Does anyone eat whatever they want just within calories?

Options

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. I pretty much eat what I want, and fit it into my calories. I haven't completely given up any one food, and I regularly eat things that a lot of people wouldn't consider healthy.

That said, my diet has changed a lot over the past few months, and will continue to change. I meet my calorie goal, but since joining MFP, I'm also much more conscious of getting enough protein, water and fibre. I didn't eat too much in the way of overly processed food anyway, but I am more aware now of how much sodium and sugar I'm consuming. I have made small changes, and I will make more, but like many people, if I'd radically changed my diet overnight, I never would have stuck it out as long as I have. I make better choices now for my health, but there are some days when just fitting into my calorie goal is good enough, and keeps me on track.
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I do, but I do also try to get enough protein and not go way over my carbs.

Last night, for instance, I wanted so bad to have boxed macaroni & cheese (if you've ever had Wegman's boxed macaroni and cheese, you won't think this is gross) but I checked out my diary and while I had *just* enough calories left, I was already too close to my carb limit and needed much more protein, so I made a different choice. Had it worked better with my macros, though, I'd have enjoyed every last bite of mac 'n cheese.
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Some days I eat whatever I want as long as it fits, but mostly I try to eat more healthy foods. I find that when I eat healthy in my calorie goals I feel better the next day and I lose weight more consistently. If I eat pizza, even if it fits in my calorie goals, I'm always heavier the next day. I know that's probably from the sodium but then it takes a few days to get back down. I'm sure everyone is different, but that's my experience.
  • jwaitman
    jwaitman Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on what you are trying to achieve. If your goal is to eat better/healthier, then no you shouldn't be eating what you want, but if your goal is to eat what you want and lose some weight then I don't see a problem with it. I don't deprive myself of things I want. I just try to eat them in moderation. I have a horrible sweet tooth that I need to get under control so I crave sweets after a meal. If I don't eat them, I don't feel full and then I eat more and that defeats the whole purpose.
  • TaniaW74
    TaniaW74 Posts: 27
    Options
    I'm doing this as my first step to losing weight and getting healthier and have lost 34lbs so far my next step was to start the gym and become more active which I have just started my third step is to try and clean up my eating a bit and make healthier choices. For me it was better to break it down so it wasn't a major change all at once which knowing myself as I do I would have faltered by now and given up.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Within moderation, yes, I eat whatever I want. But I remind myself that I can have a whole lot more of vegetables than of junk. I also found I feel more satisfied when I eat a well-rounded diet. I think it depends on what "whatever you want" is - if you're only eating pizza, cheeseburgers, and donuts, it's not going to work very well. If you mean that you still eat bread, rice, and pasta, or that you haven't gone vegetarian, or that you allow yourself a small serving of chips or ice cream, you'll be fine. And, you'll probably be able to maintain a lot better in the long run.
  • MoreThanMommie
    MoreThanMommie Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I know I would probably lose more faster if I didn't do this but I eat whatever I want just stay under my calories is that ok? Does anyone else do this? I feel like if I don't eat what I want I give up early and easier.

When I first started back in Feb. I did. But shortly after I realized I was still hungry all the time because I was eating a lot of processed foods that didn't keep me full. I changed what I was eating, and I like this better. The food is filling, and so yummy. Who knew veggies could taste so good?!
  • cmurray234
    cmurray234 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Here is what I do. Part of my food choices are based on nutrition. I try very hard to get 3 or 4 servings of vegetables and 2 servings of fruit every day. I do this for health reasons. I have also discovered that said choices often make very little dent in my calorie consumption.

I also make a concerted effort to eat lean protein sources like fish, chicken and lean pork. I do this because I like these items and because I get a lot of bang for my buck (so to speak) out of them, meaning they fill me up but aren't high in calories. I would not eat them if I didn't enjoy them, though.

The rest of my calories are taken up by foods that I LOVE. If I want a gyro, I have a gyro. To me, it's worth the 500 calories because it's so stinking good. When I want pizza, I eat pizza. I LOVE pizza and it too is worth the 400 calories per slice.

Most importantly, I ignore the advice of well-meaning busybodies who love nothing more than to inform me what a HORRID choice a slice of pizza is, and that I shouldn't be eating pizza while on a diet.

