Vegan vs Health

Options

Replies

• _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Vital wheat gluten (75% protein) is the main ingredient of seitan (say-tan), which is a meat analogue. Field Roast makes vegan 'roasts', luncheon slices, and sausages with this wheat-derived protein. There's no soy in them at all. They can be found in most natural food stores.

Also, if soy isn't a problem, this new product may help people who love meat go vegan, if that is their desire:
    http://beyondmeat.com/
  • Izzy1218
    Izzy1218 Posts: 3
    Options
    I've been meat free for 2 years and I've never been happier a lot of people think it's unhealthy but honestly you can still get all the nutrients your body needs without all the hormone injected biproducts out today. My doctor hadn't seen me since I was 228 and eating whatever I'm now 145 and healthier than Ive ever been at 27 years old! It has a lot more benefits than people realize it's just lack of knowledge that causes people to say it's just unhealthy!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    No matter what you decide to put in your body, you need to be smart about it. I do worry that they're going into it thoughtlessly. As long as you do your research you're fine, but I've seen quite a few of my friends say "well I'm just ordering the sides instead of the mains" and those sides have little to no nutritional value.

Eat thoughtfully and you'll be fine.

I actually use a vegan rice protein powder by NutriBiotic. It's grainy, so I mix it with pudding powder and shake it all up in unsweetened vanilla almond milk. It's really good . . . and I'm not vegan.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Vegan is a lifestyle, not a diet. You need to check to see what reasons you have for going Vegan.
  • payupalice
    payupalice Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Check out Eat to Live ( http://www.drfuhrman.com/weightloss/about.aspx ) Engine 2 ( http://engine2diet.com/ ) and Oh She Glows ( http://ohsheglows.com/ ) for lots of suggestions on healthy vegan eating. I recently went back to veganism, and I don't find it difficult at all.

Oh, and Fat Free Vegan ( http://fatfreevegan.com/ ) has great recipes, too.

Happy eating!
  • kdlfit
    kdlfit Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I went vegan in March of 2011. I was a vegetarian for 3 years, then went back on a high animal protein diet to try and gain muscle, but then just couldn't handle it anymore. I think I OD'd on chicken breasts and turkey patties. I'm 52 years old and have more energy now than ever. I've been working at gaining lean body mass and losing fat seriously since 2009. I'm 5'7" and weigh around 122 to 126 lbs and am less than 20% body fat. My goal is to gain 5 pounds of lean body mass and lose the last - last 5 pounds. My husband was not on board with the whole vegan thing until he was told his he needed to get his cholestertol levels down. He tried the statins, but they made him feel awful. He saw how good I was doing on the vegan diet and after watching Forks Over Knives, he began eating vegan. Not 100% like I do, but around 90%. He lost weight and his cholesterol went down to normal levels. His doctor was amazed. No drugs needed! So to gain your families support, my advice would be to be the example. Make the commitment to yourself and ask for their support in a loving way. Since I've gone vegan, I became a certified personal trainer and have been asked to speak at our church about health and nutrition, I train other women on a one on one basis and have helped them lose and keep the weight off. If people don't want to go 100% vegan I just encourage them to add more veggies and fruit and decrease processed foods. I never try to persuade anyone. It's being the example that has worked best for me. Enjoy the journey. Take it one day at a time. I LOVE eating living foods because I KNOW they are feeding my cells with all the nutrition they need. Live food = life.... Dead food = well, you get the picture. I choose LIFE!
  • viscumin
    viscumin Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am a biologist, just so you have an idea of where I'm coming from. The human body is designed as an omnivore, meaning we eat both meat and vegetable matter. For me personally I eat meat, but try to make the most ethically sound choices possible, such as getting my proteins from local ranchers where the livestock is treated humanely and raised without hormones. And also incorporate lots of veggie and fruit. That being said it is possible to be vegan and still be healthy; however you need to eat a great variety of food, including nuts, seeds and grains. But you may still need to supplement especially with calcium, iron and B vitamins. Not getting enough calcium and vitamin D can effect bone density so watch for that. If you and your family are really concerned about the dietary changes you want to make try getting baseline vitamin and mineral levels before you begin, it will take a simple blood test and then again after you have been st it for a month or two. That way you have actual data to make your decisions.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    You can't change their minds. And there is no reason to. You need to do what you feel is best for you, there is absolutely no reason to involve anyone else. Veganism takes some work to do correctly but you certainly can get compete nutrition without eating animal products. Don't worry about what other people think.

^^^^ This. Being a vegan can be a little work because you have to make sure that you get nutrients that our tasty little critter friends so conveniently concentrate for us, but it CAN be done. And if you intend to do it, there are two simple rules - don't try to push it on anyone else and don't allow anyone else to push anything else on you. We're all adults and we get to make our own food choices.

Sadly, some eating preferences become like religions to some people, so you'll always be a food infidel to someone and they'll try to talk you out of it using everything from disdain to broscience. But try not to become a vegavangalist in return, because it'll just alienate people. ;)
  • gwengogreen1
    gwengogreen1 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    vegan is unnatural! cave people werent vegan... i think u should stay carnivorous, you will lose weight easier, ecause of all the protein :D

plz nobody get offended. this is just my opinion.
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, if I went vegan, what kinds of foods and how much quantities would I need to eat to meet my macros and TDEE with the following info:
    2150 calorie TDEE
    Protein: 225g 42%
    Carbs: 123g 23%
    Fat: 92g 35%

Note: I'm low-carb currently following a modified primal diet and max my carbs at 125g.

Truly high-protein veggies I thought of: Chickpeas and Mung beans...

Foods to avoid: all soy-based products.

