How old were you when you had kids?

Options

Replies

• bleacheblonde
    Options
    This post comes at an ironic time...the first 3 stories in my Facebook newsfeed this morning were pregnancy announcements, NO JOKE, and they are all people that are younger than me! I'm 26 and I don't feel like I will be ready for another 5 years or so. The thought of having to raise a child right now freaks me the hell out, in all honesty. I have a lot more things I want to accomplish first and just a lot of living left to do before I feel like I'm ready. Plus my fiance is unemployed and we're both in school and really poor so it would be TERRIBLE time financially to make the decision to start a family. We have our 2 kitties and that is enough right now :)
  • KrisC1122
    KrisC1122 Posts: 21
    Options
    I was 15 when I had my daughter. It was hard, but I had a very supportive family. I graduated HS on time with high honors. I had my son when I was 21. I want to have another one by the time im 28.

I would not change anything. It changed me for the better. If I had not had my daughter I would probablyu be dead or in jail,. not even joking.
  • heykaraoke
    heykaraoke Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    My only was born about 3 months before my 23rd birthday. It was hard! It's still hard now, almost 4 years later. If I could do it again I definitely would have waited. She's awesome, but I would have liked to enjoy my youth for a few more years :P
  • future_runner
    future_runner Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm 25 and not even close to marriage, you aren't holding out in my opinion, you are starting way too soon. Have you even finished college?
  • twilighttabby
    twilighttabby Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I was 16 when I had my first son,20 with my 2nd and 30 with my baby girl and wouldn't change anything. My husband and I have been together for 18 years and been married for 15. and more in love today then ever. True love is out there you just have to let it find you. Some people are ready at a young age and some people aren't. It is really up to you and the lord. Good luck.
  • marylynn85
    marylynn85 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I was 19 when I had my first daughter. 22 when I had my second and 25 when I had my 3rd. I am almost 27 now.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    36 when I had my one and probably only. Glad I waiting until after 30 for financial and maturity reasons..but I think my body would have bounced back easier 5 years before that. I had a lot of fun during those single years and I am so glad I did.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I was 18. Sooo not a good idea.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Wait until you KNOW it is right. You will know. I married husband at age 20.

We had kids at age, 24,26,28,30,36,39

Being pregnant in my 20s was easier physically than in my late 30s.
  • xonicolette
    xonicolette Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I had my son at 19. At times I wish I would've waited and gotten to do things that I didn't get to do, but I wouldn't change a thing. I don't really think it's your age that matters, its your maturity level and if you're ready for it. I wasn't ready at first, but I prepared myself. I had to! Lol.
  • Vgrindle
    Vgrindle Posts: 23
    Options
    I was 23 when I had my first and only baby to this date, I am currently 25. Maybe waiting a little longer may have been a better choice because I wasnt done going out and being a party animal but she is amazing and I wouldnt trade her for anything :)
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Get an education before having kids. You never know what might happen between you and your boyfriend/husband. And, tragedy can strike even the happiest family. Make sure you are in a position to care for that baby before you have it.
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Financially ready. Career on track. Patience learned.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I was 25 when my first was born, my husband was a couple of weeks shy of 29. We think we were at the perfect ages to have kids. Young enough that we had/have the energy to keep up with them, but not so young that we were still into partying. We have always been able to put our kids first, without feeling like we were missing out on a social life. Not that it's impossible to have a social life, it's just harder. And going to school while having young kids/babies is really difficult.
  • AlmstHvn
    AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I was 38 when I got pregnant, and 39 when she was born (my only child).
    So very glad I was older. By then, I'd learned a lot about patience and priorities. We didn't sweat the small stuff - which takes a LOAD of pressure off both parent and child. I was so thrilled to become a Mom that it's helped me cherish each moment.
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Wife was 36; I was 2 months short of 38.
  • ncthomas09
    ncthomas09 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling!!! I was in a sorority in college and have a lot of those girls on my facebook still! So many of them are getting married and/or having kids! Then again I noticed I feel my clock ticking every spring/summer since I graduated college...but hey guess when peak wedding season is!?!? (and for that matter baby season too!!)

I'm 25 now and feel like I'm behind but at the same time I've only been with my bf for a year, we aren't engaged. I'm doing good to keep myself taken care of let alone a baby! I got a dog (I know very stereotypical) and spoil her and take care of her...she keeps me on my toes enough that I don't think about having a baby as often.

But I also dont want to be in my 50-60's when my kids are graduating high school either! I'm waiting because I want to be traditional and wait for marriage for kids and I'd like to be married for at least a year before kids come into the picture. So I guess I don't have much of a choice!
  • LindaLouLu
    LindaLouLu Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    The first was 13 days before my 18th birthday.
    Second was 6months after my 21st birthday.
    Third was 5 days after my 28th birthday.

From that lovely spread, I HIGHLY recommend waiting. :laugh:
  • Daisy_Cutter
    Daisy_Cutter Posts: 774
    Options
    26 & 29 -- perfect age
  • TheOriginalGinging
    Options
    Get an education before having kids. You never know what might happen between you and your boyfriend/husband. And, tragedy can strike even the happiest family. Make sure you are in a position to care for that baby before you have it.

Mine were at 23, 26 and 29 and my only regret is that I didn't get a degree or into a trade. At 51 I feel it's vital for a woman to be financially solid. Best wishes to you, whatever you decide!