Why do people cheat?

Options
Foxypoo61287
Foxypoo61287 Posts: 638 Member
I just ended a relationship, & I have a child with this guy. I always had my suspicions that he was cheating. Hell I practically walked in on him & his ex at my house when I was pregnant. Our relationship was going down hill, fast. We were together for almost 3 years. 21 months to be exact. He proposed to me 1 month into our relationship, said I made him feel different. That no one ever made him feel that way & he wanted to spend the rest of his life with me. Well that feeling for him lasted about, 3 weeks before he was talking to his ex. He apologized, he even cried. And things were ok for a little. Needless to say, a month ago I had it, and left abruptly.

Now, he used to tell people I can't wait for her to leave me. I'll be able to party, etc. A friend of his said to him, "You don't want her to leave" and he said oh yes I do. Boy, was his friend right. He is miserable to say the least. He has broken down to me many times telling me he is so sorry for the things that he did to me. That he gets sick thinking about everything he did to me. He admitted to cheating on me with 4 different girls. Before I got pregnant, while I was pregnant & after I had our daughter. He only worked for 1 year while I was with him. I worked, all the way until the week before I had our daughter. And worked after. Like CRAZY. I have forgiven him for what he has done. I have told him numerous times, I will never forget, and he will never get back with me. We are civil for our daughter. We chat, hang out with the baby, etc. He tells me how stupid he was, because if he hadn't done the things he did, we would be married & probably be talking about having another baby right now. And he screwed that up. He tells me he has no idea what he was thinking when he cheated. Now, he hadn't sexually cheated on me in 1 year. But he has cheated on me emotionally, and betrayed me. I was having this conversation with him tonight, about our neighbor who said to him that I told her I had a "fling" with someone at my job. I told him she was full of it. He told me that she had cheated on her boyfriend, whom she has a child with.

He said to me what is wrong with the world today? I told him that something was missing. That spark. The romance. The person who cheats is not happy in their relationship. They are needing something, and their S.O. wasn't giving it to them, so they needed to find it somewhere else. That is why there are habitual cheaters. They cheat, get caught, their S.O.'s don't want to show or give affection, so they stray again.

I think the reason people cheat is, because they are unhappy in their relationship but feel bad about leaving or something is missing that used to be there. My ex says it is because they are unhappy with themselves. What do you think?

Replies

• Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    DAG! I wish posts like these ...just stop at the title...
  • LeggyKettleBabe
    LeggyKettleBabe Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Get some therapy and move on
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options

Just read the last paragraph.
  • angel_marcelle
    angel_marcelle Posts: 101 Member
    Options

Right?? My head hurts...
  • Mercenary1914
    Options

Just read the last paragraph.

Yea...I did eventually do that..

Sometimes I wish there is a clifftsnotes section...
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Options
    I think the reason people cheat is, because they are unhappy in their relationship but feel bad about leaving or something is missing that used to be there. My ex says it is because they are unhappy with themselves. What do you think?

I agree with you. People cheat when they're unhappy, but scared to leave the relationship.
  • Mercenary1914
    Options
    I just ended a relationship, & I have a child with this guy. I always had my suspicions that he was cheating. Hell I practically I think the reason people cheat is, because they are unhappy in their relationship but feel bad about leaving or something is missing that used to be there. My ex says it is because they are unhappy with themselves. What do you think?

I think people cheat because they are selfish...

No matter the reason...it always points back to being Selfish...
  • jdier
    jdier Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    My S.O. cheated on me and the conclusion that I have come to, is NOT that I'm not enough (because, believe me, it was), it's that he's TOO SELFISH to appreciate what he does have. Good for you as far as leaving is concerned! You will be happier in the end.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I don't know what makes every man cheat, but this guy sounds like a real crybaby....a complete wussie.
    You are better off with him gone.
    Next time find a real man who know how to keep it zipped. You deserve fidelity in any committed relationship.
    And remember this:
    Once a cheater - ALWAYS A CHEATER!
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I feel bad for the kid involved in this trainwreck.

People cheat because they can.
  • Mercenary1914
    Options

I agree with you. People cheat when they're unhappy, but scared to leave the relationship.

That's ONE reason...
  • xsqueakme85
    xsqueakme85 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    To me the only reason one would cheat is because they don't truly love or care about the person they are supposed to be in a commited relationship with. Or because they are horny *kitten*, or maybe they are just plan old sluts and take it from who ever where ever. But mostly my first sentence...
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Options

That's ONE reason...

..yes it is.
  • angel_marcelle
    angel_marcelle Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    People cheat because they are unhappy with themselves.... and they are looking to fill a void with temporary euphoria and "newness" if you will. When you cheat, the stresses of everyday life (kids, bills, housework, etc.) don't exist in the side relationship. So, yeah... pretty much boils down to being selfish.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    everyone is a sex maniac. some hide it better than others. some are too ugly to score. life's a ***** then you marry one. then the cheating starts all over. its a vicious cycle.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Married 23 years!!! It took a while but I have learned she was the selfish one.
    Blamed myself, etc.
    If we are done move your *kitten* on!!
    Cheater is a cheater.
    But hey I'ma happy man now. Life is good!!!
  • isweatglitter
    Options
    Truth is, feelings are lost. And the other person in the person can't confront the other about the situation and finds someone else to begin again.
  • shellebelle87
    shellebelle87 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    My ex cheated because he was unhappy, because I was such a ***** to him, never bothered actaully talking to me to try and work crap out though. And because he was in love with another girl the whole time, but didnt cheat on me with her.

Basically he was just a wanker, and too immature to break up with me. People cheat because they are selfish and too lazy to deal with emotional problems. And a million other reasons as well.

Move on, dont ever date him again, it is just a waste of time.
  • Puppygirl29
    Options
    WOW! If it's not too late, you two should go into couples therapy.
    Why are you the reason for the cheating? If the relationship was not meeting his needs, shouldn't
    he have had a sit down with you and discussed it? You have needs and feeling, too!
    Don't make excuses for him and his behavior. It was his choice to go outside the relationship.
    Marriage takes two and it takes 2 people to make it work. It is hard and not always perfect but
    if you truly love and respect and value each other you will be able to work it out.
    Right now you need to be thinking about YOU because YOU are important!
    Get a good support system for yourself and decide which direction you need to move in.
    Good Luck!
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    Options

I think people cheat because they are selfish...

No matter the reason...it always points back to being Selfish...

End of conversation. THIS. You can be madly in love with someone, happy with them and your relationship with them...but are selfish and self-centered enough to want more.