Strength training burns more calories than cardio.

Options

Replies

• arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I don't strength train for the calorie burn, I strength train for the strength training.

Yep. How about dips and pull-ups? Lots of benefit, but not much burn.
    My dip workout is three sets to burn out. If I can 16 reps I increase the weight. I get a great burn. Same with pull ups. Not sure if I understood your meaning about not much burn.

At the moment I can do three sets of 5 pull-ups. Great exercise, but not a big calorie burner. Muscle burn - for sure!
  • wookiemouse
    wookiemouse Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Regardless of whether it's true or not - it certainly can't hurt. I'll tack on a 15 min HiiT at the end of my strength training sessions 2x a week and see what happens. It'll get my step count up for the day if nothing else. :)
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    you can't use a hrm to gauge calorie burn during strength training AKA anaerobic exercise. But muscle burns more cals at rest so you burn MORE in the long run than doing cardio alone. I lift so I can eat whatever the hell I want and look damn good doing it :bigsmile:

We already debunked this on page 2 i believe.
    and yet the thread goes on.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Totally agree, my trainer also told me today something I've read on the forums here before: High intensity cardio interval training also is more effective for fat burning. Your body just can't adapt to it. Guess what I'll be doing tomorrow?!? Maybe some stadiums, too!!!:love::love:

ETA: when your body adapts to a workout, it becomes more efficient and finds ways to conserve energy, thus reducing your caloric burn for the same workout. Keeping your body guessing is the way to go, IMHO.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Since I started lifting heavy I am seeing some big changes in my shape. My legs and arms especially. I also took some advice from the forums regarding changing my cardio to after my lifting. Really found this much better as I can lift more but still able to do the same amount of cardio as I was doing before.

Everything is relative to you and how your body works I guess but this is certainly working for me.

Now if only I could find some reasonably priced protein bars I would be a happy camper.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Everybody knows that 60 minutes of hard running will only burn around 1000 calories while 45 minutes of weights with 5 minutes of HIIT burns over 1,000,000 calories for two days.

ONLY 1,000,000?

Slacker.

^^^ :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • kerrieberry1
    Options
    I tried strength training with a PT ended up paying for a gym membership I couldn't use as it aggravated old back injuries from 1st of 8 car accidents I was in. Can't lift more than 5lb weights so sticking to bellydance
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I don't strength train for the calorie burn, I strength train for the strength training.

That.

I also don't run for the calorie burn. I run because it's awesome. The calories are an added bonus.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I always get the feeling these threads are nothing more than a couple of guys whipping it out to see who has the bigger ****.

If you like to run, run. If you like to lift then lift. If you want to become fit do both.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I am more recently getting back into lifting and adding running and swimming into the mix, plus I do a lot of quicker paced walking at work. One thing I remember reading years back when i 1st got into lifting and sorta body building is the more muscle mass you have the more your body is going to burn (calorie wise). Perhaps it's possible that for people with a high mass muscle mass to burn more calories this way then through cardio... or it could be very specific based on the individual. Def worth more looking into though :)

One thing that tends to obscure the discussion is the question of scale. Technically, the idea that "increased muscle mass burns more calories at rest" is true, but that statement is often used to describe everything from a basic workout class to a body builder or power lifter who has added 20-40 lbs of muscle mass. It's the nonspecific and indiscriminate application of the concept that makes it misleading, not the concept itself.
  • cspence2270
    cspence2270 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I didn't read any studies or reports or articles on this but I was on a 4 month stand still with my weight loss and my husband suggested I start doing a "warm up" run for 20 minutes on mornings we strength train and i started loosing again and running on my cardio days is also a lot easier. I was amazed at the calorie bun I got from 90 minutes of cardio/strength training compared to when I was just strength training.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I always get the feeling these threads are nothing more than a couple of guys whipping it out to see who has the bigger ****.

If you like to run, run. If you like to lift then lift. If you want to become fit do both.

Given the topic, I think this one has gone rather well. Of course we might also have to thank Lyle McDonald, Alan Aragon and Prof Melancon for the relatively high level of discourse as well.

You do have a point that these discussions too often devolve into meaningless posturing because some people feel the need to assert that one type of training is absolutely superior to all others.
  • cspence2270
    cspence2270 Posts: 229 Member
    Options

That.

I also don't run for the calorie burn. I run because it's awesome. The calories are an added bonus.

I run so I can EAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:blushing:
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Everybody knows that 60 minutes of hard running will only burn around 1000 calories while 45 minutes of weights with 5 minutes of HIIT burns over 1,000,000 calories for two days.

1,000,000 ???

af266292-7727-448d-bade-05829823ce33.jpg
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Ah! This is what I need to hear!
  • MelC2564
    MelC2564 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Great read!
  • akplanegirl
    akplanegirl Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Any recommendations for a strength training program that I can do at home? I am not able to access a gym currently.
    I understand it needs to be full body like arms, back (those I can figure out)...what I am not sure about is how to do leg training with weights at home. Is that just moves (i.e., squats) with weights in hand and increasing the pounds used?

ALSO - Would you consider the weight/resistance DVD's in P90X as "strength training"? Would those suffice for s. training a couple times a week?

Thanks!!
  • Sheilav330
    Sheilav330 Posts: 57
    Options
    I do yoga, and strength training i find that these work for me better than just doing an hr of just cardio but i still do cardio just 2 days a week only my body is backwards that way lol but my clothes are fitting much better than they were a month ago which is great for me my arms are getting stronger :)
  • Kmsnomaha
    Kmsnomaha Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all this information! I look forward to reading it all from the first post to the last.