How do I stop eating 6,000 calories??

Options

Replies

• Neahpata
    Neahpata Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    1530 is very manageable. I agree with the others you might want to wean yourself off of the sweets, start cutting them back. Eat small meals every 3-4 hours to stave off hunger. Fill your meals with whole grains, veggies, lean protein and healthy fat. The fat will help satiate you and you won't feel like you are so deprived. If you need more food, exercise and eat back those calories or make your weight loss goals less ambitious. You didn't mention them but I would assume it is currently 1.5-2 pounds a week.
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    If this is what you eat on average I think you should go to the store and get different brands of the same stuff you eat, but compare the other brands to the ones you usually get to find a brand that has less calories in the same quantity. I think trying to drop from 6000 calories to 1500 calories is too much of a difference if you eat about 6000 everyday, so I think gradually lowering your calorie intake to about 1500 would be better.
  • charelg
    charelg Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    If every meal including breakfast is well over 1000 calories, then I guess that would be that many in a day!
  • Neahpata
    Neahpata Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    This has to be a joke, who eats over 5,000!calories??

I used to regularly. It's easy when you are eating a lot or calorie dense foods.

There's also binge eating disorders. I used to have 2000, 3000, sometimes 4000 calorie binges for years.
  • LinaBo
    LinaBo Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I would start by cutting down to something like 2000-2500 calories a day, to start, and work your way down to the lower goal from there. The reality is, now that you've done "the crime" for so long, you must do "the time". It's not easy to watch what you eat and actively try to lose weight, but that's what we all get for overindulging and gaining more than we ought to, instead of being reasonable to begin with. It's going from one extreme to a bit of another.

You are going to need to seriously crack down on a lot of the cheese, the bacon, the fried things, the whole eggs, the white bread, the alcohol, the mayonnaise and other full-fat condiments, and the sugar, to name a few. You can still have a little bit of some of these, occasionally, but not much if you want to lose the weight. Stock up on a variety of colourful vegetables, some fruit (not too much fruit, it's still high in sugars and therefore calories), lean proteins (fin fish, shrimp, skinless chicken, lean pork chops, lean ground meats, lentils, beans), healthy fats (olive oil used sparingly. PAM spray, avocados, nuts, NATURAL peanut butter), low-fat dairy (skim or 1% milk, or dairy alternatives), and whole grains (brown rice, sprouted grain breads, quinoa, to name a few). Try to reduce the quantity of foods you eat that have a laundry list of ingredients. Most of the ingredients that you can't pronounce or identify probably aren't good for you, and you should at least relegate to less than 20% of your daily caloric intake, if we are being reasonable.

There is a "Recipes" section in the forums, I would suggest you peruse it for ideas. Do some web research to learn how to "cook light". If you're really stuck on how to cook something to get a desired result, feel free to ask me. My culinary arts certificate should get at least SOME use, for all the money I owe in student loans!
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Reduce your calories gradually, and eat more veggies and salad (with a low-cal dressing) to fill you up while you're reducing your portions. Maybe try reducing by 200 calories a day, and reduce by more than that if that feels too easy. Also, drinking nothing but water will reduce your calories by a lot. :) Good luck! You can do this!
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    One of the biggest things I learned to do was to read the labels BEFORE I ate the food. I have hot dogs all the time- did you know there are hot dogs that are 300 calories for one hot dog and there are hot dogs that are 90 calories a hot dog. Big difference in the long run.

Not to say you always have to chose the low-cal version. Sometimes it's just about realizing what's in the food you're eating.

Specifically from your diary- switch brands of bacon to a lower cal version. Two slices for over 300 cals is pretty high. I would avoid the turkey bacon out there as it tends to be higher in sodium. Have cookies- but avoid the super high cal ones like the Tim Hortons- opt for that Lemon Cake instead- 160 cals for a cake is rather good.

Look at the big players in numbers in your diary- then find lower cal versions of them.

I wouldn't jump down too fast in calories either- take your time and just pick one thing a week to try and get lower. It's a marathon- not a sprint.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I did too! It is an eye opener, but that many is absurd!

DO you know how big this person is? it's very doable for heavier people. I consume this much or so on my free days.

This. VERY doable, especially if this person weighs a lot AND is tall! They're not here to get judged for how much they eat, they're here for advice on how to eat less.
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    good on you for logging what you usually eat - that is a really helpful starting point!

looking at your diary, i am actually surprised it came to 5000cals.

