Options
    thank you Banks
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry. . .I didn't see you there. Must have bumped you.:flowerforyou:
  • frenchfoodlover
    Options
    I'm bumping because everyone needs to read this.
  • iojoi
    iojoi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I am dyslexic so cannot make head nor tail of everything in this thread its confused me totaly
    anyhow my

BMI is :27.8

BMR is: 1,479

Deficit 650 calories

From Normal Daily Activity 1,850 calories/day

i just want to know if this is ok?
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    OH, and one more thing about the "magic number". I have a beautiful friend who is 20 pounds lighter than me. About six months ago, we went shopping together, and tried on the exact same dress in a store. She needed two sizes bigger than me. So, she weighs less, but I am smaller.

If you're muscular at ALL, scale numbers really, truly don't matter.:flowerforyou:

Tell me about it ... I haven't weighed less than 126 pounds since I was 15 . At the time, I was a size zero (an OLD size zero) and had a 21-inch waist. The other day, I was chatting with a friend about who told me she was down to 126, whereas I'm hovering between 132 and 134. But we wear the same size, and if anything, I'm slimmer and more toned. She doesn't really exercise. I do.

On the topic of calorie deficits ...

One thing that I really don't like abou tthis site is that it assumes that you SHOULD eat all your workout calories in the SAME day that you work out. There's something to be said for "smoothing" your calories over the week rather than varying them by 500+ depending on whether you did intense cardio. Routine is important for reforming habits!

Final thoughts:

Look at your "daily target" calorie level. If you imagine your skinny future self happily eating more than that without worrying about your weight, you're dreaming. UNLESS you also see yourself spending more time exercising. AS LONG AS YOU ARE ABLE TO WALK (or as long as you care about weight).

The key to being thin AND happy: Learn to love burning calories more than you love eating them.

Rather than satisfying food cravings, satisfy exercise cravings. A lot of the anxiety that charges oral fixations and cravings can be channeled through a brisk walk, a couple flights of stairs, or something more strenuous if you're up to it.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    I am dyslexic so cannot make head nor tail of everything in this thread its confused me totaly
    anyhow my

BMI is :27.8

BMR is: 1,479

Deficit 650 calories

From Normal Daily Activity 1,850 calories/day

i just want to know if this is ok?

If your asking if a 650 calorie deficit is ok for your bmi, It's probably borderline IMHO. I would probably knock it down to 500, but you can give it a shot for a month or so and see how it goes. Remember from my other posts I said that starvation isn't a line you cross, it's more of a gray area that you drift towards. If you stay there and you don't see a heck of a lot of progress, I would probably go up to 500 and try that for a month or so.
  • iojoi
    iojoi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    ok thanks :flowerforyou:
  • hamilton4beaumont
    hamilton4beaumont Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    What's IMHO? I'm changing to a 250 deficit instead of the 500. Maybe this will help me. Should I try it here for maybe a week? month? or switch it daily? I don't want to gain a ton of weight by eating close to 1600 instead of the 1300 I was having consistently. I kind of already feel like a hephervison!:ohwell:
  • banks1850
    Options
    What's IMHO? I'm changing to a 250 deficit instead of the 500. Maybe this will help me. Should I try it here for maybe a week? month? or switch it daily? I don't want to gain a ton of weight by eating close to 1600 instead of the 1300 I was having consistently. I kind of already feel like a hephervison!:ohwell:

IMHO is In My Humble Opinion.

try it for at least a month, if your BMI is in the normal range, anything shorter then that is too small a sample to really tell. And truely, if you GAIN weight at your maintenance weight, it means you aren't meeting nutritional requirements, either that or your thyroid is messed up (or some other rare condition that I have no clue about). And if any of those are the case, it's good you did this because you would much rather know any of that stuff now, then years down the road when it's a serious problem for you.
  • hamilton4beaumont
    Options
    OMG!:laugh: I know a new one! Thanks for filling me in!
    Ok, a month. I can do that. I never thought that something would be wrong if I ate what I "should," and gained. Typically, that's what's happened though. My mom has just always told me that I have a weight problem and I've spent most of my life trying to fix that. Thank you, thank you, thank you for your help. I really appreciate you taking the time to break it down!:flowerforyou:
  • banks1850
    Options
    :bigsmile:

With any luck we will have an army of 23 to 24 BMI super toned
    spectacular looking, healthy, happy, and mucho hotness
    people here in about a year or so! none of those ultra skinny, kate moss lookin
    heroine shiek waifs that gross me out when I turn on the tv.

all thanks to this great site that Mike cooked up!
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile:

With any luck we will have an army of 23 to 24 BMI super toned
    spectacular looking, healthy, happy, and mucho hotness
    people here in about a year or so! none of those ultra skinny, kate moss lookin
    heroine shiek waifs that gross me out when I turn on the tv.

all thanks to this great site that Mike cooked up!

