Satisfy Ice Cream Cravings!-- My new favorite food discovery

Options
124»

Replies

• majordlite
    majordlite Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Really not trying to start debate......but serious question..........In 3 bananas you are looking at approximately 300-450 calories. Pretty much all sugar. 1C mashed has 200 cals, 1 fat, 51 carbs, 2 protein. 1C of lower fat ice cream (edys slow churned, etc) has 240 Cals, 9 fat, 36 carbs, 6 protein.
    Is the idea that you would prefer to have carbs/sugar as opposed to dietary fat? If so why?

^^This^^

I had a cup of the Edy's Slow Churn Double Fudge Brownie (something like that, anyway) this week, with chunks of brownie throughout it, and it was only 300 calories with not a lot of fat. It was awesome, and I would/should have been satisfied with half the amount, it was so yummy.
  • aymenz
    aymenz Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    That was exactly what I thought when I saw 3 bananas! I have not tried edys (but will!) but I am in love with sugar-free fudgciles right now...when I need a chocolate/frozen treat at only 40 cal per pop they are pretty amazing!
  • cara4art
    cara4art Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    A great combo, and to keep the calorie count down, is to just use half of a frozen banana, I level tsp. of peanut butter, and a couple squirts of vanilla extract, in the food processor. The food processor aerates the banana, increasing its volume and making it really creamy besides. YUM - I'm eating one of this right now, This makes a single serving that's very satisfying for a lot fewer calories than in Double Rainbow It's a Goodie ice cream(vanilla, with some swirls of peanut butter along with chocolate chips). That Double Rainbow ice cream flavor has 305 calories for just one-half cup! One little square of very dark chocolate(70% or above)shaved over the banana combo is good without adding a ton of calories.
  • magisy
    magisy Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Really not trying to start debate......but serious question..........In 3 bananas you are looking at approximately 300-450 calories. Pretty much all sugar. 1C mashed has 200 cals, 1 fat, 51 carbs, 2 protein. 1C of lower fat ice cream (edys slow churned, etc) has 240 Cals, 9 fat, 36 carbs, 6 protein.
    Is the idea that you would prefer to have carbs/sugar as opposed to dietary fat? If so why?

At least for me, I just don't buy ice cream. I don't have the self-control to have a container and eat just a little.... I'm more inclined to have bananas in the house, even though I don't love the taste. It gives the texture/pleasure associated with ice cream, but I imagine I could eat a little and walk away...
  • julekinz
    julekinz Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    oh, was wondering how to type this in for meals on food report??? guess just put in banana and add the rest
    of what we put in blender?? separate???

you could add it to your "recipes" in MFP, then, whenever you make it, you don't have to add everything separately! :wink:
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Chapman's frozen yogurt is a good icecream substitute. I like the mint chocolate flake and cappucinno flavours (96% fat free or something)
    For a cup I think its in the low 200`s
  • Littlemissjackie1
    Littlemissjackie1 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm totally going to try this!
  • bullet27f
    bullet27f Posts: 5
    Options
    bump
  • nye373
    nye373 Posts: 19
    Options
    I didn't mean to send some of you into sugar/calorie panic over the idea of using 3 bananas. I just do that so I have some left over. Just use one banana if you prefer. Personally, I would rather get my sugar from natural foods than something refined or chemically created.
  • shedding60
    shedding60 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Mmmm. So good!
  • Susan2BHealthier
    Susan2BHealthier Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    bump