Cursive Writing

Options
12346»

Replies

• SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    We don't teach penmanship in NYC schools. We don't even teach letter formation explicitly to kindergarteners. The premise is that through exposure to letters and words and literacy they learn letter formation. Truth be told my kids learned to write on their own because I do my job as a parent and they are surrounded by letters and words and know what an A looks like and they can replicate the letter on their own without letter formation practice. The problem is that not all parents do that. My 6 yr old who is just going into 1st grade can write in cursive already because she was interested and I bought her a book and my 5th grader knows how to write cursive because I think it is important and got him a book. I also printed out sheets for him to practice his name. I think if something is important to you as a parent then you have to do your job as a parent and teach your kids. Parents are a child's first teachers. With the focus in schools being test scores and No Child Left Behind parents have to pick up the slack. If it is important to you then teach it to your kids, along with teaching them respect and sympathy for others and empathy and morals. Parents aren't teaching their kids those things either. There are only so many hours in the day and in the grand scheme of things cursive isn't something we have an hour in the day or even a week to focus on in the classroom.
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    It depends. If universities are going to continue having examinations with handwritten papers as submissions, then surely you would want your kids to be equipped to deal with that. But if universities (and other institutions) could accept word processed submissions - a tablet on every exam table? - then fair enough, why bother?
  • caberselli
    caberselli Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    They stopped teaching it years ago in our schools & I didn't think much about it until now. My 16 year old "signs" his name by "printing really sloppy" according to him.

His new problem is his inability to read cursive writing. He is doing courthouse research - looking at old deeds (working w/ land surveyor) and is having a heck of a time reading the old documents that were written in cursive writing - from before computers or typewriters, even! This is a critical skill he needs to do this type of work.
  • cmp_denver
    cmp_denver Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Speaking as a teacher, I'd love to have the time available to teach cursive (it's not a bad skill to have). There are many peer-evaluated research studies that show that cursive actually helps kids improve their fine motor-skills, and their spatial thinking/reasoning abilities. However, the reality of the situation is that with all of the standards and things things that states require (and test kids on), I don't have the luxury of time in which to teach it. Some parents at my school have complained that we don't teach cursive. I ask them "Would you rather your child learn to read/do math/think" or learn cursive? " Most of them don't think cursive is as important when framed that way. I also suggest, for those parents who can't get over cursive (because it's what THEY learned in school), that they can help their child by teaching them cursive at home (there are tons of cursive practice books out there).
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    We can stop teaching them math while we're at it since we have calculators and all that.

For real. Our kids are becoming more and more stupid, because we're requiring less and less. We are slowing becoming one of the most lazy and stupid countries in the world!

Yes, we most definitely are. But, not because of cursive writing. Lol.

BUT we ARE, and one thing that writing by hand DOES DO is imprint spelling, grammar, composition, and all those other skills on your brain b/c of the very physical act of writing it with your hand. There are different neuro pathways used when you are working at a computer than when you do things by your own HAND on paper. Even MATH.

So that's what we're missing here (although some other posters have brought this up -- thank you!)

There may be a decreasing "value" in the cursive itself (I said "MAY")...but the benefits of just working through this skill (and many OTHER so-called "antiquated" skills) is that you are developing a way of THINKING, a way of reasoning, another way of learning HOW to LEARN.

The reason I write better than most of my colleagues at work? I did it, all the time. For handwriting, for spelling, for fun, for entertainment.

The reason I can visually "see" if a document or graphic design is lined up, pleasing to the eye, effective? I spent time pasting up copy by hand in school, and when I got a job pasting up ads on a Mac, I could meld the hand-done skills that trained my eye with the computer skills to do some very detailed work better and faster than my contemporaries.

And now I work with databases all the time, even though I was an English major. I taught myself most of my data skills on the job, on the fly.

These "useless processes / practices" make your brain FLEXIBLE, TRAINABLE, and CREATIVE. There's an intangible value there that we are missing. And we're going to miss it a LOT more when kids don't have these things and grow up without these qualities.

Make sense? :huh:

OK...rant over. :wink: Sorry, I'm very passionate about this.

And if you wanna read a good book that talks about these kinds of things, read "The Gutenberg Elegies" by Sven Birketts. He wrote it before cell phones and the internet were so common, but he predicted everything we're already seeing.
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I have had this conversation numerous times. It saddens me that they aren't teaching things like this to our children. The next generation is so dependent on technology that they have no clue what it is like to be LITERATE. Things like proper spelling, proper grammar, proper pronunciation, cursive handwriting, etc are extremely important things to learn and understand. But, we'd rather raise a generation of stupid, apparently.
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    they've already stopped teaching it in my area.
    In mine as well. They did a semester on it in 3rd grade. More a lesson in learning to read lesson. Then they've never used it again.

I only cursive in cards and writing checks and it had become a print/cursive hybrid really. And terrible! My writing was way nicer before I spent all my time at a keyboard
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    DaughterOfTheMostHighKing Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    many may think that learning cursive is a waste because everything we read is printed/computerized, but cursive training teaches the brain to function differently. you need to use both sides of the brain to do it. it also teaches diligence and patience. both my children learned cursive when they started school. my son in pre-school, my daughter in kinder. my son learned to sit still and be a 'completer' of work and what it means to do excellent work.
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I learned cursive, and I never use it. I have very speedy print writing that runs together somewhat anyway. I should also note that I figured out how to read cursive well before I started writing in it.

I honestly see no reason to keep teaching it. Every job that I've worked requires print.
  • DrowningMermaid
    Options
    If the school won't teach my daughter proper handwriting with cursive lettering, then I will. That's all there is to it. Writing something by hand may be an antiquated notion but it's pleasant to look at and when you take the time to write something down by hand and give it a little extra flourish, it shows you at least took a few minutes away from texting to care.

I still use print as well as cursive handwriting and I've had so many compliments on the way I write. I love it, I always have loved it and my child is already looking forward to being taught how to do it herself.
  • Charmed285
    Charmed285 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    removed. how often does anyone actually write in cursive? The only time I do is for my signature and even then it's not really required, some people just print. 3, 4, 5th grade, which ever is was, was the most time I spent writing in cursive and that was just one class for a little while; when they stopped and moved on to another subject I stopped writing in cursive. I remember the teacher said once you get into jr high, high school and so on everyone would be required to write in curisve most of the time...liars.. not once did I write in cursive. I'll admit, I sort of lost my touch, I can write, but it's not as pretty.
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    there are many studies that show that teaching a child to write engages more of the neural net and helps to integrate right and left brain...

PS I write in cursive most of the day ---all day...