Strength training burns more calories than cardio.

Options

Replies

• LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Great info. I like to blend the two together, but I always feel like I burn more fat doing cardio.

Yes you can burn fat doing cardio DURING your workout while strength training won't make you burn fat during the workout however since our muscles tear out after each session so our body uses up more calories to repair muscles that can turn means burning more fat even as long as 48 hours after your last workout. The big difference is in the post workout burn.
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I love you, Mr. Incredible!:flowerforyou:
  • Hollie704
    Hollie704 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Good stuff!
  • Xandralexa
    Xandralexa Posts: 87
    Options
    I'm sure everyone's body reacts differently; be it strength or cardio, as well as individual preferences.
    Interesting information nonetheless. Thanks for sharing.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    You are also building your metabolism and making it much faster when you are building muscle.
    Well that's if you are building muscle which is practically impossible to do on calorie deficit (there are some exceptions). And in truth a pound of muscle only burns about 6 calories per day.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9688626
    Cardio burns more WHILE you're doing it, if you're pushing yourself... However, CIRCUIT TRAINING really pushes you... I burn about 800 in an hour of circuit training, and I continuously burn and up my motabolism in the process.
    Hate to tell you that unless you're well over 200lbs, that the 800 calories is exaggerated. It's probably more likely in the range of 450 calories, about the same as a very heavy weight lifting session. Understand that when you circuit train, because of short recovery rest times, resistance is not going to be at 85% of one rep max.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I love how you put your credentials in every forum post and also TWICE in your profile.
  • JeremyM1977
    Options
    A 45-minute strength training session followed by a 10-15 minute cardio workout (65%-75% of MHR) will burn more calories than a 60-minute cardio workout!

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/02/01/what-burns-more-calories-cardio-intervals-or-weight-training/

I think there's quite a few people viewing this in the wrong sense.
    If you are looking at "now", then cardio is obviously going to have the more immediate result.

Much like any other goal, it's a marathon and not a sprint.
    Doing strength training is going to build lean muscle, and lean muscle is going to burn more fat over the long term, practically making your body a fat burning machine even during downtime.

So, in other words, despite what your HRM is saying, this guy isn't too far off.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    you don't need to burn a lot of calories to lose weight
    you just need to eat less aka....at a deficit

I don't do cardio because it serves no purpose to me. Being strong and more muscular is far more useful in my life and line of work.

the site gives you a calorie goal, stay under it = weightloss
    unless you are going over in calories by 1000 you don't need to burn 1000 calories

if you run because you love it, cool......but instead of running for an hour you could just eat less......

seems to me people focus too much on burning calories and less on managing diet.........diet is forever.......but at some point our lifting and running days will be over
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I love how you put your credentials in every forum post and also TWICE in your profile.
    How frickin' irritating..............

Now it's only showing ONCE in my profile:laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I don't strength train for the calorie burn, I strength train for the strength training.

That.

I also don't run for the calorie burn. I run because it's awesome. The calories are an added bonus.

This! I know when I first started training 4 years ago it was all about the weightloss for me. It's just not anymore and hasn't been for a long time. I'm not sure when the switch happened but I am glad it did. For example I spent Tuesday evening doing an olympic lifting session, more than half of which was really technical drills with just a 20kg bar... then a quick 3x3 for snatch and C&J. So I spent an hour for a total of 18 heavy lifts... I can't imagine that I burnt many calories, but I don't care, I felt bad-*kitten*.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options

I don't do cardio because it serves no purpose to me. Being strong and more muscular is far more useful in my life and line of work.

unless you are going over in calories by 1000 you don't need to burn 1000 calories

if you run because you love it, cool......but instead of running for an hour you could just eat less......

seems to me people focus too much on burning calories and less on managing diet.........diet is forever.......but at some point our lifting and running days will be over

Cardio works the most important muscle of them all, your heart. I don't understand how anyone can't find it useful
  • albinogorilla
    Options

Cardio works the most important muscle of them all, your heart. I don't understand how anyone can't find it useful

my resting heart rate is in the 50's.....it doesn't need any work. Your heart runs all the time. Your muscles don't.
  • TyFit08
    Options

my resting heart rate is in the 50's.....it doesn't need any work. Your heart runs all the time. Your muscles don't.

Well each to their own. My husband loved to lift heavy and ignore cardio. He is a former professional athlete. Then one day he started getting chest pains. His blood pressure was through the roof. He didn't even know he had high blood pressure. Now he is on medication. He continues to lift heavy and hard but he throws a jog in there or HIIT too and is gradually weening himself off the medication. Now he realizes a strong heart is more important than the size of his biceps. I think the article the OP posted talks about the benefit of combining strength training and cardio. I think a lot of people think it has to be one or the other but they really work best together.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Cardio v Strenght Training. Personally I prefer the effect cardio has on my body. Feel better(the cleanair outside), and look leaner v looking ripped.
  • albinogorilla
    Options

Well each to their own. My husband loved to lift heavy and ignore cardio. He is a former professional athlete. Then one day he started getting chest pains. His blood pressure was through the roof. He didn't even know he had high blood pressure. Now he is on medication. He continues to lift heavy and hard but he throws a jog in there or HIIT too and is gradually weening himself off the medication. Now he realizes a strong heart is more important than the size of his biceps. I think the article the OP posted talks about the benefit of combining strength training and cardio. I think a lot of people think it has to be one or the other but they really work best together.

just because you don't do cardio doesn't mean you have a weak heart
    mine works better than average and my blood pressure is perfect

I'm not bashing cardio......I just have no use for it. I lift weights 30-45 min 3 times a week and have done that for a year with no cardio. I don't care about burning calories...... Eating less is easier than running around
  • julespringle
    Options
    I only ever did cardio and weight never seemed to change even when I did look ay diet too. I've started doing 30 mins cardio, 30 mins weights 3-4 times a week wioth advice from staff at my gym. Unlike cardio why don't we recieve extra calories on myfitnesspal for doing weights? I rely on these calories as a buffer.
  • TyFit08
    Options

just because you don't do cardio doesn't mean you have a weak heart
    mine works better than average and my blood pressure is perfect

I'm not bashing cardio......I just have no use for it. I lift weights 30-45 min 3 times a week and have done that for a year with no cardio. I don't care about burning calories...... Eating less is easier than running around

Its great that you found what works for you. I'm not saying you skipping cardio would mean you had a weak heart, I'm saying some folks could take care of theirs better.
  • Jerkulez
    Jerkulez Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Great article, gonna update my exercising to include weight lifting (had planned later down the road). However how about playing sports...I burn a very decent amount of calories (1637) in 45 mins playing squash? Also gonna add Bball to the mix.
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Just wondering would you be better to do maybe 20-30mins of cardio before you do any strength training ? When I went to my classes she always said you get rid of fat faster that way ??
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    The title and post is too much of an over-simplification. You need to take into account the intensity of someones workout, rest days required, fitness levels, current weight etc etc etc.

So....it might, then again...it might not.

I really do not think people do strength training for the calorie burning effects in any event, but for body composition. At least, I know I do.