Gun for conceal / carry

Options

Replies

• Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    You 'mericans are lucky to even have the choice to CC. Up here in ultra-liberal hell called Canada, I practically have to beg to simply own a gun, and having to transport it to a gun range is another bend-over session.

I recently got a S&W M&P9 and love it. Also have an older .22 revolver, but that's more of a nostalgia piece.

Yup, and our rates of gun deaths in Canada are less than 1/2 per 100,000 than our American friends, and our homicide rate is 1/5th of the US. I'll take the nanny state regulation of firearms over the debate on conceal or not conceal any day. You are always free to move south.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

The gun death rate and homicide rate may be higher in America, but it is NOT because of the legal CC firearm owners. If you disarm America, only the bad guys will have guns. Now that is a scary thought! I would rather be safe than sorry.
  • k9hrd
    k9hrd Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I work some cold case homicide and serve papers. y picture is my Beretta, she is my early warning system and cadaver dog. I carry a Bersa model 83, 380 cal. I really like it. It is easy to shoot and easy to clean, breaks down into only 3 parts. My son works at a gun shop and I rely on him for guidance.
  • lelstar
    lelstar Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    At the risk of being told to butt out I have noticed that there is this huge culture difference between America and Australia in regards to guns! Now I'm a country girl so I appreciate guns, I've been shooting (although only with various rifles) and I was even at the gun debate when all the laws were changed here. I didn't agree with them then and I do recall someone asking me lots of questions to make sure I knew what I was talking about cos I was only 12 or so, I said making guns illegal just means that criminals will get them on the black market or use knives etc instead. In the places I have lived I have never felt the need to carry a gun, I've known to avoid some places at night and I usually have something heavy enough to hit someone over the head but not a gun. Is the crime rate in America higher than Australia? What do the less experienced people carry? Is it easy to find places to learn about using and maintaining your guns - not just books and the people who sell them?
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    This is what I carry, a little Taurus snub nose 38 special. It's light, holds five and packs a punch. :smile:

1339764279091.jpg

That looks like the one I just bought for my hubby. We both carry a Taurus .357 Mag. I also have snake shot for it. We live way out in the sticks and have plenty of rattlesnakes. We also are the Meth capitol of Colorado. That is why I carry!
  • H8T3D
    H8T3D Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    1. h&k 45 usp compact
    2. Glock 19
    4. S&W 38 snub nose airweight
  • harristim88
    Options
    New Jersey adopted what sponsors described as "the most stringent gun law" in the nation in 1966; two years later the murder rate was up 46% and the reported robbery rate had nearly doubled.
    In 1968, Hawaii imposed a series of increasingly harsh measures and its murder rate tripled from a low of 2.4 per 100,000 in 1968 to 7.2 by 1977.
    In 1976, Washington, D.C. enacted one of the most restrictive gun control laws in the nation. Since then, the city's murder rate has risen 134% while the national murder rate has dropped 2%.
    Don't forget Chicago!!!

i live in chicago. i am a police officer and im telling you i would not go anywhere in this city without my weapon. period
  • Salasel
    Salasel Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I cant stress enough get trained properly on the use of what ever weapon you choose. when you decided to carry it takes the use of fire arms to a whole knew leval. Contact the NRA and you should be able to get pointed in the direction of quality tactical training. Just because you know how to clean and clear the weapon does not nessarly mean you can carry safely Add the stress of having to defend your self or a loved one and the training has to be commited to muscle memory.

H&K USP 40 Compact: I have big hands so the H&K's full size grips are nice also the weapon is very reliable.

Good luck be safe and Train Train and Train some more!

Edward
  • harristim88
    Options
    I cant stress enough get trained properly on the use of what ever weapon you choose. when you decided to carry it takes the use of fire arms to a whole knew leval. Contact the NRA and you should be able to get pointed in the direction of quality tactical training. Just because you know how to clean and clear the weapon does not nessarly mean you can carry safely Add the stress of having to defend your self or a loved one and the training has to be commited to muscle memory.

H&K USP 40 Compact: I have big hands so the H&K's full size grips are nice also the weapon is very reliable.

Good luck be safe and Train Train and Train some more!

