How tacky is this? Vow Renewal / Giant Party

Options

Replies

• jessicataylor2
    Options
    I don't find it tacky at all! I find vow renewals very romantic and a way to show that you still love each other just as much, if not more, than you did when you were originally married. And especially since you guys never had the chance to celebrate your marriage with friends and family like most do. I think it's a great idea. Congrats on the anniversary and don't let what ignorant, jealous people have to say about what you want to do affect your choices :)
  • suerun11
    suerun11 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have been to 3 of these, to me they are almost in a way more special then a wedding because the couple has already done for better AND WORSE then still chooses to love each other publicly! WONDERFUL IDEA")
  • ahadj
    ahadj Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't wear a poufy white dress, it's not tacky and in fact, you deserve it.
  • Mrs16
    Mrs16 Posts: 86
    Options
    A wonderful idea! Enjoy yourselves!!!!
  • cristaine
    cristaine Posts: 87
    Options
    Nah, why would wanting to finally celebrate something that is important to you both be tacky? Tacky, in my opinion, is suggesting that it would be so, actually.

Celebrate your life the way you want without care to how other people interpret it. Even IF you wanted a big dress, a big attitude, a big party and a big scene =) Who cares? And if they do, WHY?!

Life is short, enjoy it =)
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I think this is a great idea, you are not asking for anything but their presence to enjoy a special evening with you and your husband. I say go for it and enjoy every minute.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I think it's an awesome idea, love the fact you don't want gifts and such, that would be tacky........
  • L_amore
    L_amore Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Who cares what anyone thinks. Your not doing it for them, your doing it for you and your family. And whoever thinks it's tacky, well don't invite them, their loss, not yours. Now get your wedding done with your true friends and family that support you! And forget about the negative nancy's, because half the time their just jealous... so do your thing girl! And don't let anyone change your mind! :)
  • BettyIW
    BettyIW Posts: 103
    Options
    There comes a time in one's life where you just need to say, 'Screw what other people think! Who cares what they think.?' Celebrate your life, your marriage, your family as you desire. Don't give 'them' so much power in your life. Who are 'they' to have so much power in your life?
  • Mceastes
    Mceastes Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Considering the reason you weren't able to have a traditional wedding in the first place, I'm surprised someone would be rude enough to call you tacky for wanting to have a second chance to do it the way you want it. If you were one of my friends or relatives I would absolutely encourage you to do it and would be super happy for you that your daughter is ok and you guys are able to do this now. I think it's totally fine to just put "Please, no gifts" on the invitations as others have suggested. But don't feel like you have to apologize for this event, you guys deserve it as much as any other couple. I'm sure it will mean a lot to your friends and family as well as you, your husband and your daughter to see you have the wedding any bride would want. Enjoy your special day!! :drinker:
  • hoppinglark
    hoppinglark Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I assume that anyone you care enough about to invite, would already know your story.
    So the "problem" takes care of itself.
  • bewitchinglife
    bewitchinglife Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I think you should do whatever your heart desires.

My aunt had a BBQ at her house for friends and family and threw a surprise wedding for herself and her longtime beau. It was a shocker for even her children. Totally fun, and not awkward gift things to worry about.

Do what makes you happy. Hubs and I have thought about doing something similar as we had a private ceremony and wish we had a chance to celebrate with our friends. If people think it's tacky, they don't get it.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    i don't think it is tacky at all. it is your party, you can do whatever you want.
  • emirror
    emirror Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    That sounds lovely!!!! Take lots of pictures!!! :flowerforyou:

And, you know, if you want to start a thread to help you pick out a dress, I'm sure LOTS of us on here would just love to help out. :bigsmile:
  • StrawberrySt
    StrawberrySt Posts: 235
    Options
    I think you overwhelmingly have your answer! You deserve a special day and having a big party with your family and friends sounds awesome.

Just don't invite whoever said it was tacky!!!
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the great responses! I feel much better.

We won't specifcally say NOT to give gifts.... we just won't mention it at all!
  • gchutson
    gchutson Posts: 657
    Options
    My wedding gift to you:

Step 1: Stop giving a *kitten* what people think.
    Step 2: Repeat Step 1.

Now go party.

Somehow, I knew this was a post from you. Probably because it's the same thing you've posted on every thread I've seen you on. Maybe you should write a book with this being the thesis, maybe make some money off of it.

I'm having it printed on t-shirts. And my left butt cheek.

Somehow, I don't think you want your butt to stop giving a s***."

Excellent point.
  • wurgin
    wurgin Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    i love it, it is your turn. have a great time!
  • Kandygirl
    Kandygirl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    My wedding gift to you:

Step 1: Stop giving a *kitten* what people think.
    Step 2: Repeat Step 1.

Now go party.

this man know what he's talkin about
  • runlorirun
    runlorirun Posts: 389
    Options
    Not tacky at all! You deserve to have the reception you missed out on.