Replies

• TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I typically eat them.
  • NGMama
    NGMama Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Toss them with tomato, avocado, sea salt and cilantro. Maybe some chopped chilis as well.
  • TKishjr
    TKishjr Posts: 21
    Options
    I typically eat them.
    This. They're pretty delicious.

I've seen a few recipes for cookies/deserts made with them. I'll try one or two out, just to see how they taste.
  • ria1111
    ria1111 Posts: 2
    Options
    I love black beans! If you are talking about the dry ones. Rinse them out in cold water a couple of times and then leave them to soak over night. The next morning I put them in my crock pot with enough water to be about 3 inches above the beans add cumin, chili powder, salt and a bay leaf. Then I use them for everything! As a side, with eggs over easy on top and avocado, drain them and put them in salad. Make burritos. They are wonderful and so good for you.
  • rhonnie66
    rhonnie66 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I typically eat them.

Bwhahahha :laugh:
  • mehaffeymk
    mehaffeymk Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    ^bahah! i don't know HOW healthy it is, but i mix a frozen bag of corn with a can of beans, half a diced onion, 3tbsp olive oil, juice of one lime (or just lots of squirts of the lime juice in a bottle) and cilantro. sometimes when i have it, i mix in a diced tomato and half a diced avocado too. and i love the lime juice so i pile it in there. so yummy!
  • marjoleina
    marjoleina Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Add to:
    Cooked Lundberg wild rice, canned chopped tomatoes, cooked chopped carrots, chili's, cumin and a little sea salt.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Toss them with tomato, avocado, sea salt and cilantro. Maybe some chopped chilis as well.

Thanks for this!

They're canned... I'm no good in the kitchen so unless I'm going to just rinse and eat, I need some ideas on how to season or what to mix them with.
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Lots of vegan hamburgers use black beans as a base.

Delicious on the grill.

I like to blend them into the toppings on a nice romaine salad with vinaigrette dressing.
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Black bean salsa: Black beans, cubed avocado, tomatoes, onions, cilantro, minced garlic, sea salt & pepper to taste, eat some with wheat thins. Or you can sub the avocado for some mandarin oranges for a sweeter version.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Saute some onion, garlic, add the beans, salt, pepper, maybe a little cumin. Eat with some chicken and rice.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    ^bahah! i don't know HOW healthy it is, but i mix a frozen bag of corn with a can of beans, half a diced onion, 3tbsp olive oil, juice of one lime (or just lots of squirts of the lime juice in a bottle) and cilantro. sometimes when i have it, i mix in a diced tomato and half a diced avocado too. and i love the lime juice so i pile it in there. so yummy!

Yum! Thanks :D
  • kjerstenkipp
    kjerstenkipp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    toot...just kidding (sort of)...If I have a can I heat them up, add a generous squirt of lime juice (half a lime) and a dollop of light sour cream...tasty
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    My wife makes a mean black bean and quinoa salad
  • V3ggieL0vinGinger
    Options
    I fry mine in coconut oil with some spices and onion and mushrooms...so good! I also like to add them to my tofu scrambles :)
  • supergr33n
    supergr33n Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Brownies! They were soooo good!
  • Marigenous
    Marigenous Posts: 57
    Options
    one can of black beans, one can of chick peas, a diced cucumber, a few diced tomatoes, a couple diced carrots, half a diced red onion, some chopped green onion, 3tbsp of red wine vinegar, 2tbsp agave or honey, and 1 tsp of hot mustard. It's delicious.
  • sortin
    sortin Posts: 78
    Options
    They're canned... I'm no good in the kitchen so unless I'm going to just rinse and eat, I need some ideas on how to season or what to mix them with.
    I generally don't cook either.
    Black beans and rice are a standard around here, yet it wasn't mentioned.
    Get a pack of yellow rice, follow the directions. It's simple-
    Bring water to a boil. Dump in rice. Let it simmer with the lid on for like 20 minutes or whatever the package says.
    About 10 minutes into that, set up another smaller pot with the beans to get warm. They just need heated up, so low heat should be fine, as long as it's done around the time the rice is done.

Rice onto plate, beans onto rice, eat. I like mine with finely chopped onions. Cheap, simple, and tastes good.
  • heddylyn
    heddylyn Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Black-Bean-Soup-with-Cumin-and-Jalapeno-109772

Makes 4 servings Per serving: 368 calories 40 carbs 15 fat 19 protein (Servings include the "toppings of Feta cheese, cilantro and green onions).
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I put black beans in a big salad with grilled chicken, cheese and crunchy tortilla strips, topped with salsa instead of dressing.
    Or sometimes if I don't have anything for salad, I just mix them with the rest of the ingredients.