The men who made us fat

Options
Anyone out there watch the BBC documentary 'the men who made us fat'?

Replies

• yogsvr4
    yogsvr4 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Nope.

My overeating and sitting my *kitten* on the couch is what made me fat. Since nobody held me down and shoved food into my mouth, I won't watch anything that points blame at anyone else.
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    When was this on?
  • debilang
    debilang Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    LOL...no...but the topic sounds interesting :):) (Sorry....but NOT)... :laugh:
  • ravenclawseekergirl
    ravenclawseekergirl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    It was on BBC 2 on the 14.6.12 at 9pm
    It's not really pointing the finger.. The first episode is about the invention of high fructose corn syrup and other new foods eg. frozen foods, but it focuses more on the cultural changes in the world around food. Such as snacking and eating more pre-prepared food. Also about how there are a lot of us that have no idea about food and what is in it. There is also some science in it, about the physical and mental affects on the body. I think that it was pretty well rounded. (is not good at explaining it)
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    wtf?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'll have to see if I can find a streaming version (don't get the BBC on this side of the pond)

But I see"the man who made me fat" every time I look in the mirror......:tongue:
  • Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    It was an interesting program & I can see how it changed the way society looked at food but as for me, I got fat by eating too much!! Mine was not McD either! Hate the stuff! http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01jxzv8/The_Men_Who_Made_Us_Fat_Episode_1/
    for those in the UK!!
  • fiona2785
    fiona2785 Posts: 82
    Options
    Nope.

My overeating and sitting my *kitten* on the couch is what made me fat. Since nobody held me down and shoved food into my mouth, I won't watch anything that points blame at anyone else.

^^^This. From what you said it sounds like it could have been interesting, but the title would put me off too.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Some men contributed to my weight gain. Like Uncle Ben and Chef Boyardee. But so did Mrs Butterworth and Auntie Anne.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I don't blame any men for making us fat, I blame the feminists.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    The title is just a little provocative. I somehow doubt it's really about shifting responsibility. It's like reading a news headline that isn't quite accurate even though the article is.
  • usernamekelly1
    usernamekelly1 Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I'll just go and watch it on the iplayer.....
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    popeye's, papa john's. ben and jerry for me
  • schninie82
    schninie82 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Sounds good actually, i did laugh at the title tho, I'll look our for it...cheers for the heads up, I love watching health/food/exercise-related TV programs..
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    A lovely guy named Jack Daniels significantly contributed to me getting fat.
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I thought this was gonna be about husbands, I blame him (and Jose cuervo)
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    A lovely guy named Jack Daniels significantly contributed to me getting fat.

If you see him around, would you please remind him he owes me $25 and I'd like my dignity back, thank you.
  • temp666777
    temp666777 Posts: 169
    Options
    That is a GREAT explanation. Thanks!

Sounds like a great show, I'll look for it based on your summary.
  • psiren28
    psiren28 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    It was on BBC 2 on the 14.6.12 at 9pm
    It's not really pointing the finger.. The first episode is about the invention of high fructose corn syrup and other new foods eg. frozen foods, but it focuses more on the cultural changes in the world around food. Such as snacking and eating more pre-prepared food. Also about how there are a lot of us that have no idea about food and what is in it. There is also some science in it, about the physical and mental affects on the body. I think that it was pretty well rounded. (is not good at explaining it)

You explained it fine. I thought it was interesting especially the bits about inventing 'snacks'. I always thought the milky way tag line was weird 'The sweet you can eat between meals without ruining your appetite' Basically add some calories and still be hungry. The whole thing about not ruining your appetite for dinner was sound when I was a kid, it meant don't fill up on crap then be too full to eat the decent stuff your mum makes, in comes milky way and voila, it's perfectly acceptable to give your kids chocolate every day because it won't fill them up. Something not right about that.

It was a good documentary, not laying blame on others but showing how people can easily be sucked into an unhealthy lifestyle by marketing and misinformation.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    It's sounds interesting. Hopefully, it'll pop up on Netflix or Hulu or something.