Bit Embarrassing

Options

Replies

• Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Two thoughts:
    1) I don't think you are drinking enough water, and that will mess you up

2) I don't know what you are doing for exercise, but a good workout will help move things along. Just about every time I run, it's followed by a good emptying of the bowels.

Think you may be right I am drinking more than ever and still probably not anywhere near as much as I should. I literally have to force myself to drink as I never feel thirsty.

I only really do a bit of walking so not much at all. It is hard trying to fit it in as so much to do, but I am going to start thinking of myself and try and get some exercise in.
  • dreamsofsomeday
    dreamsofsomeday Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I had that problem at first, too.
  • Shayshow
    Shayshow Posts: 17
    Options
    Even before this whole tracking my weight thing I would eat Dried fruits with a full glass of water. Any will do the trick and very little is needed. My faves are Apples, Pineapple, Apricots, you can also get trail mixes, and the dried cranberries, cherries.

FYI: When your really backed up..... and its painful, go to your dollar store or Walmart and get Magnesium Sitrate, its a disgusting lemon/lime flavored bottled saline that they give you if you end up in the hospital.
    I usually refridge it a bit first and then Follow directions (drink it down fast and it not so bad) and follow with alot of water but be prepared not to leave the house for a while.
    I usually leave this to deep cleansing and last resort. I drink it after work on Friday and am usually fine by Sat morn/afternoon. BUT DRINK WATER with it and it will work quickly!!! otherwise it takes forever and will hit you uncontrollably and unexpectedly!!!
  • Poods71
    Options
    Make sure you are drinking enough water.... going into warmer weather now and your body needs more...

Lol I live in Scotland so never really gets that warm. Except for the odd mini heatwave then bad to rain :grumble:
  • paulsmisses
    paulsmisses Posts: 178
    Options
    Hi Guys,

Being doing this, seriously, now for about a month and sticking to my 1200 as recommended by MFP. The only problem is I am finding that I am really constipated :blushing: . I am eating more fruit and veg than I have in a long time and trying to drink more water but nothing seems to be helping. Starting to feel really bloated and yucky. I am going to get laxatives today but don't want to do that all the time and wondered if anyone could recommend anything?

absolutely sympathy your way!! i have been on this since 17 april now and constipation up until about last week was horrendous! was using laxatives and suppositries and everything and it still wasnt shifting! my body has now however settled down and accepted that its not getting anymore junk! stick with it - i know how painful and crappy it is but my tummy is so much less bloated now - well worth it! Senna, which you can buy over the counter is a natural laxative, and when taking two at night you should go by morning, good luck!
  • ImpishScoundrel
    Options
    http://thoughtcatalog.com/2012/the-dos-and-donts-of-drinking-ballerina-tea/

I love opportunities to share this link.
    Best. Link. Ever.

Oh snap!! Now there's a few mental images I didn't really need in my head.
  • cdjk
    cdjk Posts: 3
    Options
    I use fiber one original cereal on plain greek yogurt with 1/2 cup raspberries for a quick high fiber high protein breakfast. Green smoothies with romain, spinach, pear, apple, celerly, parsly and water for snack (you can make 3 days worth at a time and keep in fridge, or even bigger batches and freeze). I put lemon in a pitcher of water in the fridge and try to drink one whole jug a day, I always keep my glass full as I go about my day. Decaffinated green sun tea with lemon, unsweetened- put 6 green tea bags in a gallon jar full of water and stick in the sun first thing in the morning, put it in the fridge that evening, add lemons, or if you want it a little sweet use 1 can of condensed lemonade and stir it up. Take a good probiotic. Black beans on your salad. If you increase your fiber intake drasticallyand quickly you could bloat for a couple of days before things get better. I aim for 35 grams of fiber a day and track it on mfp. Good luck!!
  • Poods71
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies, given me some good ideas.

I added fibre column to my food diary and it looks like I am getting plenty (if not more than I need) and maybe that is the problem as I am terrible for not drinking enough. Going to have to force myself to drink more and hopefully that will sort things.
  • cdjk
    cdjk Posts: 3
    Options
    I use fiber one original cereal on plain greek yogurt with 1/2 cup raspberries for a quick high fiber high protein breakfast. Green smoothies with romain, spinach, pear, apple, celerly, parsly and water for snack (you can make 3 days worth at a time and keep in fridge, or even bigger batches and freeze). I put lemon in a pitcher of water in the fridge and try to drink one whole jug a day, I always keep my glass full as I go about my day. Decaffinated green sun tea with lemon, unsweetened- put 6 green tea bags in a gallon jar full of water and stick in the sun first thing in the morning, put it in the fridge that evening, add lemons, or if you want it a little sweet add 1 can of condensed lemonade and stir it up(1 jar is good for about a week, although my family makes a jar every day or 2). Take a good probiotic. Black beans on your salad. If you increase your fiber intake drasticallyand quickly you could bloat for a couple of days before things get better. I aim for 35 grams of fiber a day and track it on mfp. Good luck!!
  • Bjornulf
    Bjornulf Posts: 29
    Options
    There are many different causes for this particular affliction, and so many different solutions. Not all of which may be right for your specific condition. Most of the answers have already been given. The most common causes of constipation have nothing to do with fiber intake, despite the myths. Dehydration and too low daily dietary fat intake are the major reasons for such blockage. Whole fruits help a bit as they hit you with not only fiber, but vegetable based fats and a bit of extra hydration.

