Calories burned exaggerations

Options

Replies

• conidiring
    conidiring Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Everyone keeps saying you "can't" go my MFP because they overexaggerate. I got an HRM, and used it for all my cardio exercises which also happen to be in the MFPsystem. MY HRM gave me higher rates that MFP. So, yah I'll stick with the MFP rates for now. It's not always the SAME for everyone! People worry too much about what others on here are doing when it doesn't affect them in the least.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    HRMs are a different story, I agree...its the people that say they burned 600 calories walking for 30 minutes and Im like...WHAAAATTT?!! Lol

You do know that someone that weighs more is going to burn significantly more calories doing the same thing as you do, right? I guess if there is any benefit to being larger - we burn more doing the same things you do.

Since I have been capable of running 30 minutes straight, AND had an HRM, which most of us agree is a better form of calorie estimation. I have weighed between 295 & 267 and have only gotten close to 600 kcal for 30 minutes under the most intense running work outs.

So if someone lighter than me says they burned that much walking....I'd have a hard time beleiving that.

But like others have said. This is mostly a personal deal. If you find something that works, go with it till it doesn't, and then find something else. Adjustments are constant if this is indead a lifestyle.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    All depends on the particular person. I use an HRM, and I have a very high calorie burn because I have a high heart rate. Just sitting down my heart rate is between 90-100. Just a genetic thing. So to each his own, because we all burn differently.

I have a high HR genetically, too, but I don't think I burn more calories than most people my size. The HRM just uses averages and your HR is higher so it assigns you more calories. To learn if you actually burn more calories, you'd need to go to a lab. Or know your burn rate from long term food and weight and activity logging.
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I have an abnormally high heart rate when I do high intensity workouts, but I do not sweat....my HR goes to 200-205 when I sprint on ellipticals. When I was doing training in the Navy, we would test out HRM's against the elliptical calories burned, even with my high heart rate there was a difference, and even bigger differences with the guys with slower heart rates. I was just making a point.
  • this1bigdog
    this1bigdog Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    If you got a HRM use it, but for those who don't..it's better than a poke in the eye!

Personally, I have a HRM and I have burned over 1k per hour in a work wearing it! so 500 in 30 mins would be easy for me.
  • skinyZ
    skinyZ Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I've seen people say they burned 1,000 calories for an hour of Zumba. That's impossible. Plus, an hour long zumba class includes warm up and warm downs. You need to RUN 10/mph for an hour to burn that.

I agree with this but some people actually do burn that much. I used to get very frustrated with a girl i knew because she would say she burned 1,000 cal and she never would break a sweat while i would be busting my butt and burn 600. we both had hrm's and she would actually burn that grrrr for me !!! Mfp is way off what i do with my hrm!

does mfp say you burn more or less than your hrm?
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    The ellipticals at my gym tend to underestimate my burn, and the treadmills overestimate.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    The people I refer to are around my body weight and it does not hurt me, its when they ask why they are not getting anywhere.
    I cringe too when I see the comments like "!'m eating 1300 calories a day and exercising 1200 calories. Should I eat more?" My initial thought would be "Are you losing weight? No? Then you're wrong on calories consumed or calories burned." but of course someone jumps in and tells them to start eating more despite the fact that they're obviously not burning nearly as many calories as they say.

I just add in 200 calories for 30 minutes elliptical or 250 for 30 minutes of treadmill. I'm sure I burn more than that but I'm not worried about it. I don't even log calories for weight training. I suppose it's a bigger deal for people who have lower calorie goals but if I'm not losing I just eat less and to slow it down I try to meet my goals and add some calories back in. It's simple math.

I do feel sorry for people who are "stuck". My main gripe about MFP is the overestimation of calories it gives you for workouts. You can fib about the calories burned or consumed in your diary but you can't lie to the scale.
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    You guys can't keep going off the numbers in MFP, nor what your elliptical/spin/treadmills say. If you went on the elliptical for an hour, as I do (level 17/20), and it says you burned 1200 calories...chances are you most likely did half. In the end isn't it better to underestimate it and NOT eat back those hard earned calories. Just sayin'....

I find this constructive. A lot of people I see on here burn extreme amounts of calories doing very light activity, eat all of their calories back and wonder why they are gaining weight. I think this helps those who are having problems.