Edward

i strongly 2nd this! you can never train enough! i also train a lot on attacking dogs a lot of people dont know how hard it would be to defend yourself from a dog that is sprinting to attack you i tie some string on a 2 liter pop bottle and have a buddy pull it between my legs at me and i practice drawing my weapon and firing at it. i train in many diff situations that i have heard of happening or could happen also
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Lots of great advice and quality weapons mentioned here. Just a couple of observation I have made.
    Yes; make sure the weapon you choose is comfortable for you
    Yes; make sure you train with the weapon you are going to carry and the holster you are going to carry it in, I have assisted
    instructed in NRA home defense and Concealed Carry classes and have not seen a person be able to comfortable draw
    from Bra; Thunderwear; Fanny packs or the Portfolio/Briefcase holsters. So consider not only the type of gun you are going to
    carry but the holster.
    Yes; a good concealed weapon will not have a lot of bells and whistles and I recommend that unless you are going to train
    consistently avoid overly complicated safeties. Also avoid exposed hammers as they can get caught on clothing while
    drawing.
    For work my Back-up Gun {BUG} is always the same and in the same location. However off work I have several that I will carry and various locations depending on the season and attire I am in. I have also spent time with each weapon and trained.
    Kel-Tec and Glock both put out good products IMO; you will need to decide on the caliber, large caliber make big holes; smaller calibers bounce around and make multiple holes.
    Lastly ammunition you are going to use in your weapon is not the place to be thrifty on.
  • sazzyp1973
    sazzyp1973 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Why would you carry? Why do you feel the need?

This.

also this! Can't and wouldn't in the UK. Get a water pistol. Less dangerous!
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    why do you need a gun???
  • obeserat
    obeserat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Never saw the need to carry a gun, obviously here in England its illegal to carry one. I never had one in the 20 years I lived in Johannesburg in South Africa cant understand why you think its necessary carry one ?
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Why do you need a fire extinguisher, you can call the Fire department if theres a fire...?

Its a tool to help in a situation you hope will never happen.

The gun you should carry is the one you trained with and can shoot accurately, comfortably and reliably.
  • obeserat
    Options
    Why do you need a fire extinguisher, you can call the Fire department if theres a fire...?

The gun you should carry is the one you trained with and can shoot accurately, comfortably and reliably.

A gun doesn't help anyone just kills people.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

My *kitten*.

It would help my kids keep their FATHER in the case that he's attacked by a criminal. Or their LIVES in the case that that criminal is intent on carjacking. They don't exactly wait for you to unbuckle your children from car seats around here.

Pure, unadulterated ignorance...I'm sorry.
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options

Actually people kill people, with various tools. You find me a gun capable of thought and self awareness and you'd prove me wrong
  • twinoakbob
    twinoakbob Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Replying without having read all the responses (so there may be some duplication).

1. There is no right answer. Only the best answer for you. My best answer is different than yours.
    2. Pick a gun / caliber that you are comfortable with. Train with this gun as much as possible.
    3. If you need help making a decision, check with your local gun shop / range - they may offer a try it before you buy it option, rental program (for range use only to test out various options) or hold Manufacturer day events that allow you to try out their products for free.
    4. Don't buy a gun based only upon recommendations. Use those recommendations as information to choose which weapons you wish to try.
    5. Practice. Practice. Practice.

With all this said, my choice of carry is Kimber Pro Carry II. Spendy but worth it.
  • harristim88
    Options
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

are you freaking crazy? maybe when i gear up to go to work tomorrow ill just throw a squirt gun in my holster and hope the drug dealer or whoever i am looking to arrest that day doesn't kill me. were already out gunned the way it is on the streets.

or you know maybe the next time the marine corp deploys me to a-stan or other combat zone they can issue me some rocks im sure that would work great! haha maybe im over reacting but for me my weapon has saved my life or life of my friends family and coworkers many times here or in a combat zone.
  • obeserat
    Options
    New Jersey adopted what sponsors described as "the most stringent gun law" in the nation in 1966; two years later the murder rate was up 46% and the reported robbery rate had nearly doubled.
    In 1968, Hawaii imposed a series of increasingly harsh measures and its murder rate tripled from a low of 2.4 per 100,000 in 1968 to 7.2 by 1977.
    In 1976, Washington, D.C. enacted one of the most restrictive gun control laws in the nation. Since then, the city's murder rate has risen 134% while the national murder rate has dropped 2%.
    Don't forget Chicago!!!

i live in chicago. i am a police officer and im telling you i would not go anywhere in this city without my weapon. period

That is the whole problem right there guns being legal and police carrying guns
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Don't forget Chicago!!!

That is the whole problem right there guns being legal and police carrying guns

I'm convinced this person is a troll.

I mean, I know that we shouldn't be armed. That's lunacy!! Neither should the police!

Just the criminals.

Again, ignorant, asinine statements.
This discussion has been closed.