Rich Roll has a new book out that might have more detailed info for higher protein intakes. http://www.richroll.com/ Also here is a site (http://www.greatveganathletes.com/) that list all sorts of vegan athletes and body builders. Some may have books/articles for you on that topic. I'm probably taking the bait here, but there is a chance that many of these athletes have found protein levels that high (as well as carb levels that low) were unnecessary for optimal performance. Vegan or not I'm guessing protein powder is playing a role in 225g/day. You could choose a vegan powder just as easily as a non-vegan one, and aim for the rest in higher protein intake from beans, whole grains, nuts, veggies etc. If I could eat 2150 cal a day and was interested in maxing out protein, I could hit 80-100 grams with no powders (not making any assertions about carb counts though).
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    You can't change their minds. And there is no reason to. You need to do what you feel is best for you, there is absolutely no reason to involve anyone else. Veganism takes some work to do correctly but you certainly can get compete nutrition without eating animal products. Don't worry about what other people think.

^^^^ This. Being a vegan can be a little work because you have to make sure that you get nutrients that our tasty little critter friends so conveniently concentrate for us, but it CAN be done. And if you intend to do it, there are two simple rules - don't try to push it on anyone else and don't allow anyone else to push anything else on you. We're all adults and we get to make our own food choices.

Sadly, some eating preferences become like religions to some people, so you'll always be a food infidel to someone and they'll try to talk you out of it using everything from disdain to broscience. But try not to become a vegavangalist in return, because it'll just alienate people. ;)

Now, those are some fabulous responses! I'm still laughing at vegavangelist. LOL I second all of this!

There's no need to try to change other people's minds. It's your body and it will tell you what is best for it if you listen. It has nothing to do with anyone else. It's just between you and your body. If you feel pulled to become vegan, go for it, but don't try to get other people to agree. I've found that sharing my favorite foods with my family can work wonders for helping them see that I'm not starving myself. (It works best if you present it to them as a "side dish" even if it's your main dish.) Also, don't expect your family and friends to provide special foods for you. Take responsibility for your choice and make sure you always provide your own vegan foods. Let them see how much you enjoy being vegan, how good the foods you eat are, and how healthy you look, and eventually they will come to accept it. If you don't make a big deal out of it, it will just become part of who you are for them.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    You will have to be more mindful to ensure you're getting proper nutrition, and it will be more of a challenge than if you were a meat-eater or even a vegetarian, but of course it can be done.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    You can't change their minds. Who cares what they think anyway?
    This is YOUR life.
    Do as you please, and some people will not approve.
    Everybody is rejected by somebody, and nobody is accepted by everybody.
    That's realty. Good luck to you:flowerforyou:
  • gonnabethinandfit
    gonnabethinandfit Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Vegansim is very healthy, it gets on my nerves when people claim vegan/vegetarian/pescetarianism etc is "unhealthy". Not true at all. Actually, just because you aren't actually getting a lot of protein from vegetables does not mean you aren't getting enough. With the right combination of vegetables you can get all 28 amino acids. Health food stores also sell a lot of different things to get your protein from, I've been told that it's just the brand I bought that makes it kinda gross for shakes etc, but I have hemp protein powder. I believe there are a few more vegan protein powders. I very, very, very strongly recommend reading the book Skinny *****... it's written by americans so a lot of what they say is a bit different than here in canada, but it can't be that far off. Other than what they say about food laws etc, they give many more reasons to be clean and vegan in a no BS manor. I loved it. I'm currently a pescetarian just because my protein intake has to be so huge while I'm losing weight. I eat a lot of sardines because I read that they're overpopulated anyways.. but there is no way I would put a dead animal carcass in my mouth, or any over-fished sea creature ever again. Once the weight is gone I'm going totally raw, vegan is the way to be.. fruit and veggies for life!
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    vegan is unnatural! cave people werent vegan... i think u should stay carnivorous, you will lose weight easier, ecause of all the protein :D

plz nobody get offended. this is just my opinion.

Urrmmm you really can't say something offensive and then tell people not to be offended. That isn't the way the world works.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    You can't change their minds because they're right.

Sorry. I completely respect veganism for moral reasons but it's not a healthier way to live.

Agree about it not necessarily being healthier. The moral reasons I just don't get. Those that go vegan must be wired differently to feel overly compassionate towards using animals for food. This is not meant offensively. For example some folks may have impulse control issues which is due to a certain area in the brain.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Vegans as a group are statistically healthier than vegetarians or omnivores.
  • jld66
    jld66 Posts: 18
    Options
    I am a partial vegitarian...I eat chicken and fish only...no red meat or pork since 1984. I would love to be vegan, I am convinced that way of eating is the healthiest. I have read much on it...but reality is...I am realistic and I dont think I can. There is a place called https://www.halifestylecenters.com/home where it is a one week, basically one on one retreat that teaches you. At the end of the day, I truly feel that if a diet works for you that includes meat...go for it. And it other diets work for others that too is a blessing. GO with your heart. Opinions are like A_ _ h _ _ _ _.....everyone has them. If you believe in something enough,,,it will work. As long as that belief includes fresh foods and not processed ones. Happy eating everyone. Many blessing for a monumental amount of success <3 Which ever path you choose :) JUST MAKE IT COUNT!!!
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Nicely said jld. Ultimately, choose your path.

But what is the healthiest diet - does it mean the diet that allows you to get all the required nutrients from your foods. If that is the case then a varied diet would be the healthiest. A vegan diet requires supplementation so it doesn't supply all the nutrients. A very low carb diet will also be lacking in certain nutrients.
    It then comes down to digestion and your absorption capacity. Some could have the healthiest varied diet in the world but don't absorb their nutrients very well.
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Try vegetarian first, then go for vegan. It's a huge switch to go from one to another.
    Being a vegetarian is much healthier than being a meat eater. You DON'T need supplements when you're eating a vegetarian diet. Just eat healthy.