Do you "check in" when your weight goes up?

Options

Replies

• BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I have been plateauing for a while.......and the scale has gone up and down a little...................and I hate it! I decided NOT to weigh more than once a week, because it's depressing me.

So.............question for ya'll..........DO YOU note your weight GAINS in MFP? Or just your losses.

Me? JUST the losses.................

Same thing here! I am trying to ween off the daily scale stepping and go to once a week, ITS SO HARD THOUGH! And to answer your question, no, I do not register weight gain, only the loss.
  • glenbabe
    glenbabe Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I have never gained since I started ....I only weigh once a week ...which is the recommended time to weigh....weighing more often does not give a realistic reading as weight fluctuates daily ...you should weigh on the same day at the same time and with similar clothing (although I weigh in the buff :blushing: ) My weight stayed the same over the festive season which I was pleased about and I am only 4 pounds from my final goal and then I will allow a 2 pound fluctuation up or down ....If you stay firm and determined it can be done ....it depends on your mindset and what it is you really want more food or less weight for your health and I know what my priorities are.....If I do gain I will log it because you need to be honest with yourself or whats the point to the whole thing ....you would be just lying to yurself and you know the real truth.
    Hope you get the goal you crave :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Yes I do, especially since I lost a little too much and am now trying to gain a few lbs back.......
  • cds2001
    cds2001 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Yes. That way when you lose what you gained it counts as a loss and you're getting 'credit' for the work. If I were to gain 15 lbs but didn't log that high weight it would be somewhat discouraging not logging a loss while losing that 15 again. Plus, it's just being honest with yourself and accountable. I usually record my weight 2-3 times per month on scheduled days.
  • enyo123
    enyo123 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I weigh it all, and I weigh it daily. The fluctuations can become permanently upward if I don't pay attention to them. I watch for trends and then compare it to my food and exercise diary to look for correlations.
  • aliciagetshealthy
    aliciagetshealthy Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I personally don't record gains because my weight loss has not be linear <at ALL> and only losses post to your wall for your friends to see. I don't like getting "credit" and "wtg's" for losing the same pound twice as my weight fluctuates up and down. If I had any kind of significant gain however, that would be different. I would input it and state the gain to my friends.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Yep. I weigh in every 2 weeks and if my weight goes up, I post and tell my MFP pals. I need to be accountable, particularly as I near my goal weight, as I feel that those who follow my progress need to understand that on this journey there are both highs and lows.
  • Brandi0418
    Brandi0418 Posts: 63
    Options
    I log everyday up or down. It holds me accountable for actions and it's working for me.
  • shaelataylor
    shaelataylor Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    i weigh in every sunday and note it, good or bad. so far the worst ive had is no change though but if it went up i would log that also.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I log all my weights, gains or losses, otherwise, what's the point? I understand weight fluctuates and I like seeing how what I eat and drink affects my weight. Imo, not logging weight gains is like not logging your cheaty meals or days.
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    Yes! I weigh in on Wednesdays... And if it goes up I log it. And If it goes down, I log it. It's not about de-motivation or depressing myself... it's about being Honest with myself. Maybe once a week is too often, maybe I should do once every two weeks, but whatever that weight is on Wednesday, I log it. If I don't, I'm just lying to myself.

^^ This
  • lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I don't check in if I go up 1-3lbs.
    But since I put all 20lbs that I lost a year ago back on, I obviously had to check it on :(
  • onecutey
    onecutey Posts: 14
    Options
    Nope - too depressing - just work till it comes down.:mad:
  • deejaycee114
    deejaycee114 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    my "check in" is every monday morning, and yes, i log it every time, whether it's a gain or a loss. helps me take responsibility and own up to a few bites i shouldn't have had the prior week. :tongue:
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses......good to know I'm not alone.

For those who said they record gains as well as losses, because they don't want to "lie" to themselves, I guess I don't see it that way. I KNOW I've gained, I am being honest with ME..........I just don't have to tell the world that, imho.

It's much more motivating to me to see that I've lost 23 lbs, and if I go up a lb or two, I just keep working to get BACK DOWN to that...........and sooner or later, the scale will move again, and it'll be even less than 23 :blushing: :blushing:

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK, my friends. YOU are awesome! :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

I'm a little confused. You have a ticker to show everyone how much you have lost. You want everyone to see that but at the same time say you are being honest with yourself even though you don't record your gains on here for everyone to see, so in essence it isn't about you being truthful to everyone but just yourself??? Why not record it for everyone? It's part of your weight loss journey? You are in here for encouragement right? How can people encourage you if you aren't honest with them? I'm just curious.

I log once a week whether it is a gain or loss. To be honest with myself and my friends, that way even if I am eating right and working my butt off they can give insight as to what I'm doing wrong.....
  • nacobi
    nacobi Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I will plot my gains but I DO NOT weigh in when I have my cycle because because I always put on 3-5 lbs. I weigh in the week after my cycle after all of the fluid gain is gone.
  • Afrikangirl
    Afrikangirl Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I cannot stand for my ticker to go backwards....which means I have not been able to record anything for a while. I slacked off for some time and gained back about 10 pounds....I will log losses after I have re-lost this 10 pounds. In my mind...this 10 pounds is already lost....so I am going to keep it that way :)
  • Snitch1
    Snitch1 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    When the moon is behind the second star, and Jupiter aligns with Mar's..I dunno, I think I have, but, most likely, 90% of the time, a Big Fat NO!
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    Yes, I check in with a higher weight as well. I don't check in the day after my cheat day since I know I'm up there. What's cool is when you lose weight MFP will post on your profile that you lost so and so pounds, but if you gain weight it doesn't say anything.
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    The only thing that keeps me from recording the weight every day as it changes,

is that I don't want my MFP friends cheering me on for losing the same few pounds 5 times in two months sometimes you know?

Every time you lose, it announces you lost it. But if its weight that you've been at for a while or you were already tthere a month ago, you're just fixing a gain you had... I don't know. It would be interesitng for recording purposes though, so maybe i will do that just to be accurage (losses and gains)