I am not a patient person by nature and so took a broad spectrum approach to this problem. I, personally, have found that low sugar/starch intake has done a world of good for my own colon health and healthy BM. I avoid the majority of grains. I do not opt for nonfat unless I really have to for caloric reasons, and I walk or run almost every day. I do also suggest fiber rich foods like spinach, peas, carrots and mushrooms, as well as using fish as a protein source three times a week or so; lots of Omega3's there. Most of all, I drink a minimum of a gallon of water per day.

I hope some of this information helps any of you that tries or needs it.
  • mitchipooo
    mitchipooo Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Try the herb "senna", I've found it in both capsule and tea forms in drugstores and natural food stores. I've found it to work quite well.
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    up your fiber... try apples/applejuice (for some people its like a laxative).
  • DreaFitX
    DreaFitX Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT!!!! :blushing: I am going through the same thing! Friends suggested upping the fiber (didn't work), doing a cleanse (didn't work), I tried acidophilus (didn't work).....finally I took some laxatives, they kinda worked.....i still feel very heavy and bloated......i thought maybe it was just me, glad to know I am not the only one!
  • Poods71
    Options
    http://thoughtcatalog.com/2012/the-dos-and-donts-of-drinking-ballerina-tea/

I love opportunities to share this link.
    Best. Link. Ever.

Oh snap!! Now there's a few mental images I didn't really need in my head.

That is hilarious :laugh:

Not sure if I would want to try it though as I definitely don't like to poop in public, not really a fan of public toilets at all (my husband calls me sh@tbreak a character from American Pie lol) so probably not for me lol
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Grapes and blueberries are great for getting things moving, since you mentioned you love fruit. Apples are good too, but not as effective as grapes and blueberries. They do have lots of fiber, though, which would help in the long run.

If you don't like eating cereal in the morning but don't mind it as a snack, you could have a small bowl of Raisin Bran.

Dairy tends to create issues, so watch your dairy intake if you're prone to constipation. Cheese is especially bad.
  • xipow
    xipow Posts: 58
    Options
    The typical rules about constipation relief are,
    1. More fiber in your diet results in retaining water in your bowels. Due to osmosis, the fluid follows the higher concentration of matter. High fiber fruits such as prunes promote water retention, and so, looser stools.
    2. The rate of passage of stool through the intestines. The longer it takes to pass, the more water is removed from the stool. There are several medications that slow the muscle activity in the bowels. The most famous is narcotics. Addicts to narcotics have a lot of constipation problems and may end up with surgery to remove blockages. Physical activity increases the movement of matter through the bowels and inactivity slows it down.
    3. Hydration. If your cells are under-hydrated they take more water from the intestines leaving a more solid stool.
  • musicgirl99
    musicgirl99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    If you drink coffee, try putting a teaspoon of Benefiber in your coffee daily. It should help and you can't even taste it. Believe it or not, kiwis are also very good for that. Good luck.
  • Poods71
    Options
    I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT!!!! :blushing: I am going through the same thing! Friends suggested upping the fiber (didn't work), doing a cleanse (didn't work), I tried acidophilus (didn't work).....finally I took some laxatives, they kinda worked.....i still feel very heavy and bloated......i thought maybe it was just me, glad to know I am not the only one!

Yep, tried all that stuff too lol. the Acidiphillus worked once and then nothing. It seems to be low calorie diets and not drinking enough that is causing my problem, I think. So taking some laxatives tonight and then going to try adding a bit more fat to my diet and forcing myself to drink loads more water. Hope you get something that helps, it's not much fun :frown:
  • DreaFitX
    DreaFitX Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    nope not at all! definitely not helping on the scale either. Hopefully we get some relief soon!
  • jlp100
    jlp100 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Do you have a lot of salt in your diet? That may be a cause. I went to my doctor with that once and was embarrassed to tell him and when I did go it was sore to go. He said it was down to sodium.

Also when you are eating fruit and veg are you eating something which is hard to digest before it. If you eat fruit first thing in the morning then it would be easier to digest rather than say if you had cereal or toast before and then ate the fruit it would be harder to digest and you would feel bloated then.

Obviously may not be the case with you but just in case it is a factor with you. Hope you feel better soon.