes all the way around. The two parks together make a good 3 mile hike. A good walk for the dogs and for me.

Along with this, I am monitoring what I eat. In time, probably in the winter months when I can't get outside I will do more with weights and swimming.

I think the key is to just keep moving and be mindful of what you are eating.
    Oh Yeah!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,948 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: I read all the posts but after a full day with friends, dog walking, and yard work, I'm off to bed

:bigsmile: :heart: hugs to all
    Barbie from NW Washington and Brandy and Sasha, the frisky poodles and Bernie, the smart and cuddly cat.
  • lilylight
    lilylight Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I new to MFP ( since last Thursday). I've enjoyed reading through your posts. It's very encouraging. Although June is half-way through, my goal is to return to walking/ running 3-5x a week. I'd like to do a 5K in July. Earlier in the year when training for a 10K I developed hip pain. My primary care couldn't find anything wrong but every time I start up again it kills me. Any advice is welcome.

Have you tried a chiropractor? My Mom had bad hip pain years ago and that really helped.
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies, it's been awhile since I posted, you know life just got busy. Still busy I have a conf. the rest of this week, but decided I needed to say HI to everyone. I am trying very hard to get all my calories in, some days are better than others. I have lost 15 lbs. since May 20 th, I'm so excited about this!!!
    BirdieM, thank you for those lovely words of wisdom, when life gets busy we tend to forget.
    To all the ladies caring for others, Wow, I know it can be hard but you will never regret a moment of it. Wish my mom was still here, I would do it all again!
    Thank you all for the motivation I get by just reading your stories.
    Have a wonderful Wednesday everyone!

DeeDee
  • mynyddisamrs
    Options
    An afternoon pop in from me ...........

Hello to all the "Newbies" .....enjoy and take heart from your visits to this lovely group ....they're an inspiration!!! ...except me!!

:flowerforyou: Amanda ....Ithink you've got a "Sunny" birthday day ...just spoken to my DIL and she says it's lovely "Down South". Hope your day is good!! We've got rain ....:sad: and the drip is back!!
    I'm begining to think along the lines of a quick few days away in the sunshine ...maybe I can work on DH a little!! A friend has a place on the coast in Spain! ..:ohwell: .maybe!!

:laugh: Thank goodness for cleaning calories is all I can say ....:bigsmile: the jam doughnut I had with my coffee for lunch/snack was ..........delicious!!!

:angry: Doh! That drip sound is driving me batty! ....just when you think ...No! it's stopped ....plop! ....:explode: again.
    I'm off to try something else ...investigating wise ......I'll let you know!!

BFN
    :drinker: Jackie
  • mynyddisamrs
    Options
    :mad: :angry: :explode: ............

As I finished posting ......:noway: a little damp patch appeared above my head ........we're waiting for the ceiling to collapse!!
    Roofer required soon methinks and wellies!!!

BFN
    Jackie
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: It's "We Will Wednesday"

Yep ladies this is the day we all WILL have a successful day on MFP...it's what we want and we will do it:drinker:

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: AMANDA, HAPPY BIRTHDAY:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Jackie- I'm sure the delivery person thought you'd already had some wine from the description of how you looked. Good for you keeping the DIY project going and those ants just make for an interesting texture:laugh: drip, drip, drip:noway: hope you find it.

sunsportsmom- Welcome:flowerforyou: Sorry I have no words of wisdom for your hip pain, but I'm sure someone else might. Keep coming back and let us get to know you.

Rose- Congrats on the job review and raise:flowerforyou: we all know you deserve it.

Kackie- What a thoughtful hubby you have...taking you away to be pampered:flowerforyou: Enjoy those walks on the beach, that's on of the things I miss most about living in Colorado...not close to any ocean:grumble:

Suz- so glad to see you back:flowerforyou: you have been missed. Wow so sorry you have continued to have those digestive issues and now surgery on the 20th. Take care of your self and we will look for updates on your progress:flowerforyou:

Jen- reading about your son brought back memories of when my #1 son was 12 and decided he was too old to hug and kiss his Mom:sad: , hubby promptly when charging into his room and told him that he will NEVER be too old to hug & kiss his Mom and that was the last of that little phase:wink: His brother's took their cue from him and they have never stopped hugging & kissing me...even through those rough teenage years...even in front of their friends...thankful we survived that one:happy:

MaraDot-:drinker: sounds like a good plan you have.

