Need support after miscarriage

Options
Hello,
I'm a long-time member of MFP, but haven't been using it much. Have completely fallen off the wagon lately...exactly a month ago I had a miscarriage at approx 7 weeks. I was doing so good up until then, eating well and preparing for a health and happy pregnancy. The miscarriage changed everything, turned my world upside down. I'm back to eating anything and everything, like an entire box of granola bars while watching TV. And much too large portions. Maybe this is just part of my own person grieving process, but as each pound creeps onto the scale, I get more depressed and less motivated.
Anyone with advice or support, please help!

-rm

Replies

• misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Oh, honey, I am so very, very sorry. A miscarriage is what got me started. I had hopes of trying again, but what we went through after was just too painful and my husband doesn't have it in him to try again.

You may want to go talk to someone. Perhaps an anti-depressant is in order. My depression lasted for a good 6 months after mine.

As far as diet goes, take care of yourself first. Get back to who you know you are. The rest will come.
  • crodrigu73
    crodrigu73 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I am so very sorry for your loss. I had a baby die two hours after birth, and have put on over 100 pounds after his death. I eat my feels, so I totally understand what you are going through. All I can say is with time that you will have more good days and fewer bad days, but the pain of the loss will never go away. My son would be turning 21 this July and it still hurts. I will keep you in my prayers.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    So sorry for your loss. I understand how heart-breaking it can be. I found it helped to talk to people about it. The more I talked about it, them more I realized I wasn't alone. You are right that you are grieving and food can be a great comfort for many. Try and make small steps to curb the binging and you'll gain control of your eating again in time.
  • mollyonamission
    mollyonamission Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry sweetheart. Feel free to add me.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. My sister has suffered 5 miscarriages (6 babies) since she had her son 6 years ago. Each one is devastating and takes a toll on not just her body, but on nearly every area of the family's life. I haven't been there myself, but here is my advice: Be kind to yourself and, as I think you are, continue acknowledging that you are mourning right now. Treat yourself as you would a friend. Also, when you're eating too much junk, remind yourself that you want to keep your body healthy so that you'll have a greater chance of maintaining a healthy pregnancy, should you get pregnant again. Again, I'm so sorry to hear that you have to go through this.
  • KrystieNye
    KrystieNye Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. I had a miscarriage at 8 weeks back in 2010, so I can relate all too well. Please feel free to add me if you'd like- I'm on every day.
  • kattbyrd67
    kattbyrd67 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you may be punishing yourself and using food as your weapon. Have you spoken to anyone about the miscarriage? Is there anyone to help you through your grieving process...family, clergy, anyone? You have to remind yourself that the miscarriage was NOT your fault, that you were doing everything humanly possible to have your baby arrive safely. Sometimes, these things are taken out of our hands, and there's just nothing we can do. YOU still deserve to have a healthy life. YOU still deserve to make healthy choices. YOU have to love YOURSELF enough to carry on and be healthy, even if you don't really want to right now. If you need anyone to talk to, I'm here.
  • mslvs
    mslvs Posts: 1
    Options
    Hang in there.... I struggled with Infertility for two years and suffered miscarriages and chemical pregnancies. I am now the mother of a healthy 4-month old. Let yourself hurt, but don't give up. Fight back against the m/c, get healthy, and get yourself pregnant again! :) I know it's hard, but you can do it. The healthier you are, the easier conceiving and pregnancy will be.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I am much older now but I know where you are coming from. Just know that when you hormones get back to "normal" you will feel better. Remember you not only had an emotional loss, your hormones bottomed out. Next tiime you feel like eating a box of something, go outside and find something beautifull to look at, do something to shift gears even temporarily. I remember leaving the place where I worked for just a few minutes to take long deep breaths outside. Pretend you're giving some of that grief to me. It may seem trite but you can make it through this.:flowerforyou:
  • monyango
    monyango Posts: 166
    Options
    Oh I'm sorry for your loss. That is very sad:( I can empathize. My son was born at 24 weeks and passed away 68 days after his birth. He passed away on my birthday this past January. Ugggg.

