Kale Chips???

Options

Replies

• amoser87
    amoser87 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    They are so good, you just need to add different spices! I use Mrs. Dash or a mixture of cayenne, paprika and seasoning salt. I don't use olive oil just give them a good spray of Pam. I cook them at 400 for 8-10 mins.
  • MegAcelar
    MegAcelar Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    They are delicious if you do not overcook them! My husband and I make them 3 or 4 times a week for lunch but we use less salt and add paprika to them.
  • SheilaB103
    SheilaB103 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love them! Don't go too heavy on the oil and be sure not to burn them. Turn them over midway through. And, keep them as a single layer. they take a lot longer when you layer them on top of each other. I honestly can't get enough of them!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I just bought some kale to try these out since I keep hearing about them. Maybe I'll test it out tonight and see!
  • etremoi53
    etremoi53 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My sister brought some over once and found them kind of tasty.
  • RunnerBlonde808
    RunnerBlonde808 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Love kale chips. But I bake them around 30 minutes. 5-8 minutes is way too short of a time.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I found them very bitter. Didn't like them at all.

the red kale is bitter, the green is not bitter in my experience. My mom does them by just drizzling garlic olive oil and tossing the kale well in it. (we did both kinds that day and the red was awful)

they're ok - if you really want to be able to just shove something crisp in your mouth its a low calorie way to do it.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I've made a couple different recipes for them and they're good!

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/1274

Keep an eye on them! They can go from crispy and yummy to burnt and bitter in minutes
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    sounds yummy
  • frenchie2727
    frenchie2727 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I love kale chips, definitely can't over cook them and it's better to season them after they cook. If you salt them beforehand they get waaaay to salty. A salad spinner is key, I don't have one so I had to rinse then lay everything out on paper towels for about an hour (I used 3 bunches!). I've had better luck massaging the oil onto each individually than drizzling, but it's a pain. I've used older kale in my fridge that I thought looked ok, and it's definitely NOT ok to try to roast them. Google kale recipes, I tried one with ground cashews, spices, and ground sunflower seeds and they were DELISH. I like them with guacamole, but they're thin so I eat the chips and guac with a spoon.
  • lemonsmarty
    Options
    I love them :) I chop up the kale, minus the spine into bite sized pieces. I toss in a bowl with a bit of olive oil. Chuck in a bit of garlic, or some sea salt. Pop them into the oven on 350 for about 15 minutes. Gone within minutes of coming out of the oven.

Fresh Kale is key. I tend to cut up a whole bunch as soon as I buy it or I forget about it in the fridge.

**Note to self, buy Kale on the way home from work tonight.:smile:
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! :)
  • lacieb42
    lacieb42 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I throw some garlic powder and pepper on, too. I like them, but my 8yo son LOVES them and asks me to make them often! Just be careful to not burn them.
  • MissMollieD
    MissMollieD Posts: 130
    Options
    I made these last night. So, so. Probably won't go through the effort again. Here is a Kale recipe:

1/2 a bunch of kale, washed and cut into bit sized pieces

Dressing
    1 tblsp tahini
    1 tblsp of aminos (or tamari or soy sauce)
    1 tblsp of water
    1 tblsp of fresh lemon
    1 clove of garlic

Mix the dressing well, then mix the dressing and kale together in a large bowl. Refrigerate for an hour or so (if desired) and eat!
  • linda110459
    Options
    A lady that i go to church with says they are to die for...I haven't given them a try myself...but am ready to take the plunge! :-) good luck!
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I love them. I use a tiny bit of salt.

You really have to watch them though.

If you overcook them they definitely taste QUITE bitter.
    I take them out after a few minutes, take out the ones that are done, put them back in for 30-45 seconds, remove some more, and so on. It takes longer but then you don't end up with half a pan of brown bitter pieces.
  • annebubbles
    annebubbles Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I mix a red bell pepper, 1/4 onion, tahini, nutritional yeast, cayanne pepper, garlic powder & sea salt in a food processor & mix into fresh washed kale. Then I DEHYDRATE them until crunchy. MINE ARE THE BEST :blushing:
  • annebubbles
    annebubbles Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    oops...I forgot....gotta add lemon juice & Kikoman terriyaki sauce to that recipe above ^
  • noelkm67
    noelkm67 Posts: 118
    Options
    I love them but they do take 20 or so minutes. Don't add too much oil because you are trying to dry them out so they will get crispy.
  • AliciaBeth78
    AliciaBeth78 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Kale Chips are AWESOME! I've made them a few times - unfortunately, not recently though, I've been lazy! But they are delish! I've also made Spinach Chips - SUPER YUM!