I wouldn't go as low as 1500 to start off with, i would work toward a goal of <2000cals over a period of time that is comfortable. (maybe two weeks? maybe longer, just give yourself a goal date.)

then I would add in a walk every day so that i could eat more than 1500, because i am a bit more comfortable eating a bit more than that.

good luck!
  • melonclarinet
    melonclarinet Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I agree with others...it's possible. Make small changes to start out. I looked and you consumed 1110 calories in beverages, so that might be a good place to start. You are drinking almost as many calories as many of us on here are eating.

We all start somewhere; just start making moves in the right direction. Not everything has to change today.
  • Ri024
    Ri024 Posts: 24
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice.

If it matters, I am 188 lbs and my goal is to be less jiggly. I guess that could happen at 140 lbs. =)
  • 1LRoy
    1LRoy Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    A few things I saw right away in your food diary

1. WAY too many bread-based carbs. The spaghetti and garlic bread along put you over 1000 calories.
    2. WAY too many sugar-based carbs.

I'd focus on cutting back your bread and sugar to start. Protein is more filling/satisfying and less calories overall. I don't know if my food diary is open or not, but I'll open it and you can see what I mean. I eat a lot of eggs (mostly egg whites or Egg Beaters), string cheese, protein shakes, and lean meats. I do have carbs, but I limit myself. For breakfast I'll have protein and 1 serving of bread carbs (1 piece of whole wheat toast, 1 cup of healthy whole grain cereal with skim milk, or 1 whole wheat flax waffle) and sometimes some fruit (half an orange or some strawberries as a treat).

You also want to be more active. Anything more than what you are currently doing is a start in the right direction. I work a desk job, and every few hours I take a short brisk walk through the building. Now I'm going up and down every flight of stairs I pass on my walk. It all adds up.

Truly, I didn't realize how many calories I was eating either until I starting logging.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I am new to this. I put it in most of what I ate today and it is around 5,744 (I cannot remember everything) but this program says my goal should be 1,530.

Is this right? I know I eat more than some other people but is 1,530 really manageable? I am not very active but now I think I should start! Please feel free to send me any advice.

Well if I was you, i'd cut out about 2,000 calories and start there. Jumping that low makes no sense from your starting point. Over time decrease them as you lose weight.

Good advice.
    6000 to 1500 is just asking for failure, it's too much of a drop and you won't stick to it.
    Reducing by 2000 is a 14000 calorie a week deficit, so you should lose 4-5 lbs a week even on that.
    As you get use to choosing healthier foods, it will be easier to reduce your cals more.
    My diary is open if you want any ideas of the right sort of foods to eat. Choose things like lean meat (chicken, turkey, lean beef etc), fish, whole grain bread / pasta / rice, at least 5 a day fruits & veggies, dairy (choose naturally lower cal cheeses like mozzarella, feta, goats cheese, halloumi rather than cheddar), skimmed or 2% milk, plain Greek yogurt and add your own fruit.
    Junk food is not banned, but limit it to 1 meal a week and try to have a sensible portion.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,688 Member
    Options
    Use chopsticks.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    OP this is exactly where i started. my advice is to start by gradually decreasing your calories and meal size.

for instance i used to eat a LOT of take out, 3 meals a day (plus snacks ).

what i'd do is split what used to be a 2K lunch into 2 and save the other half for the next days lunch. i started off doing that for 1 meal and then 2 then 3. eventually you'll get down to half your intake then you can focus on gradually getting each meal down to where it should be to fit in with the 1500 calorie goal.

i'd say in all it took me around 6 weeks to do that and that's included bad days when i'd slip and have super high calories again and eat an entire large pizza and hot wings for dinner :laugh:

going from 6K->1500 all at once will be too much and you'll be very likely to give up

good luck!!! you can do this!
  • SEishen
    SEishen Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Baby steps. Starting out is a little daunting when you know something needs to change but you don't know where to start. Many great suggestions here. What put me in the right frame of mind was using the app on my phone to examine overall nutrition. When I saw that I was getting almost NO potassium, for instance, I asked friends and read up. As I've progressed, I've settled into a "diet" where I'm eating every couple of hours and finding myself often needing to add here and there to get to 1200. I still snack a lot, just on mini sweet bell peppers and sugar snap peas instead of cookies and chips! Also, measure, measure, measure. Have the spaghetti but have one measured serving. Salad dressing, 1 TBSP only. If you eat at McDonald's, have a grilled chicken wrap and a yogurt parfait. There are little things you can do that end up turning into a life habit. Best wishes. You can do it!!
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I would start by cutting down to something like 2000-2500 calories a day, to start, and work your way down to the lower goal from there. The reality is, now that you've done "the crime" for so long, you must do "the time". It's not easy to watch what you eat and actively try to lose weight, but that's what we all get for overindulging and gaining more than we ought to, instead of being reasonable to begin with. It's going from one extreme to a bit of another.

