Tell me what you do with Black Beans

Options

Replies

• payupalice
    payupalice Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I like to mix them up with a little salsa and brown rice.

There's also this muffin recipe: http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/recipes-valentines-day-dark-chocolate-strawberry-muffins.html
  • OfficerFuzzy
    OfficerFuzzy Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I like to mash them up, mix them with a few other things for texture and flavor and make homemade veggie burgers with them.
  • Linbo93
    Linbo93 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I make bean salads with black beans a lot! Mixed with raw chopped onion, pepper, tomato, cucumber, kalamata olives, sometimes artichoke hearts, some fresh lemon and lemon peel, cilantro, and I eat it cold as lunch! I'll also take that same bean salad and use it on top of an actual salad with grilled chicken or shrimp, or on a burrito with ground turkey. Its tasty, healthy, and versitle!
  • carriparton
    carriparton Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    bump - these sound great!!!!
  • eml48341
    eml48341 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    www.skinnytaste.com is amazing! She has sooo many recipes that use black beans. I am including a few of my favorites :-)

Fiesta Lime Rice http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/04/fiesta-lime-rice.html

Crockpot Chicken Enchilada Soup http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/12/crock-pot-chicken-enchilada-soup.html

(This is one of my FAVORITE things to make! I add some extra spice and it is so good over brown rice!) Quick and Deliciouso Cuban Style Black Beans http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/01/quick-and-deliciouso-cuban-style-black.html

I also use them in chili and to make black bean corn salsa- http://allrecipes.com/recipe/heathers-cilantro-black-bean-and-corn-salsa/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=black bean corn salsa&e8=Quick Search&event10=1&e7=Recipe ... really any way I can :-)
  • i_am_losing_it
    i_am_losing_it Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    This thread got me in the mood for black beans. I used chopped boneless skinless chicken breast baked in salsa, microwaved the drained black beans, cooked brown rice, mixed it all together (including a few tblsp of the salsa), sprinkled with sharp cheddar popped in the microwave long enough to melt and then added fat free sour cream. OH so very yummy! mmmm mmmm had it for breakfast too! :)
  • andy2486
    andy2486 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Put them on a "mexican" or taco salad with corn...so yummy.
    Add them to taco meat to give it a little more body
    mix with rice
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    black bean and sausage soup, yum
  • ndblades
    ndblades Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Love em! I put them on a tortilla with cilantro lime rice (easy to make as well) --- I will also add "fajita" seasoned chicken, peppers, etc... but just the beans and rice is good. I also saw a REALLY good lookin' recipe for Black bean Burgers on skinnytaste.com - have not made them yet however.

The only thing I don't like, is don't forget about them in the fridge -- it doesn't take long before they start to stink!
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Spicy Italian Soysage Soup!
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options

I have a simpler version of this (sorry if this has been shared already). You can add spice as you like, I like mine mild but you can do tomatoes with spices or add a can of chilis :wink:

1 can black beans (low sodium)
    1 can petite dice tomatoes (no added salt)
    1 can corn (no added salt)
    1.5 pounds chicken breast (boneless/skinless)
    1 tbsp Mrs. Dash Southwest seasoning

Put all the ingredients in the crockpot and cook... I do on low for 8 hours

After cooking, shred chicken and let sit for just a little longer so the juices seep in everywhere.
    Enjoy!!

I had 5 services of 10 oz each that were 1 serving being: 263-cals 24-carbs 2-fat 38-protein 251-sodium 7- sugar
  • starcatcher1975
    starcatcher1975 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I mix them in with meat and seasoning for tacos, or on salads (especially southwest type salads), or over yellow rice, or in soup, or if I'm too lazy for that and hungry I just open a can drain and rinse and eat them. I do like some of these suggestions though so I'll be trying them some new tasty ways :happy:
  • RobynDCrossman
    Options
    I eat them.
  • legendary781
    legendary781 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Black Bean and Corn Salad

1 can of black beans
    1 can of sweet corn
    I can of Rotel with lime juice and cilantro
    Fresh chopped Cilantro, salt, pepper, cumin to taste
    1 avocado diced
    Squeeze 2 medium limes
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Throw them away....yuck!~
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options
    I love black beans.

Husband made a great Cuban sofrito-black beans-rice dish Monday night that we've been eating all week. We had some leftover slaw from a cookout Sunday and I added lime juice and colantro to that to serve on the side.

If you want to look it up, there are recipes on Cook's Illustrated and Cooking Light.
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I also make Mexican Style Stuffed Peppers with them too!! FABulous!!! :)
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I typically eat them.

Bwhahahha :laugh:

Damn I've been using them as suppositories, someone told me they help you poop. No wonder they aren't working.
  • hungergames324
    hungergames324 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    put some on a sweet potato!

I put like 1/2 cup of cold black beans on a baked sweet potato.

sounds weird, but so good!
  • ludgerclay
    ludgerclay Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I push them to the side of my plate so that I'm not tempted to eat them and produce a room full of gas...