Gun for conceal / carry

Options

Replies

• SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I carry the following..depending on my mood or clothing:

S&W Bodyguard .380 (on duty backup weapon as well)
    Glock 27
    Ruger LC9

less often:

Para ordinance warthog .45
    S&W M&P .40 Compact
    Ruger LCR .380
    S&W Scandium .357

Yes, we need them. You may feel you don't. Thats your choice. Let us have our choice.

More Guns, Less Crime (read it)
    Join the NRA
    It was an honest question. I am not trying to change your mind, just understand it. Sorry, I did not mean to put anyone on the defensive, I just really want to know. Honest!
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    Wow there is some horrible advice in this thread

From loading your shotgun with multiple types of rounds to revolvers never fail

I like the Sig P229 but it can be quite bulky in the summer, but if you can afford one try it!
    Check out the FN FNP9, I got a screaming deal on one and its a bit easier to carry, never had a problem with it
    Also check out some 1911s
    Revolvers never fail.
    Rounds fail to go off and I suppose that there might be some Tiwanese junk ot there that has hammers falling off but, if it were MY life on the line, I will take a revolver.
    As a matter of fact, I DO take a revolver.
    The advise is not horrible by any means.
    And also, there is nothing wrong with loading your shotgun with different types of rounds. My 12 gauge is loaded with birdshot as the first round and slugs for the rest and there is a very logical reason for it.
  • digitalbill
    Options
    just curious: Why would a person feel the need to carry a concealed weapon? It's such a foreign concept to me. I realize that people will probably be upset by my questioning it but I just do not get it.

Do you fear attack all the time?
    Hello Sue,
    In a nutshell, the badguys carry guns.
    While all gunfights are bad, it is even WORSE to be in a gunfight when you DON'T have a gun to fight with.
    I look at firearms in the same way I look at the airbags in my car.
    I am glad it is there and I know it is there for my safety. I hope I NEVER have to use it but, in the event that I DO, I want it to work perfectly and keep me safe.
    Carrying a firearm (or a shotgun for the home) is the same idea. It is there but, I really hope I never use it however, in the event that I have no choice, I want to be able to use it perfectly.
    Sue, the world is a dangerous place. Living in a gated community is no gaurentee of safety.
    Robberies happen ad the donut shop, at the supermarket, you name it.
    I don't want to lose my life because some dirtbag decided that stealing $35.00 was worth killing someone.
    I also don't want my FAMILY hurt because some scumbag decided he would enjoy raping my wife while we were at home.
    That is why I have decided to protect myself and my family.
  • digitalbill
    Options
    i also have never been really big on shotguns for home defense. exp the people that load them with the home defense 3 in rounds i just think this packs a little to much punch then i would be comfortable firing with my 3 year old sleeping in any close range. also the recoil was always a problem to me the best shooter can miss under pressure in a chaos like setting while aiming at another human being and just waking up from a dead sleep. and its way easier to get a handgun back on target imo im sure a lot of other people would rather have that extra punch. im content with a handgun that fits well to me that is simple to operate and reload. also loaded with hollow points. to try and minimize collateral damage. but if u have someone breaking in and they hear that distinct racking of a shotgun most people would split lol

i also shake my head at this alot. the people that tell me they use their ar15s for home defense
    don't get me wrong i love the weapon system and platform it did carry me home from a few combat zones ill forever be indebted to it.
    but would not want to be firing it in a house with my child. i have seen first hand the crazy trajectories of entry/exit wounds
    I agree with opening fire in the house being a danger.
    My first round in the 12 is birdshot and that is fhr the exact reasons you mentioned.
    I am well aware that waking up from a dead sleep is not going to make you an expert shot.
    The birdshot has a pretty good chance of hitting it's target without penetrating walls.
    While it won't kill the attacker, it will hopefully slow him down for that one second or give him pause. If he is still advancing, well, I should be wide awake by that time.
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,957 Member
    Options
    Why would you carry? Why do you feel the need?

When seconds count, the police are minutes away.
    Better to have and not need, than need and not have.
  • arrow460
    arrow460 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    just curious: Why would a person feel the need to carry a concealed weapon? It's such a foreign concept to me. I realize that people will probably be upset by my questioning it but I just do not get it.

Do you fear attack all the time?