You are going to need to seriously crack down on a lot of the cheese, the bacon, the fried things, the whole eggs, the white bread, the alcohol, the mayonnaise and other full-fat condiments, and the sugar, to name a few. You can still have a little bit of some of these, occasionally, but not much if you want to lose the weight. Stock up on a variety of colourful vegetables, some fruit (not too much fruit, it's still high in sugars and therefore calories), lean proteins (fin fish, shrimp, skinless chicken, lean pork chops, lean ground meats, lentils, beans), healthy fats (olive oil used sparingly. PAM spray, avocados, nuts, NATURAL peanut butter), low-fat dairy (skim or 1% milk, or dairy alternatives), and whole grains (brown rice, sprouted grain breads, quinoa, to name a few). Try to reduce the quantity of foods you eat that have a laundry list of ingredients. Most of the ingredients that you can't pronounce or identify probably aren't good for you, and you should at least relegate to less than 20% of your daily caloric intake, if we are being reasonable.

There is a "Recipes" section in the forums, I would suggest you peruse it for ideas. Do some web research to learn how to "cook light". If you're really stuck on how to cook something to get a desired result, feel free to ask me. My culinary arts certificate should get at least SOME use, for all the money I owe in student loans!

This is very good advice.

As uncomfortable as it may be, logging everything is really going to help you - A LOT.

When you are starting to get a feel for the caloric and nutritional content of food, this will get much easier. Most of us have been where you are now, so trust me when I say it gets a lot easier, but you need some willpower to get through the initial phase of denying yourself some things.

I'd also suggest trying to log foods before you eat them. It will then bring it back to a conscious decision YOU get to make about whether you eat/drink it... or if YOU decide it's not worth it.

Good luck, and please ask as many questions on here as you want/need to.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat. I was actually eating 6k calories myself. But then I started eating home-cooked meals. I cheated my brain by cooking meals where I get to "hide" veggies in it. I am Indian so alot of the curries I made I would just put in veggies like crazy and eat it up. Believe it or not, more times than not, I have to find ways to increase my food intake because after 1200 calories you just couldn't eat anymore. it'll take some time to build up.

Do remember though, you can always eat back the calories you burn. So if you go over by a few hundred calories, go outside and walk around for a few miles. You'll feel better, walking will help digest food and you just burned those extra calories :)

Last thing. WATER WATER WATER! OMG drink water like you've been stranded in desert for 100 years and just found an oasis. 8 glasses is easy stuff. Keep a bottle wiht you ALL the time and sip water all day. Without trying I am at 9-12 glasses. On days when I eat unhealthy stuff like pizza, I have gone upto 20 glasses.

You can do this! Make sure to surround yourself with friends here. If you fail, don't sweat it. Try again. Failed again? Try again. Learn from your mistakes and try again and again and again.

Good luck :)
  • d4rkn3ss06
    d4rkn3ss06 Posts: 57
    Options
    Well 1500 is very doable but it will be hard at first since you were use to eating so many calories but doable. If it seems to low or seems to hard try 2000 as others have said. I looked through your diary and you can make a lot of cuts that will lower your intake of calories. You have a lot of high calorie snakes in large portions so i would start by cutting portions. Eat snacks that you like (like m&ms) but eat the serving size and only once a day, or cutting bacon to only one meal a day, pasta is high in calories so add more meat less pasta and cut the portion of bread (i know i love garlic bread but its high in calories so cut the portion) , the cake and stuff you can keep but i would cut those out and get lower calorie snacks (fiber one brownies are delicious and only 90 calories!), drink lots of water, these are just somethings you can do but portion control is needed! I wont lie this will be hard at first but you can do it!! Being your first day logging its ok too see how many calories you eat!! It is a huge wake up call and really shows you how much you eat. These changes will really help you! :) Good luck!!!
  • Jordant107
    Jordant107 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Did you add the calories or kilojoules??