will quitting drinking really help THAT much??

Options

Replies

• fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    This is a great article on the subject, with references:

http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Hey kids!
    ...and when I do drink, I'll drink about a pint and maybe 1 beer. Do you guys really think if I stop drinking all together that it will show?!? Or if I cut it down to once a month?? Let me know what you think!

A pint of what? I assumed beer but then you said a pint and a beer!
  • shanice_22
    shanice_22 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a problem that you drink as you don't drink a lot but cutting it out should naturally make you lose a bit of extra weight as you are automatically reducing your calories.

If I have a night out I'm terrible and probably drink close to 1000 calories.. lol.. but I very VERY rarely go out drinking so I think that it's ok.

If you want to cut out drink though then go for it.

x
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Booze is empty calories, so YES, it makes a huge difference.
    I drink a few on my "free day", but gave up drinking totally during the week. If hooching it up is that important, maybe there is a larger issue to address. When it comes to achieving optimal health, anything more than moderate drinking will derail your progress.
    Believe it!
  • AussieRachG
    AussieRachG Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    As said by a couple others, I don't think that amount is unreasonable, but it doesn't hurt to give it a try! If it's something you enjoy doing socially and are responsible with it, I think moderation is key! Maybe also look for lighter calorie drink options, light beers for example, and I've heard dry wines are commonly more low cal than other types of wine.

Be careful of light beers for those who don't live in the US... for the rest of the world, 'light' beer means light in alcohol, not light in calories... I've had quite a few American friends consume an alarming amount of 'light beer' and wonder why they don't get drunk and put on heaps of weight...
  • JoshRogers81
    JoshRogers81 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You would probably do better to give up ketchup or Ranch, or anything you do EVERY day, 200cal a week is not a huge gainer...Not a professional, just my opinion. ;-)
  • dyn3428
    dyn3428 Posts: 14
    Options
    Alcohol is just liquid calories!! and nutrutionally crap!! You don't have to give it up if you can work in it. But I would rather have some ribs or a sandwich.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    you can do it occasionally but I know there the same amount of calories in a glass of red wine as there is in a big mac =) but if you do it like once a month you should be fine =)

Ahh what?! Your telling me a glass of wine is over 500 cals? Lies.
    Wow, that's a big glass of wine you're having.

That is my kind of glass!
  • oOTaraOo
    oOTaraOo Posts: 29
    Options
    I have actually started drinking more since I started my diet - lol. I have 1-2 glasses of red wine maybe 2-3 times a week. I have lost 4.3kg (approx 9.5 pounds) in 21 days. I find as long as I track al my calories I am still losing. I use it as a treat when I go out salsa dancing - I like to relax a little.

I do find I seem to retain water more if I drink more than the 2 glasses on a weekend.

The bonus though is now I am eating less I get tipsy quicker so don't need to drink as much as I used to :D
  • XjuliaXannX
    XjuliaXannX Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    might help
  • cakeums
    cakeums Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    you can do it occasionally but I know there the same amount of calories in a glass of red wine as there is in a big mac =) but if you do it like once a month you should be fine =)

Where are you getting your info from?! Not even CLOSE. A standard 750ml BOTTLE of red wine has fewer calories than a Big Mac. Not to mention there's no heaps and gobs of saturated fat and cholesterol...
  • hipsdontlie1
    hipsdontlie1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    That is great for you!!!!!! :)
  • hipsdontlie1
    Options
    I usually drink white rum and diet coke! NEVER drink regular pop. ever.
  • hipsdontlie1
    Options
    I would definately give it a try. There are alot of cals/carbs in alcohol and why would you want to let all your hard work and exercise go to waste? Friends should be supportive and encouraging no matter what because they should know how important this is for you. Having a good time isnt about the drink its about the company you're in. Even try switching to low carb or light beer ot cut back to once a fortnight. Good luck, and well done for wanting to try something new if other things arent working. Alot of people would just give up. Keep us posted on how you go :-))

Thank you!!! Your message was very encouraging :) and I'm definitely going to give it a try!
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I can say it would probably greatly help me as I lose all food inhibitions when I drink!! :drinker: But am I willing to give it up... probably not... I want to have my cake and eat it too!
    Good luck in whatever you chose to do!
  • hipsdontlie1
    Options
    Hey kids!
    ...and when I do drink, I'll drink about a pint and maybe 1 beer. Do you guys really think if I stop drinking all together that it will show?!? Or if I cut it down to once a month?? Let me know what you think!

A pint of what? I assumed beer but then you said a pint and a beer!

pint= a bottle of rum (12oz)!! and I drink it with diet coke!!
  • DonttrythatwithME
    DonttrythatwithME Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    can i party with you, i love me some rum
  • dogberry3
    dogberry3 Posts: 21
    Options
    I think that if you include your drinking in your daily calorie intake then it won't make a difference. I like cider personally and so about 3 times a week I include a pint of cider as my snack. It means I can't have other things that day but some days what I'm really craving is that cider. You will find that you won't drink as much if you have to take calories from other meals because drink is really empty calories but to have a drink once in a while is fine. If you make that drink a red wine the health benefits will be better for you than just beer or a shot.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Quitting drinking is a responsible decision. We always seem to eat more when we do drink and more than 1 drink is hard on your liver

This, and I've noticed that my body is a lot more sluggish when I run the morning after I've had even a glass of wine!
  • danielgunson
    Options
    Surely... it's all just about being within your calorie goal? I sometimes have a pint of beer..

I go out on some Friday's. It's just about having a sensible low calorie day to support the additional alcohol calories....

OH and, less calories and food in the day means drunken quicker = cheaper night! Classic!

If you can't for go the temptation to then eat pizza after a couple of drinks.... thats kinda your problem