Told my mum i'm thinking of loosing weight...

Options
She went out and brought this, supportive :grumble: !

k0ms78.jpg

Replies

• TheSlimWithin
    Options
    Lowercase the IMG, and it should work. :)
  • Minnie92x
    Minnie92x Posts: 107
    Options
    Lowercase the IMG, and it should work. :)

You babe! Thanks :D xx
  • TheSlimWithin
    Options
    No problem! :bigsmile:

And what is that all about, I thought I was struggling with a load of tiny peanut butter cups in the fridge. D: But that's just unfair!
  • Minnie92x
    Options
    Tell me about it! No one else eats it, so it just stares at me.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I think that parents sometimes get scared when their children want to lose weight. I'm not sure why - it's just an overall impression from reading the forums. If she's not going to eat it, stick it in the freezer and tell her you don't want it handy, lying about. If it's in the freezer, it minimally has to thaw before you can eat it. Maybe that will help you abstain and get the point across.
  • PShep17
    PShep17 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Aww poor show Mother! That's tough. How much will-power have you got?
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Here is a novel idea. Buy your own food.
  • audreygonzy
    audreygonzy Posts: 169
    Options
    HATE when that happens. My boy and the women I work with are the biggest culprits! I now have a Big Texas Cinnamon Roll staring at me as my 'reward' for good grades. :grumble:
  • Minnie92x
    Options

Thanks for your novel idea, very useful to me.
  • pg3ibew
    Options

Thanks for your novel idea, very useful to me.

No one is going to help you but you.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Your mom probably feels threatened by your wanting to be fit. If I were you I wouldn't even mention it to her again, just quietly mind your diet and quietly go about your exercise. When she offers you/buys you junk, just say No thank you and leave it at that.
  • nattielove
    nattielove Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    People on the forums can help with legitimate advice, Pg3lbew.
  • clairyfairy247
    clairyfairy247 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain completely!! My mum is exactly the same. And I may have reached a breakthrough in the situation!
    My mum is a bit of a health freak but like everybody she falls off the wagon now and again.
    Today she brought out a big pack of biscuits and everytime she ate one, she tried to make me eat one.
    When I asked her why she was trying to forcefeed me she said "if you overeat, it makes me feel less guilty when I overeat".

She doesn't want to feel like a failure.
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    take it back to store get money back on it. Save money up to give back to your mom later. Or throw it away. No one really needs it. If she asks then say I ate it.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Your mom probably feels threatened by your wanting to be fit.

Yeah why is that? My mum loves me to bits and couldn't do enough for me...... but HATES it when I go to the gym, gets cross when I refuse a cream cake and positively refuses to listen to my 'healthy weight' goals???
  • pg3ibew
    Options
    People on the forums can help with legitimate advice, Pg3lbew.

???
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Did anyone just think maybe she wants to grumble a bit about her mum not being supportive? I'm sure she can make her own decisions about what she is going to eat and if she wants to go buy her own groceries, etc. :)

I'm sorry OP that your mum is not being supportive. :( That really sucks.

Someone mentioned that parents freak when their children want to lose weight. I think it has to do with the fact that most parents do not like their children to feel badly about themselves and think that the motivation to lose weight comes from an unhappy place. I know that my parents tend to feel guilty if they think that something they did in raising me, or they contributed to, makes me feel poorly later on.

She just might be trying to reinforce that you are perfect the way you are and are free to love yourself (and thus can eat whatever you want), and not really trying to sabotage if that makes sense? Maybe you can sit her down and explain that you are not unhappy with how you are, but you'd like to improve your health and wellness. :) That might help ease her fears if that is where they are coming from.

Luckily, my mum and dad are very supportive and buy me my own groceries separate from the family, if they are the ones that go shopping (I often go myself). They ask me if I am low on any of my healthy staples and my dad even reads labels and tries to bring me new stuff home. :) I don't know how I would handle them if they were doing the opposite of that :/ It must be hard.
  • wantstolooseweight
    wantstolooseweight Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Try having a chat to her, ask her if she minds you putting the cake in the freezer so it doesnt go off and you can enjoy it slice at a time, or take it to share with mates so you don't end up binging on it. .... if the worst comes to the worst ask her for a shelf in the fridge and to give you an allowance every week for food, then do your own cooking and meals. Its hard but it might make her realise that your more in control than she realises :( good luck and hope you manage to resist all the temptation she is giving!
  • Minnie92x
    Options
    Thanks for all the positive responses. Yes, I should be extremely grateful that my parents buy me food however I can't afford to buy my own. So I have to eat what they buy me, so thats not an option.

Next time I just won't mention the diet :D
  • Minnie92x
    Options
    Your mom probably feels threatened by your wanting to be fit.

Yeah why is that? My mum loves me to bits and couldn't do enough for me...... but HATES it when I go to the gym, gets cross when I refuse a cream cake and positively refuses to listen to my 'healthy weight' goals???

This is my mum!