After years of failure, I know exactly what works for me. And gyros and pizza as part of my 1500 calories a day works. Having tried the South Beach diet, I also know what DOESN'T work. If I'm miserable, I'll never stick to a diet, no matter how well it works for other people.
  • headlock_lynn
    headlock_lynn Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Yes, I eat anything I want and don't deprive myself some treat occasionally. I make a conscious effort to eat healthier because to me this is a lifestyle change and not a "diet" as such. I tended to eat such large portions before and finish off the leftovers at lunch. I can still do that if I wish and as long as I am under my calories or at least on par with my allotted calories I will lose and have lost 31lbs so far. You will lose if you eat anything you want, just watch the calorie intake - portion size.
  • sjohnson1961
    Options
    i've lost 30 pounds by purely counting the calories. i don't bother looking at any of the other sections (fat, carbs, protein, sugar etc), just eat what i want as long as i dont go over the calorie count
  • Mamasota
    Mamasota Posts: 144
    Options
    In the long run, it doesn't work. You learn the hard way it isn't just calories in and calories out. It works for a while, but if you are also interested in long term results and good health, try to slowly develop better food choices.
  • firedad
    firedad Posts: 59
    Options
    Every day. Lost 31lbs in 72 days. 60 to go.

People that say it doesn't work are wrong, as long as you always count calories. Even after I reach my goal I will be counting calories and tracking my weight weekly. Sure you won't be as healthy as if you ate Kale and fish all the time, but you won't regain weight/ fat if you stay at your maintenance calorie level.
  • BadCookieMonster
    Options
    I usually eat what i want, but i counting my calories has made me more aware of what i eat. I dropped drinking 5-6 cokes a day down to 1 coke every other day. I dropped 5 lbs quickly after dropping cokes.. Then i focused on serving size, and with daily excersize i have been dropping about 1lb a week. If i want to kick it up a level i will go on a complete diet, but as of right now i hadn't had to change what i eat, just how much i eat.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I think this is doable once you have control over your eating habits and can trust yourself not to binge. Your intentions might be good but once you've finished off half a bag of Smartfood popcorn, you might realize you should have waited til you were stronger.
  • margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    If I ate whatever I wanted within my calorie goal, I'd be skinny fat. Period. I fuel my body with the best choices to fill my macros.

:happy:
  • Faeriegirl74
    Faeriegirl74 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people do X and Y fad diet...but, for me.. it's not realistic. Bottom line, I eat what I want and stay under my calorie needs... because it keeps me honest... it's about life. Some days I may have some really clean eating... and other days I might eat Doritos and cake. For me it's calories in = calories out...and I pay attention to my potassium, sodium, and protein.
  • kimanne4
    kimanne4 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have made some changes such as adding more fruit to my diet but I never say I can't have anything. If I do...I'll want it more! So if I want something I'll eat it just not as much and I log EVERYTHING. When my calories are spent I'm done. I am making healthier choices because I want to spend my calories wisely but I'm not feeling deprived. I'm not eating like a rabbit so I know I can keep this up long term.
  • GaryRussell123456
    GaryRussell123456 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I do. Lost 110 lbs that way. Have been maintaining successfully for last 5 months eating exactly what I want within calories. To stick to your budget though you will find healthier choices creeping in anyway otherwise you will be hungry and lack energy.
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Calories in vs. calories out works for pure weight loss, but what you are eating and getting in proper exercise matter for your overall health.

These days I eat “whatever I want” but that’s because I want healthy food. I eat fresh veggies and fruits, lean (vegetarian) protein and whole grains, mostly. It’s how I prefer to eat the vast majority of the time.

I have treats now and again (ice cream, a cupcake, fancy chocolate, a glass of wine) but that’s because I plan for it.

It took me several years of adjustment. And it was hard when I first started. But the work pays off. Your tastes change. You realize how you feel after eating healthy and how you feel after eating not so healthy and start to make better choices.
  • Devona14
    Devona14 Posts: 171
    Options
    Like many previous posters, I do, but I don't. There are several questions I ask myself before eating something that isn't "healthy". One is, "Am I willing to eat all these calories and risk being hungry later?" I also try to live by the rule, "Everything is permissible, but not beneficial". For example, I am "allowed" to have a Big Mac and Fries (if that's all I want to eat that day), but by eating it, what will my body gain from it nutrient wise.

All that being said, I have changed the way I eat. I watch portions, eat leaner meats, try not to fry everything (I live in the South), eat more fruits and veggies, and exercise. You know it's an accomplishment when a gal that used to eat a huge plate of potatoes loaded with butter every day for lunch has gone from eating a potato every now and then.