Gun for conceal / carry

Options

Replies

• bugtrain
    bugtrain Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    You said you don't want to carry a .22
    How come you have eliminated it?

thanks for all the info (I didn't quote), very helpful and good points.

Why not a 22... i'm open minded, convince me! :P
    maybe a 22 would be good to carry as a secondary firearm, or in certain situations. I wouldn't want it for home defense though. right?

I also carry for self defense in the wild. I have shot my fair share of big snakes due to the nature of my occupation.

Have you seen the... I think it's the Smith and Wesson Governor? It's a pistol that can fire .410 shot! I really should get one of those for the snakes :)
    My .410 is an awesome snake gun....my husband is getting ready to buy either the Governor or a Judge to carry when on his tractor(for snakes) and also as a home defense gun.
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I'll be getting a Glock 19 once I finally get my permit. I keep procrastinating though....
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I normally carry my S&W Model 642 Airweight .38.

It's extremely light - it doesn't even feel like I'm carrying - and I like the reliability of a revolver. Hopefully, I'll never have to use it in self-defense, but if I do, I like knowing that it's going to fire. There's always the chance that a semi-auto is going to jam.

the airweight, that has the concealed hammer right?

Yes
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I run with my Ruger LCP .380
    Carry my S&W .38
    Target Practice Winchester .22
    Next purchase: Derringer or Judge
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I have a Ruger .380 LCP. Her name is Black Betty, and she goes everywhere with me.

The Taurus Judge is fine for home defense or if you're out in the country. Not as many rounds as a semi-auto, but they're shotgun rounds, so ...

I'm using my Ruger for home, but I'm thinking seriously about getting a 12 gauge pump-action.
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I have a Ruger .380 LCP. Her name is Black Betty, and she goes everywhere with me.

The Taurus Judge is fine for home defense or if you're out in the country. Not as many rounds as a semi-auto, but they're shotgun rounds, so ...

I'm using my Ruger for home, but I'm thinking seriously about getting a 12 gauge pump-action.

Can't go wrong with a Remington 870...put a military pistol grip on it and a 7 shot tube extension. then load 8 shot, 8 shot, 8 shot, 00 buck, 00 buck, slug, slug.

No one will be alive by the time you pull trigger 7 times.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Wow there is some horrible advice in this thread

From loading your shotgun with multiple types of rounds to revolvers never fail

I like the Sig P229 but it can be quite bulky in the summer, but if you can afford one try it!
    Check out the FN FNP9, I got a screaming deal on one and its a bit easier to carry, never had a problem with it
    Also check out some 1911s
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Well the shotgun was more of a jest than anything.
    A 1911?? seriously? This was for CCW,
    I suppose if he wants to carry one, you would recommend the Les Baer Centennial for $2500?
  • stephenglover
    stephenglover Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Wow there is some horrible advice in this thread

From loading your shotgun with multiple types of rounds to revolvers never fail

I like the Sig P229 but it can be quite bulky in the summer, but if you can afford one try it!
    Check out the FN FNP9, I got a screaming deal on one and its a bit easier to carry, never had a problem with it
    Also check out some 1911s

LOL, at the 870 and I said revolvers never fail .ok, excuse me! It was not bad advise but a little off at worst. Rarely will a revolver fail if properly maintained, any gun may fail but revolvers unlike semi-auto's will not be jamming. I dont care who makes them they will jam eventually due to ammo or gun possibly.

I can say I have never had my S&W 357/38 or short nose misfire and be correct in that staement.

Now go out and shoot, it is addictive though,lol.
  • stephenglover
    stephenglover Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Well the shotgun was more of a jest than anything.
    A 1911?? seriously? This was for CCW,
    I suppose if he wants to carry one, you would recommend the Les Baer Centennial for $2500?

Agreed the 1911 is to bulky unless you where a jacket year round.

I will also recommend a Colt, Gold Cup or Compact Officers Model, Now that is one fine shooting set of guns.
  • gary6531
    gary6531 Posts: 11
    Options
    Lots of good advice.
    +1 on finding a place to rent what you are condisering
    Gunshows are great to get a "feel" for what fits your hand
    Don`t go cheap! You don`t want to bet your life on a cheap weapon

I carry a Kimber 1911 .45 Ultra Crimson Carry II. I`ve never had a problem with it and it is easy/comfortable to conceal. I did upgrade to a set of meprolight night sights. Well worth it. However you don`t need to spend big money. I tell folks $500- $600 for a good dependable sidearm.
  • harristim88
    Options
    i also have never been really big on shotguns for home defense. exp the people that load them with the home defense 3 in rounds i just think this packs a little to much punch then i would be comfortable firing with my 3 year old sleeping in any close range. also the recoil was always a problem to me the best shooter can miss under pressure in a chaos like setting while aiming at another human being and just waking up from a dead sleep. and its way easier to get a handgun back on target imo im sure a lot of other people would rather have that extra punch. im content with a handgun that fits well to me that is simple to operate and reload. also loaded with hollow points. to try and minimize collateral damage. but if u have someone breaking in and they hear that distinct racking of a shotgun most people would split lol

i also shake my head at this alot. the people that tell me they use their ar15s for home defense
    don't get me wrong i love the weapon system and platform it did carry me home from a few combat zones ill forever be indebted to it.
    but would not want to be firing it in a house with my child. i have seen first hand the crazy trajectories of entry/exit wounds
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Why would you carry? Why do you feel the need?
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    Why would you carry? Why do you feel the need?

This.
  • Baddabing5475
    Options
    Really depends on where your going to conceal but for me I have a Glock 19 with night sights. 40 cal is perfect for my hands where it is big enough to stop a man yet small enough to stay on target. Mine is either in a belly band or inside the waistline (holstered). It is uncomfortable and takes a long time to get used to.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    also dont understand the need to carry...
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    just curious: Why would a person feel the need to carry a concealed weapon? It's such a foreign concept to me. I realize that people will probably be upset by my questioning it but I just do not get it.

Do you fear attack all the time?
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    The best firearm for concealed carry is the one you can see yourself carrying comfortably, EVERYDAY and in every situation. Light summer clothes make concealing most difficult and even seasoned CHL's have to make adjustments for a slightly thick Glock, about 1.14" width if my memory serves. Also remember that when you pick up a firearm in a gun store, it is not loaded. Add a few more ounces for that. Shop smart and take these factors into consideration.

Some you might look at if you like the 9 are:

Kel-Tec PF-9
    Kahr CW9 or PM-9
    Sig Sauer P290
    Taurus Mil-Pro

One that I am fond of is a single stack Glock G36. It is a .45 but about a tenth of an inch slimmer than a true baby Glock.

Good Luck!!

Ahh yes and edited to say
    >>>>> I'm carrying a full size G22 in a Comp-Tac tuckable IWB in my profile pic.
  • stevepierson
    stevepierson Posts: 119
    Options
    I conceal carry a S&W J Frame 5 shot revolver. It's very easy to conceal, has the revolver benefit of never misfiring, and with hollow point protection rounds, it does the job.
  • interceptor311
    interceptor311 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I carry the following..depending on my mood or clothing:

S&W Bodyguard .380 (on duty backup weapon as well)
    Glock 27
    Ruger LC9

less often:

Para ordinance warthog .45
    S&W M&P .40 Compact
    Ruger LCR .380
    S&W Scandium .357

Yes, we need them. You may feel you don't. Thats your choice. Let us have our choice.

More Guns, Less Crime (read it)
    Join the NRA
This discussion has been closed.