It'll take time for you to gather yourself. Grieving looks different for everyone. Just remember to be kind to yourself...and patient. Trying to be healthy in both eating and exercising will benefit you in the long run but I know it's hard to focus on anything other than your loss.

I can give you tips and advice on what helped for me but frankly....they'll do no good because nothing I say will ease the pain. Wishing you all the best.
  • sovannac
    sovannac Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. Please feel free to add me.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    My wife and I went through this after going to great lengths to conceive.
    It was devastating.
    As hard as it may seem now, life goes on and you shall get past the grief.
    We went on to have 5 kids and a great family.
    But you never forget....
  • rmillsaps04
    Options
    Thank you all for the outpouring of support. Several of you hit the nail on the head - I think I need to talk about it with people. I've only told 2 of my really good friends, and my husband. I don't know why, but I don't want to tell my mom. Maybe she won't understand.
    I was all set to tell another of my good friends, just to get it off my chest, but the very day I met up with her, she told me she was pregnant. How could I rain on her parade and scare her? I guess I keep telling myself that it isn't a big deal, I should make others feel bad or pity me by telling them. I think my husband is "talked out". And he's not the one who was feeling ill and had to go through the horrible pain and cramps and bleeding. He feels like it's not a big deal, we'll just try again and forget about this bad time.
    Honestly, this is the most that I've ever talked about it... Feels good :)
  • onyx1972
    onyx1972 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to read of this tragedy. My sympathies go out to you.. I had 4 miscarriages before I found I could not carry a child past 9 weeks, all were traumatizing. As hard and as devastated as you are you must take care of your health. As you get healthy again and your body, mind and spirit heal you will feel whole again and you can continue with healthy habits that you will benefit from as well as any children you have currently or choose to have in the future. Give your body time to heal, feed it well with nutritional options, find solice in knowing you are not alone. Food although comforting will not fill the void... find something healthy that will, like walking or a support group.... or both... Good Luck and Feel better
  • buckeyegirl0103
    buckeyegirl0103 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have had 2- pain is there- its real- Talk to someone- find a support group even. There is an old book that helped me called "i'll hold you in Heaven". Excellent resource. ((((hugs)))))
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I can feel your pain. I lost one at 8 weeks. May I suggest that you start living healthy for your next pregnancy?
  • jcamby
    jcamby Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Hugs. Sorry for your loss....
  • AmyM713
    AmyM713 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss, I have been in your shoes and know what your going through. Feel free to add me if you need someone to talk to. I know it doesn't seem like it now but the pain does ease up a bit, but your correct that you have to grieve and everyone does it differently. Take care of yourself.
  • jiddu17
    jiddu17 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I have had two miscarriages in the last few years. It is not an easy process to go through, and it isn't one you can get through without stopping to mourn every once in awhile. Your husband is not allowed to be "talked out" - in a few weeks, when you would have had your first appointment, or a few months, when you pass another milestone, you need to be able to tell him "You know, today would have been...." and he needs to offer sympathy and comfort. You aren't dwelling on it, it's part of the grieving process. For me, and maybe it's because I have already had a child, but every milestone had to be acknowledged and I would tell my husband and we would talk about it for a few minutes and then move on with our day. The hardest part was getting beyond the due date, but do you know what happened atfter that? Like a breath of fresh air, an oppressive weight began to lift off of my heart and it was only then that I felt like it was in my past. The grieving process for miscarriage does not end when you get your next normal period. It doesn't end when your HCG levels return to normal. It begins to end long after. Do not rush through just because someone else thinks you should be "over it" by now. And as far as your mom goes... only you know what's right, but if your husband isn't giving you what you need along the way, then your mom probably will. Maybe she has even been through it. Sometimes it really is beyond the ability of some men to truly understand that which we can't put into words. Good luck to you, it does get easier. I promise.
  • MissMama5
    MissMama5 Posts: 23
    Options
    Hugs sweetie. I had two mid-term losses myself and gained a lot of weight during and after both....I'm on a mission now to get healhtier and lose the weight :) you can do it, women are the strongest creatures on earth! :) feel free to add me