Tell me what you do with Black Beans

Options

Replies

• lvpthemvp
    lvpthemvp Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Can of rotel. Can of black beans. Blend. And instant soup.
  • VWilson_Momoftwinsplus1
    Options
    Make chicken burritoes!!! Along with some brown rice, salsa, and your choice of sauce. (I typically skip the cheese :-( )
  • Pascali
    Pascali Posts: 3
    Options
    Rinse, soak overnight
    Drain, rinse, cover with water, bring to boil & boil for 15 - 20 minutes
    Rinse again (a few times) cover with water & bring to boil again
    Simmer until tender (depends on where you live) seems like a few hours for me
    - the point of the repeated rinsing & boiling makes for gas-free beans!
    While the beans are simmering, I add garlic (lots, maybe 3 cloves), ground cayenne pepper; sometimes other seasonings depending on my mood.
    When done to my preference, I drain the water and usually serve over brown rice and if I have it add a dollop of sour cream & some chopped tomatoes.
    - Remember NOT to add salt until the beans are done cooking (this goes for all beans & legumes) as they don't get any softer after you add salt.
    Black beans are a wonderful thing! I didn't read all the replies, so forgive if I repeated information already given.
  • direwolfprincess
    direwolfprincess Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Saute some onion, garlic, add the beans, salt, pepper, maybe a little cumin. Eat with some chicken and rice.

This, but I can also substitute chicken for eggs. Makes for a delicious and satisfying meal!
  • slimmergalpal
    slimmergalpal Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Sorry if repeat but I add to rice with salsa, cumin and tomatoes (chili powder if you like). Yummy - then I can portion out and do what I want with it rather mix in with scrambled egg, make burrito, add cheese and sour cream with chunked chicken, eat as a side by itself, etc. I also take black beans by themselves and add directly to eggs with sourcream and a little bit of cheese and make a breakfast burrito with it. Just be careful with the can. I buy the low sodium and find that they taste just as good.
  • peasgarden
    peasgarden Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I love black beans!! Yum i do:
    Turkey and black bean chili (the veggies i add are celery, carrots, peas,and lil bit of corn) Its super delicicious and filling!! :)
    Mashed black beans as mexican refrito (just add chopped onions)
    Seasoned black beans as salad toppings!! :)
  • going2befit4ever
    going2befit4ever Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • kpederslie
    kpederslie Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Wow! So many yummy suggestions! Saving this thread for later. :)
  • arock1000
    arock1000 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I found this on a can of black beans and it's amazing.
    Ingredients:
    Black Beans, 1 can
    1/4 cup Red onion, diced
    1/4 cup Fresh or pickled jalapeno, diced
    1 cup Corn (optional)
    1 tbl chopped fresh cilantro
    2 tbl balsamic vinegar
    salt and pepper

Drain gook out of can of black beans. Dump all ingredients into small pot. Cook on low/medium until all ingredients are warmed through. It's a yummy side dish for chicken.
    If you cook it longer it will be more mushy (you can also mash it) which is good to add to burritos or eat as a dip. Kind of tastes like a spicy refried bean dip.
  • k011185
    k011185 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I make a 'enchilada casserole' with them about once a week. The first time I made it my husband would NOT believe it was low cal at all, it is really cheesy and creamy.

No fixed measurements... but about a cup of both fat free sour cream and cream cheese, a handful of grated cheddar, 2 cans of well rinsed black beans, enchilada sauce, spices, (I usually use cumin, chipolte, garlic, a touch of cinnamon). A finely chopped jalapeno, onion, and green pepper and about a cup of shredded chicken. Mix all that together.
    Then in a casserole dish layer salsa verde, (I make my own and have jars and jars!), a layer of corn tortillas, then the entire mixture of beans/cheese. Then another layer of corn tortillas and salsa on top. Then I crunch up a small handful of tortilla chips and a handful of shredded cheddar, bake at 350 til nice and bubbly.

1/6th of mine comes to 300 cals, 29 carbs, 9 fat, 22 protein and 5 fiber. (and that is a big piece!)
  • jandueporti
    jandueporti Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    bump! everything sounds so awesome =)
  • areber07
    areber07 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Blackbean Porkchops

8 porkchops
    2 cans black beans
    1 1/2 cups salsa

Cook porkchops till done
    Add in two cans of blackbeans( in juice) and salsa and let simmer for about 20-30 minutes!!!

Yummy!!!!
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I feel this is like the "shrimp" scene from Forrest Gump.

Black bean burger,
    black bean soup
    black beans and rice
    black bean and smoked turkey chili
    black bean, roasted corn, avocado salsa
    black beans for baking in brownie recipes
    black beans for baking in cookie recipes
  • gwengogreen1
    gwengogreen1 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    put them in a bowl with cilantro, rice, and some sort of spicy meat, with cheese, lettuce and sour cream! :D and i dip some chips into this mixture

(its called CHIPOTLE!)
  • dbb9263
    dbb9263 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I make spicy black bean burgers. I especially like them in a soft corn tortilla with salsa
  • Chickabittie
    Chickabittie Posts: 272
    Options
    BUMP for later! Thanks everyone, I love beans and lentils. : )
  • Jstash88
    Jstash88 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Leave em on the shelf :(
  • ash12783
    ash12783 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    one of my favorite "healthy" meals is a tacoless- taco salad. I mix a pound of extra lean ground turkey (cooked with diced onions and seasoned to taste), then I add a can of drained corn, and a can of black beans. I serve it over a bed of shredded lettuce, garnished with homemade salsa and a slice of avacado. mmmmm wish I had some right now lol.