I see several members every once in a while post they burned 400 calories for 1 minute of breastfeeding. I don't know much about breastfeeding, but if their next post is that they gained 2lbs that week I would direct them here.

I appreciate you seeing that I am just trying to be constructive....and via thread to get to the masses. I wish so many of you would stop thinking I am worried about everyone else, I am merely trying to maybe get a few people to see it too. It may be lower calories, or more, or the same, everyone is different. I was just inspired by a man who posted about burning over 2000 calories swimming...and I have seen so many like this before...just trying to say it in a more spread out way. So sorry so many of you are walling up into tanks and need to gun me down.
  • shimewazaMan
    shimewazaMan Posts: 413
    Options
    Thanks for posting L. I know I fell into this trap. For a while I was eating back all the calories that MFP had reported that I had burned and I stayed on a plateau that whole time. I started eating back only 20% of the calories burned and started taking off weight again. I really need to get one of the HRM's. Does anyone have a recommendation on a good one?
  • fatgirlslove
    fatgirlslove Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I'm at a point where I don't think the #s matter that much. The fact that you got up, exercised and went as hard as you could is what matters. I don't really trust my Polar.
  • lil_bear0811
    Options
    HRMs are a different story, I agree...its the people that say they burned 600 calories walking for 30 minutes and Im like...WHAAAATTT?!! Lol

If someone is overweight, out of shape, and just starting a workout program, they could be burning 600 in 30.

How does it hurt you?

^^^ This.

Amen!

You go with your method. Leave other people to theirs. If it's working for them, why does it matter to you? And if it stops working for them, they'll likely change what they're doing, and again, it shouldn't matter to you.
  • scottstephens79
    scottstephens79 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have a new Polar F7 HRM and when I enter the numbers from working out they pretty much line up with what MFP calculators guess. Only in jogging do I actually burn more and have to log more jogging time than I actually did.

Gah, dumb auto-correct changed a word on me.
  • souperficial
    souperficial Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'll believe the elliptical I use at the gym at school, since it lets me put in my age and weight. My elliptical at home, on the other hand, will tell me I've burned 800 calories in 35 minutes. I don't think so. Personally, I log what mfp says, but I only eat about half of my exercise calories.
  • tlamarch
    tlamarch Posts: 105
    Options
    The important question is why are YOU so concerned? If you know whats working for you..then you should keep doing what works for you. But to put a whole post up because you "see" people on MFP putting what you deem "exaggerated" calorie burnt amounts is a bit sad. How do you know they aren't using HRMs?, How do you know that they don't weigh more than you? Everyone is different, learn to use constructive criticism or hold your tongue.
    well said.......this place is about being positive and helping others say positive till we are reach our goal, why be neg. about what others are doing. live and let live........dont waste your time stressing on what other people do
  • RuthieCass
    RuthieCass Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    www.healthstatus.com

Well it has "health" in the site name so it must be accurate.
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    To the op,

Why not be supportive of people that are just learning and making these errors? Take the time out of your day to support and encourage them personally and let them know that they might be making a legitimate mistake. It's a way more positive way to focus your energy. The worst that can happen is they can ignore you, but at least you tried.

Making a post like this really is pointless if they person you are concerned about doesn't read it!
  • Jewels_Ka
    Jewels_Ka Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting L. I know I fell into this trap. For a while I was eating back all the calories that MFP had reported that I had burned and I stayed on a plateau that whole time. I started eating back only 20% of the calories burned and started taking off weight again. I really need to get one of the HRM's. Does anyone have a recommendation on a good one?

I have MIO. I like it but the dam battery keeps on dying. So NOT MIO - i am considering switching....
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor that always tells me I burned more than MFP says. But I don't necessarily trust that, either. Especially since I'm sure my heartrate is spiked up pretty good on caffeine.

Right now it's not an issue, since working out isn't possible at the moment, but during the Winter, I tried to leave a calorie cushion sometimes, and this Winter, I'm not only going to do that, I'm going to not eat it back at all unless I'm actually hungry.
  • BronnersHarris
    BronnersHarris Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    You guys can't keep going off the numbers in MFP, nor what your elliptical/spin/treadmills say. If you went on the elliptical for an hour, as I do (level 17/20), and it says you burned 1200 calories...chances are you most likely did half. In the end isn't it better to underestimate it and NOT eat back those hard earned calories. Just sayin'....

Level 17/20 for an hour?!?! That's insane. I'd actually die after that.