Does anyone eat whatever they want just within calories?

Options

Replies

• sphyxy
    sphyxy Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I used to diet that way, just shoving whatever in my mouth as long as I didn't go over calories, but I started changing my habits.

I figure, why eat 500 calories of garbage that only leaves me hungry in an hour when I can have a 500 calorie dinner consisting of a yummy side salad and a filling LARGE dinner? I eat more than I used to, even though portions are smaller, and I am always satisfied.
  • jennifer072107
    jennifer072107 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I do this. If I say no, I cannot have any ice cream at all....no chips at all and things like that, I would binge really badly (like I did lastnight). I usually do just fine, but yesterday I was VERY stricked and only ate very healthy things, but by lastnight i completely lost control. The way I see it for myself is, if I have calories I need to stay under, I eat healthy for the most part, but if I want chips, i do what they say is 1 serving and do that. or if I want a cookie, I do what their serving says rather than okay I want 5 cookes instead of I should have what they say is a serving size. THis is helping me learn how to eat in moderation. But as I am going with this journey, i am starting to see where i could use those calories rather than what I really want. Its a learning process for me. Ive been under my calorie intake for the time i have been on here so I guess what I am doing is working.
  • monicamk1975
    monicamk1975 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I ate whatever I wanted in the begining and have slowly been getting better about my food choices. At first, all I cared about was losing weight and now I've really been focusing on eating healthy and really fueling my body with the better choices. It makes a world of difference and got me off of a 3 month plateau.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want, but healthier choices tend to keep me full longer, so I always keep that in mind.
    Not depriving myself is what keeps this sustainable and an actual "lifestyle change" for me.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of what I want, but I always make sure to include fruits and veggies. I love fruits and veggies, so that's not really a big deal to me, though.
  • lilylight
    lilylight Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Yes, I don't worry about not eating certain foods. Personally, I've found that if I try a diet that has too many restrictions, it doesn't last. ...Having said that, since I started this, I'm definitely eating a lot more fruits and veggies, just because you can eat more of them.
  • lilmzzgreeneyez
    lilmzzgreeneyez Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    i am always watching my sugar fat and sodium intake. so no. i eat foods within my calorie limiit if they are low in those areas. not just wahtever i want.
  • Mceastes
    Mceastes Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Basically yes. But then I don't dislike healthy foods so it's not like eating whatever I want = Oreos and nachos. I eat fruits, veggies, salads, oatmeal, lean meats, etc. But I also work in pizza, burgers and ice cream. I read labels and am mindful, but honestly if I'm really, really wanting pizza, then I have pizza and don't feel bad about it and don't gain weight because of it if it fits in my calories for the day. Having said that there are plenty of times I turn down what I want because it's just too unhealthy (why doesn't any restaurant make nachos for under 1000 calories??? - I just can't do it, it's too overboard on the calories and fat).
  • janemem
    janemem Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I totally eat like crap, I just eat less of it. I figure that'll only take me so far though and at some point I'll have to clean it up some. But until then I'll ride the pizza and swiss cake rolls as far as they'll take me, lol.

LOL! Good for you! :-D :laugh:
  • TonyStark30
    TonyStark30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Surely we all should be eating what we want within calories by default that would make us all the weight we want to be forever. No?
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    So I wonder for those who continue to eat unhealthy choices; as long as it is under their calorie goal will have continued success not only here but in keeping that weight off for life? I'm sorry but if you don't make some sort of change in the type of food you eat; you are setting yourself up for failure later.

^Well said!

^^I agree

This report shows why it's important to make better food choices

http://kool1017.com/america-is-the-fattest-nation-in-the-world-and-getting-fatter/
    So wrong on many levels.
  • nevertoolate2
    nevertoolate2 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want but do make healthier choices over much of what I eat. It just means that if I fancy some bad foods I can have them, but in moderation and generally when I have the calories available, either in my daily allowance or because I stick in some extra exercise so that I can afford them.

Some diets like Atkins and Dukan promote eating or restricting certain foodtypes. I suppose you could maintain those diets within a calorie limit too but a recent study in Sweden suggest those diets do not have a lasting impact upon obesity but have seen an increase in cholestoral levels and associated heart problems.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2157532/Atkins-diet-causes-heart-disease-risk-linked-surge-cholesterol-levels.html

If that is the case it reinforces that healthy eating is as important (in the long term if not the short term) as just watching the calories.
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Surely we all should be eating what we want within calories by default that would make us all the weight we want to be forever. No?

It depends what you want. I depends entirely on what your goals are. If appearance is all you're after and you're happy with "skinny fat" then you can probably get by on that rule.

However if you want to be fit and healthy, for example for sports performance, then you can't have half your calories coming from cake and alcohol.

And if you want to be lean rather than skinny fat then you would most certainly have to make serious changes.
  • nhga47
    nhga47 Posts: 118
    Options
    This is my second day on insanity, and I am trying to stick with their elite nutrition guide as I plan my meals. I work night shift so its a bit harder for me to stick to the 5 meal a day thing, but I am motivated to get rid of this $@!## beer gut. Now I just need to have the will power to stay off of the beer for the 60 days. Today, I was successfull and think that I made pretty healthy food choices. I used to work on commercial kitchen equipment, and the sites that I had to see in the kitchens really made me think about what I was puting in my body! I can't stand fried foods/process foods much anymore. Good luck, and I say always look at the labels of what you are about to eat and ask yourself if its worth it. :) "My two cents"
  • AntWrig
    Options

It depends what you want. I depends entirely on what your goals are. If appearance is all you're after and you're happy with "skinny fat" then you can probably get by on that rule.

However if you want to be fit and healthy, for example for sports performance, then you can't have half your calories coming from cake and alcohol.

And if you want to be lean rather than skinny fat then you would most certainly have to make serious changes.
    This is not correct.

From a body recomp stand point (body image) you can get away with eating anything you want in MODERATION. Even elite athletes follow this. Usain Bolt was eating McDonald's before he broke the Olympic World Record.
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I think there is a big difference with what Hussein Bolt gets away with considering his training load and lean body mass (and associated metabolism) and what your average MFP poster gets away with will be VASTLY different.

You can be assured that Hussein Bolt's diet would not include Maccie D's on a daily basis!

People can have a very different idea of what 'moderation' actually means.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I ate everything when i was loosing weight, just less of it. For example i was eating over 6 servings of rice in one meal and then i started eating less about 2 servings. I loved my rice and still do.
  • AntWrig
    Options
    I think there is a big difference with what Hussein Bolt gets away with considering his training load and lean body mass (and associated metabolism) and what your average MFP poster gets away with will be VASTLY different.

You can be assured that Hussein Bolt's diet would not include Maccie D's on a daily basis!

People can have a very different idea of what 'moderation' actually means.
    You cited athletes, so I gave you an athlete. For body composition eating whatever you want is perfectly fine WITHIN moderation. If you reach your overall macros for the day you're good. Yes, that includes the "average MFP".
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I would say yes as long as you are not living on chocolate, ice cream, candy, cookies, etc. You get the point.:bigsmile:
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    hell yes I do! IIFYM <3