uterous removal???

Options

Replies

• NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    oh and thanks for mentioning the ablation, I will definitely mention that to my doctor!! I will explore everything except hormones.
  • sweetybird09
    sweetybird09 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I had my uterus and one ovary removed when I was 34 and I am now 52, the reason I had it done was due to a huge tumor growing on my R ovary so while they were at it they took out the uterus,it took a while to recuperate from that.

I previously years before that had gotten a tubal ligation, that went fine.

I would not recommend a hysterectomy or a partial for birth control as I am reading others are saying, the vasectomy can be done on a Friday and your husband can go back to work on a Monday, but again if the cost is an issue then you need to make decisions based on what works all around for YOUR situation we are all different.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    If getting your husband sterilised will cost a lot of money, a hysterectomy (uterus removal) will cost WAY more. It is major surgery. It carries a lot more risk than vasectomy, requires general anaesthetic and vastly longer recovery time.

If she has health issues her insurance may cover it
  • mandimommy
    mandimommy Posts: 36
    Options
    I had mine removed 13 months ago. I am 33, have 3 children and was having prolapse issues. My ovaries stayed. Other than a painful 2-3 weeks of recovery, I was fine and am very glad I had it done. My husband didn't want to have a vasectomy so I had Essure done about 6 months before this, not knowing I wouldn't need to but it definitely is 100% effective birth control!
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    looove 100% effective birth control. My friend is now due to give birth next month and she had the Mirena IUD in. My reasons are partially birth control, but that is not the main reason. My anemia is really taking a toll on me.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    looove 100% effective birth control. My friend is now due to give birth next month and she had the Mirena IUD in. My reasons are partially birth control, but that is not the main reason. My anemia is really taking a toll on me.

Is your anemia due to your periods?
  • mandimommy
    mandimommy Posts: 36
    Options
    Mine wasn't for birth control reasons either, but I consider it a nice bonus. And no periods is a pretty nice side effect too. I had mine done vaginally with pelvic floor repairs and I won't lie, I was in serious pain for several days and lingering discomfort for a few weeks. But it fixed my prolapse issues and I am glad I did it. My three children were 9 pounders and vaginal births took their toll. I do hear that laparoscopic results in an easier recovery, but that wasn't really an option for me.
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    where I live everyone has a right to health care and we pay very high taxes to insure that everyone gets the care that they need. Being sterilized is elective unless you have a good reason for it. It will cost my husband money to get a vasectomy but more than likely it will not cost me anything due to my anemia and losing a lot of blood every time I have a period.
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    no my anemia is due to my inability to absorb iron. I have to receive infusions every couple of months but the periods really drain me and I am not able to recover the blood loss.
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    I bet I could do it laperascopically. I don't have any other issues.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    with tubal ligation don't you still get periods??

Yes, you do ( I had a tubal ligation at 32). The only way not to have periods is with the removal of the uterus or the ovaries (or both).
    However, and unless is extremely and medically necessary, the ovaries should not be removed or you will go into "instant" menopause, and you are way too young for it.

I had a total hysterectomy (ovaries and uterus) when I was 49 because I had a large ovarian tumor (benign). But I had terrible menopausal side effects, and I needed large doses of estrogen (no progesterone needed when you don't have an uterus), to compensate and let my body easy into a more natural menopause.

Honestly, I never quite recovered from it and I am still in very low dose of estrogen or I go nuts! My mother also had serious menopausal side effects so it may be in the ‘genes.”
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    Ok, just switched out my IUD once again to the non hormonal copper one. Oddly enough the Mirena was displaced as well. The other one that I had in for 4 years was falling out when she changed it. She told me that I might want to give the hormonal IUD another shot with an ultrasound to make sure it is placed properly because since it was displaced that could have been the reason for my abnormal bleeding. I am actually thinking that it may be my body rejecting the IUD's. Thank goodness that I didn't get pregnant since I am quite fertile. I got pregnant with each of my kids on the first try. Saying all that, I will NOT give the hormonal IUD another shot because of all the side effects not related to bleeding that I have been experiencing.

