A Question of Etiquette

Options

Replies

• migoi357
    migoi357 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking I'll go with the polite grace under pressure but don't let them push you around. Discreetly dispose of the fly into a napkin. Call over waitstaff, quietly, without fanfare explain the situation, and ask for a new drink and napkin. Apologize to your guest for the brief interruption and shift the conversation back to what it was before. If some type of in kind compensation wasn't offered (and you're the one paying for the meal) a conversation with the manager out of earshot of your guests would be in order.

There is an apocryphal Ann Landers story of a woman who wrote in for advice after finding a fly in her dessert. Not wanting to embarrass her hostess, she carefully ate around the fly and continued carrying on the conversation, not letting anyone else know. She wanted to know how to handle the situation if it should come up again. Ms. Landers replied that anyone able to carry on a conversation while eating around a fly in their dessert certainly didn't need any advice from her.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Drink water.
  • CarolinaGirlinVA
    CarolinaGirlinVA Posts: 1,512 Member
    Options
    Is there anyone opposite you that you dislike? Do you have the skills to aim and either achieve:

a. Headshot
    b. Fly landing in THEIR drink?

There is a third option;

c. Log 1g Pure Protein.

Like!
  • terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Don't think I would have grace under pressure, because I would be like WTF??:sick: And I would definitely be getting a free meal!:drinker:
  • KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Is there anyone opposite you that you dislike? Do you have the skills to aim and either achieve:

a. Headshot

There is a third option;

c. Log 1g Pure Protein.

I couldn't help but laugh at this ^^ response.

Honestly... I'd have grabbed my napkin, spit it out into it, excused myself, and then went to see the manager of the restaurant.
    God that's just gross.
  • AimersBee
    AimersBee Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Here is a situation that I found myself in. I realize now that there are many ways I could have dealt with it. I know that I could have done better.

Just for a bit of fun, how would you guys would deal with it?

So, here’s the situation…

You’re at a nice lunch… not exactly formal but it’s certainly important that you impress the other guests.

You take a sip of your drink and suck up a nice fruity bit through your straw. You immediately realize that there should be no fruit in your drink because it is a diet soda. You explore the thing with your tongue and you find that it is a soggy and very dead house fly.

You react with a sound and everyone looks at you. The woman next to you asks “are you okay?”

What do you do?

NAAAAASTYY!

I had a similar situation, except it wasn't a formal thing, it was way back when, I had bought a drink of ice tea from mcdonalds.. first couple of sips went down, then all of a sudden i take a sip and i'm thinking to myself "oh no what's this".. take whatever it is out of my mouth... and it's a clipping of a finger nail... EWWW i was so grossed out, but I didn't tell anyone at the time.. obviously i'd just get laughed at.. but gross!!! ewwww
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options

a. Headshot

There is a third option;

c. Log 1g Pure Protein.

Letter C is awesome!
  • Reedern
    Reedern Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I'd probably start singing..."There was an old lady who swallowed a fly..."

I remember a time when I was at a xmas party at lawn bowls in the summer time (where the flies love the heat down in Oz) and I was laughing and ended up choking on a fly. Friends look at me weirdly asking "You ok?"....I say "Swallowed a fly"...

...they fell about laughing their heads off. I had tears down my face from laughing too.

LMAO.... oh this cracked me up!
  • snoopytwins
    snoopytwins Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Run, screaming out the door, leaving the remaining guests to fend for themselves.
    This...this sounds good!
  • Reedern
    Reedern Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking I'll go with the polite grace under pressure but don't let them push you around. Discreetly dispose of the fly into a napkin. Call over waitstaff, quietly, without fanfare explain the situation, and ask for a new drink and napkin. Apologize to your guest for the brief interruption and shift the conversation back to what it was before. If some type of in kind compensation wasn't offered (and you're the one paying for the meal) a conversation with the manager out of earshot of your guests would be in order.

This seems like the best option in the situation. However, if I was just out with friends, I would probably react a little differently.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Welllllll, if it was me I would have:

a) discreetly taken the offending fly out of my mouth whilst covering it with a napkin
    b) called over the prettiest waitress I could see
    c) show her the malodorous insect and say
    d) "I'm afraid I will have to return your generous gift because it's rather unsafe to drink and fly"
    e) watch as she giggles
    f) get her number
    g) meet her for a drink after her shift finished
    h) end the evening doing the horizontal hoolah

(authors note: this is a work of fiction. Any resemblance to persons living or dead or previous events is purely coincidental.)

Now you're going to pretend we didn't have that amazing night together!?!?!
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Don't think I would have grace under pressure, because I would be like WTF??:sick: And I would definitely be getting a free meal!:drinker:

You see Terri is a cusser. That is why we don't let her out much.
    For me I would create a diversion by farting.
    Take it out give thorough exam, if it's a female fly eat it.
    Log it of course.
    Male fly gets the spit out.
    Don't want them little nuts getting in between my teeth.
    Would look bad having a couple lil dots in my teeth:bigsmile:
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Probably just swallow the soggy fly.
  • sktllmdrhmz
    sktllmdrhmz Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    "as I pass, do I give you the *kitten* or the crotch?"

I'd be asking myself that after I'd excused myself.
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options

a. Headshot

There is a third option;

c. Log 1g Pure Protein.

I vote letter c XD

I'm with her!
  • jean1058
    jean1058 Posts: 86 Member
    Options

There is a third option;

c. Log 1g Pure Protein.

OMG ROFL this is funnnnnneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

eta: they didn't try to charge you extra for the fly did they?
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I would have told the waitress that you didnt order a protien drink and you would like another diet minus the fly !!!!!!!!!!
  • lrichardson2360
    lrichardson2360 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Welllllll, if it was me I would have:

a) discreetly taken the offending fly out of my mouth whilst covering it with a napkin
    b) called over the prettiest waitress I could see
    c) show her the malodorous insect and say
    d) "I'm afraid I will have to return your generous gift because it's rather unsafe to drink and fly"
    e) watch as she giggles
    f) get her number
    g) meet her for a drink after her shift finished
    h) end the evening doing the horizontal hoolah

(authors note: this is a work of fiction. Any resemblance to persons living or dead or previous events is purely coincidental.)

:laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options

a. Headshot

There is a third option;

c. Log 1g Pure Protein.

I like this one, too.

If you're actually interested in Proper Etiquette(TM), the thing to do when spitting something out is to have it leave your mouth the same way it got there, which would mean you'd have to spit it back into the straw. Once it was back in the drink, I'd follow all the prior advice to have a discreet conversation with the waitstaff, out of earshot of your guests.

Of course, there is no way on earth I'd have the presence of mind to do this with not just a fly but a soggy fly in my mouth. :laugh:
  • terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options

You see Terri is a cusser. That is why we don't let her out much.
    For me I would create a diversion by farting.
    Take it out give thorough exam, if it's a female fly eat it.
    Log it of course.
    Male fly gets the spit out.
    Don't want them little nuts getting in between my teeth.
    Would look bad having a couple lil dots in my teeth:bigsmile:

:laugh: Sorry can't f'ing help myself...now LET ME OUT!:explode:
    And Cliff, if you can find something that tiny...you better have a microscope handy...so why be particular?:bigsmile: Just get your protein in:flowerforyou: