Gun for conceal / carry

Options

Replies

• crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    New Jersey adopted what sponsors described as "the most stringent gun law" in the nation in 1966; two years later the murder rate was up 46% and the reported robbery rate had nearly doubled.
    In 1968, Hawaii imposed a series of increasingly harsh measures and its murder rate tripled from a low of 2.4 per 100,000 in 1968 to 7.2 by 1977.
    In 1976, Washington, D.C. enacted one of the most restrictive gun control laws in the nation. Since then, the city's murder rate has risen 134% while the national murder rate has dropped 2%.
    Don't forget Chicago!!!

i live in chicago. i am a police officer and im telling you i would not go anywhere in this city without my weapon. period

That is the whole problem right there guns being legal and police carrying guns

I'm convinced this person is a troll.

I mean, I know that we shouldn't be armed. That's lunacy!! Neither should the police!

Just the criminals.

Again, ignorant, asinine statements.
  • twinoakbob
    twinoakbob Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Forgot one sage bit of wisdom.

Before you figure out what gun or caliber, you should figure out what is the most comfortable / efficient way for you to carry. That may influence the other choices.
  • obeserat
    obeserat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Our police don't carry guns , except in exceptional circumstances . I've lived in cities with serious gun crime in South Africa but never saw the point in carrying a gun . I also don't think this is the place to discuss it
  • Wpbarr
    Wpbarr Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Which ever one fits your hand and the one you will actually carry all day long! You want an automatic with a rail. They carry more bullets, are trivial to re-load quickly and you can easily mount a laser. Under stress, even with lots and lots of practice, you will forget how to aim properly. Buy a laser ... and an expensive, comfortable holster (I'd recommend something that is shirt-tuckable, like a Crossbreed).

9mm hollow-point will stop any human. If you are concerned about penetration factors, alternate the load of the magazine with FMJ, JHP, FMJ, JHP, etc. It's also the cheapest practice round to buy, which means you can afford to practice more. As for size, just about any handgun can be concealed with any 2-piece outfit of clothing. However, I chose a compact (CZ P01) because it's large enough to easily control, lighter to carry, the sight radius is still very good and is just a bit easier to conceal. It was also less expensive than the H&K P30 and for me, more accurate. I found sub-compacts to be painful to practice with.

As for brands/models, if armies or cops don't buy them, I'm not betting my life on it, either. Beretta, Browning, CZ, FNH, H&K, Glock, S&W M&P, Sig-Sauer, Walther. No matter what, try before you buy! For me, it takes a box of ammo to get a decent idea of how a pistol performs for me.

I highly recommend this article: http://www.corneredcat.com/Trying_On_a_Handgun/
  • harristim88
    Options
    deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall. You need me on that wall.
    We use words like honor, code, loyalty...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent defending something. You use 'em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to!

haha idk why but i just thought of this part of a few good men while reading some of these posts
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    my bro likes to use a .38 s&w airweight revolver as his backup. i have one of these too. i dont C&C but it weighs about the same as my little 22 and shoots beautifully. its one of my main house defense weapons.
  • DataBased
    DataBased Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Love this thread - OP, thanks for posting. Making my Christmas list from what I learn here.

:flowerforyou:
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I'm leaning towards a small 9... like a S&W 5906.. I don't really like 380's, and my favorite gun is a bit too heavy to carry. If you find a good one, let ME know. :smile:
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall. You need me on that wall.
    We use words like honor, code, loyalty...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent defending something. You use 'em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to!

haha idk why but i just thought of this part of a few good men while reading some of these posts

Amen!!!
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options

Amen!!!

There is a line earlier in the movie where Cruise and Moore first meet Nicholson in Cuba. I wish I could remember the line verbatim but Nickleson tells them that just over the wall there are men who at any moment will shoot the good men who are standing that wall.
  • spearfox
    spearfox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Nice to see all the recommendations for the Kel-Tec P-3AT.
    I unfortunately own its earlier dysfunctional cousin, Grendel P-12. Due to a broken hammer spring it might serve as a decent paper weight now.
  • BigH80
    BigH80 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I own Springfield XDM one in .40 caliber and on in 9mm. However i wouldnt recommend a ful frame pistol for concealed carry. There are alot of good subcompacts that will fit your needs perfectly but as far as brand thats a ford/chevy debate. i personally like springfield glock and sig sauer.
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Our police don't carry guns , except in exceptional circumstances . I've lived in cities with serious gun crime in South Africa but never saw the point in carrying a gun . I also don't think this is the place to discuss it

If you didn't think this was the place to discuss your anti-gun opinions than you should have stayed out of the thread. The great thing about all of this is that no one forces YOU to carry a gun. It is a choice. More people carry than you realize. I know this because my husband is a gun dealer. And lives are saved all the time when non-criminals have a gun on them. My own husband had his gun in his pocket just to go check the mail last summer and a large dog came out of the woods and went for my husband at full force with teeth out. He saved himself by firing a couple of warning shots into the ground and his next shot was going to be for the dogs head (and he would not have missed) if the owner didn't drive up at that moment and yelled out. If he had not had that gun my husband would have been majorly injured.
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options

If you didn't think this was the place to discuss your anti-gun opinions than you should have stayed out of the thread. The great thing about all of this is that no one forces YOU to carry a gun. It is a choice. More people carry than you realize. I know this because my husband is a gun dealer. And lives are saved all the time when non-criminals have a gun on them. My own husband had his gun in his pocket just to go check the mail last summer and a large dog came out of the woods and went for my husband at full force with teeth out. He saved himself by firing a couple of warning shots into the ground and his next shot was going to be for the dogs head (and he would not have missed) if the owner didn't drive up at that moment and yelled out. If he had not had that gun my husband would have been majorly injured.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    There are so many options I am seeking all of the input I can get.

1) Revolver or semi-auto pistol?
    2) Caliber?
    3) Brands?

So, I plan to carry some, so I want it to be easily hidden and comfortable. I am a pretty good shot, so I'm guessing caliber isn't too important? I mean, I don't want a .22 or anything, but a .357 might be overkill.
    I also want something easy to disassemble and clean. My Ruger Mark III was a ***** to work with because of all of it's "safety" features. That's why I sold it last year.

Thanks to all of you for the help. I am building a Google Doc from conversations had here, on facebook, email, in person, etc so I can really narrow it down to 3-4 guns so I'm not stabbing in the dark when I go shopping.

I just wanted to point out that persons who wish to invest in firearms typically don't do much "stabbing" in darkness or otherwise.

Thank you. That is all.
  • psmith_five
    psmith_five Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Glock 19 is a good choice if you dont mind a 9mm. I'm assuming you're wanting to carry for self protection in which I've always felt safer with a larger caliber. I prefer .40 or .45 caliber's and used to own a Glock 38 .45 G.A.P. The new Gen 4's are very nice and would suggest a Glock 23 instead of the 19. Also, a 1911 is tried and true for over a century.
  • mbcasey2009
    mbcasey2009 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I've got a Beretta PX4 Storm. And get certified with an automatic. If you certify with a revolver you can only carry a revolver. Automatic certified means you can carry either or.
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Something you can aim and shoot comfortably. (everybody seems to think that the bigger the caliber, the better the gun. Be honest with yourself. If you don't shoot a tight fast group with a .45, there is no shame in a 9mm. Get the RIGHT GUN FOR YOU)

I have a lot of ligament and joint damage in both hands from cage fighting... ok, softball, basketball... but still I have weakened hands unfortunately. So that is good to consider.

I did my CC training with my dad's S&W .38 Special from the 70's. It was a lot for me to handle after 40 rounds. My hand was worn out.

I have a S&W .38 Airweight revolver that I carry. It hurts the **** out of my hand to shoot it though. I do practice with it on occasion at the range so I stay proficient with it. I'm female so it's easier for me to conceal, smaller & lighter but I feel sure it will get the job done. I did get a laser for it as well, just to assist. I also have the Sig 9mm. Love love love that gun, but it is much heavier to carry. It's the one I shoot most when I go to the range but it's heavier and bulkier to carry. I'm an ED nurse and have seen quite a few people come in shot with .22. They usually come in a private vehicle with not a lot of damage. I love shooting a .22, but I don't trust them to STOP someone coming at me. That's why I chose the .38 ( plus it was recommended by PD). DH carries a .380, but it's a lot like the .38 - hurts to shoot d/t the light weight of the gun. Would recommend going to a range that rents guns to experience different ones (or if you are lucky and have a friend with a variety spring for ammo and talk them into taking you to a range).
  • kgb6days
    Options
    I'm so jealous :( You can't carry a gun in NYC :sad:

I'd have to move ;-)
  • kgb6days
    Options
    just curious: Why would a person feel the need to carry a concealed weapon? It's such a foreign concept to me. I realize that people will probably be upset by my questioning it but I just do not get it.

Do you fear attack all the time?

In the space of 6 months I was almost kidnapped by 2 men (who later that same day DID kidnap another woman), my house and motorhome were broken into when I was home alone. I will not be a victim. It is not the police department's responsibility to assure I am safe every moment of every day. I am responsible for that.
This discussion has been closed.