Sooooo, here is what my doctor is recommending. She wants me to go to the hospital for the oblation process. Thank you guys so much for explaining that to me so I knew what it was before I went to talk to her. She is referring me today. It will take a while I think so I have this IUD in the meantime. Then once I get the oblation done, I can get another non hormonal IUD put in and the olation will significantly reduce the bleeding, and will possibly sterilize me and the IUD will prevent pregnancy. She said that they try all the least invasive things first which I can completely understand. I would imagine that would happen in any country. So, I will have to go through the steps in order to fix this problem. I do feel like I have a bit more knowledge now thanks to you guys!! Xxxxxoooooo
  • indisguise
    indisguise Posts: 235
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy 5 years ago because I had endometriosis and heavy bleeding every month. I kept my ovaries so I wouldn't need hormones. The surgery was laparoscopy, I was back home the same day and have been pain free ever since. Best decision I ever made...
  • Victoire2012
    Victoire2012 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    curious about uterine ablation? Can anyone explain that to me? Is it birth control too?

I have had both an ablation and a hysterectomy. The ablation was option 1. It is an outpatient surgery. It is a procedure that removes/destroys uterine lining to reduce bleeding. It is not a sterilization procedure. Although it is stated that's harder to get pregnant following the procedure. I got pregnant less than a year later and it was an extremely dangerous situation. This procedure actually made the bleeding worse for me. I understand that is extremely rare.

I had a hysterectomy a little over a year ago. It was the best thing that I did. Many responders state that it is painful and invasive. I did not experience that. The procedure was completed via laparoscope. I have 4 small incisions (one in my belly button). I had massive fibroid tumors, was severely anemic, had to get iron-infusions, blood transfusions. My life has changed. I am free. My energy has improved. It was the BEST thing that I ever did.

As with any major procedure, do your reseach. Talk to your doctor about the options. But do not be dissuaded by comments about pain. The recovery was nominal. I was ready to go back to work in 2 weeks. No hormonal issues as I had supracervical laparascopic hysterectomy. I stil have my ovaries.

Good luck to you.
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    my doctor is recommending the ablation surgery with some sort of birth control to begin with. I am thinking this will be a long process. Most people with hysterectomys are sounding like they tried the ablation first. I am sure that I will be waiting a while and then the hospital has to be the one approving the procedure. Who knows what will happen. I will be going on vacation for a month in July so I might actually miss my appointment. I hope not though. Thanks so much for all this great info!! Hopefully the less invasive procedure will work. Hopefully I will have good news to report soon as I am feeling really tired, crampy and am bleeding a lot today :(.
  • normanmac
    normanmac Posts: 34
    Options
    I too had heavy periods, anemic etc, had the ablation and never bled again. It worked like a charm. My daughter-in-law also had the ablation and never bled again. I am not sure you had good information. My doc said I would not bleed and didn't. How many doctor's opinions have you had? I would again caution against major surgery.
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Had my uterus removed 12 years ago. They removed it vaginally (three 1/4" incisions in abdomen for the laparoscopes), which means just one overnight in the hospital and a very short recovery time. If that is an option for you, I highly recommend it. Kept my ovaries. And as someone earlier said, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. In fact I wish I'd done it much sooner. You have no idea how much impact it is having on your overall sense of wellbeing until it's gone and you're healthy.

I had had the ablation and did not really get any relief from it.
  • just4u_cara
    just4u_cara Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy Nov 14/11 and it was the best decision I made. Heavy periods and prolonged bleeding were my worst symptoms. I had a tubal already and hubby also had a vasectomy. More children were never a choice so the uterus out was better for my health than leaving it in.

Recovery was fine. It was my rid abdominal surgery after a c-section with tubal, and gall bladder removal. I recovered quickly and was back at the gym on the treadmill by my 6wk checkup!

My insurance paid for my surgery so cost was never a concern. But health is more important an anything, so with your anemia you may not have much of a choice.
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I did not read all 4 pages..... but get an endometrial ablation. No need to go through a hyst.
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    thanks for sharing all your stories. I have to go through the steps. The first step is the ablation. Hopefully that will work so I don't have to go through major surgery. I didn't even know about it, hence why I posed the question. I am much more knowledgeable about my options than I was before I started this thread. I will go with what the doctors recommend. Step by step. My doctor recommended ablation with some sort of birth control. Hopefully they can tie my tubes while they are up in there but I will be meeting with the doctors at the hospital. If the ablation works then I will stop there happily, and if it doesn't then I will take the next step. Seems as though almost everyone has had the ablation before getting the hysterectomy. Time will tell. I am bleeding pretty heavily at the moment so I just want to fix this issue.