No I do not fear attack......Because I do carry!
    I was attacked by an Idiot with an Axe handle in a public location and to this day am not sure of the reason other than mistaken Identity and drug usage. I can tell you that you cant always depend on others to come to your aide. I had a "friend" with me who Froze and never got out of the truck! I have better / more dependable friends now and a concealed carry permit!!!!
    What I choose to carry depends on my activity and how I will be dressed. For running, walking or lightly dressed I carry a Kel-tec P3AT with a pocket clip attached. For less activity, more clothed I choose the Kahr CW40 or CM9.
    The fool with the axe handle beat his wife in public (about 2 miles away) the next week and injured 2 officers before being detained and sent back to prison. If I had been legally armed at the time of my incident it may have saved the others from harm....
  • usc2626
    usc2626 Posts: 186
    Options
    This is what I carry, a little Taurus snub nose 38 special. It's light, holds five and packs a punch. :smile:

1339764279091.jpg
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    What state do you live in? Does depend a bit for what size/caliber/type you can carry
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I am most impressed that this made it all the way to page 3 before the "why would you carry a gun" questions arose.

What to carry is about the most individualized thing out there. Affordability, concealbility, shootability, & personal preference to calibers & gun designs makes this fun or confusing to figure it all out.
  • TGKvr
    TGKvr Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    This is what I carry, a little Taurus snub nose 38 special. It's light, holds five and packs a punch. :smile:

1339764279091.jpg

This is essentially like the Lady Rossi .38 I picked up yesterday. Shot it for the first time. Really fun. It's too small for my boyfriend though...
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I have a snub nose S&W .38 ... It's also hammerless so i feel comfy carrying it in my purse. Probably a bit too girly for you! LOL
  • Nailrep
    Options

1339764279091.jpg

This is essentially like the Lady Rossi .38 I picked up yesterday. Shot it for the first time. Really fun. It's too small for my boyfriend though...

I almost bought that gun, but went with a S&W.
  • Nailrep
    Options

When seconds count, the police are minutes away.
    Better to have and not need, than need and not have.

YES!
  • Nailrep
    Options

I used to travel for work. I'd rather have a weapon and know I have a chance than no chance at all.
  • TGKvr
    TGKvr Posts: 123 Member
    Options

1339764279091.jpg

I almost bought that gun, but went with a S&W.

So what changed your mind? I'm just test driving at the moment, haven't actually decided to keep it yet. I need to try it out a bit more, as I only had time to shoot two rounds yesterday which wasn't enough to really determine if it's a keeper. Though it felt great and had a nice smooth action with just the right amount of kick.
  • tuiccim
    tuiccim Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Gotta agree with others. Walther PPS 9mm is light and accurate. I love this gun. Also, Kimber Solo 9mm is pretty nice, too. Very accurate.
  • kimnsc
    kimnsc Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I love the Taurus PT 738 380 pistol, it's what I carry.

Edited to remove a photo link that didn't work.
  • carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    My fave to shoot is a 357 S&W, but too heavy to conceal. A 22 is a great concealed carry weapon because it can do a lot of damage to a person at close range (which is where you are in self defense) and is LESS likely to hurt an innocent by-stander who may be somewhere behind the "bad guy." It is not the gun you would take camping (you'd just tick off a bear), but if you are looking for self defense type gun, you can't go too far wrong with a 22.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    You said you don't want to carry a .22
    How come you have eliminated it?

thanks for all the info (I didn't quote), very helpful and good points.

Why not a 22... i'm open minded, convince me! :P
    maybe a 22 would be good to carry as a secondary firearm, or in certain situations. I wouldn't want it for home defense though. right?

I also carry for self defense in the wild. I have shot my fair share of big snakes due to the nature of my occupation.

Have you seen the... I think it's the Smith and Wesson Governor? It's a pistol that can fire .410 shot! I really should get one of those for the snakes :)

I'm not an expert or anything, but I would think that getting shot with a .22 still hurts a lot, and would give an intruder something to think about - e.g., running the hell away.

Edited: on second thought, probably there would falling down and screaming first... then, if they were pretty remarkable and actually got up, I would think the running part would kick in.
  • jaxdiablo
    jaxdiablo Posts: 580
    Options
    I'll throw my two cents in as someone who carries 99% of the time. I have two that I carry. Ruger .38 LCR and a Ruger SR9C. I prefer the SR9C because it does have a safety, and well, I'd rather be REALLY damn sure I need to shoot someone. It's a simple thumb safety so I can draw and have the safety off as I'm getting into a firing position. Also, it can hold a maximum of 17 rounds in the magazine (which is legal in Florida, along with the 1 in the chamber. It's light, it's reliable, it's easy to clean and maintain (in my opinion). The .38 LCR is exactly what you think it would be, a small, light, never failing .38. In my opinion you couldn't go wrong with either one.

Though, like everyone else has said, get out there, shoot everything you can get your hands on, and then pick what works best for you!
This discussion has been closed.