Who here has a cheat day once a week?

Options

Replies

• Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    DO NOT do cheat days!

Anybody telling you that they are OK or permissable is lying. Every bit of food you put in your mouth matters. If you put in junk, even just a little, it is setting you back and slowing your progress.

When you eat, ask yourself, "is this food helping, or hurting, my progress towards my goal"?

Just looked at your profile.....You're a beachbody coach........It's cool. I can just ignore anything else you say.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Nope ....a cheat day, I would never lose any weight!! I might trat my self to a bowl of popcorn once a week or something like that. I still have to have enough calories to have it!!
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522
    Options
    Yup.
    I record it too.
  • raindance_maggie
    Options
    I always have a cheat meal once a week without fail, and for a few of very good reasons which may or may not be applicable to everyone.
    1. I am on an EXTREME calorie deficit, and I would need to be eating an excess of 8000 calories to undo my weeks work.
    2. It replaces my glycogen in my muscles and boosts my metabolism for the coming week.
    3. Towards the end of the week i begin to feel very fatigued and this gives me the boost I need.
    4. Without it to look forward to I would not be able to keep to my diet, (although this probably says more about me than cheat days themselves)

And finally the reason I do not simply have cheat meal or even try to control my cheat days, and that is because when my cheat day does finally roll around my body needs the nutrition (or at least it feels that way, if you can barely hold a conversation). And if I only had a meal I KNOW that I would no be able to stop.... And I would probably go off my diet for a week (which would harm your results :L) rather than just a day.

this is a damn shame...an absolute trainwreck waiting to happen...
  • deniselynn13
    deniselynn13 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I used to have a cheat day once a week. Then i changed to a scheduled cheat meal once a week. Fortunately, or unfortunately depending on how you want to look at it, my body is so accustomed to eating clean, i got very physically sick :sick: the last two cheat meals. "Bad" food doesn't even taste good to me anymore, nor do i crave it. I will have the occassional drink, but i am sure to work my *kitten* off working out to allow for that. I have consistently lost week to week and am very happy to not cheat. I am sure if the time came for a "treat", i could allow myself knowing full well that i will continue to eat clean 90% of the time.

I completely subscribe to the 90/10 rule 0 eat clean 90% of the time and the other 10% eat as you wish!

But, to each his own and whatever works for me might not work for someone else. You have to do what you are able to and what you will stick with!

Congrats on your weight loss thus far!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • DollyMiel
    DollyMiel Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want and I do it in moderation, so I still stay under my limit because I don't overdo it and I exercise. And when I do go over, I don't beat myself up for it. The #1 priority is the way I think about it and think about myself. Enjoy your life and enjoy your food. Don't punish yourself—it's the greatest way to set yourself up for failure.

So yes, I 'cheat' every day, and f--k anyone who says you can't. It's your body and your life.
  • Tricialew32
    Tricialew32 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    They happen. I don't really plan them...except for today, I KNOW I'm going to eat spicy boiled crawfish and I KNOW I won't stop until they are either gone or I fall over. Also...I don't really care for or drink much alcohol....except when I eat crawfish which for me requires at least 1 Abita Light.

I've seen people schedule cheat days or meals and it helps keep them happy and motivated....like they earn it if they behave the rest of the time.

I usually indulge only on special occasions (I may or may not make up occasions!) and I'm not going to let putting those bad things into my body for a few hours destroy all my work, self confidence or my momentum.
  • krissyliz78
    krissyliz78 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I have my sanity day on Sundays. I dont overeat bc then I will hate myself for doing it. I just dont logg my calories. I prob only go over a couple hundred calories BUT it makes me happy!!!
  • TravisBurns
    TravisBurns Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    It's fine to do. I've lost 80 pounds have very frequent cheat days. But even on my cheat days i'll log what I ate. If I have too much sodium for example in a cheat day, i'll be taking it easy on sodium for the rest of the week. The most I ever went over on a cheat day was about 1000 calories. If you don't go ape**** with it you'll probably just burn off your cheat day naturally.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    DO NOT do cheat days!

Anybody telling you that they are OK or permissable is lying. Every bit of food you put in your mouth matters. If you put in junk, even just a little, it is setting you back and slowing your progress.

When you eat, ask yourself, "is this food helping, or hurting, my progress towards my goal"?

Yes! Being hot is WAY more important than enjoying food and life! Whew. Thanks for clearing that up!

OR- you can eat mostly healthy and incorporate some junk in a balanced way that allows you to continue to participate in society, not feel bloated or over stuffed, and still be generally healthy.
  • thepanttherlady
    thepanttherlady Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Bumping this cause just undid all week's work in one day :( went over 636 yesterday and drank too much wine Friday. Still under weekly goal by 13 calories, so..

Just wondering how you "undid all week's work" when you were under goal for the week? MFP already calculates the deficit you need to lose weight so if you were under your weekly calorie goal, you were still at a deficit.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I used to allow myself a treat everyday but every since the 2 month plateau, I have been more strict.

Now, instead of a 300 calorie treat, I allow myself a 50 to 100 calorie treat and staying within the 1200calorie range.
  • saraya12
    saraya12 Posts: 13
    Options
    IMHO . . . If you go into a weight loss or management program thinking you can never have another cookie, you are defeated before you start. You must allow some room for those things in moderation. If you know you can have two or three Oreo cookies on Friday, you are less likely to feel overwhelmed and cram in fourteen on Thursday.

This is my opinion too. If I tried to stop all of that cold turkey, I'd give up as soon as a craving hit. Moderation is the key to being successful long-term. I'll still eat chips, cookies, and ice cream. I just eat a whole lot less of it than I did before I started tracking. That's been the key motivating factor for me to even exercise some days-- I want to have some calories to spare for an ice cream treat later on without going over! I'm confident I will still lose weight just because I eat so much less now that I'm aware of how many calories are in everything.
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    I have a good cheat day at least once a fortnight...I log everything i eat..Don`t feel guilty about it...and still continue to lose weight..And i`ve been doing this for over 2 years..

I suppose it all depends on your willpower..
  • ball858
    ball858 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day every Saturday, but I ensure that I burn plenty of calories.

I still log everything, so that I dont over indulge too much!

BUT I didn't start having cheat days until I was 6 months in - I can easily bounce back into heathy
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I eat ice cream almost daily :blushing:

That's my indulgence also :devil:
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I do once a week although mine usually ends up being a meal.

I live 60 miles from town and Friday's we usually go in for groceries and to have a change in location and we don't get back until 11-midnight and we won't wait that long to cook dinner. That's the day we go out to eat.

I make much better choices then I used to and no longer feel like I need to eat everything on my plate. I have done this since the beginning and it hasn't affected my progress.

But, on those days, I still have my normal breakfast and lunch and the next day I am always back at it!
  • vklebanova
    vklebanova Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I have never done a cheat day and never will. You can undo a whole week in just one day. In my opinion, it's a bad idea and a bad habit to get into. I definitely do cheat meals once every couple of weeks. There is only so much damage you can do in one meal.

^^ agreed. I'm afraid to have a cheat day. It's kinda like smoking: I quit 4 years ago and I know that if I cheat- it's all out the window. :noway:

Great analogy - totally agree. You either eat healthy or you don't.... eating healthy "sometimes" but then overfilling your body with junk sporadically can only be bad.. I think so anyway.. kind of scared to have a cheat day for this reason. I have to admit though, I work ice cream and chocolate into my calories when I want to have it.
  • Racaronga
    Racaronga Posts: 32
    Options
    I have a 'naughty day'...... still log what I eat and don't go mad. For me rather than eating loads of cals, it's more about having food I don't normally have, like bread. It's keeps me going in the week and also stops that rebellion feeling I sometimes get (i.e. as soon as you say you can't have something you crave like you never have before). I actually find that I'm better in the week overall if I have a naughty day as in the moment that I feel 'naughty' I think I'll save that thought / craving until my naughty day and by the time it comes I've forgotten all about it!
  • tugers2
    tugers2 Posts: 139
    Options
    once ever two weeks