Thanks for explaining all of this for us!

BTW, thanks for saying that super bony girls are scary. Sometimes they really are! My dad has a bunch of actresses that are supposed to be super gorgeous that he says "yuck!" He says they have no butt or boobs, and to him they look like boys! :happy: It's nice to know that more men than just my dad think this.
  • littlespoon
    littlespoon Posts: 165
    Options
    I am not sure where this whole "unhealthy end of the BMI" has come from. The BMI's varying scale is to take body frame and muscle mass into account. (and just in case I have to say this, yes obviously if you're an athlete or body builder, then its not that appropriate.)

Telling people (especially when you cant actually see them) that having a BMI of 21 is getting to the unhealthy range is like me telling someone that a BMI of 24 is close to the high unhealthy range so they should lose more weight - its just not true.

And instead of assuming that (especially women) are getting caught up in a number due to societal pressures is insulting: do you not think we are smart enough to figure that out? Maybe some of the people that are heading for the "lower end" of the BMI are small framed people??

I had doctors input before losing weight (i started at 61kg) and after gathering a history from me as well as taking my frame into account, she was happy with my ultimate goal of 50kg. She didnt think it was the unhealthy side of the BMI, she thought it was fine for me. (I am 157cm by the way).
  • banks1850
    Options
    I am not sure where this whole "unhealthy end of the BMI" has come from. The BMI's varying scale is to take body frame and muscle mass into account. (and just in case I have to say this, yes obviously if you're an athlete or body builder, then its not that appropriate.)

Telling people (especially when you cant actually see them) that having a BMI of 21 is getting to the unhealthy range is like me telling someone that a BMI of 24 is close to the high unhealthy range so they should lose more weight - its just not true.

And instead of assuming that (especially women) are getting caught up in a number due to societal pressures is insulting: do you not think we are smart enough to figure that out? Maybe some of the people that are heading for the "lower end" of the BMI are small framed people??

I had doctors input before losing weight (i started at 61kg) and after gathering a history from me as well as taking my frame into account, she was happy with my ultimate goal of 50kg. She didnt think it was the unhealthy side of the BMI, she thought it was fine for me. (I am 157cm by the way).

Um, I don't think I ever said a BMI of 21 was unhealthy. I believe I said a BMI of 22 was getting to the lower half of the Healthy BMI range, which it is since the US Dept. of Health and most health organizations that I have read agree that a BMI of 18.5 is the cut off point for a healthy BMI. I think maybe you misread my comments littlespoon. As to your comment on it being insulting, I hardly think that was the case, or that any of my comments came off as insulting (there was absolutely no intent). People asked about their situation, and I gave my best effort based on the numbers they gave me. I specifically stated in pretty much every case, that I was JUST GOING BY THE NUMBERS and gave what I thought would be most helpful to them. I even went so far as to show the process by which I came to those numbers.
    BMI is a flawed calculation, everyone is in agreement that is has limited scope and use, but with that in mind it is a relatively decent predictor of (very) general body weight as a function of overall health.

I just don't see where the anger comes from, littlespoon, you may know full well that numbers aren't as important as general health, but I see many people on here every day talking about how they need to lose weight, when in reality, some of them really don't have any need to lose weight, they just need to tone their bodies, eat healthy, and add lean tissue. If you find an error in what I'm saying, that's fine, I've no problem with that. I'm not any kind of expert on this stuff. And am willing to change my thinking if there is reason too.

FYI here is the article I have been refering to lately about BMI if people want more info.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/how-accurate-body-mass-index-bmi
  • hamilton4beaumont
    Options
    Thanks Banks for a great post! :flowerforyou:
    Maybe everyone needs to learn "IMHO.":drinker:
  • banks1850
    Options
    Thanks Banks for a great post! :flowerforyou:
    Maybe everyone needs to learn "IMHO.":drinker:

:happy:
  • cinandchris
    cinandchris Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I am at work and cannot read this now, please can we keep this bumped so i can read it at home tonight? Thanks all :flowerforyou:
  • banks1850
    Options
    bump for cinandchris
  • hamilton4beaumont
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • kelpie06
    kelpie06 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    bump :wink: