How tacky is this? Vow Renewal / Giant Party

Options

Replies

• zoegator
    zoegator Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Not tacky! Celebrate your marriage with your family and friends! As well as celebrating your (hopefully doing better) daughter's health!
  • faithstephenson
    faithstephenson Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    It is not tacky at all! Go for it:) if they don't want to be a part of it, so be it, but plenty of people do this kind of thing, when either they didn't get to do the big ceremony in the beginning, or they've gotten through some really tough times, and want to acknlowledge their journey.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    Quick Background :

Hubby and I were supposed to get married in February 2007. Three weeks beffore the wedding, our daughter needed emergency heart surgery. We canceled the wedding with just 2 weeks to go. We didn't want to get married if she was dead, dying, or in the hospital. A few weeks later, we had a quickie no-guests-legal marriage. No one sent gifts or checks. We didn't register anywhere. We told everyone we'd have the reception during the summer.

Almost five years have gone by - for a long time, our daughter was too sick for us to think about throwing a party. People are STILL asking us when we get to have our " wedding ". Now that our anniversary is approaching, we have been thinking about doing a vow renewal / giant party.... basically a night of dinner and dancing.

No wedding dress. No wedding party. No gifts. Just a 10 minute " ceremony " where we exchange public vows, then a fancy, formal dinner & dancing, degenerating into drunken splendor.

Someone told me that it's tacky to have any sort of anniversary party, reception, vow renewal, etc. We aren't doing this as a re-do. We aren't asking for gifts. All we are asking is that our friends / family get to celebrate with us.

Thoughts?

My wedding gift to you:

Step 1: Stop giving a *kitten* what people think.
    Step 2: Repeat Step 1.

Now go party.

Somehow, I knew this was a post from you. Probably because it's the same thing you've posted on every thread I've seen you on. Maybe you should write a book with this being the thesis, maybe make some money off of it.
  • angelicarubi
    angelicarubi Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Not tacky at all.... go for it and have a blast you deserve it and so does your family sounds iike you have all been through so much.
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I don't see how this is tacky at all. Even if you expected gifts, it's a milestone anniversary and you didn't have a wedding/reception the first time anyway. If I was invited, I'd bring a gift whether you said to or not. It sound like you deserve it. But maybe I'm tacky lol
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    It's a beautiful idea and you and your family deserve a celebration!
  • Awake_Alive
    Awake_Alive Posts: 261 Member
    Options

My wedding gift to you:

Now go party.

^^^This for SURE! Do it. Phuck the haters ;)
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Go for it. People in my area do it all the time.
  • CCJ13
    CCJ13 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Not tacky at all. Forget about the ones who say it is tacky & don't invite them ;) I had a wedding but I just got a reception at the church. I would love to do a vow renewal & have a big party. Maybe for my 20th anniversary......
  • starcatcher1975
    starcatcher1975 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    My brother is getting married for the second time and they are having a small ceremony. They are dressing up for it (wedding gown, tux, etc) but on their invitations they put something along the lines of "We are fortunate enough to have everything necessary to start our lives together, so we sincerely request no gifts." This is a second marriage for both of them and they are both established in their careers. If you send out invites/evites/whatever, maybe you can do something like that. Just let people know you just want them to share in your joy, not give you stuff.

I say have a party and have fun and who ever said it was tacky is a little strange. Why is is tacky to celebrate your anniversary and want your friends to join you? I'd leave that person at home, they don't sound fun anyway. But I'm tired, so maybe I missed something. I'll have to read it again :laugh:
  • sparkybruin
    Options
    If you were my friend, I would 100% be looking forward to this party. Not tacky at all!
  • gchutson
    gchutson Posts: 657
    Options
    Quick Background :

Hubby and I were supposed to get married in February 2007. Three weeks beffore the wedding, our daughter needed emergency heart surgery. We canceled the wedding with just 2 weeks to go. We didn't want to get married if she was dead, dying, or in the hospital. A few weeks later, we had a quickie no-guests-legal marriage. No one sent gifts or checks. We didn't register anywhere. We told everyone we'd have the reception during the summer.

Almost five years have gone by - for a long time, our daughter was too sick for us to think about throwing a party. People are STILL asking us when we get to have our " wedding ". Now that our anniversary is approaching, we have been thinking about doing a vow renewal / giant party.... basically a night of dinner and dancing.

No wedding dress. No wedding party. No gifts. Just a 10 minute " ceremony " where we exchange public vows, then a fancy, formal dinner & dancing, degenerating into drunken splendor.

Someone told me that it's tacky to have any sort of anniversary party, reception, vow renewal, etc. We aren't doing this as a re-do. We aren't asking for gifts. All we are asking is that our friends / family get to celebrate with us.

Thoughts?

My wedding gift to you:

Now go party.

Somehow, I knew this was a post from you. Probably because it's the same thing you've posted on every thread I've seen you on. Maybe you should write a book with this being the thesis, maybe make some money off of it.

I'm having it printed on t-shirts. And my left butt cheek.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Not even remotely tacky! I think it's fantastic to celebrate with the people you love! Go for it.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I agree--not tacky at all. Have a wonderful time!
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    It sounds really sweet and fun! That person who called it tacky might just be jealous. Ignore them and have a great time! Congrst! :drinker:
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    The people who believe it's tacky need not be invited...they might have fun at your tacky event and we can't have that now can we? Sheeesh do it have fun and hell no it's not tacky at all.
  • Pamela3
    Pamela3 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's tacky at all and whoever thinks so doesn't need to be there. Clearly, you and your husband have been dealt quite the hand, and you deserve to have the moment that you sacrificed in the name of love and family. If you want to do this, then do it.. Celebrate your love and family with everyone who wants to celebrate it with you.

My husband and I had our wedding, but the beginning of our marriage was very rocky due to undealt with issues. 3 years later and I've wanted to renew our vows simply to have a "re-starting" ground... Sounds weird, but I'm OCD.. LOL

Honestly, do this for you, your husband, your daughter, and your family...and if it turns out not to be something you want to do, than so be it, but don't let someone elses opinion hinder your idea of a good time :)
  • MNguerita
    MNguerita Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I think it is a great idea! People that are your true friends would want to be a part of it i think.
  • AngelsheriHackley
    AngelsheriHackley Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    No that is great it's renewing your vows do it!! Life is too short forget what people say