Pad Thai made easy - Shirataki noodles

Options

Replies

• summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I've been making Pad Thai with 20 calorie Vietnamese noodles (tapioca sticks; the ones I have are called Hu Thiu Dai My Tho). The noodles are made of tapioca flour only; there are similar noodles made of tapioca and rice flour that are 10X the calories, so label reading is crucial!

To prep the noodles, I put them in a bowl and cover them with boiling water, then cover the bowl with a plate or lid. The noodles soften up in about 15 minutes, and I then drain and rinse them with cold water.

I much prefer the texture and flavor of the tapioca noodles to shirataki. Any of you who have access to an Asian market with a good selection of Vietnamese foods should check them out! They're dried noodles, so you'll find them near the rice noodles and bean threads.
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Here's a Shrimp Pad Thai if your a vegetarian you can take out the Shrimp...

Shrimp Pad Thai On The Lighter Side
    www.Skinnytaste.com
    Servings: 2 • Serving Size: 1/2 • Old Points: 9 pts • Points+: 11 pts
    Calories: 400 • Fat: 18.7 g • Protein: 37.5 g • Carb: 25.1 g • Fiber: 2.1 g • Sugar: 9.4 g
    Sodium: 1391 mg

Ingredients:

3 oz packaged rice noodles (rice sticks)
    2 tsp oil
    1 clove garlic, finely minced
    6 oz medium-sized shrimp, shelled and deveined
    2 oz fried firm tofu, cut into slices (optional)
    1 large egg
    1 large egg white
    5 oz bean sprouts
    1 oz Chinese chives (or scallions), cut into 2-inch lengths
    1 tbsp crushed peanuts
    lime wedges

For the Seasonings:

1 1/2 tbsp fish sauce (Thai Kitchen brand for gluten free)
    1 tbsp sugar
    2 tbsp water
    1 tbsp rice vinegar
    1/2 tsp chili powder or more, to taste

Directions:

Follow the package instructions to cook the dry rice noodles. The rice noodles should be soft (but still chewy and not mushy) after boiling. Rinse the boiled noodles with cold running water.

Mix all the seasoning ingredients in a small bowl until well combined, set aside.

Heat up a large skillet on high heat and add the oil. As soon as the oil is hot, add the garlic to the skillet and start stirring until you smell the aroma of the garlic. Add the shrimp and the tofu and continue stirring. As soon as the shrimp changes color, add the noodles and stir-continuously, about 30 seconds. Use the spatula to push the noodles to one side of the skillet, and crack the eggs on the empty side of the skillet. Use the spatula to break the egg yolk and let cook for about 30 seconds. Combine the egg and the noodles, and add the seasoning sauce. Stir to combine well with the noodles.

Next, add the bean sprouts and chives and continue stirring. As soon as the bean sprouts are cooked, stir-in the crushed peanut. Turn off the heat and serve the Pad Thai immediately with the lime wedges.
  • Omazed
    Omazed Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    A great recipe. Both my wife and I love Pad Thai....it's one of our fav dishes.

Thanks for this recipe.

We have to try it. :smile:
  • mzkrizzlerocks
    Options
    Yummy! I can't wait to make this. I love Pad Thai !!
  • mzkrizzlerocks
    Options
    THANKS!
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    very nice recipe! have you tried any of the other Shirataki noodles? been looking into the 0 cal ones specifically, but ive read so many mixed reviews. some people claim its the best thing since sliced bread, while others are gagging at the smell and tossing it.

any input is appreciated!

They are sort of a funny color (gray) for the all-yam variety but I like them just fine. You have got to rinse them WELL, of course that goes for all of the shirataki noodles. I also like to sautee them in a little broth before adding them to my recipes because it helps give them more flavor.
  • jmduvall22
    jmduvall22 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This sounds amazing! Will definitely try this.
  • GEMINI_STL
    GEMINI_STL Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I love Pad Thai! I will have to try both recipes you young ladies posted!
  • EnuffaMyButt
    EnuffaMyButt Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BrendarB
    BrendarB Posts: 2,770 Member
    Options
    oh hot damn - thanks!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Okay, FINALLY convinced to resume my search for Shirataki noodles. I'm sure they're there, I just wasn't looking hard enough.
  • ed395
    ed395 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Jay_Jay_
    Jay_Jay_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Shirataki are great for low carbers too! Awesome noodle alternative, as long as you rinse them for a while.
  • carriem73
    carriem73 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JoeD1968
    JoeD1968 Posts: 167
    Options
    Yum!:smile:
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    Can't wait to try this - love pad thai!
  • joanie152
    joanie152 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Awesome - Bump - thanks
  • Nikkie_too
    Nikkie_too Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I've got some of those noodes, but wasn't quite sure what to do with them. This looks like a great option! Thanks for posting!
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!!!!!!
  • piexcore
    piexcore Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    bump <3