DeeDee-:drinker: cheers to you on your #15 loss:drinker:

Yesterday when I went home hubby was waiting for me again and suggested a walk at the resevoir instead of me heading to the basement. I know I don't burn as many calories but it is nice to be outside. We counted 10-15 deer while on our walk:love: it's seeing the wildlife that makes those walks so special and because of that it's sometimes hard for us to remember that we do live in a city:bigsmile:

Today was weigh in and I'm down another 1.4 which gets me to a loss of #20 and that means I am 2/3 or the way to my goal:bigsmile: I realize that the last #10 will be much harder, they always are...but I will rid myself of them and that's a promise that I am making to you and myself:flowerforyou:

You all have a good day. It's once again warm and in the northern part of the state they are once again fighting wild fires:cry: so we have the "campfire" smell come though when the wind is coming from the north. Don't forget to log what you eat, move your body and get some kind of exercise followed by plenty of water:drinker:

Laura80111:smile:
  • katiejarr
    katiejarr Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Morning all!

:bigsmile: Jen I love you story about your DS shaking your hand!!! That made me laugh!!!! And with the morning Ive had I really needed a laugh so thank you!!!!! When my DS was in third grade he said he was not going to hold my hand anymore when I walked him into class and "oh by they way Mommy from now on Im calling you Mom, Im too big to call you Mommy!"..I told him it sounded like he was calling me "Mrs Weaver" it sounded so formal!!!!

But today he's 19 and gives me hugs and kisses and tells me he loves me and my 21 year old daughter stills called me Mommy :bigsmile: because she knows I like it! Daughters are different I guess!

Well today I woke up with a migraine :explode: first one in 6 months ugh! And we are headed to the beach today because DS is playing a gig tonight and we want to see his band play tonight:explode: ...so well stocked with my meds and hope they kick in (fingers crossed :grumble: )

AND.....this morning when I woke up stumbling around with my migraine I could not figure out why my eyes were itchy and I COULD SEE EVERYTHING??? What is going on???? OH MY GAWD!!!!!!!!!!! I SLEPT WITH MY CONTACT LENSES IN!!!!!!!!!!!!! :sad: :sad: :sad: In 30 years I have NEVER don't that and I don't have the kind of contacts that you are suppose to sleep in! What is menopause doing to my brain YIKES!!!

Anyway I hope you all have a wonderful day...Im off to the beach to enjoy the waves and watch my DS and enjoy his band :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Love to you all
    Kat :heart: :heart:
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :smile: Sorry it took so long....

Here's my Six Week Whole Wheat Raisn Bran Muffin Mix:flowerforyou:

Six Week Muffins

1 (approx 15 oz) Box of Raisin Bran Cereal (depending on the brand of cereal it is will determine the
    calories) I used Fiber One Raisin Bran = one serving has 170 calories (whole box 1,530)
    3 cups Stevia (you can use regular sugar but will change the calorie count)
    5 cups flour (I break it down to 2.5 of white and 2.5 of wheat)
    ½ cup of Wheat Germ (you don’t need it, if you don’t put it in it will lower the calories)
    4 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp salt
    1 qt Buttermilk ( I use 4 cups non fat milk with ¼ cup of Vinegar to sour it also lowers the calories)
    9 Tablespoons Egg White Egg Beaters
    ¼ cup of Regular Egg Beaters (in place of egg beaters you can use 4 beaten eggs, it changes the calories)
    1 cup of Smart Balance Heart Right Melted
    3 Tablespoons Vanilla

Mix all dry ingredients thoroughly. Add all liquids and mix well.
    Keep in refrigerator. Use as desired. Batter keeps for 6 weeks.
    Fill muffins ½-2/3 full.
    Bake 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes. I have found that the first batch made and baked before the mix is refrigerated bakes at 16 min and after it’s been in the refrigerator takes 19-20 minutes.

The calories for this vary according to your ingredients i.e. egg beaters or eggs, stevia or sugar, skim milk w/ vinegar or buttermilk, or whatever brand of cereal you are using.

I found that once I put it in “my recipes” then I’m able to tweak it each time I make it, especially if I use a different brand of Raisin Bran Cereal.

This receipe makes approx 60 muffins

For the changes I made the Nutrition Info is

Calories 77 per muffin / Carbs 14 / Fat 1 / Protein 3 / Sugar 3 / Sodium 62

If you have any questions let me know.

Laura80111:smile:

Kat OUCH sleeping with your contacts:sad: Hope no side affects....
  • fitz1191
    fitz1191 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi all have been mia for a few days sorry I read all the posts but don't have time to reply to them I have been struggling a bit lately been difficult to keep up on the strength training due to the back issues so laying off for a week then try again have a great day all and will be back later today hopefully
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Thank you everyone for the congratulations and well wishes.:smile: I am over at my son's watching my 2 yr old GS Conner. He has been sick with the virus that is going around:huh: Poor little guy needs alot of attention so I am going to go now and wish everyone a wonderful evening:wink::heart: love ((((hugs)))) and prayers, Rose :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    barbie - do you know of any yoga DVD's that are about 15 or 20 minute segments? I have Rodney Yee's Yoga for the Week (is that the name?) and also his tape with Mariel Hemingway. Sometimes I need shorter tapes.

banded - I don't wear capris because I have "cankles" and just look terrible in them. Every night (especially during summer, not every night in winter) I need to wear compression stockings. The blood just pools in my feet. I don't have any circulation problems or heart problems (as a matter of fact, one of my biggest problems when exercising is that my heartrate comes down SOOO fast). One of the activities on the WiiFitPlus is super hula hoop where you can set it for 5 minutes to the right and then 5 minutes to the left. Wish there was some way to make it so that you don't have to constantly stop and it tells you the time, I'd like to just keep going and maybe have the time recorded only at some intervals. Oh well.....still want to check out the games on the My Fitness Coach. Looks like you can regulate the time. So far, I've only used it for the yoga. I need to see if there are other games on it. As far as handmade quilts, my aunt (the one who made great handquilts) made one for each of the kids before her eyesite went and Denise didn't really care for hers, she wanted one from WalMart (1001 Dalmations). I just told Vince "there is no way that I'm going to donate a handmade quilt to the Salvation Army and keep one from WalMart". So I still have that quilt. It may never have been used, but I won't get rid of it. Now Jessica's I've requilted and even had someone make her another quilt. Each of the kids got a quilt and my aunt used a flat sheet for the top sheet. I didn't realize just how hard it was to quilt throught that fabric. She also made us a quit for our kingsized bed.

welcome lilylight - many times it's good to have small goals. Then you don't get frustrated when you don't make all of your goals. So starting out the way you are can be a good thing.

For some reason got up extra early this morning so did yoga, now going to check out My Fitness Coachr, then buy gas and go to the extremepump class. Run to WalMart (since they price match, going to get things that are on sale at other stores), do some bowling, and give the bowling alley and the Y the rest of the lemon poppyseed cake that I made for Ken. I really don't need all those calories. Gave him some to take home yesterday, now going to give away the rest.

Did the yoga and then an hour of the extreme pump. Today I tried increasing my weights on the bar in that class. I was able to do it for most of the large muscle groups, but I did have to eventually go lighter on the biceps portion. I started out heavier. Well, it's good to try new things.

Welcome pauli - so glad you joined us. Keep coming back!

Jackie - tell me more about this mystery shopping. I love shopping, so many times I feel that I could give good constructive ideas but don't know who to give them to where they might be acted upon.

You know, looking back on my records, for the last few YEARS (yes, years) my weight really hasn't changed. Some weeks up, some down. But always in the same ballpark. Yet, I also check my body fat percentages. Now THAT has gone down in the last few years.n So that number on the scale really doesn't tell the whole picture.

Jenni - I'm assuming you have all the nutritionals for the bran muffins in the database, right?

deanordorothy - welcome! I'm sure you'll add lots to this forum. Don't worry about your age, that's minor.

We played mahjongg last nigh (Mon)t. To be honest, I was asked mainly because they needed at least three people to play and one lady couldn't make it. They did ask me to go every Monday night, tho. I maj'd twice.

Now it's Tuesday. Got up, had yogurt with honey for breakfast and then went and exercised on the stairmaster for an hour. Then went to the post office to mail a package to a friend of mine in Switzerland. I told Vince we should use those priority boxes but he insisted that the box wasn't heavy enough. Sure enough, had we used the priority box we would have saved about $7. Admitted, its not a whole lot. But I just like being right....lol Then I went to CVS to get a prescription for him. This afternoon I'll play mahjjongg. Update: I maj'd twice!

Tomorrow I'll do a downloadable spin workout, then we have a Newcomer general meeting and then the senior bowling

Oh, there's a bakery that's opening in my town. I've already sent them an email saying that I would like to work there. I'm only looking for two or three afternoons a week. Maybe that safe-serve certificate I just got will come in handy! And to think that the only reason I took the course was because I thought it sounded interesting, I was about the only person there who wasn't taking it for their work.

Jenni - thanks for the laugh. Vince looked at me like I had something wrong with me....lol

Trish - I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Ouch on the root canal! How did he find out that he needed one, was he in pain?

Amanda - I do so hope you get your birthday wish

joyce - are those nutritionals for full size muffins or the mini muffins?

sunsportsmom - welcome and good luck on your running. Sorry, no ideas here. I'm not a runner. But I'm sure someone on here will be able to help you out

Rose - big congrats on the raise. Good for you!

Suz - so glad to hear from you! I was wondering about you! Your "diet" sounds pretty borning...no offense. But I understand, you don't want to get sick. Good luck with your gallbladder. Keep us informed.

maradot - welcome! Those are great goals. Wish you all the best

Now where am I? Let's see, it's Wednesday. Did an hour of a downloadable spinning workout, then had the Newcomers general meeting, then senior bowling. Tomorrow I'll do a DVD LaLoFit (weights)

Do we have any members who are in New Mexico? I have a friend from grade school who lives in Riodoso and am wondering about her.

katie - so sorry about your migrane

Forgot to post last night, so I'd better post this now before it gets too long!

Hope everyone has a great evening

Michele